The 8th Wonder…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 23, 2018

That was a weekend series we could easily have swept. I need something to take my mind off that…Hmmmmm….Oh I know, how about an exact replica of the Nightmare on Elm Street house made out of popsicle sticks?

Screenshot 2018-07-23 at 6.26.10 AM

And now one at night with the light on:

Screenshot 2018-07-23 at 6.26.30 AM

Our own DJLoo created this masterpiece. You would think he was inspired back in ’84 when the movie came out but you’d be wrong. He built this bitch in 2011. Claims it took 200-300 hours. It took Michelangelo 4 years to paint the Sistine Chapel. Sounds like good ol’ Mike coulda used some advice from Loo on time management.

Anyway, this is brilliant and it’s already taken my mind off the Giants losing the series to Oakland.

For those still in the Elm Street mood, here is Johnny Depp’s debut movie role. He died a horrific death inside the house you seem depicted above….

If any Flapper out there has built anything that tops Loo’s piece de resistence, please send it my way: bigflavor77@gmail.com. I’m expecting my inbox to remain empty on this topic but I guess we’ll see……

1. Flavor said, on July 23, 2018 at 9:30 am

keeping in line with the horror movie theme today:

2. pawliekokonuts said, on July 23, 2018 at 9:31 am

DJLoo, R.A., A.I.A.
    Specializing in high-end, artisanal design-build residences.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2018 at 9:37 am

I used to picture Loo as a Taiwanese-American Dentist. Now its more along the lines of a 400 lb hacker living in his mom’s basement. I know he’s got some flowing hair soo….something in between?

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2018 at 9:39 am

to me he’ll always be a 3 foot tall Chinese carnie reject from a bankrupt circus on Coney Island

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2018 at 2:46 pm

I wish…

4. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2018 at 9:38 am

Bitchin work Loo!
    What did you use on the porch columns, popsicle sticks too?

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Just some wooden pieces from something that I found in my miscellaneous crap drawer…

5. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2018 at 10:33 am

Is that light left on for Anthony Perkins dead đź’€ mom at night??

6. gianthead said, on July 23, 2018 at 10:56 am

Dracaloo takes the cake…a pisser of a way to start the second half…

• gianthead said, on July 23, 2018 at 10:57 am

Does he also have a replica of the Amittyville House???

7. Lurker John said, on July 23, 2018 at 11:14 am

Holy smokes, Loo, you’re an artiste!

8. zumiee said, on July 23, 2018 at 11:19 am

Great work, Loo! Beautifully done. My wife does some art and craft projects. That’s very well done.

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2018 at 2:41 pm

Thanks guys. I’m as proud as a grown man who plays with popsicle sticks can be…

9. Irish Kevin said, on July 23, 2018 at 12:19 pm

So…no baseball talk today? My internet was down during the game so I could not post some choice words for Melacon. Let’s just say my TV almost went into the pool. I was so pissed when he gave up the HR, but then they showed him walking around on the mound like he didn’t have a care in the world! That is when the TV almost went into the pool

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2018 at 12:37 pm

MLBTR reporting that the Giant’s are interested in.
    Austin Jackson! (fer fucks sake)

I really wonder what has to happen for Slater to get an ass crack of daylight. McCutchen being moved? Doubt it because Hernandez will probably slide to RF with Pence in LF.

11. chipower9 said, on July 23, 2018 at 1:17 pm

Loo – brilliant. Who’d a thunk it. After meeting you in NYC in 2016, I would have never seen that coming…

What do you have planned for an encore?

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2018 at 2:38 pm

That was it for me, Chi. Like I told Flavor, I made it for my friend’s kid who I had helped with some small projects. I thought this thing would take a few days – not an entire summer…

• chipower9 said, on July 23, 2018 at 2:59 pm

I get it brother. LMAO…

12. chipower9 said, on July 23, 2018 at 1:25 pm

OK.Here are a couple of baseball tidbits.

First, this one is pretty amusing. Cannot recall from where the piece came, but this was one of those “current rankings” of MLB teams. The Giants ranked 12th. Really? Has the author been watching a hologram rendition of the team?

