LA Bound

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 15, 2018

All I can say is, I hope our boys got some sleep on the plane. This is gonna be a tired group slogging out their today. But there will be electricity in the air and that can power them up a bit. I’m not expecting much. At least we have our ace going. If you’re playing daily fantasy I wouldn’t slur you for playing a Stripling or two……

Matt Harvey Day. He takes his 5.04 Cincy ERA out there tonight vs Pittsburgh. The silver lining for him is that the Pirates are unceremoniously the one team Harvey’s managed to cobble a quality start against. He’s made 14 starts this year.

The Reds don’t care about winning, this is just a stunt….

1. djloo27 said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:18 pm

Nothing like a motivated Panda!

2. chipower9 said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:18 pm

Panda Express!

3. Flavor said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:19 pm

rally email reposts?

• willedav said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:26 pm

lulz.
      that was his boy

4. blade3colorado said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Panda is the feel good story of the season thus far. Inside track on the McCovey Award imo.

• chipower9 said, on June 16, 2018 at 6:45 am

Good call. A week ago I would have said Craw had the inside track. If Pablo keeps his up, especially in Longo’s absence, he could make it interesting.

5. snarkk said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:24 pm

Pandattack !…

6. willedav said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:25 pm

“Righteous” gotta love it. The way I remember it there was something about Lincecum having a couple burgers and a shake after a start maybe and Twin went off on how unhealthy and what a poor choice that was.

• snarkk said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:28 pm

Didn’t that burger story come out when Timmy was ripping off 10K starts one right after another? And, I said some S like if eating at In N Out produces those results, he should phucking eat there 3 meals a day or some S like that. It was fun…

• Flavor said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:31 pm

someone needs to go find that thread. It’s got to be right around the day of those emails. The best posts were probably zapped unfortunately.

• willedav said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:31 pm

sounds right Snarkk. something funny said in mock seriousness was taken literally and explosions ensued.

7. snarkk said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:26 pm

Whew !
    I’m getting worked up again just reading those Oracle screeds.
    And, BTW, they should DFA Torres — he’s had his day. He’s done, it’s time some people just recognize that…

• Flavor said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:28 pm

“the odious Snarkk”…..

8. Flavor said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:28 pm

that email thread began when I thanked him for sending me a Zito baseball card as a gift….lol, Jesus….

• Bozo said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:35 pm

Good thing it wasn’t a Willie Mays card.

9. willedav said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:28 pm

walks the lead off guy right after rally inning.
    Murph packing his bags right now.
    Bochy has to have somebody up.

10. Flavor said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:29 pm

it’s a little spooky that I was reposting emails about his boy Torres from 2013 and then all of a sudden his other boy Sandoval hits that bomb….

• snarkk said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:42 pm

I liked Torres when he was big contributor to the 2010 season and especially that playoff run. Giants probably would not have won without him, he was a sparkplug, and a good dude. When he turned not so good anymore in 2011, and then post-trade when he came back in 2013, I said so. That’s it, nothing personal. I’ll welcome the dude like the rest when they celebrate the 10-year reunion in 2020. And, it was terrible that his wife died in ’16 at only 37, really terrible with two kids at home…

11. unca_chuck said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Jesus, right, Snarkk. The pomposity is off the charts. My old Unca_chuck yahoo email addy has a lot of nonsensical meanderings like that. Twin had editing right for 2 days on my blog before I shut him down. He was out of his mind with imperceptible slights and egregious catastrophes that needed 10 emails and 2 weeks to reconcile. And I know Flav had 10x as much.

Come on! Win one for the Twinner!!!

12. unca_chuck said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:39 pm

Ray Ray has to go!

• snarkk said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:49 pm

Stone Hands…

13. willedav said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:39 pm

what got into M Kemp? Supposedly LA didn’t even want the guy and he’s been raking all year. He crushed that ball off Johnson, just didn’t get enough loft to hit it out.

14. Lurker John said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:39 pm

Nope, no ego issues with TF. Jesus, the guy could get under anybody’s skin when he was on a roll. Serious neuroses.

15. willedav said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:43 pm

and speaking of spooky, Dodger left reliever has #75.

• snarkk said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:53 pm

If he does Downward Dog to get lose in the Pen, it’s Twilight Zone time…

16. snarkk said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:47 pm

Typical Holland — 5 frames and 3 runs. Not good, but not horrible. Team still in the game when he got the hook. For a #4 or #5, well, that’s OK. But, for a de facto #2, eh, not so hot…

17. Bozo said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:56 pm

Beat LA. Lets go Giants.

18. snarkk said, on June 15, 2018 at 9:56 pm

Rally time !
    Let’s go, Giants!!!…

19. zumiee said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:00 pm

You can see a subtext in one of those TF posts; he was irritated that he had started his own blog and wasn’t getting much response to it, and Blade had started a travel blog and was getting a lot of response to it.
    I don’t remember anything about TF’s blog. I checked it out a few times. I don’t remember it being very compelling, sorry to say.

20. blade3colorado said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:03 pm

Jansen’s stuff is filthy again. Hard to see us coming back here.

21. snarkk said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:04 pm

In the words of Mooch, bummer…

22. Bozo said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Damn, I was hoping for 15 innings to wear LA down a bit. Get em tomorrow.

23. zumiee said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:07 pm

The Giants lost ground to every team in the division tonight.

• blade3colorado said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:13 pm

Yeah, I noted the potential for that earlier in the thread. Just my take, but this series is mucho important to the Giants. I seriously think they need to make a “statement” in this series or they can find themselves going into a deeper abyss, from which they will not recover. Maybe I am overstating the importance of one series.

