Biding Time Through The Break

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 17, 2018

I didn’t see any of the HR Derby. I wasn’t trying to miss it, just busy. Nice to see Bryce Harper finally get his World Series ring. Well, he celebrated like that’s what he won. I actually give big props to him for doing it. Bonds didn’t do it in SF. And all these guys who sit it out are a bunch of pussies. They’re afraid their swing will get messed up? Nonsense. They’re just lazy. You think all the guys who competed last night really thought their swing would be screwed up for the next 2 weeks? If so, why would they do it?

The only way I can find interest in the AS game tonight is with several line ups at draftkings so if you’re struggling like I am to find reasons to watch, there’s that….

1. chipower9 said, on July 17, 2018 at 7:57 am

Yep..biding time. HR derby never crossed my mind. Busy afternoon today with a workout and then barn hunt class with my dog, to tune-up for a trial this weekend in Truckee.

If I watch the AS game, I will probably miss the first couple of innings. I am well ready to get back on track with real games. Humm Baby!

2. snarkk said, on July 17, 2018 at 8:02 am

Close to zero interest in the AS game anymore.
    Too many players, bunch of strikeouts, boring.
    I heard on radio this morning that last season there were 10,000 fewer balls put in play compared to the 2009 season. If close to true, no wonder the game is getting boring to people…

3. zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 8:06 am

I didn’t watch the Derby, but they did the national anthem before it, which was silly. It made me wonder if the anthem is done at pro wrestling matches. Probably so.

• snarkk said, on July 17, 2018 at 8:10 am

Next we’ll be hearing the Russian national anthem…

• djloo27 said, on July 17, 2018 at 10:04 am

It’s actually very stirring…

4. mrsprtdude said, on July 17, 2018 at 9:10 am

Time for a little attitude of gratitude at the Break….
    Nine seasons of talking Giants at the break here at the Flap. Another (of many) thanks to Craig for keeping it going…
    And some thankfulness as well for this years team. Last year we not only sucked but had little to no hope the rest of the year would be anything but more of the same sucking.

This year we finally have a few young guys to root for, and some hope for contention the rest of the way. On paper with no knowledge…. How would you think our year has gone if this is what you did know???

Injuries to top 3 starters, 2 closers Melancon & Strickland, Longoria, and the sucking of our key pick ups Longo, Jackson, and Cutch (better now). Posey at .280 with 5 homers. Blach our opening day starter, Our best pitchers so far would be Suarez, and Rodriguez ( 2 guys I didn’t know we even had). Will Smith the closer at the break. Panda our starter at 3rd, A guy we sent to the minors has more wins at the break than MadBum, Cueto, Shark COMBINED!! Hundley has 3 more homers than Posey……

I could go on but why. Enjoy the 2nd half my fellow flappers. The 1st half is a gift we should be savoring

• djloo27 said, on July 17, 2018 at 9:23 am

^POTD^

• chipower9 said, on July 17, 2018 at 10:57 am

I second the motion. Great post SportDude.

5. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2018 at 9:48 am

You know your team sucks power wise when Bonds was probably the last Giant to even compete in a HR derby..
    Freakin’ Dodgers have a guy are 2 in every year ..

• djloo27 said, on July 17, 2018 at 9:56 am

And the only Giant even considered since was a pitcher…

• unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2018 at 11:05 am

A different guy . . . ooops this was supposed to go with AK’s post.

• alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2018 at 11:31 am

I’ll take it Chuck usually I get a thumbs down..

6. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on July 17, 2018 at 11:48 am

Melancon: πŸ‘/πŸ’©
    Smith: πŸ’©/πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    Williamson:πŸ’©πŸ’©/πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©

• alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Shits are winning 34 πŸ’©to 16 over thumbs upπŸ‘

7. zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Manfred wants more changes but he’s not keen on electronically calling balls and strikes.

• chipower9 said, on July 17, 2018 at 2:10 pm

That is one of the few changes I am open to…

Ban on shifts, DH in NL…No Bueno

8. zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 1:03 pm

Three Giants went surfing.

• xoot said, on July 17, 2018 at 1:30 pm

surfing? no.

9. willedav said, on July 17, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Giants are 4 games out of the division lead and 4 out of WC. Flawed aging product, OK but it’s where they are right now after almost 100 games, and that’s with a better record than the Nationals. There just has not been the preseason dominance by the favored teams as predicted. Giants just after beating the first place cubs in a great series. don’t tell me they can’t hang with better teams despite all the injuries..

but wow the Dodgers getting Machado even as a rental would suck.

