Handed Our (Ass)letics

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 16, 2018

The thought of not having to look at that underwhelming trophy at AT&T has dulled the sting of losing 2 of 3 to The Men in White Shoes. In fact, I just heard that if the series is somehow split 3/3 after the next three in Oakland, the team that gets it is the team that wins the final game. Lol. That is the final nail in the coffin for me on this nonsense. Personally, I think they should go with Newman’s verdict.

The Giants looked like they needed a break and they got one. Breaks just keep going our way, eh?

1. unca_chuck said, on July 16, 2018 at 8:21 am

I think the winner should get to drop it off their bridge.

2. unca_chuck said, on July 16, 2018 at 8:25 am

The pull of .500 is hard to overcome for these guys. The only thing keeping us in the race is the ineptitude of the dbags and dogs. One of those 2 will run away at some point, I’d think.

• zumiee said, on July 16, 2018 at 9:06 am

I think the Dodgers are pretty much on that course now. They’re something like 38-17 in their last 55 games. But maybe Arizona has enough this year to make it close.

3. snarkk said, on July 16, 2018 at 9:03 am

This series so far shows bare the mediocre talent level with the Giants.
    A team that is getting old. And, can’t hit HRs in an HR hitting time.
    This is what we’re looking at for the foreseeable future.
    Joey Bart can’t get up here fast enough…

• Flavor said, on July 16, 2018 at 11:34 am

did you read that article in the Atlantic about Posey? Hundley saying he’d hit .400 at Coors. Bochy confidently saying all his power would come back when he moves to first base. Weird, wild stuff, man

• chipower9 said, on July 16, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Have not seen that, Flav. You have the link available? I would like to read it…

• zumiee said, on July 16, 2018 at 12:57 pm

You mean The Athletic? There’s a paywall.

• Flavor said, on July 16, 2018 at 1:15 pm

yes, there’s a paywall. Pretty sure Snarkk is also a subscriber, tho

• snarkk said, on July 16, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Yes, I subscribe.
        I’ll take a look tonight…

4. alleykat69 said, on July 16, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Crawford batting 8th in the All-Star game.,
    Leave it to Dodger manager Dave Roberts to still stick it to a Giant..

5. unca_chuck said, on July 16, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Posey’s numbers by position. And sue me for not checking, but I think Posey has played more 1st base later in his career than earlier, so that skews the numbers some. Actually it doesn’t.

He’s played about 4x more games at C than 1st and he’s hit about 4x more HRs at C than 1st. Same with RBIs. The differences are almost negligible.

C 3628 .300 .371 .459 .829

1st 815 .336 394 .525 .919

Sure, there’s a difference. Enough to push Belt out? No. I don’t think Posey becomes a 22 HR guy by simply moving to 1st base. Or even an 18 HR guy at this point. Seeing as Buster’s HR nunbers go down after the break, what do we expect now? 1?

• chipower9 said, on July 16, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Posey’s only chance to hit 20 HR again is if he gets his hip right.

6. unca_chuck said, on July 16, 2018 at 3:08 pm

Here’s his career splits at d position…

posey

7. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on July 16, 2018 at 4:33 pm

The loser of the Bay Bridge Series should have to prominently display the trophy near their main entrance.
    Getting old means reading “Newman’s Verdict” and thinking it’s a reference to the Lumet movie (Mamet screenplay), watching the video and wondering when Solomon was referenced in that Iscar winning film.
    Baseball us a heartless business. All those injuries, and only one get well card from a a division rival.

8. Bozo said, on July 16, 2018 at 4:50 pm

I always thought Posey would have been more suited for Third base.
    If he isn’t able to catch anymore, I’d rather see him in LF than Belt. He couldn’t be any worse than some of the statues we had out there over the years.

• Lurker John said, on July 16, 2018 at 6:20 pm

With his utter lack of speed?

• unca_chuck said, on July 16, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Shit, even Pat the Bat and the dinosaur outfield moves better than Posey.

• Bozo said, on July 16, 2018 at 8:27 pm

I guess my point is, I’d rather see the Gold Glove first baseman playing first. Hell, even with bad hips, Posey probably moves better than Duvall does for the Reds.
      I guess the other option is to just continue playing him at Catcher where he puts up numbers better than most at that position.

• unca_chuck said, on July 16, 2018 at 8:40 pm

Yeah. Pretty much. Until Bart comes up in a couple years.

9. wilcojoe said, on July 16, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Tweet of the day: “Congrats to Bryce Harper for finally advancing past the first round in a Nats uniform.”

10. unca_chuck said, on July 16, 2018 at 8:07 pm

I simply cannot believe what I’ve heard today. Trump sold the US down the river for his self-preservation. At what point do we take to the streets?

11. willedav said, on July 16, 2018 at 8:28 pm

Another day in paradise here at Posey Bashing Central. I think all members of this committee should take it upon themselves to write Baer and get him on board with starting the countdown to when he announces Posey’s retirement which obviously cannot come too soon. And of course setting the date of the going away party which should be done as only Baer knows how.

• djloo27 said, on July 16, 2018 at 8:43 pm

I think sometimes we write things only because we have a place to write them…

12. unca_chuck said, on July 16, 2018 at 8:45 pm

No one is really bashing Posey, but I don’t think getting rid of Belt and moving Posey to first is a good idea. Or moving Belt to left field. Belt in LF would be an adventure in fielding. Moving Posey anywhere obviously weakens whatever spot he’s in and at catcher unless Bart comes in a rakes from the get-go.

13. djloo27 said, on July 16, 2018 at 9:33 pm

Somebody kind of said it the other day. The Giants don’t play baseball the way it’s played in 2018.
    They are slowly but surely sinking into oblivion. The summer can’t go by fast enough for me…