24. snarkk said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:08 pm

The dropped ball by Actionless cost the game.
    Duggar or Slater don’t blow it…

• blade3colorado said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:14 pm

Yes, that was the key play in this game.

25. unca_chuck said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:10 pm

Good gravy, DJ. Found this on the previous thread to the one you just posted regarding Twins deleted threads. I’m fucked up in the head, sure, but this made me laugh out loud like a MOFO.

__________________________________________________________________

twinfan1 said, on March 12, 2013 at 8:31 pm (Edit)
    Herer’s the first one I deleted, referring to the seizure I suffered while posting.
    Enjoy, pal. Pass it along,.

“DJLoo said, on March 12, 2013 at 7:33 pm

If you had any friends, you wouldn’t be calling for help on a baseball blog, pal.”

___________________________________________________________________

Oh my GOD!! Cruel evil nasty GOLD!!

• snarkk said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:17 pm

Those were the days…

26. unca_chuck said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:13 pm

Exactly Snarkk. I;’m sick and fucking tired of Pence, Jackson, and even Gorkys now that he’s cooling off and even Mac the out all taking up space in the OF while Duggar and Slater kill it in AAA. They can’t do worse. they can only do better.

27. willedav said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:14 pm

Stripling was just better SP tonite. Holland really needs guys hitting ground balls to SS, not dropping bombs over the fence. Jackson hurt him but that one was crushed too and then Puig blasted the rbi. 105 pitches to go 5 innings.

Great to see thread Loo posted with reference to Blade’s around world blog which was always full of great stuff.
    Saw story couple days ago on yahoo about Bourdain, that he refused to do show in Switzerland. something about the place gave him nightmares.

• blade3colorado said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:16 pm

Thank you Willie (and you too Zumiee). The blog took a lot out of me. I have no idea how Chuck and Flav do it every day. It’s amazing what both of them do.

28. zumiee said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:15 pm

The Jackson dropped fly turned out to be crucial.
    The Giants only owe him about $5 million total on his contract. The salary shouldn’t be a big issue in regard to DFAing him.

• Macdog said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:26 pm

Meanwhile in Seattle, Spam hits a pinch-hit 2-run double in the bottom of the 8th to give the Mariners a 7-6 lead in their win over the Red Sox. You can’t make it up.

• blade3colorado said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:30 pm

Preface this by saying that I know many of you disagree with me about my evaluation of this year’s acquisitions:

1. Longo has been a bust in my opinion. Longoria’s contract and age made him a potential land mine for San Francisco. Dealing away Span’s money – $11 million next year and a $12 million team option for 2019 with a $4 million buyout – helps offset some of Longoria’s cost, but we’re still talking about an additional $72 million over the next five years for a team that spent $191 million to lose 98 games last season and is on the hook for at least $175 million this season. This was the season where we should have received optimum Longo . . . Instead, he was on track for the most errors in his career, along with many career low hitting statistics. Plus, he’s injured.

2. MIAJ for the most part has been a fail. He actually has started too many games and perhaps that’s the reason why he hasn’t had many good moments here, i.e., he was supposed to be a utility player and nothing more. Regardless, he came cheap, so I don’t really have too many complaints about him.

3. Watson has been a revelation. With a 1.95 ERA and a WHIP under 1, there’s nothing to complain about.

4. Cutch seems to be getting settled in. However, he’s contributed to our league worst defense (52 or 53 errors after Jackson’s miscue I think). That being said, he is not going to cost us anymore money after this season, so I really don’t have any issues with his signing.

• blade3colorado said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:42 pm

It actually is a big issue. The Giants are still only“slightly” underneath the $197MM luxury tax barrier, San Francisco is narrowly avoiding taxation at this point. The exact amount with which the Giants have to work remains unclear, though the apparent proximity to that threshold would seemingly make it difficult for the Giants to do much at the non-waiver trade deadline without jettisoning some payroll in a trade or receiving substantial cash considerations along with any player they acquire.

Consequently, jettisoning Actionless Jackson without getting some tax relief (via a trade) is probably something they don’t want to do.

29. unca_chuck said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:21 pm

I’m pretty disappointed by the defense provided by Jackson, Cutch and Longo. As a whole they’ve all sucked. They have 15 errors between them. 11 for fricking Longo. Cutch and Jackson have 2 each but that doesn’t account for misplays.

• blade3colorado said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:32 pm

Agree Chuck. As I noted above your post – we have the league’s worst defense. That never use to be a San Francisco trademark during our championship seasons.

30. zumiee said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:23 pm

Tomorrow’s game is the Fox game of the week on whatever your local Fox network is.

31. unca_chuck said, on June 15, 2018 at 10:58 pm

I ain’t as down on Longo as you are, but that can change pretty easily. If he goes back into a funk after he comes back then he won’t be worth the drag and the length of deal if he doesn’t put up solid numbers. I think his defense will come around.

• Flavor said, on June 16, 2018 at 7:26 am

Longo is gonzo Chuck. Don’t have to worry about him for a while

32. chipower9 said, on June 16, 2018 at 6:53 am

Zumiee – re: your DFAing Actionless comment (10:15), I think unfortunately that the five mil is a big deal, in that I believe the Giant’s prime motivator right now is to stay under the cap. If they DFA Jackson, someone has to replace him, and that would make that five mil even deader money than it already is with him on the 25.

33. chipower9 said, on June 16, 2018 at 6:58 am

I remember that in-n-out burger thread. What a trip to roll down that memory lane, again.

BTW – I got another letter from Stix. He asked if the Flap was alive and well, and said “If so, hi to all!”