Shields Up, Scotty

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 2, 2018

Such a frustrating win. And doesn’t feel like the baseball Gods are trying to tell us something. So close to getting the squad back together and then something stupid like this happens to Belt.

But injuries happen to everyone. Baggs brought up a good point on why these types of injuries to our starters can be so devastating to a team like the Giants. Read on:

“The Giants have not drafted and developed a proven everyday player since graduating Panik to the big leagues in 2014, which is understandable to some degree. It’s an inexact science. It’s not easy to do.

But their struggle to draft and develop replacement-level players? Someone who could play a serviceable shortstop behind Brandon Crawford or catch at Triple-A Sacramento or fill out an affiliate’s rotation better than someone rescued from an independent league? A team needs contributions from those players over a 162-game season, too. A car without an engine doesn’t get out of the parking lot. Neither does the car without $6 spark plugs.”

Belt going down has just about broken my spirit about this season. They can’t withstand this many injuries. They just aren’t built for it…..

1. zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 6:25 am

About a couple of weeks ago I posted: “Belt just needs to avoid his annual weird injury.”

2. zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 6:28 am

There was a great anti-freeze shortage in 1974. Who knew?

3. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:00 am

A big ouch, losing Belt. Now watch, they go on a tear and win 8 straight. Could happen. They could also get torn up and lose 8 straight. Interesting season, no idea what will happen, too early to give up on ’em…..

• chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Agree on the “too early.” Lots of baseball left to play.

4. willedav said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:10 am

16 consecutive shutout innings, wonderful. Good for Strat and Holland settled down the other night after rough early going. Pen guys held Rox and Phils off.

supposed to heat up this weekend. Sunday is day game for the D Rod kid where yard should be OK for hitters.

5. unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:12 am

Well, depending on the operation it could be a 15 day DL or a 60 day. Just have to wait and see. Hopefully it won’t be too long. We just get more kung fu panda. Or more Hot Rod Hundley

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:26 am

Snarkk came back to his job in 10 days on his operation and he said he could have come back to work in 7 days.

Hmm . . . but could snarkk still hit the inside fastball and field his position????

• snarkk said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:33 am

Hey, it’s rough sitting in front of a video screen with lots of typing and phone calls !…

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:50 am

lol

• chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:25 pm

I know! I do it every damned day!

6. unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:18 am

I mean really. Belt spends 2 months of the DL last year and his appendix just sits there. Now that he’s fine, it decides to go on the fritz? Jeebus. If it weren’t for bad luck, he’d have no luck at all.

7. zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:28 am

Do we want to know how Loo greatly profited from the great anti-freeze shortage of ’74? Maybe we don’t really want to know…. 🙂

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:52 am

I have to check if the statute of limitations has run out, Zum.
      I love that you took the trouble to look this up.
      The article is fantastic!

8. zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:45 am

I know what the Flappers want this morning: a nearly 10 minute Lexi video about what she learned in the minor leagues!
    Can Flappers make it through the whole 10 minutes?
    I’m going to say: no, they cannot.
    I’m not anti-Lexi, and I could only make it to the 4 minute mark.
    Maybe I’ll try again later.

• willedav said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:56 am

” I have a website…” oh and a husband who makes $18 mil this year.

• willedav said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:58 am

I guess what’s really scary is how many “likes” or followers she has.

• willedav said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:05 am

did 30 minutes worth of mindless cardio at gym this morning. One minute listening to her is worse torture.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:01 am

I’m sitting at an oil change shop. 30 min back up. I still can’t bring myself towards this.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:05 am

I made it to the 4 min mark, had to turn it off. She mentioned her website at least 6 times but never said what it was about. I’m now going to reflect on why I chose to watch any of this.

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:16 am

I don’t want to be mean, but it was agony.
        Every second of it…

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:22 am

You didn’t learn anything about yourself and reflection after hearing about all those lonely days and nights she spent in a 5 star hotel room? And the rest by the pool, GOOD GOD WHAT DID THIS WOMAN GO THROUGH!???!!

• chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:28 pm

Well, your and Loo’s comments sealed the deal. No way I am wasting one second on her fucking video.

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:23 am

I haven’t watched yet (busy), but who the fuck is she?

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:37 am

Hunters wife

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:41 am

Ahh . . . thanks.

• Macdog said, on June 2, 2018 at 10:06 am

Looking forward to this future installment: Things I learned when my partner was dumped after his $90 million contract ran out.

• chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:36 pm

LMAO…may be some truth to that, Mac.

9. willedav said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:48 am

yahoo had funny story of Phils fan at game right behind home plate with tee shirts aimed directly at Sixers Colangelo, including “Fire BC” and one with last 2 numbers from twitter account.

“Wasn’t for bad luck…” great line from Born Under a Bad Sign. First version I ever heard was Cream Jack Bruce.

Anyone here read K Richards bio? Buddy of mine was telling me about him searching out old blues guys and their recordings to figure out how they got their individual unique sound.

• zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:56 am

I haven’t read it, but I know he uses alternate tunings on some songs. Some people try to play some of those Stones on a guitar with standard tuning, and they get confused why they can’t get it right.

10. Macdog said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:58 am

Flavor said, on May 25, 2018 at 4:10 pm

it’s insane. All of these “Cal Ripkin-esque” players we have, these fucking ironmen, are the worst players we have!!!!!!!!

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:05 am

…and Actionless keeps on tickin’ ….

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:09 am

Belt has appeared to be in pain after running the base paths a couple times recently. Kuiper made mention of knee pain and I think he was pulled from the LU one day because of it too. Point being if it wasn’t the appendicitis it probably would’ve been some knee inflammation shutting Belt down soon anyway. Obviously they can’t replace the club’s best hitter but if McCutchen starts producing they could probably get by for a short time with Slater or Shaw called up to cover 1b with Sandoval.

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:12 am

And I guess more Posey at first vs. lefties…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:15 am

Posey looks like he’s a barley holding it together and can land on DL any second now.

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2018 at 5:41 pm

I agree, Dirt. Here’s Buster during pre-game warmups:

12. Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:27 am

Not having seen the entire video, I can surmise that Lexi spent her days lounging by the pool while someone set up a basic website for her. By night, Hunter slayed her. And this was somehow her coming out the other end to having some great life epiphany? She should go spend a week alone in a hotel in Serbia.

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:28 am

The Giants being the Giants they’ll probably bring up Ryder Jones. I’d forgotten about that schlub but he’s heated up at the plate recently going 9 for 11.

14. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:47 am

Got through 2 minutes of the video . . . In the words of Samantha Bee, “She’s a feckless cunt” like Ivanka is. She needs to do some volunteer work like serving food in a Salvation Army soup kitchen.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 11:14 am

Feckless is a fantastic word, it’s too bad she ruined it with the c word

• YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on June 2, 2018 at 2:19 pm

That was the point of her using it. The enemy is wasting all their ammo firing at the vulgarity while the damning adjective slips through the backdoor unnoticed, throat-slitting knife in hand.

15. Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 11:14 am

Matt Harvey game tonight…..in san Diego

16. zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 12:03 pm

The one part of Lexi’s video that had potential is when she talked about being the spouse of a player who has had a setback. That is a uniquely challenging thing for the players’ wives and partners. What do you do or say after your partner has had a bad game or other setback? The player isn’t usually going to want consoling words or attempts to cheer them up. It’s taken by them as pity, and it’s not what they want. Lexi learned that. The player needs time to process it themself. The player has failed in front of thousands or millions of people. And in the case of baseball, there’s another game to get ready for tomorrow. I do find that topic interesting, but Lexi wasn’t going to take her video into too intense of territory.
    The player doesn’t want their partner making excuses for them either. Brady and Curry were both not digging their wives talking about the refs or another player’s fault or whatever.
    I can’t imagine how tough it was for Buckner’s family after the ball went between his legs. It took him years to get over it, and really it was the Red Sox winning a championship 18 years later that helped the most. He’s still probably not completely over it.
    Sure these folks are millionaires, and there are many worse tragedies in the world. But there is a kind of mental hell that pro athletes can go through, and it’s a challenging situation for their loved ones.
    That would be a great topic for a film if someone wanted to get seriously deep into the topic.

• zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 12:10 pm

Players with young children will talk of how great it is to come home to
      children who are blissfully unaware of what happened in the game.

17. zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Something I find interesting, and maybe I’m the only one who finds it interesting 🙂 , is how, when the player comes back to the dugout, the team makes an immediate judgment on what the reception will be. And years of playing baseball has taught them many nuances of the situation.
    If the player makes an unproductive out-
    Response: no eye contact. Any response can lead to the batter going all red a##. The only exception is if the player hit a bullet and was just unlucky with an at’em ball. Then a very mild positive thing can be said to them or slight pat on the back.
    A productive out gets high fives, but only if there remains less than two outs.
    Hits and runs get high intensity high fives, and HRs are a chance to go crazy.
    What if the player leads off the inning with a single and is out trying to extend it into a double? This is where it’s important to read the facial expression and body language of the batter, and their past behavioral history.
    And there are of course many other scenarios, some involving double plays. When there’s an especially complex moment, I like to look for the dugout response.

• zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 12:39 pm

If a player is going red a## ballistic, throwing equipment and punching Gatorade containers, the response is always no eye contact.

18. sandog said, on June 2, 2018 at 12:36 pm

I can’t bring myself to click on it. I just can’t.

• zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 1:06 pm

That’s usually what it looks like when someone is about to have surgery.

19. zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 1:12 pm

“First baseman Brandon Belt, who left the Giants’ 4-0 win over Philadelphia on Friday night after two innings, had his appendix removed later that evening, the team announced Saturday morning.
    The Giants say Belt should be released from the hospital Saturday afternoon.”

20. mrsprtdude said, on June 2, 2018 at 2:29 pm

Shit..Dobble whammy for me. Belt in my fantasy team too! Cueto too:(
    Guess who’s tied for 2nd in the ML in wins?? Our boy Stratton.

2018 bar bet? 1/3 of the way through the season who has more wins?
    Bumgarner, Cueto , Samardgzija Combined or Stratton? CS leads 7-4!!!!

21. Macdog said, on June 2, 2018 at 3:03 pm

22. Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 3:45 pm

23. Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 4:40 pm

• snarkk said, on June 2, 2018 at 4:42 pm

Cleared waivers in record time.
      Shocking…

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 4:54 pm

i always wonder what the brass thinks when that happens. Like do they clue in that literally NO ONE else wants the guy? Does that mean anything to them?

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 5:11 pm

Reminds me of George C. Scott (the Giants) to Piper Laurie (Blanco) scene in The Hustler . . .

Bert Gordon: You’re here on a rain check and I know it. You’re hangin’ on by your nails. You let that glory whistle blow loud and clear for Eddie and you’re a wreck on a railroad track… you’re a horse that finished last. So don’t make trouble, Miss Ladybird. Live and let live! While you can. I’ll make it up to you.

Sarah Packard: How?

Bert Gordon: You tell me.

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Blanco always struck me as a guy who just loves to play baseball and will do it anywhere, anytime – even for free…

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2018 at 5:46 pm

Was someone else activated?

• zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 5:55 pm

Pence?

24. zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 5:26 pm

The dynamic regarding failure is different in the NBA (and probably the NFL) compared to MLB. If you fail in the NBA, your teammates still high five you and show love, and the failing player accepts it as love, and not as condescending pity. If you miss a free throw, you slap hands with your teammates. I imagine that even after J.R. Smith’s huge gaffe, his team slapped hands with him when he came to the bench, and he welcomed it. Every sport has its own dynamics.

25. djloo27 said, on June 2, 2018 at 5:50 pm

Bochy gives 3 week “baseline” for Belt’s return.
    What does “baseline” mean in this sentence?

• zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 5:57 pm

The minimal time gone? I guess that includes a rehab assignment.

• Macdog said, on June 2, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Whatever it is, Belt will probably run out of it.

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:56 pm

Got it the 2nd time I read it. Good one, Mac!

• chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:42 pm

I read two to three weeks.

26. mrsprtdude said, on June 2, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Re belt baseline…Torres missed 10 days in 2010 I think. I just read it somewhere. Cutch will hit better, and the Panik / hanson duo much improved over Specs / panda / whoever else played 2nd.
    Pence / Williamson hernandez.. Anyone know if pence returns..can Mac play 1st?

Mad bum will be an improvement over whichever 5/5 you see as the 5th best ( Suarez? ). Kershaw down means we still have a chance. 86 wins will likely win the division.

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 6:09 pm

We’re going to have to win the Division, as the WC seems almost impossible IMO.

27. zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Pence is back on the 25 man roster.

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2018 at 6:23 pm

We should all reflect on that…

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 6:26 pm

I never thought I would be saying this, but I am happy about that. Now, let’s see if he has anything left in the tank. If not, I’m all for releasing him (as his only role with the team now is as a utility player). A numbers game.

