Bum Returns, Dwight Leaves

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 5, 2018

Is there something the baseball Gods are trying to tell us with the Giants crawling back to .500 for MadBum’s “opening day?” That was the percentage most of us threw out there when we discussed what the Giants would have to do while Bum and Cueto healed their broken bodies….

“broken bodies.” That term is hitting me hard right now. Dwight Clark was one of my favorite players of my lifetime, easily top 5 with #6 and beyond well down the list. He and Joe made sure I wouldn’t have to spend my youth not knowing what it felt like to win a championship. I was 12 years old the day he left earth and refused to let that ball hit the ground. Two weeks later we beat the Bengals and literally the rest of my life I’ve known this feeling.

Screenshot 2018-06-05 at 7.32.48 AM

RIP #87

1. chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:21 am

You nailed it, Flav. And Clark is also one of my all-time favorites. When I was playing adult flag football, I wore 87. Rest In Peace 87.

Hollywood couldn’t script this shit. I have been saying (as a big part of FU has) to weather the injury storm and stay close to .500, and to get healthy (especially Bum). Well, here we are, the club has rifled-off five in a row, Big Country takes the bump tonight, they ARE at .500, and only 1.5 out of first place. I am liking this team more and more. Giddy-up!

2. djloo27 said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:26 am

Is it possible that the guys in charge are smarter than we thought?

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:52 am

It helped that the rest of the NL West collapsed.

• willedav said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:54 am

No. Smrdz, hurt or not, sucks. Pence is done and has been for a long time now. Deciding to stay under cap was another dumb move Giants billionaire principal owner did not have to make–that’s why they wound up with Actionless one as starting CF instead of myriad other better options. As for coaching staff changes, I have yet to see any of Curt Young’s pitching projects improve markedly from last year (see smrdz above).

. As Blade and others have pointed out, winning the Division is likely only road to playoffs since they currently trail 9 other NL teams in winning pct. Winning the West is only possible due to completely unforeseen suckitude of Dodgers. Acquiring Longo just so they could dump Span also cost them Arroyo, something that is still up for debate as good move in long run or not.

• Flavor said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:00 am

The bullpen is much better, you conveniently left them out.

• willedav said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:08 am

Watson was a great move agreed but that’s all they did. Jury is still out on FLR and Dyson and we’ll have to see what happens with Blach (who was up and down as SP) there now. Hope Melancon can contribute.

• chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:14 am

I am not sure Pence is done. Regardless, he deserves one more shot, IMO. And I had absolutely no lofty expectations for this team going into the season, yet for the most part, they have been entertaining. I would not absolutely count them out of the WC, either. They are four back, and behind six teams. There is a lot of ball to play, and it looks like this team is starting to gel.

• chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:07 am

Not sure, Loo. They “may” be almost as smart as us. 😉

3. Flavor said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:35 am

They just replayed an interview on KNBR with Dwight from last year. He said “Sometimes I like to just go look at the beach.” That is so typical Clark. A very simple, sweet man. I’m pretty torn up about this.

• chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:11 am

I loved when he was interviewed, and also enjoyed hearing some of the players talk about him. He was absolutely a quality human being who was respected by his teammates, peers, and fans.

4. Lurker John said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:36 am

Good post. Clark will be missed and for a lot more than just being a beloved football player. By all accounts, a great and humble guy. RIP DC.

5. willedav said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:11 am

#24 is Everson Walls, who grew up in Texas and played for Eddie Robinson at Grambling. Led NFL in ints 3 different seasons, only equaled by Ed Reed. I remember reading a story about he and Clark becoming friends, which says a lot about both of them.

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:22 am

Walls experienced the very definition of being “posterized.”

6. willedav said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:30 am

Hey I’m as undoom as anyone watching the Giants so far, I just don’t think FO deserves that much credit. Hope he can continue hot streak, but ain’t gonna miss the Cutch of early season.
    Roster moves have been bizarre so far. More decisions are going to have to be made soon too, big one looming on the guy going tonight.

7. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:30 am

The front office is grasping at straws. At least with position players. They got lucky with Gorky’s rebirth, they struck out with MINAJ, Longo is doing what he should, and Cutch is balancing between shit and shinola. My biggest issue was the pen and that has been a vast improvement, even with Gearrin clogging the gears. TFLR has settled in nicely. Dyson de-sucked himself, Moronta is Petit 2.0. So, given all the injuries and turmoil around the team to start the season, they are in very good shape.

