Goose Power

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 27, 2018

If I told you in Spring Training that The Goose would be second on the team in home runs as we get ready to turn the calendar to July you wouldn’t be giving me a knowing dude head nod. You’d probably look at me like this:

Screenshot 2018-06-27 at 6.18.58 AM

Speaking of good ol’ Stix, shouldn’t he be getting out pretty soon for good behavior or some shit? My knowledge of how the prison system works is pretty limited….

Speaking of some other crazy shit, anyone notice Agent 000 doing his best Goose impersonation? He’s hit 4 bombs this year playing part time. I didn’t know he could even hit the ball and have it roll near the warning track….

Somehow CarGo has 5 bombs off MadBum. And drunk ass, washed up Matt Harvey got his 3rd QS last night. That means he only needs two more to win San Dawg all the beers he can drink next March in Reno. Yikes. And I just realized Diggity named his damn broken down RV after that broken down hasbeen fuck.

I’m being swindled. And the writing has been on the wall for 2 years now. All I had to do was read the side of his damn RV and I might have been able to sidestep this wayward bet.

1. willedav said, on June 27, 2018 at 7:19 am

Reading the D’Acquisto book, it’s weird how often changing teams and being around certain pitching coaches matters so much. Flav asked how did Twins give up on DRod kid, and look how awful Dyson had been before Giants picked him up last year. Now he’s closing.
    Lot of times too it has to do with undiagnosed injury or mistreatment of same, often with complicity of pitcher himself trying to compensate for discomfort by altering motion.

Btw that J -D book is very good read, and what happens after he leaves baseball quite a story.

2. willedav said, on June 27, 2018 at 7:25 am

Chi at 10:09 last night spot on—good old fashioned Torture game, and Giants are winning their share.
    Now 25-13 at home, best NL.

• Lurker John said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:10 am

No shit, I did not realize that. The torture part, absolutely, but not the home record. Let’s hope this year’s torture ends as well as 2010 did.

3. chipower9 said, on June 27, 2018 at 7:47 am

I am telling you WilleD. More and more of our boys’ games are taking on the torturous nature of baseball seasons past. AND you’re right, they are winning a fair amount of them.

Hell, in the last week alone (more like past couple of daze), they have given-up leads late only to come back and snatch the win from the jaws of defeat. I am digging this team! Get and stay healthy, and make some noise!

Speaking of Stix, we continue to swap letters. He has a fair amount of recall on recent Giants games, which is amazing, as I believe his primary source of info is the crawl screen on ESPN.

I think he mentioned his release date in a past letter, but I cannot recall details. Dude still writes amazingly well.

4. Lurker John said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:09 am

A John D’Acquisto book?

• willedav said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:30 am

yes LJ auto bio. quite an interesting guy, and no spoiler, after he leaves baseball and gets into financial world, big things happen.

• Lurker John said, on June 27, 2018 at 11:48 am

I’ll have to check that out. I remember watching him warm up in one of the bullpens at the Stick back in the ’70’s and being in awe of how hard he could throw, and I don’t think he was really cranking it up. He just walked a lot of guys.

5. Irish Kevin said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:10 am

NBCbayarea reports the Giants had their 1st winning month in 2 years. Wake up call??

6. zumiee said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:13 am

Agent OOO has taken 6 seasons to accumulate a career WAR of 1.4.
    That’s….something.

7. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:58 am

It also took him 6 years to hit 5 dingers. And now he has 4?

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:07 am

WIlliamson with another bomb last night. Someone should probably try calling these.

Side note; Ramos is batting .291/.365/.419 in June. Dude is 18 and South Atlantic league player average age is 20.

• Flavor said, on June 27, 2018 at 10:22 am

i’m starting to feel responsible for his demotion and I feel awful

9. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:18 am

2 bomb night tonight for Mac the Knife.

10. alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2018 at 10:48 am

Maybe Williamson feast on scrub minor league pitching only? He needs to show more consistently in the bigs to stick.Though I would still take him over ”Missing in Action Jackson ”
    anytime like all of us..

• Lurker John said, on June 27, 2018 at 11:46 am

He could be one of your classic AAAA players.

11. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2018 at 11:49 am

… oops

12. Flavor said, on June 27, 2018 at 11:58 am

I think Willy will be back. Maybe not this year, but he’ll be back. That concussion fucked him up and there was definitely fall out from that including loss of timing and confidence. He’s reportedly still doing that eye test thing people with concussions do. I don’t really know much about it but they said he’s still doing it on KNBR yesterday.
    He’ll be back raking bombs. Book it.

13. Flavor said, on June 27, 2018 at 12:02 pm

• zumiee said, on June 27, 2018 at 12:50 pm

Basically shows the evolution of the sport in a nutshell. And some other sports, too.

14. chipower9 said, on June 27, 2018 at 3:32 pm

Apologies if someone posted thisalready…Cueto’s second rehab is slated for Friday in Sacto. They are saying he’ll probably need another start after that, even though he has said he will be good with one more rehab start.

