The Bat

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 23, 2018

Twin sent me the bat in 2008. I don’t remember why he did it– Scott McClain was one of many things we *batted* around at The Splash and The Flap. He probably sent it to me as some type of gift/apology that always included a shadowy *you owe me* lol. I couldn’t remember the year he sent it so I checked in my gmail archives, always a fun trip down memory lane. Here was one email I sent him:

“I hope you aren’t giving this bat away because you think you’re getting close to “the end”. How are you doing? You seem to be mashing your keyboard with the same spirit. I’m giving you my work address cause we have a receptionist there 9-5 who can sign/pay for deliveries. Let me know what it costs and I’ll make sure she’s ready to receive it. I’m not sure why that bat means something to me, but it does. Thanks, Craig”
Anyway, the bat came around Christmas time 2008. It was broken at the handle rendering it nearly useless other than as a cool artifact to have around. Twin had wrapped a thin line of packing tape around it to keep it together. Frankly it was a half assed job so I re-taped it like a boss (or so I thought) with duck tape. I taped the shit out of that bat and made it *swingable* and that’s what I did with that bad boy for the next 10 years. I kept it in my living room and would get up and swing it gently while watching a game or just whenever I felt like it. About 5 years ago I brought it into my office and it just lay against the door or a wall or wherever. People who came in were drawn to it. I’d say 95% of the new people entering my office asked about it, picked it up and swung it while I told them the story about who McClain is and how the bat came into my possession. Everyone loved that story. “Really??? Some guy you’ve never met sent you this?!?!!”
Yup.
Anyway, when Twin died I was fairly remorseful about not calling him back when he wanted to talk one final time with me. I still am. I mean, I didn’t KNOW it was going to be the last time. To be truthful, he was hard to talk to on the phone, the strokes really took a toll on his voice. And I was busy at the time and I didn’t like the attitude he gave me when I told him something to the effect of “I’ll call you I just can’t do it now.” Obviously I regret how I handled that because he died and I was just left wishing I had called him back. “Cats in the cradle” shit I guess….
I needed to figure out a way to make it up to him and at the same time honor what he meant to me and all of us here at The Flap. One day it hit me clearly: send the bat to Loo. So that day I grabbed the bat, found a place that could pack it and I sent it on its way across the country.
After I saw this pic I was embarrassed at the pathetic duck tape job I did on the bat. Sadly, there is no *before* pic but look what the great DJ Loo did to fix it:
Screenshot 2018-06-23 at 7.13.51 AM
He lizard taped that bitch back to respectability. I am positive that Twin appreciates what you did, Loo. Just as I am also positive that he signaled me to send it to you…..
There are no expectations for what he does with the bat, it’s his forever. He mentioned on his own that he might one day pass it on to another Flapper. I do think a tradition like that would be something Twin would love. But enjoy the bat, my man. I did. And I’ve never enjoyed it more than I do right this minute….

1. blade3colorado said, on June 23, 2018 at 9:56 am

Very cool bat and well done repair job by Loo. At my Old Shasta home (1993-1997), I use to have a 34″/33 ounce bat hidden under the bed. I had brought that bat with me to numerous rentals and homes I owned going as far back as when I played baseball in high school. My ex and I had a central alarm system in our fairly new home, which had multiple ways of being set off, including motion detectors . . . Ex got up to get a drink of water downstairs in the kitchen and forgot to pause the system. Plus, she didn’t turn on any lights. Long story short, I almost brained her with my trusty old bat. Dunno where that bat is today.

2. Macdog said, on June 23, 2018 at 10:04 am

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 10:17 am

I’m calling a bomb for Mac tonight in Sacramento

• snarkk said, on June 23, 2018 at 10:23 am

Last night I called the trip back to Sac for the Oaf, with willieD, I just didn’t think it would be today. TheOaf is star crossed with injury. We may see him back up in September, but I doubt before that unless there are a couple of DL stints with the big club require him to come up…

• djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 10:51 am

Had to be done…

3. wilcojoe said, on June 23, 2018 at 10:10 am

Great story Flav and congrats on your sweet score last night.

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 10:17 am

thanks.

• djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 10:24 am

You beat out 28,000 people???

