The Bigger Problem is the Same Problem

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 7, 2018

Tough loss and while that one is obviously on Will Smith I’m not sweating him for a second. He’s been our best reliever this year and a very reliable closer. I recognize that’s off a pretty small sample size. But look, we scored 1 run, these guys aren’t machines. Smith finally gave up a home run this year. Our offense FUCKING SUCKS. AGAIN! How is it possible to have a shit offense EVERY SINGLE YEAR!?!!??!?!

We don’t need to ever go out and buy another closer again. Develop them from within or get them young and give them a chance to succeed. It’s not like closer is top on our list these days, anyway. As usual, we need players WHO CAN HIT. The Giants have been burned by the money they threw at Benitez and then Melatonin. I’m calling it right now: We will never see them pay big bucks for a closer again. Nor should they.

Agree with James at the end of the last thread. Walks are important. Appreciated him adding “they only look like the pussy way out when you don’t have a good offense.” That’s actually one of the reasons I’ve been arguing against Belt on this team. He’s fine for another team. He’s wasted with us. As is anyone else coaxing walks and getting on base only to be stranded at first base by their those following who break the fellowship and make outs.

OPS has sort of become the most obvious thing to look at when considering your team’s offensive output. The other day I noted we have a better record than only 4 (shit) team in the NL: The Reds, the Mets, the Marlins and the Padres. Guess the only teams we out-OPS in the NL? The Mets, the Marlins and the Padres. Only the Reds are above us and they play in a bandbox so that’s understandable.

Finally, here is the list of teams at the bottom of total home runs. Shocker. The Reds, pathetically, are 10th:

Screenshot 2018-08-07 at 7.20.58 AM

We can’t hit. We can never hit.

1. gianthead said, on August 7, 2018 at 7:39 am

One more out just one more frickin out…I have DRod and Will Smith on my fantasy team so would-a should-a got an extra win and save….but still managed 2 others Ws and a save and an era around 1.23 and WHIP .77 to start the week off!!!

But sadly my offense with Posey as my starting Catcher as week as the real Giants right now:((((

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2018 at 9:23 am

if you want to win that shit why don’t you waive all your Giants lol?

• gianthead said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:11 pm

Boy there is some good advice…

2. gianthead said, on August 7, 2018 at 7:42 am

Sadly Belt is likely untradeable this off-season…and certainly waiving him now wont lead to anything happening…

3. chipower9 said, on August 7, 2018 at 7:48 am

I was one who said “add a closer to the laundry list” last night. Obviously a comment made in frustration, and just being pure pissed off. I agree…spending big bucks on a closer is usually throwing good money after bad.

What a fucking heart-wrenching loss! Damn, that one hurt.

I was sitting there watching the game with Gail. We have fun discussing the game, and I point out why they do something at a particular time, and how it translates to strategy, etc. So we’re cruising along enjoying a classic pitchers’ duel when Smith gives up the long ball. Gail immediately says wow…OK, I am off to bed to read.

I of course stick with the game. Afterwards, I drag my heartbroken ass off to bed, too. When I come into the bedroom, Gail says something to the effect “I get it now how you get so frustrated with the game sometimes. That was deveststing.” It was interesting for her to finally get it. Welcome to the life of a die in the wool Giants fan.

And while I was licking my wounds and getting ready for bed, I reminded myself to bask in the glory of 3 in 5. It’s good medicine for times like last night, as we all know that many of us questioned whether this team would ever win ONE title, let alone three.

Rub some dirt on that shit and wash it off. Today is a new day.

4. willedav said, on August 7, 2018 at 8:20 am

Kids looked overmatched vs. Morton, tho vets didn’t do much either. Stros are the perfect combo of great offense (tho slightly down this year) and pitching. In that yard of theirs they still give up fewest bombs, amazing stat.
    I like to watch the younger OFs but…they have 1 bomb btw them so far. D looks great and Slater is doing what he can at 1b. You have to have someone who can drive ball more often than Gorks as full time OF.

Btw saw great pic in Chron online today—Durant #35 in white/green Sonics uni, playing exhibition vs. GS in Baron Davis days. Story is Warriors scheduled to return back up there to play early Oct game against Kings in the Key Arena.

