The Reason The Giants Have Absolutely No Chance This Year: And Sabean Knows It

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 2, 2018

The answer lies in the dreaded topic of *innings pitched*. I hate that topic. If I was the Baseball Czar the number of innings you throw (and pitches you pitch) should be determined by your competitive fire and how badly you want to finish a game you started. It’s too late, we can’t go back to the old days. These puss arms have been de-volved and devalued for the last 20 years by pitch counts that go all the way back to little league. Do you know that little league score boards now have pitch counts on them? Ludicrous. In 1980 when Palo Club was busy winning the city championship, we had TWO starting pitchers: Me and Steve Johnson. That’s it. We went 19-1 that year. There were certainly no pitch counts and I honestly don’t even remember relievers. The one game we lost Steve was sick and Kendall Simmons had to start… I’m still doing a slow burn about that.

Anyway, fast forward to THIS year. I already noted D-Rod’s inning numbers yesterday but here’s the recap:

2016: 132

2017: 143

2018: 116 and counting….

Now Andrew Suarez:

2016: 143

2017: 155

2018: 123

Finally, Chris Stratton:

2016: 156

2017: 138

2018: 109

I’m not gonna look at Bum or Holland, they’re vets and wouldn’t get monitored like these young guys. But even if we went on this *run* that Longo called for, even if we started winning a bushel of games because Sabes said “we started playing best the longest* and kept that going….We are still stuck with 3 guys, 60% of the starting rotation, who are going to get shutdown sometime in September.

How the hell would we be able to finish off the month and then storm October with these 3 guys icing their arms on the bench?

So right now, despite the nonsense the team may spew, I am effectively ending 2018 right now. We have no chance. It is over…..

1. Lurker John said, on August 2, 2018 at 9:34 pm

Slater getting it done. Gets his hits, takes his walks, nice approach.

2. zumiee said, on August 2, 2018 at 9:35 pm

The Giants showed speed this inning. Speed!

3. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 2, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Well, if there’s any one team in the NL that SF has “ownage”, AZ is a good one for that. Giants always LA close. Owning AZ (may it continue, I’m not jinxing it) the rest of the way might be the only way Giants make the post-season….

4. Bozo said, on August 2, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Big crooked number, nice inning.

• willedav said, on August 2, 2018 at 9:47 pm

should be able to avoid 9th inning stretch tonite.
      Always cracks me up to read that.

• Bozo said, on August 2, 2018 at 10:00 pm

I admit, some nights I get to a point where I’m watching the clock as much as I am watching the game. Those extras can really mess up my plans for the next day.

5. djloo27 said, on August 2, 2018 at 9:46 pm

I hope Panda and Cueto return to the dugout this year just for morale…

• willedav said, on August 2, 2018 at 10:38 pm

fast running out of non honkys. And you’re right they both are just good to have around.

6. djloo27 said, on August 2, 2018 at 10:01 pm

Blach might be the fastest working pitcher in baseball…

7. Bozo said, on August 2, 2018 at 10:07 pm

Leave the lights on, Loo.

Good game.

• zumiee said, on August 2, 2018 at 10:11 pm

8. xoot said, on August 2, 2018 at 10:17 pm

against all odds that game turned real good. Many encomiums — encomia? — fucking enthusiastic compliments due to the young guys. Here’s one way to look at it:

• zumiee said, on August 2, 2018 at 10:29 pm

Very cool! I hadn’t realized any of that.

9. mrsprtdude said, on August 2, 2018 at 11:32 pm

Had to jump on to say hi to Clint!

Re playoffs??? No teams are not flawed. The 2nd WC is our shot. Yes there a lot of teams in it, but none are without issues. West is done. LA wins it going away imo…With Manny, Dozier, and now Turner back the offense is just too good. But all the WC teams suck a little.

Here is my plan….Just when the kids are ready to get shut down this will be our mid Sept rotation..

Bum, Holland Smarj, Blach, Stratton, D-Rod Suarez. The kids have 40-45 IPs left. at 5 IP per start ave that’s 8-9 starts each. That takes the to mid Sept . We go to a 6 man rotation with the kids skipping starts.
    If we are still alive in late August we can trade for a starter to let the kids rest more. Gotta believe Craig!

10. chipower9 said, on August 2, 2018 at 11:49 pm

Just saw the box and read the wrap. Sounds like a helluva win! Odd to see an 8-1W, and then check the box and see Bum threw over 100 in five innings. Sounds like he had to navigate some tight spots. Gail and I saw the first inning while having dinner.

We.have both seen KebMo once, and and Taj a number of times, but these two were something else together! Great, solid band. Truly one of the best shows we have seen in some time. Damn!

Don’t want to jinx anything, but holy shit, our Gigantes have rattled-off four in a row. Damned near fell outta bed when I realized that. Humm Baby!

11. sandog said, on August 3, 2018 at 5:04 am

Nice win last night. I would make a lousy east coast SFG fan. Shut it down and went to sleep in the 8th.
    NYC Report-went to Natural History Museum yesterday. My first time there. Then met up with the son of a good college buddy who lives here for dinner. He was always a pretty shy and withdrawn kid when I was around him growing up, but man has he blossomed and we had a great Italian dinner and conversation at a place called Remi.
    Sarah and I then saw My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center. Dragged for me a little bit at times, but I hung in there. I do appreciate a good melody, even if it isnt a rock song, and some of those classic show tunes are great. Sarah loved it and thought Lincoln Center was awesome—-she recognized it from Moonstruck. The show was recommended to me by a great old dude I met in the morning. We talked baseball a little bit too. Said his favorite player as a kid was Andy Carey. He gave me a hard time for claiming to be a big baseball fan, but not knowing anything about Andy Carey, who I have now studied up on and learned is from Oakland and went to St Marys.
    Going to the Mets game tonight. Excited to see Citi Field. Jacob deGrom pitching.

• Flavor said, on August 3, 2018 at 6:53 am

great recap. I have no idea who Andy Carey is, either. Eat well on your trip. It’s important to find great restaurants when you’re on a New York vacation.

12. snarkk said, on August 3, 2018 at 6:13 am

Doing horse tour in Lexington Ky now. Just stopped at Seattle Slew’s grave. Atillendale farm. Money here..

• alleykat69 said, on August 3, 2018 at 6:20 am

Yeah the smell of money 💰 &horse manure in the air..Have a Buffalo Trace later Snarkk on me..

• snarkk said, on August 3, 2018 at 6:39 am

That’s a possibility Kat…

• snarkk said, on August 3, 2018 at 7:04 am

Just gave a mint to Diamanté. Filly in foal by Malibu Moon. Her grandpa on the Dam side: Alydar. Filly Journey On on in foal by California Chrome. Saw a couple others with Affirmed as grandpa on the dam side. Tour guide says they won’t be very good. Definitely smells like horseS and cash around here, this place now owned by some dude Larry Doyle…

• snarkk said, on August 3, 2018 at 7:10 am

Just petted Enhancing. Mama is Forestry. Sire American Pharaoh. Guide says he’ll bring $1.2 to $1.5 M at Keeneland next month. Sleek looking…