.667 Ball

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 12, 2018

Taking 2 out of 3 from the Cubs was huge. All 3 games hung in the balance, all 3 games the Giants competed. You could quibble about the *competitive spirit* of their bats at times but what I saw was a team that competed, hard, against one of the best teams in the National League. Again, after losing 98 last year, I will take the effort and production we are getting this season.

I should be home later this afternoon. Looking forward to it.

1. chipower9 said, on July 12, 2018 at 6:55 am

Safe travels, Craig. I agree, after the POS team we saw last year, this team is a marked improvement. I have said it before and I will say it again, I truly believe the West will go down to the wire, and believe this team will be in the hunt until the end.

I heard on KNBR during the morning drive that the cubbies have dropped the last five series in our yard.

I thought Bochy bringing in D-Rod was brilliant, and it all worked out. The spells of not scoring runs is troublesome, but I think that is who this club is…a bunch of streaky hitters.

Gonna be an interesting series with the Fucking A’s.

2. willedav said, on July 12, 2018 at 7:08 am

love the pitching. Giants aren’t going to out bomb teams and they won yesterday despite giving up 3 of them.
    Cubs are very strong team with lots of offense and Giants held them down all series.
    A’s have quite a lot of pop too and are playing very well themselves; best team in 4-5 years. Bum Smrdz Suarez in round 1, round 2 after AS break.

Unlikely to watch it but I wouldn’t bet against J Baez at HR derby. guy takes helluva cut.

3. Flavor said, on July 12, 2018 at 7:18 am

Series with the A’s is hugely interesting to me. Young, Scrappy team. They could be a problem or not, we will see

4. willedav said, on July 12, 2018 at 7:29 am

A’s are mostly honky outfit too except for Semien and K Davis. SF missed bet on Piscotty who is nice story. Nothing special but would have worked out better than Jackson or Pence yada yada.

Speaking of honky OFs, hope Slater gets some more ABs. Hasn’t started since Sat and July hasn’t been good.
    0 XBHs in last 30 times up since 2 double game. Had the 2 hit game vs. AZ and then went 0-10 next 3 starts.

Duggar…has struck out 8 times (with 0 BBs) in his first 17 ABs. Uh settle down young blood and make contact.

5. willedav said, on July 12, 2018 at 8:07 am

Even tho Tribe and Rox scored 19 each there were also 5 shutouts yesterday.
    Cracks me up when position players pitch. Descalso gave up 2 bombs in couple innings yesterday. Alex Avila followed him to mound for last 2 gave up 1 hit and only threw 13 pitches. So most hitters up there swinging away at first pitch or two, probably facing 80 mph fastballs.

uh oh…Hanks says Belt might have skipped AS game anyway as the wife is expecting their second son.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 12, 2018 at 9:06 am

Great win to close out a long stretch of 33 games in 34 days. Posey sure looked spent talking to Amy. Or annoyed-one or the other. Is there another bay area star that’s as subdued and guarded as Gerald Dempsey?

San Jose area rights/concern trolling A’s fan is a close second to the endlessly droning Beatles fan.

Bring on the Pathetics!

• willedav said, on July 12, 2018 at 12:22 pm

that whole conspiracy Giants screwed the A’s out of San Jose was such a lame argument. Didn’t one of the SJ politicians try to sue MLB?
      tons more Giants fans in SJ and surrounding cities than A’s. Way more SF fans wearing gear too what I see.

• xoot said, on July 12, 2018 at 1:59 pm

they did sue–went all the way to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeal, which affirmed the dismissal the judge below had, reluctantly, entered, given the breadth of mlb’s peculiar exemption from the antitrust laws. (No other professional sports league enjoys anything similar; that’s why Al Davis whipped the NFL in the 80s and moved to LA.) The Supreme Court denied review of San Jose’s case. It was a losing lawsuit from the start, but Sam Liccardo used it to show what a SJ booster he is. mlb got its revenge by forcing the a’s to shit-can Lew Wolff right after the last CBA negotiations. Without doubt, mlb and the union (which hates the a’s and Wolff for many reasons) told the a’s to agree to get rid of the asshole Wolff (who only wanted to cash in on real estate deals in SJ) and get to work on an Oakland ballpark, or we’ll cancel your right to revenue sharing money in this CBA. The a’s obviously agreed.