• Macdog said, on June 2, 2018 at 6:35 pm

Now batting, No. 8, Lexi’s partner.

• chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:22 pm

I am interested, too, and with what he has given this team while here, he deserves the chance. I’m hopeful. He was hitting the ball well after seeing the hitting coach in SoCal. But yeah, if he’s done, it’s gold watch time.

28. Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Harvey imploding….

29. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 6:46 pm

Fortunately, Belt had his operation in the hospital.

30. Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 6:51 pm

What’s this? They’re letting this motherfucker bat for himself? Fucking pull him already! Cinn doesn’t care about winning

• Macdog said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:00 pm

Isn’t the quality start already lost for Harvey?

31. zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Dodgers are pounding the Rockies again.
    It’s up to the Giants to try to wrest control of the division from the Dodgers. D-Backs and Rockies are not up to the task yet again this season.

32. James said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Per Kruk, the Phillies are very “physical.” Is that as opposed to” intellectual”? Or in the Olivia Newton-John sense?

33. chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Been busy as hell today, and had seen no news on BB9. Two to three weeks for an emergency appendectomy …that does hurt, but with getting Bum back Tuesday, and Hansen soon, I am hopeful they can weather the loss. There is still a lot of baseball to play. I just read that Torres came back after 13 days from an emergency appendectomy. Let’s hope Belt heals quick.

34. Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:19 pm

This motherfucker might back into a QS. He’s been awful tonight.

35. Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:20 pm

Oh wait he’s already lost it. For some reason my brain keeps reverting to 6inn/4 ER. But it’s 6/3. Good. Fuck that drunk motherfucker.

• James said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:25 pm

This is a great obsession.

36. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:27 pm

Panda(monium)!

37. zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Hey, Cutch finally caught a ball in triples alley.

38. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Now, that’s what the Giants paid for. Great cutch by Catch.

• chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Helluva cutch!

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:45 pm

I’m trying to project my “inner Mac.”

• chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:58 pm

And doing a damned fine job of it, blade.

39. Macdog said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Flem said that might be the best catch Cutch has made as a Giant.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm

not really going out on a limb with that call

• Macdog said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:12 pm

Ha, right, not a lot to choose from there.

40. snarkk said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:43 pm

Belt on the hospital stretcher — dude had slumpy shoulders.
    WTF kind of pre-surg attitude is that?…

41. chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Can Suarez just get the fucking bunt down?..

• chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Uh, no. Giants pitchers suck at bunting. Pfffttt…

• zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:47 pm

42. Flavor said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:47 pm

San Dawg not happy at all with Harvey tonight. This was supposed to be a free square. But no. No QS for you, drunk Harvey. And with only 1 in the bank and none on the horizon, I’m starting to count my free beers already……

43. chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:57 pm

One thing I like about Suarez is that he works quick…

• chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 7:59 pm

Almost 5-1 K/BB and a respectable 1.25 WHIP helps, too. Needs to lower the BAA…

44. chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:12 pm

Nice work getting outta that jam. Now score some fucking runs….

45. zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:18 pm

The ump has a wide strikezone, but it seems the same for both pitchers.

46. zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:26 pm

I have no memory of that 3-HR game from Huff in 2011. He hit 12 total that season.

47. unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Welcome back, Joe.

48. unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Did Suarez pitch 6?

• zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:34 pm

• unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Huh.He has looked good at times.

49. unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:36 pm

push bunt up the right side fets the run in.

Fucking cutch might as well start each AB 0-2.

50. unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Huh.Looks like an out.

51. unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:37 pm

No, looks safe.

52. Macdog said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Saaaaafe!

53. unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:43 pm

I like Pablo from the left side.

54. chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:51 pm

The last shot of that Panik slide, it looked like he could have been out. Doesn’t matter, baby, run scores!

Nice shutdown by Suarez, and beautiful pick by Longoria. Let’s get some more!

55. chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Oklahoma women had to play two from the elimination bracket, today. Two 2-zip shutout wins. The same pitcher went both games, complete shutouts. Can they make it three CWS titles in a row….

56. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on June 2, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Suarez just pitched the best shutdown inning by a starter all season.
    He and Stratton picked their games up a notch.

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:15 pm

We may have a full house rotation now: 3 fives & 2 fours…

57. Macdog said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:03 pm

Cubs lead the Mets 7-1 — in the 14th inning.

• chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:06 pm

Some crazy shit, there…

58. chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:17 pm

Panik Attack, Part II.

59. unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:18 pm

Cutch with another productive out.

60. djloo27 said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:20 pm

Cutch, who is only 31 and is usually around 25/80 is on pace for about 8/60.
    Does a 250 foot sac fly mean he’s hot now?

61. djloo27 said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:22 pm

The Oaf is looking awful at the plate and may be regressing into his bad habits again.
    He always looks off balance to me when he swings. Sometimes, I think he has both feet off the ground…

62. chipower9 said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:29 pm

Back-to-back!

63. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Well pitched game by both Suarez and Velasquez. GMen better though this evening.

• zumiee said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:33 pm

64. Macdog said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:31 pm

000000000PH!

65. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:33 pm

We need to cut down on the SOs though. Again, we’re whiffing too much, albeit, Velasquez has some nasty stuff.

66. James said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:33 pm

ATT and the laws of statistics, quite the tonic for a crappy pitching staff facing a shitty offense that beat up on SF not that long ago.

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:39 pm

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:40 pm

Agree that the ball park is the unsung hero. What did Kuik say about that one Philly hitter – something along the lines of him being robbed of two hits by the park (correct me if I am wrong).

• Macdog said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:44 pm

Yep, chalk one up for the much-maligned ballpark.

67. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Longo for example is either a SO or a bomb. Usually, no in-between. Couple that with his errors, I’m not seeing why this dude was signed for that putrid contract. It’s great that the 32 year old has 29 RBI, which puts him just within the top 10 among MLB third basemen, but his .293 on-base percentage ranks near the bottom at the position. Longoria does have 26 extra-base hits, but he also carries an unfavorable 43:8 K:BB on the season.

This will not get any better next season and beyond.

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:41 pm

Wow. That K:BB ratio sounds historically bad…

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:42 pm

See tonight Loo . . . Dude struck out 3 of 4 times. Par for the course for him.

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:48 pm

In that last game in Colorado, he struck out 4 of 5 times.

• unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:48 pm

I thought we needed power hitters. If Longo gets near 25 HRs and 90 RBIs, I’m fine with that Belt isn’t going to survive a given season intact, so someone has to drive in runs. Posey has no power left, and Clawfish isn’t gonna get big numbers but he’ll be 12-65ish, so again, Longo is fine. Cutch is the weak link in this lineup.

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:53 pm

We’ll just have to agree to disagree than. Right now at the 1/3 mark, he has 0.8 WAR, which translates to 2.4 at the end of the season. Last year and the year before he had 3.6 and 3.9, respectively. The regression will be terrible this season.

• unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2018 at 10:01 pm

Is Pablo gonna get us 25/90 as the replacement? Hwang? No. Who is the replacement? A AA guy? A randomly determined composite of all the 3-baggers? WOuld you prefer Nooner’s .334 OBP?

Compared to last year at 3rd, Longo is a huge upgrade.

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 10:12 pm

True Unca, but the Giants could have signed you or any Flapper to the league minimum and it would have been an upgrade from the black hole that played there collectively last season (albeit, Nunez did okay in his short stint with the team). Instead, they backed up the Brinks truck to his Tampa Bay house and said, “We don’t care that your middle name is Methuselah.” 🙂

• unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2018 at 10:24 pm

Hey, it ain’t my money. All I wanted was something better than the black hole 3rd base was. Longo takes a few more walks to get that OBP up, great. His D is worrisome, but I’m much more concerned with Cutch’s play as a whole. Cutch has flat sucked on offense and defense. Sure, he’s only on a one-year deal, and like most of these other long term deals, Longo won’t last the life of the deal, but the team did what they did. They are taking a last shot at the prize with the core guys that got them 3 in 5.

This looks as of now like the Giants have a shot to win the West. Which is being helped along by Longo. Sure, the pipers will come home to roost on this deal and many others they’ve saddled themselves with, but I get why they did it. They have a couple pitchers in Cueto and Bummie that could very well take over the playoffs and eke out another ring.

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2018 at 10:27 pm

Don’t get me started on Cutch. In short, we are in absolute, unequivocal, agreement.

• Macdog said, on June 2, 2018 at 9:51 pm

Nats leadoff batter Trea Turner had 5 Ks today while going 0-for-7.