10. gianthead said, on July 17, 2018 at 1:41 pm

I will hate seeing Machado in a Flopper uniform. Hopefully Phillies or Brewers up their offer…

• zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 1:55 pm

The sadly funny thing is the Dodger prospects that get traded are usually over-rated. With all the prospects the Dodgers have traded in the last few years, who’s turned into something?
      The Dodgers don’t trade the valuable ones. Teams need to wake up to that.
      The three minor leaguers they traded for Wood are all completely out of MLB organizations now.

• zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 1:57 pm

The Dodgers have become masters of hyping their marginal prospects.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 17, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Posey listed as injured leaves Brandon Crawford as the club’s lone representative at the All-Star game tonight. I’m not going to watch but here’s some of Mr Mom’s defensive highlights. His arm strength is still something that stands out to me. I think it was Tim Hudson that said he “just throws a really true ball”.

12. snarkk said, on July 17, 2018 at 2:41 pm

How could LA pick up Machado now and still be under the lux tax limit line? I would have thought they are near it just like the Giants…

• Flavor said, on July 17, 2018 at 2:48 pm

What is the penalty? 50% of what they go over, something like that? So machado is due another 6 mil this year (guessing). Then even if they’re up against it that pay 3 mil penalty? Is that the right ballpark? I haven’t studied the details of the lux tax at all

• zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 3:04 pm

I think it also affects how much teams are allowed to spend on prospects from other countries.

• snarkk said, on July 17, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Yeah, rough crowd. Thumbs down for asking a legit question…
      πŸ™‚

13. Flavor said, on July 17, 2018 at 2:49 pm

I’ll fix the tup/tdown thing later. Trolls having too much fun with it, wave bye bye

14. djloo27 said, on July 17, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Well who doesn’t think LA is gonna run off and hide with Machado + whoever else I’m sure they’ll add.
    Signing Puig as a FA makes so much sense for the Giants. Why don’t you guys see that?

• sandog said, on July 17, 2018 at 4:20 pm

I was with you on this for a long time, but my enthusiasm is waning.

• Flavor said, on July 17, 2018 at 5:49 pm

nice to see you coming around on how overrated Puig is.

• djloo27 said, on July 17, 2018 at 6:56 pm

I think he’d be huge in SF. We have enough swell guys who can’t hit.
        I’ll take a talented jerk from our arch rival and shake things up…

• Lurker John said, on July 17, 2018 at 7:52 pm

Why bother, Loo, if it’s not going to significantly beef up this pathetic offense? Let someone else deal with headache.

• Flavor said, on July 17, 2018 at 5:21 pm

they only get him for 2 months and then he will be leaving to the highest bidder. I’m not that worried about Machado, shit it takes 2 months just to learn the new league. Plus, they’ll have to give up one of the top prospects. That’s awesome. Go ahead and pull the trigger Dodgers

15. zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 4:58 pm

Really getting tired of national networks putting a mic on Roberts because he does rah-rah stuff during the game. It’s lame.

16. zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Reporters at the on-deck circle. That’s the kind of cruddy idea a network executive would think is good.

17. Flavor said, on July 17, 2018 at 5:48 pm

personally I liked the tup/tdwn option. But whatever, there are some pussy trolls out there who can’t get through my firewall so that’s how they get their rocks off. Fuck them.

18. Flavor said, on July 17, 2018 at 5:58 pm

Crawford badly overmatched there

19. Flavor said, on July 17, 2018 at 6:20 pm

Machado going to LA is fine with me. We need more stars on the west coast anyway. And I don’t think it’s a slam dunk at all that he just seamlessly transitions to the NL and rakes everyone. I could easily see a scenario where this blows up in their faces making it all the more glorious.

• snarkk said, on July 17, 2018 at 6:25 pm

Well, yeah that could happen. Still, I’d take him and figure out what to do with Longoria or Crawford…

• Flavor said, on July 17, 2018 at 6:47 pm

well shit I’d take him too. But that’s not gonna happen so I’m rooting for the alternative story line where it takes him 2 months to learn the league and by the time he does the Dodgers have lost the west and he’s focused up on what AL team he’s gonna sign with as a free agent

20. zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Crawford gets jobbed by the ump. Pitch clearly wasn’t a strike. That digital box creates viewer frustration.

