Picking Up The Pieces And Moving On

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 31, 2018

Ok, thankfully that is over. They won two, probably should have won 3 since Monday’s game was right there for the taking, but the bottom line is that they played like a .250 win percentage team. No game today, as God intended, and now all our energy and focus turns to Oaktown where the Dubs begin their brilliant march back towards glory. I know we will all stand as one Flapping Nation as their destiny unfolds. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Derek Holland is a fine #5. But when you’re #1 of the Fives you have a problem. This season that looked doomed after Bum, Smarge and then Cueto went down is realistically in grave danger if we don’t get get one or two of these fivers to start going 6 innings. That may be too much to ask.

1. willedav said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:25 am

Cueto has thrown 32 very good innings this year which is 32 more than Bum. He had 100+ not very good innings last season with monstrous 4.50 ERA.
    bum of course missed a lot of time last year to go with first 2 months already. Each will need to show he can pitch through every turn of rotation a few times before any offers take place.

So if you are SF what do you want in return? Your IF has Belt Panik Craw all GG fields and at least league avg. hitters plus Posey Longo and the intriguing Hanson. You have an OF crowded with mediocrity/young players with some potential. So first off, no to Ellsbury or any other offsetting contract guy.

What Giants don’t have is SPs in system beyond Beede and the 5/5s. Unfortunately no one gives up young ML ready SPs in mid season deals, only lower level prospects. So unless Giants are completely overwhelmed I don’t see sense in trying to solve OF/youth movement to create even bigger hole in rotation than already exists.

• Flavor said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:37 am

I tend to agree with you. Even if they bounce back in form I don’t think Sabean will have a realistic expectation for a a return. It is a bad fit

• Flavor said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:38 am

Although you could make a case that just getting rid of them and their salaries and in bum case his future salary is the win for the Giants

• Flavor said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:38 am

Sorry about that grammar I am driving and voice activation is not always the best

• willedav said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:37 am

Ah the money doesn’t bother me, Giants have a ton of it given attendance and upcoming developments on land. I think SF and Bum will work something out and he and Cueto are good 1-2 punch. They lose Cutch and Pence after this season and they have draft coming up. The West is winnable by anyone with LA crumbling–I’m not giving up and dumping salary for down the road maybes.

2. gianthead said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:51 am

Anyone up for trying the Rays gimmick of starting relievers. Can Dyson and Watson give us two innings and then one of our meatheads comes in and manage to get through 5??? Conceivably no one in the opposing lineup would see any starter a third time through the lineup.

Cueto cant be traded with his injury and I am still a no on Bum. He has two new years on that arm. Posey should be on the trading block simply for salary. Belt has probably never had more value than now. Let’s pray for some other injuries in the league with competitive teams with their first basemen and shortstops…McCutchen will be gone.

3. snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:50 am

Trading Bum would yield substantial load of prospects from the Yanks. I would do it as well to avoid the idiotic move of paying him $200+ million over 6 years, his worst years. This Giants team is going nowhere worth a darn in the foreseeable future with the minor league assets in view. Even Sabean is smart enough to get top prospects for Bum. Cueto has to pitch well before he can be traded, that’s reality. I can wait out a few years of suckitude if there is a plan in place and player development to eventually stop the suckitude. Years of false hope mediocrity to keep season ticket sales up is worse than that…

4. snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:52 am

BTW, the Giants just finished their 11th consecutive reg season month of finishing below .500 for the month…

• Macdog said, on May 31, 2018 at 10:15 am

Hey, they went 2-1 in March!

5. willedav said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:06 am

Something I notice in box scores every day is what pitcher ultimately gets the decision. Yesterday as per usual 20 out of 30 involved in the decision were the SPs. Starting pitching is dominant factor and imo biggest thing holding Giants back. There is enough talent at other positions to contend. So instead of trading what little we have of it away if I’m Sabes I’m trying to develop draft and potentially acquire as much of it as possible.

When Cubs won Series, they traded for pitching (Arrieta and other SPs) including Chapman. Stros acquired Verlander Cole and Morton list goes on and on through Scherzer Gio Gonzalez Rich Hill Chris Sale R Porcello yada yada. Giants don’t have anyone near this level of talent in pipeline and no one is giving up prospects like that either that aren’t hit or miss and deep in low level minors.

6. blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:19 am

“The more I hear about trading Bum and Cueto for “ton of prospects” I think the expectations of the return are very unrealistic.”

Willie, when you put quotation marks around a statement (i.e., “ton of prospects”), that means someone said exactly that. Who ever said that? No one to the best of my recollection. Regarding your general point of disagreeing with trading Madbum, Cueto, or any of our long term contracts, I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

My fear is that we continue to be mediocre or worse, as has been the case for the last 1.5 seasons. Frankly, I do not see this roster getting better if we stand pat, counting on reinforcements from our poor minor league system. Additionally, I don’t see “reload” moves like Longo, Jackson, and McCutchen this season being the answer either. An apt analogy would be a very old car, with 300 to 400 thousand miles on it, where the brakes and suspension are shot, and the engine needs a rebuild.

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:31 am

I said it, and stand by it. The “ton” is a relative term. To me it means big quality and quantity. If Sabean couldn’t get top prospects from teams in play for a WS spot for Bum, with his cheap contract for the next season and a half, then Sabean’s an idiot. I doubt he is. Bum could come back to the Giants after his contract was up, so SF could waste money on him on a long term deal…

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:33 am

I stand corrected and apologize to Willie. That being said, I do agree with you, Loo, and generally anyone else who thinks this team needs some significant changes.

7. unca_chuck said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:25 am

If we trade Bummie, and there will be demand, it’ll be at the deadline when the Yanks could very well be desperate for a starter. Or who knows? Boston may get hit with injuries. Cueto is here for the duration unless he comes back in mid-July and cranks off 3-4 quality starts before the break. That being said, I just don’t see either guy getting traded. Time and again, the FO has stuck with ‘their’ guys too long until they are pfffffffffffft. Even guys like Ray Ray and Rowand, guys who weren’t brought up through the ranks, were kept much too far past their expiration dates. Bummie has the golden key with this team and it comes down to how much money does he want to stay here. We control Cueto so he’s not moving. Unless they get some kind of astronomical payout from the Yanks/Sox, the only team that could even pull this deal, we are what we are.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the fact that no one has run away with the West gives the FO a false sense of security. At least for this year. And shit, who’s to say the Giants don’t reel off a nice little stretch of good ball and get right back in it? Then again, it’s a long way to the deadline and they could flatline instead. Point being, they look like they won’t be buyers or sellers. Even if they tank.

And the Giants MO is to play each season as a separate entity. They’ll end up this offseason dumping Jackson and Blanco at the Dollar Store, and start looking for other bargain basement outfielders as the teams ages another year and ‘3 in 5’ fades further and further into the rearview mirror.

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 31, 2018 at 11:00 am

Tend to agree that a Bum/Cueto trade is not something that is going to happen unless the club is totally blown away by an offer including a “ton of prospects”. Pence comes off the books at the end of this year and Sabevans will take that dough to the dumpster to replace one or more of Suarez/Stratton/Blach/Holland. Infield is set and OF will be essentially the same unless they make a run at Harper which I don’t really see happening.

9. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 11:09 am

I said that, or something similar, a while back, because I believe Bum’s status as a playoff and WS guru means someone like the Yankees or Red Sox, teams with stacked minor league systems, would pay through the nose for a guy who is still only 28 and has one of the best playoff performance records in baseball history.

Argue with the wording if you like, but I think he would bring back a considerable haul, meaning a couple of top flight prospects or several or more just-below top flight prospects. The Yankees and Red Sox have a history of over paying and if they’re in the middle of a push to win it all, maybe one or two other guys in the game (Scherzer? Sale?) would hold Bumgarner’s appeal to such a team, and none of those guys have his track record in the post season. He’s nails when everything is on the line. I’d take him over any other starter with a game 7 looming.

All just my opinion, of course, and I love Bum to death. I don’t want him to go, but the Giants don’t have a ton of options to bolster their talent level that I can see. They can get a jump start on rebuilding the ML team and the minors with a shrewd trade, a la Houston. Then just hope they figure out how to draft and sign top prospects.

This team may start to rebound when Bum and Johnny C return, but they also might not. Another season of this patchwork bullshit would be near unbearable.