Sure, it all seems to be a high-wire act that could crash and burn in a moment’s notice, but this team is playing a shit-ton better than last year. Mainly based on all the comebacks.That was the kiss of death last year.

We couldn’t hold leads, let alone come back from them. This year is an entirely different story.

It’s all because of Panda. . .

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:39 am

Pablo stepping in for the injured Belt helps a lot of us finally feel OK about Pablo being back on the Giants.

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:43 am

I’m not expecting to ever see many Panda hats again. I can’t see that ever returning. The fan relationship with Sandoval will forever be aware of the business side of baseball.

8. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:49 am

61 is way too young to die. Clark recently jokingly said he’d trade one of his Super Bowls for 10 more years . . .

With his catch Dwight single-handedly turned around a franchise and a city that was in disarray. The assassinations of George Moscone and Harvey Milk were still open wounds in the City, and the rioting around Danny White’s conviction were still going on.

For Niner fans who lived through the crushing defeats by Dallas in the ’70, ’71, and ’72 playoffs, it was still (PRESTON FUCKING RILEY!!!) an ever-present wound that still bothered us all. In one fell swoop, and one leaping catch, (and Eric Wright’s game-saving tackle of Drew Pearson), the 49ers had erased the terrible memories of those playoff losses, and began the run that lasted until 1998. RIP, Dwight Clark, an condolences to your family, and the Niner family as well.

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:55 am

“and Eric Wright’s game-saving tackle of Drew Pearson”

A horse collar tackle that would be a 15 yard penalty nowadays. Different game in those days.

9. zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:51 am

The injuries the NL West teams are experiencing have really leveled the division so far. There are injuries every season, but this season it seems kind of crazy.

10. Flavor said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:17 am

this is such a great pic

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:29 am

A very humble spike, and the team celebration wasn’t over the top, There was still an extra point to be kicked. And the Niner defense would still need to make a stop at the end.

11. zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 10:07 am

The great under-rated guitarist Jimmy Ryan played guitar on “You’re So Vain,” and came up with this tasty guitar solo for the song. Guitar solos don’t have to be long to be great.
    Here’s someone playing the solo:

12. Irish Kevin said, on June 5, 2018 at 10:33 am

DC the best of the best

13. alleykat69 said, on June 5, 2018 at 10:36 am

What’s cool is I still rock the original “Gold Fourty Niners” jacket from the 70’s&80’s a classic that never loses it appeal.A knowing nod everytime I wear it..

• Lurker John said, on June 5, 2018 at 11:48 am

Starter satins. I bought one of those for the G’s when they won the pennant in ’89. Still have it. One of the best made pieces of clothing I ever purchased. I wore the shit out of that thing for years.

• sfsarge said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Loved those jackets. I searched high and low about 12 years ago and I finally found it. It’s still beautiful because i really only wear it to games. By far my favorite piece of gear.

14. Irish Kevin said, on June 5, 2018 at 10:48 am

During spring training there was an article suggesting the Giants trade Bumgarner for prospects. And now that he is coming off the DL, BR has an article once again suggesting the Giants should trade him. It was reported that the Giants farm system ranked 25th at the end of last year. Does anyone here think the Giants would do this

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 11:19 am

I can’t see them doing it this season.

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 11:26 am

The Giants don’t have the people in ownership or in team executive positions who have a mindset to do a tear-down rebuild.

• Lurker John said, on June 5, 2018 at 11:49 am

At some point they may not have a choice.

15. alleykat69 said, on June 5, 2018 at 10:51 am

Did any of you west coat guys ever go to Dwight’ restaurant “Clark’s by the Bay” in Redwood City? Dwight would chit chat some with all the patrons, on How’s your meal, you need anything let me are my staff know. Just a genuine great guy..

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 11:38 am

It’s a compelling case, and Blade and others have made the case also; but the Giants brass doesn’t have that take on things. They’re afraid of massive amounts of empty seats, which happened last year anyway.

“the Giants, who have failed to develop an impact outfielder from the minors for decades”

Ouch. We know it well.

• djloo27 said, on June 5, 2018 at 11:46 am

None chance. Wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a “handshake” deal already in place for an extension…

16. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 11:05 am

We used to live in San Carlos, right by Redwood Shores. Went there a few times. Only saw Clark in there once. Pete’s Harbor was a cool little spot.