21. Flavor said, on July 17, 2018 at 6:46 pm

absurd strike out call on Craw

22. zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 6:49 pm

I’ve been reading some of the transcript of the indictment of the 12 Russians. Very specific information. Very hard work done by agents and CIA operatives; some of whom may have risked their lives to get some of that info.
    And Trump just spit all over that hard work.
    The document is long but interesting. It’s posted online at various sites.

23. Lurker John said, on July 17, 2018 at 7:50 pm

Snarkk is probably wasn’t anyone legit thumbing your post down, or any of the other posts lately. Some runaway troll. Good call, Flav, bagging it. Serves no purpose.

24. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2018 at 7:51 pm

Fucking mics 🎀 on the players in the field?Wtf and what’s worse it’s Joe β€œFucking Buck” speaking BS in their ears πŸ‘‚!!!

25. willedav said, on July 17, 2018 at 7:53 pm

I see Puig as AAA player—athletic arrogant and airheaded.
    No thanks. I’d rather lose without him.

26. Lurker John said, on July 17, 2018 at 7:57 pm

This is the first AS game in years I’ve watched most of, and it’s pretty much another snoozer.

27. Lurker John said, on July 17, 2018 at 7:58 pm

Well that should take care of that.

28. willedav said, on July 17, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Nice f-ing job Votto. foul pop hit you right in the glove. Belt snags that with his eyes closed.
    Craw btw is 31 the age when supposedly skills fall off the table. Instead he and Belt whose contracts were thought untradeable, are both doing fine and helping to solidify IF.

Roberts finally gets out there, nice. I’m telling you, he ain’t ever getting over the ’88 hill.

29. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2018 at 8:06 pm

Gotta be sweet forJean Segura , not only now the MVP of the A/S game he did the damage against his former team Milwaukee with that bomb off the Brewers pitcher..

30. zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 8:35 pm

HRs are great, but when all the scoring is HRs, you lose the excitement of guys running the bases and fielders making dramatic throws.

31. zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Uh oh, extra innings.

32. wilcojoe said, on July 17, 2018 at 8:42 pm

Bregman is so clutch.

33. wilcojoe said, on July 17, 2018 at 8:43 pm

Holy shit. Springer Dinger.

34. zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 8:46 pm

Machado is s great pick-up for the Dodgers, but their starting pitching still has to prove it can win a championship. Stripling is getting lit up tonight.

35. wilcojoe said, on July 17, 2018 at 8:47 pm

This is fucking great. β€˜Stros going back to back off Stripling. It’s like World Series redux.

• willedav said, on July 17, 2018 at 9:05 pm

yeah great to see, again.

36. zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Stripling is getting Hammakered.

37. zumiee said, on July 17, 2018 at 8:53 pm

I knew Lowrie was coming up because I could hear “Tom Sawyer.”

38. wilcojoe said, on July 17, 2018 at 8:55 pm

Hank Schulman had a pretty good tweet a moment ago. β€œBoy, Stripling’s manager is going to be fuming at how long they’re letting him go.”

39. sandog said, on July 17, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Watched most of the game on delay. This is the 2nd time I’ve been burned by just going with the 30 minute default extra recording time and ended up missing the end of the game. The first was the Vikes/Saints playoff game, and that one HURT. This one, not so much—though i would have liked to have seen that game tying homer by Scooter.
    Last year I thought maybe Bregman was getting built up a bit much a bit soon, but maybe the dude is a superstar and I’m the last one to figure it out.
    Yes, Buck bugs big time, but I gotta admit I kind of enjoyed hearing the guys miced up out there. I knew nothing about Lindor, but he’s got some serious charisma.. Shame on me for making assumptions, but I would not have guessed he would speak English so well. Blackmon seems like a great guy too.
    I’m hit and miss on the ASG these days. Glad I checked this one out.

Did Loo ever do his annual rant yesterday about a kid getting killed shagging fly balls?

• djloo27 said, on July 18, 2018 at 3:59 am

I gave it a rest this year, San Dog, but it’s as unbelievable as ever to me.
      Sent you a very brief little E-mail yesterday…

• sandog said, on July 18, 2018 at 6:30 am

I dont see anything from you. It definitely went thru?

40. unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2018 at 10:38 pm

DIdn’t see any of the game but I am totally digging on the all star hats. They look liike the Expos hats of yore.