GH made a good point above, Bum’s arm has gottne about a year and a half reprieve because neither of his injuries pertains to pitching or wear and tear on his arm. The guy would be fucking beast on an offensive juggernaut like the NYY.

10. sandog said, on May 31, 2018 at 11:13 am

Oh, I think a run at Harper could happen. He’s the modern day Barry Bonds and this team needs the huge jolt he could provide. They were willing to take on Stanton’s salary, so I don’t think the sticker price on Harper will scare them off either. I don’t know if Bryce is willing to come to SF, but I won’t be surprised if we make a strong run for him regardless. (And I’m on board with that idea 100%)

And I’m still on the side of the fence that says we wouldn’t get an impressive return for Bum and we’re better off keeping him. They should have re-upped him years ago, but if I were in charge, I’d try to get him to sign a long term deal right now while his stock is fairly low after 18 months of little or no production.

…and who is Minaj? Hundley?

• Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 11:16 am

You really think he’d come to SF?

• unca_chuck said, on May 31, 2018 at 11:52 am

Iffy but it’s all about the $$$. Baseball makes strange bedfellows

• unca_chuck said, on May 31, 2018 at 11:49 am

Missing in action Jackson = MINAJ

• sandog said, on May 31, 2018 at 11:57 am

Thanks. That’s good stuff.

11. willedav said, on May 31, 2018 at 11:24 am

I understand. It’s easy to watch last roadie and the east coast one before that and say wow this off season experiment (except for Watson) is a fail. On other hand I watch comeback like last night where pitching held them off after obligatory Arenado blast, bats got going and I change tune. I’ve switched them off channel a few times as unwatchable.

On other hand, look at it this way:
    Had bum and Cueto both been healthy to start season and each made 10 starts by now instead of some others, not unreasonable to think SF would be lot better than 4 under .500 and maybe 4 over=equals very much alive in NL West.

Highly recommend Alou bio. Drops unexpected bombshell near end—he is actually in favor of DH. Says it would add strategy (instead of detracting like NL proponents claim) to have another regular player in LU with who can run bases, hit and bunt as opposed to pitchers than can’t do any of above, because they never practice it. Also that having to bat a guy 8th ahead of pitcher ruins that spot because he rarely gets anything to hit.
    And he is in charge of Baseball Academy in the DR with his name for Giants.

• Flavor said, on May 31, 2018 at 11:45 am

the other impact a healthy Bum and Cueto WOULD have had would have been on the psyche of the entire team. I think having this 5 Five shit go on is wearing on the offense because they feel like they have to blast off every night. And there has been an obvious physical and mental toll taken on both the Fives and the bullpen.

• djloo27 said, on May 31, 2018 at 4:29 pm

Good thought, Flavor.
        The first sentence is very Twin-like to me…

12. snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 11:51 am

If you want to shorten game times, and that’s what management of MLB wants, you don’t put the DH into the NL. These AL games of 3.5 hours + and 9-7 scores with a dozen walks aren’t good for the supposed short attention span of the coveted young fans…

13. unca_chuck said, on May 31, 2018 at 11:55 am

Willie, the one diff I see between this team and last year’s is the fat they’ve come back. A lot. A game like yesterday’s was a guaranteed loss last year. This year, they have more comeback wins than the last 2.5 years combined.

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 31, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Slater just milling along manning RF in Sacramento at .366/.452/.626/1.078. Also with 27 RBI which is a stat Sabean always points to as valuable. He’d be 3rd on big club. Team RBI leader is Belt with 31.

15. unca_chuck said, on May 31, 2018 at 12:46 pm

Jesus, I hate hearing that Slater/Duggar are tearing it p in Sacto. Now is the time. Get one of them in to start in CF. Fuck Minaj. Get hurt already! I’m ready to go Tonya Harding on his ass.

Why ! Why! Why!

Here’s a band we can all get behind . . .

16. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 1:20 pm

I’d take Harper in a NY minute. The dude is a stud. I’m just dubious that he’d come and that the Giants would pony up the dough necessary.He’d solve your RF problem for a long time.

