Forget Machado

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 19, 2018

The bottom line with LA picking up Machado is that it doesn’t effect the Giants much at all. SF just needs to worry about winning games consistently. If Machado slogs his way through the next 66 games or if he blasts the ball like Babe Ruth, it won’t matter if we all we do is toil around the .500 mark.

I think getting rid of Smargerine could be a big hidden add at the deadline. He’s hurt, he’s been hurt all year, it’s silly to keep trotting him out there and just praying for something that isn’t going to happen. I’m far more concerned about what the extra innings will mean for guys like Baby Pudge and Suarez. Cueto continues to be the tipping point for the season. If he’s gonna go the way of Smargerine and fade off into August we’re done no matter what Machado does in LA…..

1. willedav said, on July 19, 2018 at 7:52 am

Lot more teams in contention for each division and for WCs than anyone thought preseason. Should make for exciting finish. See who else besides LA makes deals.

Lot of good things have happened this year especially with young pitching and influx of new position players.
    Minus “lux tax ate my roster” nonsense I can see way forward to being able to contend. And sure dumping off some highly paid/under performing vets would be addition by subtraction.

Wouldn’t surprise me Machado thrives being on a team that’s into a pennant race. Toles was good looking player before he got hurt and if he emerges they could afford to dump off Puig and rest Kemp more. Like last year tho, their pitching and the way Roberts handles it should continue to doom them.

Kinda funny to see J Familia’s name pop up in so many trade rumors. Wasn’t he on the mound for one of last great Giant post season highlights?

• willedav said, on July 19, 2018 at 7:53 am

more “NL” teams in contention. Not good for Giants but still a good thing overall imo.

• Flavor said, on July 19, 2018 at 8:00 am

Machado is a great hitter, he could easily thrive in LA. But the alternative narrative, the one I’ll go with, is that he will struggle adjusting to the league and not start clicking until it’s too late…

2. snarkk said, on July 19, 2018 at 8:56 am

Hopefully this AS break added some oomph to tired Pen arms.
    Particularly Watson’s — he’s looked a little ragged lately after being used a ton so far…

3. unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2018 at 9:02 am

I was gonna say just like Carlos Beltran but I think he came from the Mets . . . He got here and scuffled for 3 weeks before getting hurt IIRC.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 19, 2018 at 9:05 am

Yeah, Giants were something like 4 games ahead in the division at the end of July, Beltran arrived, and the team immediately tanked into oblivion. Maybe just a coincidence, maybe not.

• willedav said, on July 19, 2018 at 9:11 am

oh yeah Twin ragged on Beltran for doing too little too late to help Pablo.
      Still being a younger guy in real pennant race and far away from suckitude of O’s I think could do wonders for M. If he’s patient enough to take walks it will still help their LU which is pretty well loaded.
      Man I’d hate to have to vote for Maddon to beat LA. AL teams just seem more solid.
      One other thing about A/S game–only saw last few innings but AL position players seemed decidedly less honky.

4. alleykat69 said, on July 19, 2018 at 9:12 am

Can’t get rid of Alphabet, BP only

5. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 19, 2018 at 9:13 am

Yes, the Giants just need to worry about their own situation. They need at least 2 things to happen the rest of the way: Bum and Cueto start pitching like aces again, and “the kids” get playing time and make things happen on offense. Without those, no postseason. I still don’t think they’ll catch LA for the division so I’d been thinking the wildcard was an easier path to the postseason, but I’m increasingly less optimistic about that without a couple major winning streaks, which have been elusive up til now…

6. willedav said, on July 19, 2018 at 9:36 am

Anyone heard anything about rotation for the A’s series? They skipped Cueto for Suarez last Sunday.
    3 vs. A’s in Oaktown
    day off
    2 vs. M’s in Seattle
    4 at home vs. Brewers
    2 at SD before next day off Aug 1

7. snarkk said, on July 19, 2018 at 9:44 am

If SF got Machado we’d be getting out the Saran Wrap here. LA gets him and it’s not necessarily a big deal? I think we’re whistling past the graveyard a bit…

• djloo27 said, on July 19, 2018 at 2:12 pm

The only thing I’m whistling is “Taps”…

8. unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2018 at 10:44 am

If they keep trotting out Smargle it’ll piss me off no end. Same goes for Pence. It just shows they aren’t willing to play the ytouth and hope for the best. It shows they are praying for redemption from the brokedown guys.

Fricking Cutch is ready to go on the MINAJ list of signings that flat suck.

Just think if they started with season with Slater and Duggar in the OF, cut Pence, didn’t sign MINAJ, Cutch, or Longoria, and Hanson and Pablo floating around the infield.

Would we be in worse shape record-wise? I doubt it. Would we be in better shape to sign free agents next year? Hell to the yes.

________

Shit, I don’t know. they look great. They look like shit. They pitch well till they don’t. The bats go quiet for weeks at a time. hard to know what will happen, but we got a tough row to hoe starting tomorrow. In two weeks (well, after the Hou series) we will have a good idea of what our strategy should be.