7. willedav said, on July 12, 2018 at 9:17 am

Giants still doing very well 30-17 at home. After this weekend, 11 of next 15 on road vs. Oak Seattle SD and AZ. Then in August 10 game trip to face Dodgers Reds for 3 each and then 4 at Mets.

8. snarkk said, on July 12, 2018 at 11:34 am

Giants need to pick it up on the road…

9. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2018 at 2:21 pm

For zumie, from the last thread

Frank and the Mothers

fzw

10. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2018 at 2:24 pm

Aaaand the original . . from Zumie. I had never seen this before 5 minutes ago.

weasels

• unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2018 at 2:37 pm

Apparently this is from 1956.

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2018 at 2:56 pm

Yeah, those old pulp magazine covers are wild.

• xoot said, on July 12, 2018 at 3:09 pm

well known 1989 copyright infringement case, Narell v. Freeman, from (again) the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, cited “Weasels ripped my flesh” as an original, copyrightable short phrase, contrasting it with the more mundane and unprotectable phrases the plaintiff had written. In the appellate decision, some law clerk too smart for his or her own good attributed the phrase to Zappa. Somehow I’m not surprised Zappa appropriated it.

• unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2018 at 5:21 pm

I had no idea WRMF was something from other than the twisted mind of Frank Zappa. He turns a phrase pretty well in his own Weirder still, that album came out in 1968 if I recall. Why the 21 year wait for infringement? Or was this something else?

• xoot said, on July 12, 2018 at 5:56 pm

the infringement lawsuit didn’t involve Frank Z, it was between two book authors. The court of appeals, apparently pleased to show off its Zappa knowledge, just out of the blue cited WRMF as a rare example of a short phrase original enough to be copyrightable. As I say, I suspect a just-too-clever law clerk drafted the opinion assuming, as we all probably did, that Zappa was the author. (otoh, I’ll never forget the first time back in the 60s when I saw that electric shaving image . . . .)

• alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2018 at 3:48 pm

I’m busting a gut, their funny 😄!!

11. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2018 at 5:14 pm

Going to see Brit Floyd tonight at the Warfield. Should be cool. I[m not usually one for cover bands, but these guys are great.

2 years ago tix were $200.00 a pop. Now? $65.00 for floor seats.

• alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2018 at 5:37 pm

That should be a great show Chuck,I’m jealous! Warfield’s a great venue enjoy 😉

12. Flavor said, on July 12, 2018 at 8:10 pm

that was a lot of driving. Think I bubbled over 2,000 miles which is a lot for me. Talked to a few A’s fans today who are oddly confident about this upcoming series.

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2018 at 8:15 pm

They’re on a 19-5 streak, which is impressive.

13. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 12, 2018 at 8:32 pm

Craig, any interesting photos from your road trip? I miss road trips…

14. zumiee said, on July 12, 2018 at 9:26 pm

I wish there was an ump out there with the guts to not allow Utley to lean into pitches to get hit. But sadly no. He always gets away with it. There is a rule, but the umps ignore it.

• willedav said, on July 12, 2018 at 10:18 pm

there is another way to stop it and it’s long past time Utley was made aware of it.
      Sadly it’d probably get someone suspended. And this is just BS imo with all the armor hitters are allowed to wear while they lean over the plate trying to get to the outside pitch.

15. alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2018 at 10:29 pm

That hbp rule didn’t even exist when Dick Dietz got hit by Don Drysdale in 68 with the bases loaded which which would of ended his record streak at the time of scoreless innings, but the freakin ump said he made no attempt to get out of the way??? Wtf?? I’ve hated the Dodgers ever since then, we’ll probably even in my crib when my parents had me wrapped in orange &black.,Fuck LA!!!!

16. xoot said, on July 12, 2018 at 11:01 pm

I think this is the way Pablo came up in 2008 — he got promoted quickly to San Jose, raked, and then here he was in SF in August, backing up Benji and smacking the ball harder than anyone else on the team. Different time, of course, but still —

• snarkk said, on July 12, 2018 at 11:17 pm

Yeah, get him the hell up to San Jose.
      Maybe this kid is ready by end next spring training. Buster’s hip isn’t getting any younger…

Say Something....

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w