Finally Beating Miami

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 20, 2018

With reliable pitching always so scarce around mlb I’m still trying to figure out why the Twins just gave up on Dereck Rodriguez. This is the only blub I can find and it falls short in explaining anything:

“Rodriguez took to his position change quickly and eventually reached the Double-A level with the Twins, but his time with the organization ended after last season.”

One thing we can say for sure: Lately, our fives have stepped up into plucky performing 3’s or 4’s. And if we are ever going to break free from the clutches of the .500 monster, we need these guys to keep pitching above their expectations.

If he’s in the line up today, I’m steadfastly calling for a big fly for Mac. Actually screw it, in OR OUT of the line up. I could see a pinch hit bomb out of Oaf today, easily.

1. willedav said, on June 20, 2018 at 7:15 am

Mac got a walk on a pitch outside the zone that he usually swings at and scored a run. He just needs to swing at strikes/get good pitch to hit. Long arms likes to extend, sometimes he’s reaching esp for low pitches and as Loo said a while ago is off balance.

Top 4 of order: 3 for 15, with bomb and HB from Posey and betl rbi walk.
    bottom 4: 8 for 14 scored 4 drove in 4 2 doubles from Hanson Gorks bomb.

Panik…I think his suckitude at plate affecting D. Uncharacteristic flubs last night tho turned 2 nice DPs.

2. Lurker John said, on June 20, 2018 at 7:20 am

Panik has been awful since his return.

3. willedav said, on June 20, 2018 at 7:24 am

I think Giants are gonna find they won’t really miss Strick given quality of those who might close by committee.
    Last night in 4 innings Melancon Blach FLR and Dyson 1 hit 2 BBs and they finally held off freaking marlins for W. And that was without using Watson. Still 5 more games/5 days before day off.

4. willedav said, on June 20, 2018 at 7:42 am

According to cbs site, Holland is 3-1 with 2.01 ERA in day games vs. 1-6 5.58 at night. Gotta be more to that, but hmmnn.

5. willedav said, on June 20, 2018 at 7:55 am

Interesting discussion last night thread about who among kids has best stuff. DRod K’d 6 last night with 0 BBs, and like Suarez only 1 bad inning when he got whacked around.

It appears very soon Cueto Smrdz to rejoin rotation with Bum. If Strat and Holland aren’t going anywhere does that mean DRod and Suarez back to Sac til Sept call ups? Would Giants go 10 day DL rotation shuffle like Dodgers did a lot last year with the bottom end 4/5?
    Interesting to think about potential longer term plans for rotation too.

6. Lurker John said, on June 20, 2018 at 8:10 am

I didn’t see the news that Strickland broke his hand until late last evening. What a fucking dumbass. What is this guy thinking?

• Irish Kevin said, on June 20, 2018 at 8:31 am

He does not think on the mound after he looses it, and he did not cool down enough before getting to the clubhouse, so he was not thinking at all!

7. Bozo said, on June 20, 2018 at 8:27 am

Gorkys juice for everyone!

After watching the Fish put up 3 in the 4th, I said fuck it I’ve see this shit before and went to bed. Glad to get up and see they won.

• chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 9:21 am

Ha! Me too, John! I did sneak a look before snoozing and saw they were up 6-3 in the 6th or 7th. But with the fish, a three run lead isn’t jack-shit.

I too was happy to wake to a W.

8. zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 9:16 am

Closers and their wacky injuries….
    Cubs closer goes on 10-day DL.
    “On Tuesday, Morrow said he had back discomfort that began when he was taking off his pants around 3 a.m. Monday after the Cubs trip home from their weekend series in St. Louis.”

9. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 9:24 am

Bums and cubs had a make-up game? I see where cubbies took them in the second game yesterday, 2-1. Rox won. Snakes lost.

Just get a W (and series win, today).

Next two weeks: 4 against dago (home), 3 against the snakes (away) and 6 against the Rox (3 home/3 away). Need to kick some ass during that two week stretch.

10. blade3colorado said, on June 20, 2018 at 9:50 am

When Strickland finishes his rehab, I want him gone. This is the 3rd time I’m aware of that he lost it – #1 was Salvador Perez in the World Series, where he actually made a racist disrespectful comment, “get in the dugout, boy!” after he allowed a 2-run double to Salvador Perez and 2-run home run to Omar Infante. Number 2 was the Harper incident (which ended a teammate’s career and resulted in his suspension) and now this, where he actually exacerbated the blown save and loss, by punching a wall and being of no use for the next 6-8 weeks. With teammates like this, who needs enemies?

• Flavor said, on June 20, 2018 at 10:12 am

walking up to Brinson and talking shit should count as one, too. That could have easily led to a terrible incident and it would have been caused by him pouting about pitching like shit that game. The 4th should be the broken hand incident.