5. willedav said, on August 7, 2018 at 8:33 am

Really good thread Flav. Belt at .470 is Giants best slugger, followed by Longo and some others .450-ish. I don’t think Belt is the problem as much as what’s around him, familiar refrain.

I looked up AZ because some stats on TV over weekend blew me away. Golds Peralta and Pollock are all over .500 slugging and Golds is having an “off” year at the plate with awful start and record K totals iirc.
    These are guys with OPS in .900 range, something only Belt is within sniffing distance of.

Not to mention AZ has second best ERA in league. Meanwhile Giants are 12th in NL for runs scored OB Slugging and OPS in addition to what is posted for bombs. Tough combo to beat over 162 unless you get better hitters.

6. Lurker John said, on August 7, 2018 at 8:39 am

I’m not sure any team would’ve hit against Morton last night. He was lights out except for Craw’s homer. I have to agree about the offense, it’s been the Giants’ bugaboo for years now and they seem disinclined to do anything about it, outside of their usual dumpster-diving. I don’t expect that to change. As long as the dough keeps rolling in, we’ll be getting more of the same.

Good things from last night are that D-Rod continues to look like the real deal. 7 dominant innings and he always looks very comfortable out there, very professional. Also, I like the way Slater looks at first, also very comfortable. He’s turning himself into a very useful and versatile piece for this team. I believe he came up as a middle infielder, so he might be able to fill in there at times as well, not to mention that his outfield play looks markedly better to me this year.

I wasn’t disappointed at all last night. I kind of expected it. Not sure why, but I did. The Astros are the best team in baseball for a reason and the Giants are going nowhere this year. Being in that mindset, losses that used to devastate me are now just blips on the radar. Unless the changes I’ve outlined several times over the past weeks are made, this team will continue to be what it is this year; mediocre. My two bits worth.

• chipower9 said, on August 7, 2018 at 9:29 am

Great post, LJ. Agree on all counts.

We not only need Bochy to accept his gold watch and ride off into the baseball HOF sunset, but we need a new GM. The current leadership (and that’s a stretch), while probably viewed as successful from Charles Johnson and ownership’s perspective, just isn’t getting it done from a fan perspective, and that is frustrating as hell.

7. alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2018 at 9:39 am

If theirs any good news on this doomer Tuesday, the rooks are getting plenty of experience.We found 2 starters for the rotation that nobody new about in ST, Duggar’s a keeper along with Slater,Montona(sp?) another good nugget, their rebuilding for sure but their are some pieces in place going forward…

• Lurker John said, on August 7, 2018 at 9:42 am

Now we need to get Shaw up to the Show and give him some playing time.

8. alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2018 at 9:44 am

And why they can’t hit consistently it’s the freakin hitting coaches they “SUCK”!!!!?

• Lurker John said, on August 7, 2018 at 10:00 am

I think it’s just the lack of talent in the lineup.

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2018 at 10:24 am

at the mlb level hitting coaches don’t have a huge impact. Our hitters just aren’t very good.

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 7, 2018 at 10:27 am

Fresh arm on the way. lulz

10. chipower9 said, on August 7, 2018 at 10:40 am

Fucking leadership meeting 12-3 today. Just shoot me…

Bring us a W, FU…

1. Andrew McCutchen (R) RF
    2. Buster Posey (R) 1B
    3. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    4. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    5. Nick Hundley (R) C
    6. Austin Slater (R) LF
    7. Chase d’Arnaud (R) 2B
    8. Steven Duggar (L) CF
    9. Madison Bumgarner (R) P

BOTH THE KIDS GETTING MORE OF time…I like it!

11. chipower9 said, on August 7, 2018 at 10:44 am

Thanks for the link, Dirt. They should just shut Smardj down for forest of the year. He’s been worthless, so why push it…let him get healthy.

From that link, a positive note:

Bravo for Bart
    Joey Bart, the Giants’ first-round selection (second overall) in this year’s MLB Draft, was named the Northwest League Player of the Month for July while playing for San Francisco’s Class A Short-Season Salem-Keizer affiliate. Bart hit .333 and led the league in home runs (nine), RBIs (24), total bases (65), slugging percentage (.747) and OPS (1.126).