Also, this may be old news, but I saw where Smardj got a platelet injection a couple of days ago. Here is an excerpt of that article, discussing the challenges in dealing Smardj, that made me cringe:

“He has $46 million left on a five-year deal that runs through 2020 and has produced just 22 wins in 74 starts (although he was a significant contributor to the 2016 playoff push).” 22 wins in 74 fucking starts. Wow…

13. chipower9 said, on July 23, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Here are the details as mentioned by Dirt, re: Actionless…this just makes me fucking livid! Play the fucking kids, already!

14. zumiee said, on July 23, 2018 at 2:11 pm

Jackson is at a -1.3 WAR so far this season.
    The Giants have to care about analytics at some point.

15. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2018 at 2:30 pm

Booby Evans is a complete utter moron!!!
    He really thinks MIAJ is a better player then Slater are Duggar???
    God we need to get rid of this dude badly, he’s killing my enthusiasm for this team with his useless thinking 🤔..

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2018 at 2:39 pm

I can’t possibly take that report seriously, although I think Duggar has big problems at the plate…

• chipower9 said, on July 23, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Yes. Duggar has looked overfaced at the plate, but I love his base running and play in the OF. It isn’t like he is blocking anyone, so let’s see what the kid can do with a hundred or two ML ABs.

16. djloo27 said, on July 23, 2018 at 2:34 pm

I can only imagine what Twin would’ve said about my popsicle house.
    Especially if he was mad at me.
    Would’ve been hilarious…

• chipower9 said, on July 23, 2018 at 3:02 pm

lqtm just imagining that.

17. Macdog said, on July 23, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Great stick house, Loo! A much more productive way to spend the time in 2011 than watching the Giants that season.

18. chipower9 said, on July 23, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Nothing solid here boys, since next year’s schedule isn’t even out yet, but I am starting to think about a trip to Wrigley and the Windy City next year to see our Gigantes play the cubbies. Would be cool if other Flappers could make it, and we did a Flapalooza, Chicago-style. I have reached-out to Blade, and it sounds like he would possibly be interested.

19. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2018 at 5:59 pm

i have a daughter in Seattle . . . wouldn’t mind going up there . . . already been to Wrigley a couple times but I could do it agian.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2018 at 7:11 pm

I like the Seattle ballpark a lot. It’s a lot like AT&T, but without the spectacular view. I’ve been there several times. The crowd can be real dead sometimes. Nice folks who are very quiet sometimes when they watch a game.
      Maybe the playoff hunt this season has them making more noise.

• chipower9 said, on July 23, 2018 at 8:56 pm

Let’s do it.

20. Bozo said, on July 23, 2018 at 7:20 pm

And it lights up? Awesome job Loo.

21. zumiee said, on July 23, 2018 at 7:27 pm

The A’s are stomping the Rangers. Nobody really wants to be playing the A’s right now.

22. zumiee said, on July 23, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Fun fact: Matt Duffy is top 10 in the AL in batting average at the moment.

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2018 at 7:38 pm

no power, no speed, injury prone. They can have him.

23. Macdog said, on July 23, 2018 at 7:33 pm

Three walks by this goddamn terrible Philly reliever in the top of the 9th, the last with the bases loaded to hand LA a 6-5 lead.

24. Flavor said, on July 23, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Loo, the lighting up aspect of your masterpiece has somehow escaped applause (until Bozo just noticed). What was involved in the design of that?

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2018 at 8:53 pm

It was quite an engineering dilemma. I used one of those little nightlights with an LED bulb so it doesn’t get hot. It’s plugged into an extension cord that feeds out through the bottom of the house and has a built in switch. I got her a lot of colors so she can just pull it out and change them whenever she wants. Had to close off the other “rooms” so the light wouldn’t bleed into them. The windows are kind of a frosted plastic so you can’t see the mess of cardboard, duct tape and foil inside – plus it gives it an eerie glow. I guess this is what I’ll leave the world (unless it gets M-80’ed)…

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2018 at 9:13 pm

lol do not fucking m80 that thing. I’m doing a huge clean up of the studio at my house and today, in a box, I found a picture of the band Cinderella when they were just starting out. Got the whole thing autographed and shit. I’m sending it to San Dawg so he can hang it in his RV since an RV is where those dudes did most of their damage with the ladies….
        That popsicle masterpiece would look good in Harvey too. At least a picture of it would…..

25. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Cubs starter gave up 5 in the 1st to AZ. 7-1 in the 8th. They have their catcher Carotini pitching now,

26. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2018 at 7:45 pm

That popsicle house is a masterpiece, Loo. Closest thing I had to that was a mission I built in 2nd grade. Popsicle sticks sugar cubes and 2 bottles of Elmer’s glue.

Like a lot of you I built models as a kid. WW II planes a specialty. Hung them from the ceiling, the whole deal. I also built some cars. They all suffered massive cherry bomb and M-80 deaths when I got a little older.

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2018 at 7:58 pm

you blew up all the shit you built. That is fucking hilarious and awesome.

• chipower9 said, on July 23, 2018 at 8:59 pm

Damn, god to know I wasn’t the only one who blew up my models. I did cars and aircraft, too! Mine were not works of art like some you see, so no great loss…

27. xoot said, on July 23, 2018 at 8:09 pm

Beautiful popsicle stick house, nicely detailed. I hope the kid got a high grade.
    I built California missions with my sons, 4th grade requirement. The fourth grade teacher was (and is) a huge Giants fan who treated my older son like a prince. She and her husband had three season seats up by the splash cam, and they loved to take my fanatic kid to games. So I felt obligated to work on the fucking fourth grade mission. My son says he learned how to swear while we sweated over that piece of mandatory shit.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2018 at 9:33 pm

Well, think how the Native Americans felt who were forced to build the actual real missions. You had it easy. 🙂

• xoot said, on July 23, 2018 at 10:00 pm

Well I’m sure many of them didn’t survive to laugh about it later when they visited Carmel by the Sea on family vacation, that’s true

28. zumiee said, on July 23, 2018 at 9:37 pm

I’m enjoying Jonathan F. Putnam’s historical mystery novel series about Abe Lincoln as a young lawyer. Well-written and entertaining.
    There are three books in the series so far.

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2018 at 9:52 pm

Fuck it – the summer’s not over.
      How about a log cabin made out of swizzle sticks?

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2018 at 11:52 pm

29. snarkk said, on July 23, 2018 at 9:47 pm

I remember putting together model Navy ships and military aircraft when I was a kid. Lots of boys did that back then. Hand-eye coordination, glue, and perseverance, baby. Kids now have about a 5 minute attention span, and it’s off to something else or some other app they have to jack around with…

30. willedav said, on July 24, 2018 at 8:08 am

in the comments on the MINAJ story is interesting argument (over DeGrom) about when to get better return for trading big star. One guy takes position now is better as opposed to off season even if there aren’t going to be as many potential suitors; argument being one of the jonesing teams would give up more to get ahead.
    Might be time for Giants to test this theory out and see what shakes loose.

• willedav said, on July 24, 2018 at 8:09 am

Yanks btw are farther out of first than Giants right now.

• chipower9 said, on July 24, 2018 at 9:00 am

Yep. But YankMees are 4 up in WC standings. Giants are 5 out.

• snarkk said, on July 24, 2018 at 9:09 am

As of now, SF has to jump over 5 teams just to get to WCII. Tall order…

31. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2018 at 9:09 am

I think Pittsburgh just passed us in the WC. This team is infuriating. At least it is better than last year, but then again, their successes make their failures all the more unbearable.

2010 was torture. this year is the tease. Will they or won’t they? Only Evan Longoria knows for sure.

32. snarkk said, on July 24, 2018 at 9:15 am

IMO they need to fast track Joey BART, and feed him all the defense and game management experience with a firehose. Looks like he can hit, so he should jump levels fast unless and until he hits a level that gives him hitting trouble. Don’t waste any time with this kid in the minors, and screw that super 2 arbitration Dosey Do…

33. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 24, 2018 at 9:34 am

snarkk, my guess is that if the club thinks Bart can promote quickly they’ll move Belt.

34. willedav said, on July 24, 2018 at 9:54 am

Oh agree SF is longshot but the thing about Yanks is their post season could be one game and done if they can’t catch the Sox. sure WC is a lock but doesn’t guarantee anything.

The Phils signed Carlos Santana in off season and are paying him more than Belt makes for next couple years. Belt is having much better season as a hitter at about 100 points higher OPS and is of course excellent 1b.

I bet Watson would draw lot of interest too. Dodgers must be sorry they didn’t re sign him.

35. Flavor said, on July 24, 2018 at 10:37 am

Sadly, a new thread has been started.