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 10:25 am

i finished 2nd, it was actually close to 30,000. And I took a 0 from my catcher (Zunino). Had he done anything I would have won. I had 10 teams in the tourney, $2 a team. Got back $2018

4. Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 10:28 am

MIke Smith is super cool, I had a great impromptu convo with him in his undershirt outside the paddock at Del Mar last year. I wouldn’t wait in this line, he’s quite accessible most of the time…

• snarkk said, on June 23, 2018 at 11:30 am

Since the horse actually did the work, when is he having his autograph session?…

• djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 12:01 pm

At Belmont, you can tackle your favorite jockey as they walk completely unprotected from their dressing room to the paddock, Or you can just tell them what’s on your mind. At least verbally, the few that still attend have gotten much more civilized. Used to be anything goes. The great Braulio Baeza got the worst of it by far…

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 12:02 pm

man I bet the shit flew back in the day from you New Yorkers as a jockey passed by after a race was over

• djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 12:15 pm

I remember a young rider named Tommy Wallis would go at it with anyone who started with him
        in the walking ring – even when he was already on the horse.
        Some riders would curse back at you in Spanish.
        Haven’t seen that stuff in ages…

5. djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 10:40 am

It’s almost impossible to walk past the bat and not pick it up. It’s surprisingly light (has the hollowed out end and really thin handle). Looks even better in person. I highly recommend that Lizard Skin tape. Great, comfortable grip. I wanted to use orange but Modell’s didn’t have it. Not really sacrilegious since it does say “Oakland Athletics” under McClain’s name…

• blade3colorado said, on June 23, 2018 at 11:20 am

Is he still a scout in Japan? Here’s another article about his stint with the Cubs in Spring Training. Criminal that he didn’t get a decent shot with Tampa Bay after the season and spring training he had with them at age 26. Same thing with the Cubs at age 31. Always a numbers game insofar as the roster.

6. Lurker John said, on June 23, 2018 at 11:28 am

That’s a great story, but I don’t remember McClain. 22 AB’s over parts of two seasons.

7. snarkk said, on June 23, 2018 at 11:31 am

Slater up…

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 11:42 am

It’ll be interesting to see how Bochy doles out the starts in leftfield for the next few weeks. Maybe a Hanson/Slater platoon.

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 11:46 am

If the Giants fall way out of it, they could go Hanson, Duggar, Slater in the outfield, with Cutch traded away, Pence released, and Gorkys as 4th outfielder.

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 11:47 am

If Mac gets his stroke back, he could get another chance this season.

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 11:48 am

They need to do something with Jackson, trade or release.

8. djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 11:50 am

1. Gorkys Hernandez (R) CF
    2. Alen Hanson (S) LF
    3. Andrew McCutchen (R) RF
    4. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B
    7. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    8. Nick Hundley (R) C
    9. Andrew Suarez (L) P

Bochy’s lineup system today: Outfield, Infield, Catcher, Pitcher, done…

9. snarkk said, on June 23, 2018 at 12:03 pm

I kinda feel dirty using “Cutch” for McCutchen. The guy has only been a Giant for 2 1/2 months. He’ll probably only be one for this season. Seems to me only Pirates fans could legitimately use that moniker. Use of the familiar requires familiarity, IMO. Maybe I should use “Semi-bust”. When McCovey was a Padre, I hope few Pads fans called him “Stretch”…

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 12:07 pm

where do you stand on calling Hanson “Hanny?” Because every time I hear Bochy say that I want to murder him. Boch is alright on a lot of shit but his nicknames are the worst in history.

• snarkk said, on June 23, 2018 at 12:11 pm

Bochy adds a “y” to everybody and he’s done.
        Anybody kinda getting tired of Boch? I’ll admit, I am. He’s signed through 2019, but I wouldn’t cry if he floated off fishing as of the end of this year.
        I’m OK with Hanny, but I’ll just call him Hanson — until the Flap comes up with a better nickname, which we will if he keeps doing what he’s been doing…

• YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on June 23, 2018 at 2:00 pm

Euhannyo

• YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on June 23, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Euhannyo Velour

10. Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 12:09 pm

thinking of some of the best nicknames we came up with here: The Bowker Gang was outstanding. Count Chocula for Velez was great. That Doughy Fuck for Law. Big Titty for Molina. Others?

• snarkk said, on June 23, 2018 at 12:13 pm

I don’t know who came up with it, but I think the BT moniker for Molina may be the best. Mac the Oaf is pretty good recent vintage…

• xoot said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:59 pm

BF is good with the nicknames. I think he may have written BT riffing on “Big Money,” which was the lame name announcers pushed for Benji. I’m fairly sure about the same time BF started calling Tyler Walker Big Sweaty. Sad but true, a lot of good nicknames vanish when the players who aren’t so good fade away.