9. chipower9 said, on July 19, 2018 at 10:56 am

Brad Hand to the Tribe…

10. willedav said, on July 19, 2018 at 11:11 am

Pablo’s a nice story but…he isn’t any better than 2014 season when he left–.316 OB/,402 slugging and still waving at pitches beyond the strike zone. Doesn’t do much to counter LHP Giants see on reg basis.
    He may have mended all the fences but he still isn’t good enough to be reg every day starter and at his age unlikely to be going forward either.
    This is last year Sox pay him I think; if you really want to rebuild I can’t see him as part of the solution.
    He can take the WillieMac award with him on way out the door.

• zumiee said, on July 19, 2018 at 11:16 am

The Sandoval/D’anaurd platoon is decent until Longoria gets back. With that contract, Longoria will be the full-time 3b.
      Longoria is a mystery. We get the “struggling to hit in a new league” explanation for his bat, but his defense is weirdly inconsistent.

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2018 at 2:51 pm

I wonder if his D stats on the rug in Tampa skewed upward his stats compared to when he played on real grass? Now he’s on real grass the entire season…

11. zumiee said, on July 19, 2018 at 11:26 am

It’ll be interesting to see who gets dropped from the Dodgers’ roster. Forsythe and Utley are both Pence-ish, especially Utley. But just like Pence, the Dodgers don’t want to DFA because of issues not related to performance on the field.
    My guess is the Dodgers are frantically trying to trade Forsythe. Not going to be an easy sell.

• Flavor said, on July 19, 2018 at 11:31 am

I’m surprised Forsythe has been nearly worthless. I didn’t think he would be a star but he should have been serviceable.

12. willedav said, on July 19, 2018 at 11:31 am

Yes Zum those 2 are bridge guys. I think this whole season is a bridge to next, when roster looks different in off season. Cutch Pence leaving saves $30 mil of salary and deals start happening. Cueto gets moved, maybe even Bum too plus Panik and a reliever or 2; maybe some of that starts happening before this season ends. Prospects and maybe 1 legit good hitting OF come in and team gets younger and more athletic…and hopefully less honky.

13. willedav said, on July 19, 2018 at 11:50 am

According to B/R rotation this weekend goes DRod Bum Cueto.

14. Irish Kevin said, on July 19, 2018 at 12:08 pm

I thought this year with the addition of Longo and Cutch the offense would be better. I think it is great that the Giants have once again been forced to bring guys from the farm to evaluate them. And it shows that some of them are big league ready. I am a true believer in youth movements.

• unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2018 at 12:51 pm

The offense IS better. But not because of them.

15. unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2018 at 12:50 pm

Flav, I feel the same way about Cutch. He hasn’t been worthless but he’s close. And his defense has been horrific.

I don’t see either Cueto OR Bummie going. Shit, get Sonny Grey next year. He’s miserable in NY. I’m sure he’d rebound some like Pablo did when he got out of the intense scrutiny of the east coast media. The guys on The Game were talking about Grey this morning and it wouldn’t be a half-bad idea. With Pudge Lite and Southbound, we’ll be set n the rotation.

Pablo can go back to the bench and be the Super Sub at 3rd and 1st. Longo? He’s the cross to bear. The question is do we trade Panik and install Randy Hanson at 2nd?

• chipower9 said, on July 19, 2018 at 1:05 pm

See my comment below, Charlie. I personally think the chances of Panik being dealt are less than 50%. The Giants would have to think they are getting pretty good value on the return. Panik isn’t on the team for his stick…it is that DP combo with Craw where the value lies.

Panik’s averages over five years: .278, .341, .401, .742; averaging 11 HRs and 61 RBI.

He also has two years of arbitration left, which translates to a somewhat controlled salary (he is making $3.45 this year). I like Hanson more in the super-sub role, as opposed to any everyday guy.

16. chipower9 said, on July 19, 2018 at 12:56 pm

RE: WillieD’s 11:31…

I believe Smardj gets moved before Bum and Cueto. I know many here want to tear it down, and I too want the team to get younger, but I will be surprised in either Bum or Cueto are dealt in the off-season.

Pence and Cutch = 33 mil. This is a few more than the 30 mil Willie states, and 3 mil may not seem like much, but that is not true when you look at this year’s team bucking up against the tax.

There are also two FAs who will get looked at hard for bringing back: Hundley and Holland (2.5 mil and 1.75, respectively).

Also, there are eight guys eligible for arbitration: Dyson, Panik, Smith, Gearrin, Strickland, Gorkys, Tomlinson, and Osich. Those last three only total 1.5 mil. The others total 13.5 mil. Gearrin is probably released in the off-season. Maybe Osich, too. Panik being dealt is no better than 50-50 chance, IMO.

So, there is a chunk of change there that must be considered going into next year…anywhere between 12-15 mil, or so. Replacements for any not kept are probably not much cheaper than the current guys, if at all.