17. willedav said, on May 31, 2018 at 1:42 pm

I’d like to hear precedent example of a team over last couple years giving up top prospects in a mid season deal for established vet SP…and said prospects turning out to be worthwhile.
    Only one I can think of off hand is A’s giving up SS Russell for Smrdz to Cubs, obvious steal.

Not that familiar with how Stros got out of doldrums, but 3 of their current 5 SPs came via trade and in case of Verlander they hardly gave up anyone noteworthy. Other 2 were high draft picks…which Giants do have and will use Monday.

18. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 1:45 pm

I’d reply by asking how many of those pitchers had Bum’s resume? Since he’s the best ever in the post season, imo, the answer is none. That makes any potential deal a completely different animal.

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2018 at 3:41 pm

Agree LJ.

19. Flavor said, on May 31, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Wilco– this is from my DFS weather guy. Thought of you. Agree or disagree?
    BOS @ HOU – I am indeed sweating in my own home. I just moved to Houston, and it is just stupidly hot in this city. I’m not being a weather-wimp either, I’ve lived in Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, all kinds of miserably hot places, but Houston humidity is from another world. Point being… they likely close the roof, and if they don’t it’s great hitting weather.

20. snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 3:26 pm

The chance of Harper to SF is less than Bum traded for prospects, a lot less, as in zero…

21. blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Astros score Randy Johnson from the Seattle Mariners (July 31, 1998) for Freddy Garcia and Carlos Guillen. Garcia was 8th or 9th the following year in the Cy Young award rankings and #2 Rookie Of The Year. Guillen was eventually a 3 time All Star and a top 10 MVP.

On July 29, 2009 the Phillies traded Carrasco, along with Jason Donald, Lou Marson, and Jason Knapp to the Cleveland Indians for Cliff Lee and Ben Francisco. Obviously, Carrasco would turn out to be the key prospect in this mid year deal.

Mac and Loo are familiar with this one, and although, not a mid-year deal, who cares if it happens mid year or at the end of the season? Anywho, this trade was big . . . Mets got: Noah Syndergaard, John Buck, Travis d’Arnaud, Wuilmer Becerra. Blue Jays got: R.A. Dickey, Josh Thole, Mike Nickeas.

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Here’s another one . . . CC Sabathia to the Brewers; Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson and a player to be named — Michael Brantley — to the Indians back in 2009 (or 2008???).

• xoot said, on May 31, 2018 at 4:48 pm

In Giants history? Nothing huge, I guess. Rick Reuschel in 87 and, of course, the regrettable Sidney Ponson in 2003.

• djloo27 said, on May 31, 2018 at 5:42 pm

There was the 1997 deadline blockbuster with the Chisox – a half dozen minor leaguers for 3 veteran hurlers…

• xoot said, on May 31, 2018 at 5:56 pm

yeah, I remember what everyone called the Danny Darwin deal. Did any of those pitchers do much for the Giants? Wilson Alvarez pitched poorly against the Marlins, I think. I watched those (few) PS games in 97 at home, on paternity leave. My one-month old son seemed to notice my displeasure.

• djloo27 said, on May 31, 2018 at 6:06 pm

I think Hernandez supplanted Beck as closer at some point…

22. zumiee said, on May 31, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Wow, Randy Johnson was an Astro for a while?
    I have no memory of it.

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Surely there are lots of people with no memory of Johnson as a Giant.

• djloo27 said, on May 31, 2018 at 4:25 pm

I remember him getting his 300th win in a Giant uniform amid a thundercloud of indifference…

• xoot said, on May 31, 2018 at 4:29 pm

he tore his arm up swinging at a bad pitch

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2018 at 5:08 pm

I was at that game Xoot. Great seats too – about 7 rows back watching him practice swings in the on deck circle, seemingly not anticipating what was about to happen to his arm.

• xoot said, on May 31, 2018 at 5:37 pm

wow, when you’re that close you hear things, too.

23. unca_chuck said, on May 31, 2018 at 4:40 pm

Didn’t Carlton get his 4000th k with us? Amid all the sucking?

• djloo27 said, on May 31, 2018 at 5:28 pm

You’re right, Chuck. I looked it up. It was his final K as both a Giant and a National Leaguer.
      Victim #4,000 would end his career many years later as a washed up Giant.
      Guesses?