11. snarkk said, on June 23, 2018 at 12:19 pm

To celebrate his non-Honky factor contributions: Dreadson?; the Dreadnought? (feared navy term); Dreadly Dominican? Or Mr. Electric?; Racer5? (he plays 3b = position 5 sometimes); Strider (long strides when he runs)…

12. Lurker John said, on June 23, 2018 at 12:31 pm

One of my favorite ’70’s sluggers. Speaking of bats, a friend of mine went to an A’s game back then and ended up with one of his broken bats. Seemed massive to us at the time.

13. zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:02 pm

I like using “Cutch” because McCutchen is tricky to spell. 🙂

14. chipower9 said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:07 pm

Awesome post, and I remember those times, and loosely, the discussions around the bat. I cannot think of a more deserving Flapper to be the bat’s keeper than Loo. Great tape job, Loo!

I was fortunate to have a couple of phone conversations with Twin when his house burned down. I remember it being a chore to contact him, and eventually getting a call from him. Again, I am grateful to have had those few conversations with him. I always thought it would have been cool as hell to get a number of Flappers together, go get Twin, and to catch a Giants game together.

Craig’s post reminds me how important it is for all of us to reach out to those we love or care for, and to let them know we care for them. My younger brother is going through a rough spell with his daughter, and I have encouraged them to patch things up, while the opportunity exists. There are no guarantees, and any of us could be gone in a flash.

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:25 pm

thanks. Yes, I am not going to miss an opportunity to say goodbye to someone again if I can help it

15. chipower9 said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:07 pm

Great to se Slater is up, but sad it is not in the way we had hoped (for Actionless or Pence).

16. zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:16 pm

Speaking of Cutch, he took a 1-2 fastball down the middle for strike 3. He must have been guessing breaking pitch.

17. Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:24 pm

Twin was terrible at nicknames. Vungo? MudBug? What the fuck were those?

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:26 pm

I didn’t like “Fruckie” either.

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:34 pm

great call. That was also a stupid one

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Torres’ middle name is Yungo, but I don’t know that turns into Vungo. Maybe TF misread it.

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:35 pm

Others sources say his middle name IS Vungo.

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:35 pm

there are no less than 10 emails from him where he is livid at me for using the nickname *Vungo* in reference to Torres. He couldn’t believe I had the gall to call him that.

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Wikipedia says Yungo and is probably wrong. More sources say Vungo.

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:45 pm

Torres’ story captured TF’s heart and imagination, and it bugged him that so many Giants fans didn’t have that same feeling. TF was hyper-alert to anything he deemed to be disrespect to Torres.

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 1:49 pm

To TF, anybody not onboard early on Torres wasn’t going to be allowed on later. That, in general, was a TF trait on the blogs. He didn’t like people changing their mind about a player. It was hypocritical, to TF, and not to be tolerated.

18. zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 2:01 pm

My favorite Torres moment is in the “Donnie Two-times” game. After Bochy forced the Dodgers’ pitcher to be removed because of the “two times,” and the Dodgers had to scramble to get a guy warmed up, Torres then hit a bases-clearing double. It was such a huge win for the Giants, and felt like the turning point in the 2010 season. Or at least in retrospect it feels like the turning point, to me anyway.

19. zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 2:03 pm

Craw RBI triple! (Would have been an HR in any other ballpark.)

20. chipower9 said, on June 23, 2018 at 2:05 pm

Pitching change already bu the friars…WTF…

21. alleykat69 said, on June 23, 2018 at 2:07 pm

When it came to Alex Smith never ever disrespect him in front of Twin! He had him enshrined in Canton since the beginning of his career..Use to get into it with him, over that other QB they could of drafted 1st some guy named Aaron Rogers, he would just say something bizzare like look at the wundelich score Dick Kat, and compare them! I would shoot back look at the SB rings Oracle, and who has one,not your HOF boy Alex!! Oh that would just eis Frost his ass!!!

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 2:23 pm

I remember Dennis had proven TF wrong on some factual issue regarding the Giants, and TF said: “Well, Dennis, you can thrust out your concave chest in pride on that one.”
      lulz- who besides TF would have said “concave chest”?

• blade3colorado said, on June 23, 2018 at 2:27 pm

That’s weird. Wasn’t Dennis fat?

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 2:33 pm

I’m guessing TF didn’t know that.

Dennis used to rail about the government, but I would be willing to bet he was on government assistance of some kind.