11. gianthead said, on June 20, 2018 at 10:12 am

I could also see Cheesy Mac punching a door…

12. blade3colorado said, on June 20, 2018 at 10:21 am

I just now read a comment to an article where Strickland was talking shit to Posey after he was brought up in the 2014 September roster expansion. Rather than explain it, I’ll cut and paste the comment here . . . This blew my mind (if it’s true):

“After Strickland was brought up in the September roster expansion. I remember being impressed with his heater and his breaking ball during his first appearance.

Then October comes up, and he makes the 25-man.

This, mind you, against World Series-caliber hitters:

Strickland: I want to bring the heater. Announce my presence with authority.
    Posey: To announce your what?
    Strickland: Announce my presence with authority!
    Posey: To announce your f**king presence with authority?! This guy’s a first-ball, fastball hitter, he’s looking for the heat.
    Strickland: So what? He ain’t seen MY heat.
    Results:

2014 NLDS vs. Walgreens:
    3 IP / 4 H / 3 HR / 3 ER / ERA 9.00

2014 NLCS vs. Cards:
    1 IP / 1 H / 1 HR / 1 ER / ERA 6.75

2014 WS vs. Royals:
    4 IP / 4 H / 2 HR / 3 ER / ERA 6.75

If we’re looking for a guy who learns from his mistakes, we might want to keep looking.

Posted by niko z on Jun 20, 2018 | 9:21 AM”

• Bozo said, on June 20, 2018 at 7:32 pm

I’m not giving Strikland any excuses, but I think those quotes are from the movie Bull Durham.

13. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 10:47 am

Let’s get it on!

1. Alen Hanson (S) SS
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    4. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B
    5. Nick Hundley (R) C
    6. Mac Williamson (R) RF
    7. Hunter Pence (R) LF
    8. Gorkys Hernandez (R) CF
    9. Derek Holland (S) P

Oaf to RF, and Pence with a start as Cutch and Posey sit.

• blade3colorado said, on June 20, 2018 at 10:56 am

Besides the Giants win, I’m predicting 1 SO and 3 ground ball outs for Hunter Pence today.

• zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 10:57 am

The world shall tremble before this lineup!

14. Flavor said, on June 20, 2018 at 10:54 am

Oaf bomb is in the bag today. IN THE BAG

15. sandog said, on June 20, 2018 at 11:36 am

I didn’t see the Strickland meltdown live, but I watched his whole performance last night on my DVR and I don’t think it was that big of a deal. A poor pitching performance and a blown save–that’s it. The knockdown pitch to Brinson was a good one—high and tight, but not right at his head. Now, I don’t blame Brinson for talking some crap after getting the big hit and I also don’t mind Strick jawing back at him. When he left the game, he didn’t go right at Brinson, he just veered to the back end of the dugout to get a little closer to talk some shit to him.
    Now, punching the wall and breaking his hand? THAT was stupid and he deserves a lot of criticism.
    But I see no reason to run the guy out of town. Yeah, he’s got some issues, but so do a lot of guys. And like Dirt said, the temperament stuff is very similar to Bum. Decent pitching is too hard to find to cut a guy for doing some stupid shit from time to time.

…and lets face it, Morse probably loves the fact that his career ended with him aggressively charging into a brawl and catching some friendly fire from Smarge. He was on the verge of getting released anyway. The guy was done. At least he went down in a blaze of glory. Its better to burn out than to fade away.

16. alleykat69 said, on June 20, 2018 at 12:52 pm

Brinson did nothing wrong, if anything he helped expose what a true idiot Strickbrainless really is.Actually if I was Brinson I would of got right in his face and got the benches running out ready to rumble..

17. xoot said, on June 20, 2018 at 12:59 pm

The adversity this team has experienced across the lu is astonishing.

18. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 1:10 pm

TWO! Sounded like a nice turn.

19. zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 1:20 pm

Pence got one of his ground-outs done.

20. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 1:25 pm

I am following on LameDay and listening. I see a note for a defensive switch that says Tomlinson remains in the game at SS. What happened with Hanson?

• zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 1:27 pm

He fouled a ball off his knee and couldn’t continue.

• chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 1:33 pm

Damn! I do not recall a team, in one season (and this one isn’t even half over), being bit so badly by the injury bug. Hopefully Hanson is OK.

21. sandog said, on June 20, 2018 at 1:29 pm

That double play gonna need some ‘splaining too. Maybe the worst MLB baserunning blunder I’ve ever seen.

• zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 1:34 pm

Yeah, how did he lead off the inning and think there were already two outs?

• chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 1:34 pm

Gorkys could pull that off, easily. Dude’s baseball IQ is abysmal.

22. zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 1:59 pm

Pence strikes out, and Blade’s call is still in play.

23. Macdog said, on June 20, 2018 at 1:59 pm

And there’s the Pence K.

24. sandog said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Is Smarge at the yard today? Maybe he can also take out Pence if we get another brawl going!

25. unca_chuck said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:05 pm

Jesus. What a pile of crap. Cy Young is going to throw 60 pitches for the win today.

Nice post, Dawg, but I don’t buy it. Mullet-head has caused a shit ton of problems up to and including the game the other night.

26. unca_chuck said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:07 pm

But I do like the 2:04!! The human wrecking ball approach. He can take out MINAJ in the dugout on his way . . .

27. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Belted! Fuck…ground rule…

28. unca_chuck said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Damn!! Belt to the rescue

29. alleykat69 said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Belt getting it done!

30. xoot said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:23 pm

The new and improved Brandon Belt is very very good

31. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:24 pm

Setting it up for Hundley…time to make that a crooked number…

32. Macdog said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:24 pm

Ground-rule Belted.

33. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Time for the Oaf to deliver on Flav’s prediction…

34. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Please don’t make it fall to Pence…please…

35. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:29 pm

Fielder’s choice…We’ll take it!

36. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:29 pm

Pence delivers! Surprise Surprise Surprise…we’ll take that, too!

37. sandog said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:30 pm

Good for Pence. We/he needed that big time.

38. xoot said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:30 pm

A pitch up to Pence! A welcome mistake

39. alleykat69 said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Omg a Pence sighting!
    That will screw up Blades prediction.

40. Macdog said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Hey Pence!

41. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Juice it, Gorks!

42. zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Great rally! Clutch hits!
    Terrible managing from Mattingly, also. He let the kid die on the vine.

43. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Gorks juices it…

44. Macdog said, on June 20, 2018 at 2:38 pm

What a fantastic AB by the Gorkster!

45. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Damn – I am really liking Blach out of the bullpen! And Specs continues to impress with the glove!

46. Flavor said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:17 pm

Nick hundley is such a stud. We are lucky to have him as a back up.catcher

47. Macdog said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:18 pm

Hustling Hundley!

48. zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:18 pm

Hundley, you get there!!

49. zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:23 pm

Mac has the hardest dang time squaring up a pitch.

50. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:25 pm

WTF, Pence, again?!

51. Macdog said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:26 pm

The good news: Pence 2-4 with 2 RBI.

The bad news: Pence 2-4 with 2 RBI.

• zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Well said. Today will get him a long time more on the roster.

• chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:40 pm

lulz

52. zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:26 pm

Two flares from Pence dropped in today. Cool. It’s still a long journey to deserving that roster spot, though.

53. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:39 pm

54. sandog said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:40 pm

It’s not blatant, it’s very subtle…..but I get a bit of a David Crosby look-alike with Dyson. I think it’s the eyes and the shape of the head. And of course a little facial hair doesn’t hurt.

• zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:45 pm

I see what you’re saying.

• Flavor said, on June 20, 2018 at 4:49 pm

i see it but you still feelin’ the skinny Rick Rueschel call?

55. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:42 pm

You have got to be shitting me! Told ya Gorks has an extremely low baseball IQ.

Dyson is NOT impressing me.

56. sandog said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:45 pm

This is unreal.

57. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:46 pm

Ya gotta go get Dyson….

58. zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:47 pm

These relentless zombie Marlins.

59. alleykat69 said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Why not Watson??

60. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:50 pm

Game!

61. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:50 pm

Damn! It is never easy against the fish. Series W!

62. Macdog said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Man, what a pain-in-the-ass team to the very end. Should’ve been a sweep, at least it’s a series win.

• zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:51 pm

63. alleykat69 said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Why not Monronta!!
    Take it anyway we can get one!!
    Clint nod coming Zumie.,

• zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:52 pm

Got it. 🙂

64. sandog said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Whew. A couple of those Moronta served up there looked like hangers too.

65. zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:53 pm

And the Dodgers lost. Stripling took a loss.

66. alleykat69 said, on June 20, 2018 at 3:54 pm

Glad to be done with the Marlins, quite a pain in the ass team.. Do like Brian Anderson that kid can play along with Revalto(sp?)

67. Irish Kevin said, on June 20, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Hmmm…Strickland, can’t believe I am going to say this, some players are overly emotional, he is not the first to injure himself, and there are lots of videos of guys going ballistic, to lazy to look it up, but one guy went after a water cooler with a baseball bat. And then there is the George Brett melt down. Brian Wilson wasnt exactly calm cool and collected either. So lets see what happens when he returns.