I had no idea . . . Anyone know who this is?

randy

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 11:28 am

I remember his band:

• unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 1:25 pm

One of my favorite bands. A highlight of myc oncert-going career was seeing the Clash open for the Who.

• djloo27 said, on June 5, 2018 at 11:29 am

It’s the Macho Man!

• unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Bing. No idea he came up as a baseball player. He was the prototype slow-assed pear-shaped catcher.

• Lurker John said, on June 5, 2018 at 11:51 am

Oh, yeah, I think he was in the Cards system too. He was a really good baseball player, heck of an athlete, which most wrestlers have to be.

• willedav said, on June 5, 2018 at 11:55 am

Dad was a wrestler too iirc, one of the pretty boy bad guys I think.

17. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 5, 2018 at 11:43 am

At the end of the season the club’s glaring flaws were the BP and offensive output. The FO went about improving those areas and early season returns demonstrate tangible improvement. Attributing it to blind luck or the FO somehow backing into it seems disingenuous imo.

Day 2 of the draft today. Wonder if any club will quietly draft that admitted (now recanted) child molester out of Oregon State. Seems like the league could take a firm stance here.

• willedav said, on June 5, 2018 at 12:01 pm

mm I thought CF was first thing had to be tixed, and imo it still isn’t. Gorks, who has certainly worked hard to be where he is, is highly unlikely to continue to be .290 hitter with .800 OPS. He’s more like 4/5th OF at best.

Duggar is LH speed guy who Ks a lot vs. AAA pitching and could be another of long line of AAAA OFs. Jackson is awful as we all know and blanco is blanco
      And Hanson is definition of blind luck. This is the guy I’d give a shot to as potential CF, esp the way he’s played IF.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 5, 2018 at 12:17 pm

None of this is really refuting my point. The club is tangibly better in 2 significant areas. As a team the club finished 2017 next to last with .689 OPS. Currently they’re 9th in league at .739 and a guy like McCutchen hasn’t done much at the plate yet.

Hernandez is almost at 150 abs for the season and performing well. Even when he reverts to his norm at the plate he’s showing that he’s better defensively than Jackson. Hanson is another Sabean dumpster dive special. How many does he need to find before its not just pure luck? He’s has played 11 games in CF. I wouldn’t just run him out there. He’s better as a bench player/super sub imo.

• willedav said, on June 5, 2018 at 12:55 pm

mm what I disagree on is the “glaring flaws” as most important things to be fixed.
        Offense is mostly better because of resurgence of Belt and Crawford. Yes you are right adding Longo is a big add to 3b and Cutch at least is better so far than Pence and anyone else who played RF last year.
        Watson was a great move and has been big help to pen.
        Still think adding an SP was bigger need but like CF giants didn’t want to spend $$$, which sucks.
        Dumpster dives are all about getting lucky and finding one that can play at ML level, as opposed to Maxwell. Hanson isn’t a great D IF so I’d see if he could handle CF.

18. Lurker John said, on June 5, 2018 at 11:52 am

“Snap into a Slim Jim!”

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 5, 2018 at 12:18 pm

John, were you saying you live on Winchester in south SJ? If so, have you tried that BBQ joint-Winchester BBQ?

19. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on June 5, 2018 at 12:43 pm

THE UGLY FIVELING
    Once upon a time there was a starting rotation of five fives. When one of them got hurt, they called up another five from Sacramento. All of the other pitchers mocked him because of his misshaped appearance, he didn’t look them, didn’t throw like them. Then one day, while holding an inverted yoga position, Bochy saw the ugly fiveling for what he truly was. Not a five at all, a beautiful two until Cueto returns.

20. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 1:32 pm

AK, my son bugged me for 2 years to get one of those gold Forty Niners jackets for him. Took a while to find the right one.

21. Stan Shell said, on June 5, 2018 at 3:13 pm

Clark’s catch was about the year after I gave up 4 season tickets at the Stick and moved to Florida. I can remember screaming downstairs after the play. Wife thought I was crazy. Glad I divorced her.
    Clark died of ALS. Didn’t the 49rs have a rash of ALS cases when they were at Kezar? I think Matt Hazeltine was one of the victims. At the time some speculated it was the Milorganite (sic?) they put on the grass on the practice field. Haven’t used that since. At least three ALS cases in a relatively small group of men is a little suspect.
    Chuck, Pete’s Harbor was an incredible place. Started as a beer shack serving LA hot sausage sandwiches on a mud flat with a little junky marina. Been trying to recreate that sandwich every Labor Day. Last I saw Pete’s was a big ass restaurant all fancy like. Is it still there?

• unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Yeah, it was Matt Hazeltine, Gary Lewis, and Bob Waters. They all played for the Niners in the early 60s. They did tests at Kezar of the fertilizer, the water used on the field, the paint, locker rooms, and a bunch of other things and couldn’t come up with any correlation. Other than they were football players. Hazeltine was 53, Lewis was 50, and Waters was 44 when they died.

Haven’t been back to Pete’s Harbor in about 25 years. Used to go there to watch the 4th of July fireworks, and did a couple New Year’s parties there. No idea if it’s around or not. Seeing as that entire area is completely different (no Malibu Grand Prix, no Clark’s by the Bay), I’d think not. I’m sure they are upscaling the fuck out of that.

• Flavor said, on June 5, 2018 at 3:34 pm

haha, my dad didn’t renew his tickets that season either. He had them for the 2 seasons before that. Told me he got tired of all the losing. He blew it big time by giving those up.

22. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Trade Bummie?

A) You don’t make a trade like this in early June, or even late June
    B) We are still in the race
    C) He’s under our control for this season AND next
    D) His stock can only rise
    E) Unless we get a boatload of players, not just prospects, the haul won’t be enough
    F) It certainly ain’t the Giants way

If he craters, then it happens. We don’t sign him to a big deal. If we do trade him, it’ll be next season. If Bummie showed us anything, it’s that one pitcher can take over a series and win it for you. The fact that they are close at this point in the season precludes them from dealing him this year. If Cueto comes back strong, we very well could be in the cat-bird seat by August. Unbelievable as that sounds.

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 3:28 pm

I see a chance of the trade happening in the middle of next season, but not this season.

23. zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 3:26 pm

For Nor. Cal. tomorrow, Facebook only to see the game on a screen.
    It doesn’t affect me, because I’m going to the game, but it totally stinks. It’s terrible treatment of elderly fans. Elderly fans aren’t valued that much by MLB.

• unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 3:39 pm

Ahhhh, shit. I was looking up Pete’s Harbor and found out my hs friend from Serra, Scott Uccelli, who was Pete’s nephew, died 7 years ago at the age of 49. Fuck.

• xoot said, on June 5, 2018 at 4:14 pm

some of us elderly fans can navigate the facebook

24. zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 3:36 pm

Yankees do need a big-time starting pitcher, though. Bumgarner would be high on the Yanks’ wish-list.

25. Irish Kevin said, on June 5, 2018 at 3:51 pm

The problem with trading Bum is he has helped the team win 3 WS, and the 2014 WS he won almost single handily, in the eyes of the fans he is the Giants. The uproar when the Giants trade Matt Williams was nothing compared to what would happen if they trade Bum. All sports is a crap shoot when it comes to wheeling and dealing. What would happen if the players the Giant got all failed or were just good players not great.

26. chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 3:54 pm

I do not see Bum going anywhere this year, and probably not next, either.

27. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 3:58 pm

All I’m saying is if the team craters next year, they would be much better served getting what they could for him rather than let him go for nothing. Regardless of how the brass feels about him, they HAVE to know that letting him walk will only result in someone (Yanks, Boston, (urk) LA) going for him hard. Even they would have to understand that trading him is the only option. Next year.

• Flavor said, on June 5, 2018 at 4:20 pm

totally agree.

• chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 5:45 pm

I completely get it, Charlie, and the flip-side of it is that I have heard there have already been discussions about an extension or new deal. I understand how it could make sense IF they got a really good return, but I believe they will lock him up…

28. Flavor said, on June 5, 2018 at 4:08 pm

29. Flavor said, on June 5, 2018 at 4:10 pm

Also, Timmy released today. He’s in my top 5. My top 5 have taken a hit the last couple of days….
    Joe, Will Clark, Timmy, Steph, Dwight Clark…….

30. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 5, 2018 at 4:41 pm

After Bart, it looks like the Giants are going all in on pitching in the draft again with just an OF and SS sprinkled in.

31. blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2018 at 4:48 pm

Sorry for your loss Chuck. Your friend was far too young to die. Clark’s passing is profound in my opinion because all of us saw his play on the field in the prime of his youth; his humble and low key personality off of it; and at least for me – I contrast it with my own mortality. Consequently, I’m still processing his death. Right now, the only thing I do know from all this (and it’s not much), is that you never know when your going to draw your last breath and don’t delay telling friends and family how much you love them.

32. Flavor said, on June 5, 2018 at 5:16 pm

Brian Murphy wrote this (KNBR). He and I are about the same age. Had me (poorly) holding back tears

“They did it because a Southern boy with a honeyed drawl and movie-star looks raised to catch a pass from a golden boy from Notre Dame, skill honed in the cradle of western Pennsylvania, coached by a cerebral genius in eyeglasses, and defended by a ferocious African-American rookie from Southern California prowling the secondary. They were the 49ers, our 49ers, about to launch into our consciousness forever.

And they stayed a team, to the last breath Dwight Clark drew.

In the end, they caught him, even as he fell.

It was a helluva life, Dwight Clark’s 61 years. It’s so sad he’s gone, because he was such a positive life force. But it’s so great he was here, to make that catch, and to show us how to live, and even how to die.”

• chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 5:42 pm

Wow….

33. chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 5:41 pm

1. Gorkys Hernandez (R) CF
    2. Buster Posey (R) C
    3. Andrew McCutchen (R) RF
    4. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    5. Mac Williamson (R) LF
    6. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    7. Pablo Sandoval (S) 1B
    8. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    9. Madison Bumgarner (R) P

• Flavor said, on June 5, 2018 at 5:53 pm

bats look a lot better with Bum in there….

34. zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 6:25 pm

Fun fact- Carly Simon is the daughter of the Simon of: Simon and Schuster books.
    Which probably helps explain how literary her lyrics can be.
    “You had one eye on the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte.”
    Gavotte? I had to look that up. It’s a type of dancing.
    I always misheard that lyric as:
    “You had one eye on the mirror as you watched yourself go by.”

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2018 at 6:41 pm

Was your district one of the 10 having elections today?

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 6:50 pm

Yes. We’re hoping to get Jeff Denham out of there in the Nov. election. I won’t go into it, but he’s terrible. And he gets lots of outside money, from the Kochs’ PAC and others.
        But, being the incumbent is a big advantage regarding name recognition.
        We need term limits. Denham is in his 4th term, I think.

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2018 at 6:56 pm

A big thumbs up!

• djloo27 said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:08 pm

For a long time I misheard “wife of a close friend” as “wife of a clothespin”…

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:15 pm

Yeah, misheard lyrics can be bizarre. I’ve misheard my share over the years.
        I only recently read the actual lyrics to Rush’s “Tom Sawyer.” I had misheard several things in there.

• xoot said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:17 pm

“crowds in my coffee” always puzzled me

• Macdog said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:32 pm

The song was on the “No Secrets” album. My parents had that album until very recently when my dad, unbeknownst to me, sold their old albums to a local record/CD store. Otherwise, I would’ve claimed it along with a few other good ones they had. Still pisses me off.

35. zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 6:33 pm

Krukow is sporting the groovy ’14 ring.

36. zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Stripling is pitching well for the Dodgers. I think that’s the guy who almost no-hit the Giants in his big league debut. The Giants actually won the game with one or two hits. Someone hit an HR in the 8th inning. I can’t remember who.

37. djloo27 said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:14 pm

Plenty of seats available…

• Flavor said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:34 pm

I was always surprised by all those years of sellouts. Weeknight, weekend, day, night, it didn’t matter. Who has the time/money to go to all those fucking games?

38. djloo27 said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:16 pm

2 snotrockets before his first pitch.
    Bum looks a little heavy…

39. Flavor said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:23 pm

great play by Longo. I don’t care if he’s made some errors, he’s still a very good defensive 3rd baseman. Chumps don’t make that play.

• chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:12 pm

I had just walked in from my workout, and that was the first play I saw tonight. Helluva stretch by Pablo, too!

40. Macdog said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:26 pm

It sure is good to see MadBum back out there.

41. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:26 pm

Thanks, Blade. It kinda ruined the rest of my day seeing that. Way too young. I haven’t seen Scott in years . . .

42. djloo27 said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:27 pm

D-backs sporting the worst of their soot suits.
    In this particular lighting they are almost invisible from some angles…

• Macdog said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:46 pm

I didn’t know there were various shades of soot.