15. pawliekokonuts said, on June 27, 2018 at 3:54 pm

Hi girls. It is nice to see the usual suspects in fine fettle and form. I have not been sharing a jail cell with Stix, nor have I been to Iceland recently although I entered a contest from WOW airlines. If I were to have won it, I would been paid $3,400 a month for June, July, and August; they would have given me an apartment in Reykjavík, and I would have flown all around the world. I submitted my two-minute video on YouTube and did not win. I discovered that there are Instagram superstars with perfectly glamorous bodies who do this for a living. I am an intermittent watcher of Giants games, as I always have been. I like this team. I like our chances, so call me an optimistic doomer. I could blame my absence on my involvement with my young girlfriend but I will not invoke that as a reason. Nor have I fallen in love in Asia, like Blade, gotten married, and become a proud father again. I think it was Samuel Taylor Coleridge who said “abstract me oh silent ships.” I don’t know what abstracted me from this blog, but there was no reason. It was not planned; there was no thought to it whatsoever. I just fell out of habit. I am not even sure that I’m back. I wanted to say hello to everyone. I see that we have thumbs-up and thumbs down now, like FB and Twitter. And I liked Magnus’s post about going to the yard. It brings out a persona in me, too, especially in San Francisco. My latest book, my ninth, chronicles a lot of my last year, and it is titled “Journey to the End of Love: In Search of Leonard Cohen — and My Self.” It’s darker than usual (only passing reference to baseball: a game in Montreal in 1978), but, hey, as Leonard Cohen sang, “There is a crack in everything; that’s how the light gets in.” https://amzn.to/2K6vTHd

• zumiee said, on June 27, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Hey Pawlie! Good to hear from ya!

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 27, 2018 at 4:09 pm

thanks, thumb up

• chipower9 said, on June 27, 2018 at 4:25 pm

Great to see you here, Mr. Kokonuts!

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 27, 2018 at 4:28 pm

you as well; hi to Gail

• chipower9 said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:23 pm

Pawlie – are you still with “the mystery woman?” Hope you are well my friend.

• alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2018 at 4:39 pm

Yes I’m glad to hear from you PK!
      Always need a Kokonut around to keep us coo coo🥜 sane around here!

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 27, 2018 at 4:41 pm

I wasn’t even a voyeur in my hiatus

16. pawliekokonuts said, on June 27, 2018 at 4:01 pm

I now wear hearing aids. hashtag metaphor
    My insurance offered them for $330 a piece. The audiologist said I need the $4,000 kind, minimum. You KNOW what I did.

17. Flavor said, on June 27, 2018 at 4:12 pm

Pk I’m now getting my haircut and enjoying reading your post. Don’t be a stranger, life’s too short. Although your mom is 101 so wtf do I know?

18. pawliekokonuts said, on June 27, 2018 at 4:13 pm

thumb raised

19. chipower9 said, on June 27, 2018 at 4:26 pm

Let’s get ready to RUMBLE…

1. Gorkys Hernandez (R) CF
    2. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    3. Andrew McCutchen (R) RF
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Hunter Pence (R) LF
    6. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    7. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B
    8. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    9. Madison Bumgarner (R) P

• alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2018 at 4:46 pm

Hey how about that #5 hitter.
      1 dying quail game winner = atleast a week of starts now!!
      Bay speed& Launch 🚀 velocity was about the same as his jersey number on the GWQ!!

• zumiee said, on June 27, 2018 at 5:22 pm

The best hitter right now, Crawford, batting 6th doesn’t make sabermetric sense, regardless of what his career numbers are against the pitcher,

20. pawliekokonuts said, on June 27, 2018 at 4:40 pm

Did the whole notion of Joey Bart already get discussed? What was the consensus — that Posey will be traded when Bart (BART, are you ready to use him in ads?) comes of age?

• zumiee said, on June 27, 2018 at 5:20 pm

It sounded to me like a lot of folks feel that Posey will eventually be moved to first and Belt will play leftfield. Or somebody gets traded.

21. alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2018 at 5:26 pm

Yeah PK theirs been some discussions about Joey Bart. I think it was a great pick,kid has power to all fields,grades out good across the board,strong arm, probably average speed, but hey he’s a catcher, Posey’s slow as well..
    They can let him develop more, and be Posey’s replacement at catcher when he slides over to 1st and maybe Belt to LF, gives them more options going forward..
    Yeah and the Riding the BART ,etc lines will be another big ploy used by Larry Baer and the marketing team for sure as well..

22. Lurker John said, on June 27, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Is there an interesting story behind the Magnus nickname?

• Flavor said, on June 27, 2018 at 6:08 pm

That’s a pk thing, he’d have to explain it I forgot

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 27, 2018 at 6:56 pm

I don’t know if it’s interesting, but it goes something like this: Big Flavor in Latin is Magnus Flavoris, or something like that. So I gave him that moniker. Plus, I recalled the character Magnus Pym in ‘A Perfect Spy’ by John le Carre. Come to think of it, I’m not sure Craig ever knew any of this!