• willedav said, on July 19, 2018 at 1:07 pm

hey thx for $$$ updates. I was against dumping pitching but I think the young pitchers have potential to lessen the hit and B or C (and Watson or Strick) would bring talent back even if SF had to send along some money with Cueto. Be great if they could get anything for Smrdz.

• alleykat69 said, on July 19, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Earth to Chi,
      Gearrin’s are ready gone to Texas along with Missing in Action Jackson who was dumped by them right away, bet they dump Raindelay as well..

• chipower9 said, on July 19, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Good catch, Kat. Cot’s still has him listed on the club’s salary breakdown. In the grand scheme of things in regards to next year’s salary commitment, his 1.6 mil is small potatoes.

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2018 at 2:54 pm

I assume Texas took on Gearrin’s salary…

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2018 at 2:57 pm

Sorry guys, I’m on a cell phone and missed Kat’s comment re Gearrrin. Pence and Cutch gone will big time help the salary situation…

17. djloo27 said, on July 19, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Sandoval is signed for $18 million next year. I assume Boston pays all but $500K of that.
    What happens in 2020? There’s a $17 million club option or a $5 million buyout.
    How much of either choice would the Red Sox be on the hook for?
    Anybody know?

• chipower9 said, on July 19, 2018 at 2:49 pm

I do not know definitively, but believe they are on the hook for either one or the other. Of course they won’t exercise the option, so I believe they will owe him 5 mil, and he would then be a FA.

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2018 at 3:01 pm

My guess would be Boston would only be on hook for $5 million as that is not conditional comp, which the $17 million is. So if option exercised, giants would pay $12 million. Just a guess. Won’t happen anyway. So Boston will be out the $5 million regardless …

• djloo27 said, on July 19, 2018 at 3:16 pm

Thanks, guys – makes sense…

• djloo27 said, on July 19, 2018 at 4:04 pm

Mac closes the case…

• chipower9 said, on July 19, 2018 at 5:28 pm

Mac the Knife with a surgical strike! Thanks, Mac. This is exactly what had I assumed.

18. alleykat69 said, on July 19, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Sandoval’s living the “Food Buffet Dream” with his contract….

19. djloo27 said, on July 19, 2018 at 3:53 pm

The always injured Cespedes has $58 million coming his way over the next 2 years.
    I would give the Mets Smarj, Panik, Strickland, Oaf and some cash for him.
    Then I’d sign Puig as a FA…

• djloo27 said, on July 19, 2018 at 4:09 pm

• chipower9 said, on July 19, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Which would push them way over the tax next year. I know there is some type of reset if they stay under this year, but don’t know the details. There would still be some type of penalty for going over, just not sure what that would be.

They lose 33 mil off the books with Pence and Cutch.

To resign Holland and Hundley (FAs I would expect they will consider trying to resign) will cost at least what they made this year, which is about 5 mil, collectively.

Then you have the eight arbitration eligible guys who account for another 13 mil or so.

It all shakes out to only 15 mil, give or take, being available to sign additional FAs.

I sure as fuck don’t like it, but it is the reality of the situation. I would love to see them go all bumbinos and say fuck the tax, we’re making some noise!

• unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2018 at 4:30 pm

Then sign Jose Okendo as hitting coach, Ron Cey as bench coach, Steve Garvey as prayer leader, and Tommy Lasagne as manager and we’ll be set!

• unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2018 at 4:30 pm

“Give me ‘People I hate’ for $1600, Alex.”

20. djloo27 said, on July 19, 2018 at 4:36 pm

God forbid our outfield has some power, some attitude, some athleticism.
    I’ve OD’ed on Honkies & Holograms…

• Flavor said, on July 19, 2018 at 4:46 pm

if you add those two dudes that should say “God forbid our DL has some power, some attitude, some athleticism”

• chipower9 said, on July 19, 2018 at 5:41 pm

“I’ve OD’d on Honkies and Holgrams,” now that had me laughing my fucking ass off…

21. zumiee said, on July 19, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Hey, MLB listened to my whining from last year and put a game on the Thurs. after the All Star game.

22. zumiee said, on July 19, 2018 at 6:11 pm

Ozuna has a .700 OPS for the Cards. Ouch.

23. alleykat69 said, on July 19, 2018 at 7:24 pm

This team going forward next year needs a Bryce Harper legit middle of the LU stud that will bomb you 30-40 bombs.You can’t compete in this day and age with a team that won’t even have a player hit 20..They have to go all in on Harper are even Arenado if theirs a possibility.
    But as usual I know neither one will come here, so Jim this message will self destruct in 10 seconds..Any member of your team is captured, well your fucked, your on your own, the state department is in complete denial of your existence…

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2018 at 7:35 pm

There’s a better chance that Drumpf will plant a Frech Kiss on Stormy Daniels in the Oval Office in front of the WHouse press corps than the Giants sporting Harper or Arenado in their 2019 Opening Day lineup…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 19, 2018 at 8:23 pm

Sarah Huckasan would simply inform everyone that it wasn’t a kiss, and no one saw or heard anything correctly anyway. Fake news, media is enemy of the people, etc. But I’d still like to see both of those things happen….. 🙂