24. Flavor said, on May 31, 2018 at 5:23 pm

this is mildly amusing, worth re-posting on an dark day

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Dave channeling rutheford b Hayes, Alexander graham bell, or Moses…

25. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Fucking JR Smith submarining Klay. Dirty bastard.

26. snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:03 pm

Dubs with usual sleepwalk first half..

27. snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:09 pm

Curry with the 40 footer to end a crappy first half– dude is unreal!!…

28. unca_chuck said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Jeebus. A T on Dray for guarding Bron Bron?

That play is why I cannot stand LeBron. The acting is phenomenally pathetic. Fuck him.

Was it Rennie Stennett, DJ?

• djloo27 said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:24 pm

No, I mean really washed up – an outfielder…

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:33 pm

Yeah, that was pathetic acting by LeBron, next he’ll try teabagging Draymond again…

29. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Green has to be aware that James is trying to bait him into taking T’s, just like in 2016. He has to be smarter than that. And, yeah, that was some sad acting.

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:48 pm

Just when I feel like giving LeBron props for incredible play in the playoffs, he pulls that acting hurt crap. F him…

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:50 pm

It was like pro wrestling type of acting.

30. zumiee said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:51 pm

Something we saw in last year’s finals is that the Warriors can run on the Cavs.

31. snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:52 pm

Seriously, Swaggy P stinks. Has he hit two Js in a row the entire year? I’d rather see macaw again for his D…

32. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:02 pm

The Cavs are lighting the Warriors up and that’s not supposed to happen.

33. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Kevin Durant is having a shit game.

34. snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:21 pm

I thought McGee in there messed up LeBron…

35. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:21 pm

Why is an ice cold Durant the iso option over and over at the end of the game?

36. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:22 pm

James got jobbed on that one. Charge all the way.

37. wilcojoe said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Flav-sorry for missing your earlier question about the roof at Minute Maid. Here is the easy answer. From here on out, the roof will be closed the remainder of the season. Unless we get another Hurricane in late August or September which usually drives the temperature down considerably the days following, the roof will not be open until next spring.

38. blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:29 pm

What a moron JR Smith is. Fucking idiot.

39. snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:29 pm

JR Smith = idiot…

40. Macdog said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:33 pm

If you’ve followed even a little of JR Smith over the years, that was not a surprise.

41. Macdog said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Damn good game, I hope the rest of the series is like this.

42. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:34 pm

James should get an Oscar for his acting tonight.

43. snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Dubs should not be in OT at home v LeBron and the 4 stooges…

44. zumiee said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Dagger 3 from Green.

45. snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:40 pm

Luv me some Klay!!!!

46. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:43 pm

Wow, a little to close for comfort and a wild ending.

47. wilcojoe said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:46 pm

Whose the Neil Young looking dude with the white scraggly hair, leather jacket and black Stetson hat that always sits behind Warriors bench?

48. blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:48 pm

Mac, he was an idiot when he played for the Nuggets. Dude’s mind is mush, especially when he is playing basketball.

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:55 pm

I remember this from 2006, but Wiki describes it better . . .

“Smith’s first trip to the playoffs during the 2006–07 season proved disappointing. Smith, a 39% three-point shooter during the regular season, failed to connect on any three-point shots in the first four games and was criticized for poor decision-making by coach George Karl. After game four, Karl informed reporters of his plan to bench Smith for all of game 5. Karl said, “He’s done”, and explained his frustrations over Smith’s poor judgment in shooting a three late in the game, “I have no idea what planet that came from.” Karl told the Associated Press that he had drawn up the play to give the ball to either Allen Iverson or Carmelo Anthony. Karl continued, “And then, of course the one with eight seconds to go, from 50 feet, I just love the dignity of the game being insulted right in front of me.”

• Macdog said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Yeah, he’s had more than his share of WTF moments in his career.

49. zumiee said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:48 pm

That’s as great as the Cavs can play, and they still lost.

• Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:52 pm

Good point.

50. snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:49 pm

Draymond on the giving end of a baiting there– that’s unusual. Dubs have to wake up and destroy these guys Sunday…

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:52 pm

I was skeptical about iggy’s contributions, but with him out, they play disjointed, but still win…

51. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Yeah, Smith’s boner may well have cost the Cavs the game. They would’ve had at least one really good look and they only needed a deuce. Lip reading it looked like he said, “I thought we were ahead.” Oops.