22. chipower9 said, on June 23, 2018 at 3:06 pm

The tape on Pence’s bat handle looks amazingly familiar. Loo, you have a side job with the Giants?

23. chipower9 said, on June 23, 2018 at 3:09 pm

Nice call by Wotus to send Hundley. Gorks squeezing the juice again…

• snarkk said, on June 23, 2018 at 3:20 pm

This power bat of Gorkys jumping up with some regularity is a wonder to behold…

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2018 at 3:23 pm

Yep. He just needed to reach that magical 700 AB plateau to get fully dialed-in…

24. zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 3:31 pm

Slater with a nice sac fly.

Pence is at -.5 WAR now, and Jackson is at -1.1.

25. snarkk said, on June 23, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Slater already with an RBI, nice job.
    Giants need to decide what to do in the OF.
    Actionless — why is he on the roster? Hanson can play IF and OF, and Slater in for the Oaf, but Pence is useless. If the Oaf gets back his swing some in Sac, somebody has to go.
    Hanson – proved in his first AB today his electricity — stole second, came on in to score on double. He pressures the defense…

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 3:39 pm

Hanson was a great find. Kudos to the front office.
      Now they need to remove Pence or Jackson or both. Keeping one of them would be questionable, but both of them?….

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Actionless on the roster why? Money/luxury tax considerations. Yes, we are all of the same mind. Unfortunately, when Williamson is deemed ready to come back up, Slater will be the short man out. We all know Pence or Actionless must go. They both need to go…

26. chipower9 said, on June 23, 2018 at 3:41 pm

Damn! Close this damned thing out, already.

27. chipower9 said, on June 23, 2018 at 3:42 pm

Ballgame! Get the series winner tomorrow!

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 3:42 pm

28. chipower9 said, on June 23, 2018 at 3:53 pm

If you need some more baseball, Mississippi State vs. Oregon State, elimination game, this afternoon. Winner faces Arkansas on Monday in the best of three CWS final.

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 4:18 pm

Also Mets/Dodgers is the Fox game of the week. The Mets won’t offer much competition, though. That’s a hurting team.
      The college game will be more competitive, probably.

• djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 5:28 pm

Good eye, Chi on Pence’s bat tape.
      A lot of guys seem to be using it this year…

29. Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 4:29 pm

Muncy with an upper tank bomb off DeGrom. That guy probably ran the bases with the needle still in his ass…..

30. Bozo said, on June 23, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Glad to see the Clint nod. Craw sure had himself a day, on both D and O.
    Great tape job by Loo, gotta think the bat is in good hands.
    I always thought Twin became a big Alex Smith fan just because Dennis hated Smith.

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 4:46 pm

that’s probably why I became a Smith fan—or, at least, I appreciated him for what he was. Denny was wrong about a lot of things about Smith but he DID call that he’d never win a SB–at this point, that looks spot on

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Denny was the worst—a whiny girl who tantrumed every year the team didn’t win a Super Bowl. Being a racist and stupid wasn’t a good look for him, either. He wasn’t always like that. I feel like he slowly started to go insane. The internet wasn’t kind to him

• djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 5:32 pm

I always liked him, but I didn’t see the racist stuff.
        He was usually pretty jolly and had plenty of knowledge including horse racing…

• Bozo said, on June 23, 2018 at 7:10 pm

I thought some of DMD’s early stuff was pretty funny. But yeah, in the end it turned out to be ironic that he picked the same moniker as the KKK guy (Delmar Dennis) and the race horse (Del Mar Dennis).

31. zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 4:41 pm

Wilmer Flores is batting clean-up for the Mets these days. Uh, OK….

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 4:45 pm

that’s a Loo target. I forget the deal(s) he proposed.

• djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 5:25 pm

So did I…

32. willedav said, on June 23, 2018 at 5:13 pm

Mets btw have one more win than…Marlins, who beat Rox today on the road.
    Maybe flav is right about visiting teams having trouble in empty indoor yards—Rays have won 2 in a row at home vs. Yanks and shut them out today 4-0.

33. zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 5:13 pm

Flores with an RBI single!

34. djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Corona Premier ain’t half bad…

• snarkk said, on June 23, 2018 at 5:42 pm

Is that the vice president of Colombia?…

• djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 5:46 pm

If a mass murderer can be described as “underrated” how about Juan Corona?
        I bet not one person I know ever heard of him…

• snarkk said, on June 23, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Mass murderer. Northern California, 70s. Killed farmworkers.
        I heard of him. I was in middle school when he was busted.
        He’s doing life somewhere in a CA pen…

• djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Did they call it “Junior High” when you went, Snarkk?
        Not sure when it became known as middle school…

• snarkk said, on June 23, 2018 at 6:45 pm

Yep, It was junior high when I was there.
        7-9 grades. High school was 10-12…
        My kids went to middle school 6-8. Then high school 9-12…

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2018 at 8:56 pm

It was Jr. High for me. You too, Loo?

• djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 9:24 pm

Yes, Chi. Same set-up as Snarkk described.
        I guess it changed all over the country at some point…

35. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2018 at 6:30 pm

I still get the occasional Dennis post in my spam filter. Racist hate-filled screeds. Calling a QB to not win Super Bowl is fairly easy. Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts, the league is littered with great QBs who never made it. Smith spent his first 7 years on a shit team with no players.

Last year was his last best shot. Sadly he didn’t make it. Still and all, Reid should have been fired though. He fucked that Tenn game monumentally.

• djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 8:33 pm

No argument from me…

36. zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 6:46 pm

While perusing the blog archive a little, I came across this classic post from TF:
    twinfan1 said, on April 3, 2012 at 6:30 pm

A small time scam artist and radio personality named Bob Leonard swindled Billy Martin, Whitey Ford, and Mantle. Sold them “futures” in Canadian bomb shelters. I don’t know how much they invested but it was serious enough that Leonard did five years.He got out and lo and behold- he got Billy again on another scam. I hung out with Leonard a bit on that ’65 road trip I took with the team. Men like Leonard can be interesting, even fascinating. Obviously, he was a good talker- and Billy, Mickey, and Whitey were pretty good targets. I can see Mantle and Ford skeptical in a dumb and dumber kind of way and Billy talking them into it…I think I noted before that my Dad once said that he was maybe the only guy to beat Leonard out of something. Dad borrowed some cuff links and Bob died before they were returned… I think I told a shorter version of this before but I know you’ve all been dying to hear more. In Cleveland Leonard couldn’t get anyone to interview with him, so guess who ended up doing it- yep, me. We talked about some of the young guys- I predicted that young first sacker Rich Reese would go 20-80 in ’66 😉

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 6:53 pm

a good one

• wilcojoe said, on June 23, 2018 at 7:40 pm

I remember this. One of my favorite Twin stories.

37. snarkk said, on June 23, 2018 at 6:49 pm

Off to the deck with some tasty sangria, followed by a Thai style pork tenderloin saute — lemongrass, galanga, garlic, kaffir lime all chopped into a paste onto the medallions for an hour marinate, then quick saute in peanut oil. I’ll report later if it was worth my effort…

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2018 at 8:59 pm

If it fails, take a trip to South Shore Tahoe, and have the Elk filet at The Edgewood. We had dinner there prior to a concert on a Thursday night, and it was amazing. Well worth the coin.

38. zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 6:50 pm

And the Dodgers hit their second grand slam of the weekend vs. the Mets.
    Rough season for the Mets, and they have to hear about the Yankees.

• Macdog said, on June 23, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Mets were 12-2 mid-April and 17-9 at the end of the month. Now they’re 31-43 with no end to the losing.

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 7:26 pm

DeGrom would be a great trade chip if the want to embrace a tear-down rebuild.

• djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 8:13 pm

He is untouchable, Zum.
        Syndergaard could be had for the right package.
        Alderson basically said as much yesterday…

39. wilcojoe said, on June 23, 2018 at 7:42 pm

I didn’t know about the Delmar Dennis, KKK connection, as Bozo posted above. I had to google it. No way that’s a coincidence.

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 8:07 pm

wow, I had no idea. Yes in hindsight, that couldn’t have been just about the horse.

• djloo27 said, on June 23, 2018 at 8:18 pm

He must’ve loved Gate Dancer…

40. zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 8:13 pm

The Giants will try to get above .500 tomorrow and stay above .500.

• snarkk said, on June 23, 2018 at 8:17 pm

The Thai-style pork tenderloin was pretty good.
      The Spanish sourced Sangria was actually really good – with me adding some orange and lime slices in the glasses. Only 7% alchohol — that less ABV than a ton of IPAs, with a lot of flavor…

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2018 at 8:46 pm

i would have preferred a Sisiphus gif but this one shall do, I suppose

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2018 at 9:02 pm