• Flavor said, on June 27, 2018 at 7:15 pm

i didn’t know the part about Magnus Pym. I feel smarter just reading shit you write, Kokonuts

23. zumiee said, on June 27, 2018 at 7:10 pm

First winning month in two years….that’s mindblowing.

24. James said, on June 27, 2018 at 7:19 pm

It seems off that a 6’4″ pitcher has to grunt to throw 90 mph.

• Flavor said, on June 27, 2018 at 7:30 pm

I’m 6’6 and I prolly couldn’t break 65 throwing my arm out

• James said, on June 27, 2018 at 7:44 pm

LQTM, I once hit 73 falling over Tom Bradley style and putting my arm out of commission for a week. I know, height isn’t decisive, but Bum is a major leaguer and it seems like the grunt should be reserved for when he’s trying to add a couple MPH.

• Flavor said, on June 27, 2018 at 7:58 pm

i’ve never thought his motion was built for high velo. He throws across his body, it’s a very awkward motion, at least for generating the most velo possible.

25. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2018 at 7:26 pm

Hey Pawlie, as Ozzy Osbourne so eloquently said:

The light in the window is a crack in the sky, Good to hear from you!

26. Macdog said, on June 27, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Hey, a hard hit by Pence!

• xoot said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:33 pm

114 mph exit velo I hear

27. Flavor said, on June 27, 2018 at 7:44 pm

my favorite nickname of all for these fat white women calling the cops on people for breaking the tiniest of crimes is *Permit Patty*. That is fucking solid gold.

• xoot said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:29 pm

her cannabis company makes good stuff. I’d just settled into a rhythm purchasing it, time to time, at Magnolia dispensary in Oakland, and Magnolia declared her banned the moment that video of her went viral. Now I have start all over again. Luckily the guy who owns my gym, former Cal football and rugby player, knows a lot about marijuana and hemp products.

• unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2018 at 10:07 pm

Chuck Muncie? He had a legendary bong collection back in the day.

• xoot said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:30 pm

Also Jogger Joe, the infamous Lake Merritt hipster jock, is by far the worst of those angry, sanctimonious “enforcers.” He got mad at one cellphone videographer and tossed the guy’s phone in the lake. Busted.

28. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Hey Pawlie, allow me to join the chorus of welcome back to the Flap, good to see you again

29. James said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:31 pm

The home plate umpire last night missed 7 pitches, calling 3 out of the zone, strikes, and 4 in the zone, balls. All but one of them were very close. If that type of performance was a standard the umps consistently met and were held to, there would be little need to think about using statcast to call balls and strikes.

30. chipower9 said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:36 pm

About time Bum got out of that inning. Damn, rough inning after getting the first two.

31. xoot said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:37 pm

amazing how hard it can be for even great pitchers to adjust to the stretch after half a perfect game

32. willedav said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:46 pm

So after Bum’s strain of an inning, he makes the second out, Gorks after a little delay swings at second pitch and hits 2 hopper to SS. Um, not how it’s drawn up.

33. chipower9 said, on June 27, 2018 at 8:52 pm

Pawlie – regarding your 3:54 and being away from the blog: the few times I have been away it was the same for me, in that it was not a conscious decision to not visit.

34. zumiee said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Krukow can really B.S. about umpires. He said this guy would have a small strikezone and, yet, he’s had a big strikezone, so Krukow has to hedge: “Well, the pitchers tonight have blah blah blah…..”

35. zumiee said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:11 pm

Oregon St. in the college finals. Who’da thunk it?

• zumiee said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:12 pm

They won game 1 tonight.

• chipower9 said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:43 pm

Oregon State had one of the better teams in the country this year. And actually, they won game 2 tonight. Arkansas won game 1 last night. Tomorrow night is for all the marbles. My dad was born in Arkansas, so I have to pull for the Razorbacks, Go Hogs!

36. alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:23 pm

Another wasted performance for Bum!
    Both pitchers pitched well though,shit happens, Couldn’t sniff a run tonight as both teams playing good overall..

37. zumiee said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:44 pm

Let’s end this thang.

38. zumiee said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:46 pm

Pence has abandoned the new batting stance.

39. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:49 pm
  40. xoot said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:50 pm

yeah yeah yeah! hang that breaking ball to B Craw!

41. alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:50 pm

Crawdaddy!!!
    Thank you for the game winning bomb!!!

42. willedav said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:51 pm

yaha! thought it might end like this. I was thinking Cutch or posey last inning. Nicely done once again.

• willedav said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:52 pm

and hoping it wasn’t Arenado off Moronta.

• zumiee said, on June 27, 2018 at 9:55 pm

43. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2018 at 10:04 pm

They used to have a pitch speed thing at the boardwalk. I think I got to 72.

44. pawliekokonuts said, on June 27, 2018 at 10:12 pm

Ah. The win just adds to the winning month. Which is funny, because for years people spoke of a Giants June swoon.

45. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2018 at 10:18 pm

Great to stomp these sherpas. Would love to get the sweep and not have the get-away lineup tomorrow.