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:52 pm

I love LeBron’s reaction. Pure disbelief.

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:58 pm

I wouldn’t blame Lebron if he clocked him in the locker room. Like Mac’s experience with him while he was in New York, he was a complete fool while in Denver. In my mind, he cost the Cavaliers the game.

52. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:51 pm

They really need Iggy back. Curry was on James much of the night and he did a pretty good job, but crap, 51 points? Not good.

53. unca_chuck said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:56 pm

Seriously, James was moving when he got to the spot. That’s a blocking foul. Every time.

That was the right call. The call on Tristan is completely horrible. So the fight with Draymond is nothing because Thompson was already tossed? Great.

54. unca_chuck said, on May 31, 2018 at 8:58 pm

The defense across the board was horrible. So were 2nd chance points. We made Love look like Klay. Love’s a good plkayer, but not like we made him look.

55. Macdog said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:08 pm

Meanwhile . . .

Clayton Kershaw will have an MRI on his back, manager Dave Roberts said after the ace’s back tightened up during the Dodgers’ 2-1 loss to the Phillies on Thursday.

The 30-year-old, who was activated from the 10-day disabled list before the game, went five innings, allowing one run on four hits with five strikeouts and one walk.

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Now, there’s a team that would be crazy to extend his contract beyond his current one which he originally signed in 2014 (7 years). His “seven-year” pact with the Dodgers was really a five-year deal with a two-year option. He can either stay in Los Angeles in 2019 and 2020 for $65 million total, or he can opt out after 2018 and chase greater riches as a free agent.

Dollars to donuts, I bet they’re hoping he opts out after this season.

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:15 pm

The Giants move up; tied for third!

56. unca_chuck said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:20 pm

Better to be lucky than good I suppose. Got a couple huge breaks that’s for sure. That being said, I think they adjust to what Cleve did tonight. Javale had a very good game against Bron Bron so I wonder if he gets more time. The defense as a whole though was terrible. Iggy Iggy Iggy needs to come back. And I hope Klay doesn’t have any lingering issues. That would change everything should he not go.

57. Macdog said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:32 pm

58. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:37 pm

The NBA charge rule is about establishing a “legal guarding position” and movement into that position is allowed as long as the offensive player has not begun his shooting motion. That’s what Van Gundy was talking about, that movement can be there. I thought it was a charge, but they overturned the call to the W’s advantage. It was as close a play as those types of plays get. Regardless, Durant needs to play a lot better the rest of the series, at least in terms of scoring and defense.

There were missed calls on both sides, again. Seems to be the norm in the NBA where big, strong dudes are moving really fast and they know all the tricks.

59. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:38 pm

I hope Tristan Thompson doesn’t get suspended, just fined. I want these guys to go down with all their players.

60. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:41 pm

The last couple of years for Kershaw have really been marred by injuries. He puts so much torque on his body that you have to wonder if it’ll be like that the rest of his career.

61. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2018 at 9:45 pm

Isiah Thomas saying on NBATV that a player always has to know two things: time and score. As a seasoned vet, JR has no excuses, especially during a free throw when all he has to do is look up at the 40 foot scoreboard.

62. unca_chuck said, on May 31, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Since Tristan was already T’ed out, they couldn’t assess another one. I don’t think anything happens, and we certainly aren’t going to cry to the league like LeBron did a couple years ago.

Reffing in the NBA is pretty much a joke. T’s, flagrant 1’s, 2’s, common fouls, they all look different they all look the same. Even Green’s T on the LeBron foul is bad. He’s going up with James to block the shot and gets him in the face and it is accidental contact. The call on Tristan was even worse.

Bron whining in his presser is just gravy.

63. snarkk said, on May 31, 2018 at 10:16 pm

Dubs gotta overhaul that roster in the offseason. They need to switch out Javale, ZaZa, Looney, Swaggy P maybe West, and get another shooting wing in there. Looney is decent defensively and facilitates, but has slow feet and stone hands. They passed up his option, so if they want to keep him, they will have to match some pretty good offers. If Livingston weren’t signed for 2 more, I’d switch him out, too…