43. djloo27 said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Those cars on the LF wall look menacing behind the Oaf…

• unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:40 pm

Hot Wheels would look menacing behind MTO.

44. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:38 pm

WTF?

45. Flavor said, on June 5, 2018 at 7:58 pm

6 hits? No k’s? Might need this start, eh?

46. chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Nice inning by Bum. Time for the bats to wake the hell up…

47. blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:25 pm

Goldy waking up from his season long siesta.

48. willedav said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:25 pm

freaking Golds.
    Last inning or 1 more? over 70 pitches

49. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:25 pm

Bummie’s dancing with fire but getting through these innings.

50. Irish Kevin said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:26 pm

This brought tears to my eyes, Eddie D still the best owner to ever own a NFL team

51. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:26 pm

He’s got one more inning. I just hope we get Bummie some runs.

52. djloo27 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:28 pm

Why does every play by play guy always have to say the defensive team caught a break on a ground rule double with a man on first? Everybody knows it already and also knows that it’s not necessarily true because either runner might’ve been thrown out on the base paths…

• unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:29 pm

Because 90% of the time that runner scores. SOme cliches are actually true. It’s twue its twue!

• djloo27 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:31 pm

I don’t buy that, Chuck…

• unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:35 pm

If the runner goes on the crack of the bat he should make it with any kind of speed.

• djloo27 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Right, so that’s when they should say it, instead of every fuckin’ time…

• unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:42 pm

Score the basketball, bonus baby, back back back back back there’s a million cliches.

• djloo27 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Everything aggravates me…

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:12 pm

Aromatherapy is good for aggravation…

53. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:28 pm

Let’s goaf!!

54. chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:32 pm

Crawdad!

55. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Gift to let Crawfish go to 2nd.

56. chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Conga line! Cha Cha Cha Cha…Cha Cha…

57. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Nice running by Craw there.

58. blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:35 pm

After that clown play, it’s hard to imagine the Snakes in 1st.

59. chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:38 pm

Bum Slam????

• chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:41 pm

Uh, no. Bum was pissed!

60. blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:42 pm

Gorkys now 3 for 26 per the Snakes Brenly . . . So much for his renaissance. Pffft!

61. zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:42 pm

That’s the Gorkys we’re familiar with.

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:48 pm

As I said last week, there were warning signs all over the place. His BABIP of .400 almost leads the team.
      Hernandez was striking out in 29.0% of his plate appearances and he’s walking in just 4.8% of his appearances.

62. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:43 pm

Come on! A bleeder, a bloop, a texas leaguer.

63. James said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:46 pm

Corbin throwing almost zero pitches in the strike zone to Panik, Gorkys, and Posey. Only one of them walked.

64. alleykat69 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:48 pm

Ugly inning to only get 1 run out of that pfft

65. chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Damn! Another stellar play by Craw!

66. alleykat69 said, on June 5, 2018 at 8:58 pm

How can Kruk say Bum looked sharp?
    He was in the stretch all night, gave up 8 hits, did make quality pitches to get out of jams, but sharp?Dont think so.Good effort overall wearing off the rust,and I see him getting much better with more starts going forward, but he battled tonight.,

• chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:29 pm

He got out of at least one bad inning. But yeah, he wasn’t dialed-in. It’ll come…(that’s what she said)…

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:32 pm

lol

67. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:02 pm

He looked sharp for his first outing I suppose. Oh Buster., WTF?

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:04 pm

Yeah, really bad throw.

68. blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:03 pm

Mind boggling.

69. zumiee said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Corbin taken out at 100 pitches, like clockwork.

70. willedav said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Corbin was pretty tough. 2 of the 4 hits SF has were bloops from Cutch and Sando. Couldn’t lay off that breaking ball in dirt.

71. snarkk said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Yeah, blade, on Gorkys, as soon as I finally started giving him respect last week, he regresses to his mean…

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:25 pm

To your credit – you still indicated he was no better than a 4th outfielder on most clubs (or something to that effect).

• chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Which is true.

72. James said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:28 pm

Gorks a little better this AB. Let’s see if Buster can stay in the strike zone this time.

73. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:28 pm

Buster has another chance . . .

74. chipower9 said, on June 5, 2018 at 9:30 pm