• alleykat69 said, on June 20, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Yeah Kevin I agree.I was at a Giants game against the Phils years ago along the 1st base dugout ragging on Ryan Madson who was known as a hothead back then, he came into pitch to close out the Giants and promptly coughed up the lead and game.Watched him come into the dugout and he slammed his fist against the wall, heard the next he broke his hand, “paybacks a bitch”

68. Flavor said, on June 20, 2018 at 6:27 pm

lol this dude fucking slays me

• zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 6:59 pm

For only 44 cents, though!

• Flavor said, on June 20, 2018 at 7:06 pm

and this was the *improved* recipe they rolled out to the public

• snarkk said, on June 20, 2018 at 8:59 pm

Empty, clean TV dinner pans were great for putting paint in for little paint jobs around the house…

• djloo27 said, on June 20, 2018 at 7:52 pm

The “train engine” line is a riot.
      I was half asleep but I think the Met announcer just said the Rockies have given up 8 or more runs in 9 straight home games (a ML record)…

69. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 20, 2018 at 7:31 pm

When my siblings and I were quite young, our folks often did things on Friday evenings, like, square dancing club, or potluck dinner with the neighbors, whatever. We loved Friday nights, because that meant TV dinners (or chicken pot pies, or even ohmygod, pancakes) for dinner. We seriously loved those Swanson’s. Can’t imagine eating one now, but man, what a great invention for prosperous post-WW2 America…..

70. willedav said, on June 20, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Hope the Giants sent the Marlins a limo to the airport.

71. mrsprtdude said, on June 20, 2018 at 8:13 pm

So nice to come back and win the next two vs marlins! I was pretty down after dumbass broke his hand. Were no dead…My daughter sent me a screen shot of a tweet. “Giants season can be summed up nicely by these words…”Six to Eight weeks!”

72. willedav said, on June 20, 2018 at 8:32 pm

Last night 2 outs bottom 9 A’s S Piscotty homered to tie game off Brad Hand then A’s won it in 10th with another bomb from Lowrie.
    today they hit 5 more out of petco and smoked them 12-4 to sweep 2 game series. In order to “save the bullpen” mgr Green had Cory Spangenberg pitch the 9th. He gave up 2 hits 2 walks 2 runs.

Man would it be great to pound the $#%^&! Pads up here. Weather supposed to warm up so watch out on those 2 days games Sat/Sun.
    Hope Mr. Crawford can rejoin the fun.

73. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 20, 2018 at 9:00 pm

Nice day at the yard today. I got there a little early and went with the sheboygan bratwurst and sauerkraut-meh it was dry but I was able to power it down with a nice 22 oz pilsner. The whole meal only ran me $26.

Hansen going down in a heap put a damper on things early but Tomlinson filled in well. It got me thinking that the club ended up getting pretty good play at the SS position with Mr. Mom out. Sandoval is moving well and looks good, Belt with a tidy 3-4 and seemed like he got AT&T’d on his fly ball out. He’s picking up right where he left off and hunting pitches instead of walk seeking. The Williamson v Pence battle is going to have a lot of Ks and limp noodle singles. If it was me I’d stick with Williamson, call up Slater and free up some time for Pence to go to Disney Land.

All in all a good series win but you expect a W when the staff ace turns in 6 strong IP.

• zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 9:27 pm

Great report!
      Day games at that yard are awesome.

• chipower9 said, on June 20, 2018 at 9:34 pm

Nice recap, Dirt. Thanks! Hard to go wrong with the Sheboygan and kraut. I think all here are on the same page re: Slater and Pence. Will be interesting to see if the Giant’s front office has the balls to pull that string.

• djloo27 said, on June 20, 2018 at 9:47 pm

Mr. Mom, nice…

• alleykat69 said, on June 20, 2018 at 10:01 pm

Yeah good recap Dirt!
        Mr Mom another classic movie!
        Busted a gut when Michael Keaton put one of his rug rats up against a hand dryer to dry his butt as a neighbor opened a door to see that,epic!!

• Flavor said, on June 21, 2018 at 6:06 am

fantastic.

74. zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 9:19 pm

The AL playoff teams are just about set already. The remaining question is whether the Mariners or Angels will be the second Wild Card.

• zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 9:23 pm

Technically, the A’s show signs of life, but I think they’re going to fade.

75. zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 10:06 pm

Not to beat the same drum….but the 5 outfielder thing is an issue. Today Hanson got injured and Specs went in, and that leaves Pablo as emergency shortstop or second-base, if needed, and then who would play third? Posey, I guess. Not an ideal situation.
    Carrying 13 pitchers AND 5 outfielders is nuts. Of course, it’s just because of the Pence and Jackson contracts.

• zumiee said, on June 20, 2018 at 10:18 pm

Belt can be the 5th outfielder when needed.