Pablo goes under the knife today…

12. willedav said, on August 7, 2018 at 10:47 am

Curious stat re: Giants crummy road record, down there with Pads Reds Marlins.

I looked at slugging and OPS and Craw and Belt both do better at home, cutch and Longo on the road.
    Most extreme is Longo—1 XBH every 7 ABs on road, 1 every 14 at home. Like Cutch he has hit majority of bombs 9 of 12 on the road.
    The other 2, the LHs have higher OPS by 100 points for Craw and 150 for Belt at home…I don’t get it. Each of them hit almost exactly as many bombs at home as on the road.
    Belt per Hank is supposed to be ready to play in a week, running and hitting now. That would be just in time for road trip to LA (Monday) 3 over next weekend in Cincy and 4 at Mets.

13. alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2018 at 10:55 am

On this day in Giants history Barry Bonds hit his 756th HR to break Hammerin Hank Aaron’s HR record..

14. snarkk said, on August 7, 2018 at 12:32 pm

I’m sitting here in a barber shop in Delaware, Ohio. Doing a college tour after the bourbon tour. This place is about 20 Miles N of Columbus out in the middle of nothing, Ohio Wesleyan college. The pure Midwest is so different than CA, it’s another world. I hear there may be a job opening over at Ohio State, so I’m sharpening my resume with defensive schemes and blitz packages, and prevarications…

• willedav said, on August 7, 2018 at 12:44 pm

yeah. friend of mine’s kid who grew up wearing shorts 24/7 in cupertino is about to graduate from Purdue. couple years ago he came on back on spring break and said of Indiana winter, “It’s so cold. ”

idk snarkk. you could probably get nice cut writing in the conduct guidelines for the contracts that limit any culpability to the schools when something goes wrong with guys they hired.

• gianthead said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:16 pm

SNARKK, you are in the middle of that special election…Kevin McCarthy needs you!!!

15. willedav said, on August 7, 2018 at 1:27 pm

Giants lost that game to the Nats. Bonds homered, rode off into the sunset and the barcalounger and the pen imploded and the Nats, who sucked then, came back and won.

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 7, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Slater with another single. Checking it at .300/.425/.357 over the last 70 at-bats. HR power would be nice but for the most part he makes a positive contribution when he’s in the LU. Too bad he didn’t get more run sooner.

17. alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2018 at 2:25 pm

Way to Bum!!
    Nice play to nail Reddich ass at home!!

18. Macdog said, on August 7, 2018 at 2:32 pm

Austin vs. Dallas matchup.

19. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2018 at 2:54 pm

Oh, Pence.. A foot outside. 1 strike that AB .

20. Macdog said, on August 7, 2018 at 2:54 pm

Pence with the pinch-out AB.

21. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Is that fricking box right?

22. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2018 at 2:56 pm

There’s your Giants replay. Why the fuck is Pence on this team right now?

23. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Put the ball in play?

Fail.

24. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:04 pm

That’s where you put the fucking 2 strike fast ball. Not right down the pipe.

25. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:07 pm

WOW. You got to be fucking kidding me.

26. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:08 pm

The guy is a dead red hitter. Let’s give him nothing but dead red. That’s where Hundley wanted it. How fucking stupid are both these guys?

• gianthead said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:12 pm

Son and I are saying the same…1-2 pitch. Hundley called for that sheit..

27. gianthead said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:10 pm

Gas Can Strickland 2.0…

28. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:11 pm

Spent the last 5 days in Seattle. They did their stadiums very well. Great city. insane amount of great beer.

Black is going to blow this game open.

29. Flavor said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Again, we’ve scored 1 run. Fuck this, our hitters are atrocious.

30. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:20 pm

And here’s our pantented 5 pitch inning.

31. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:36 pm

We got football on Thursday anyway.

32. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:38 pm

yeah, the Giants suck at hitting but Hundley and Black need to be questioned hard on pitch selection. It’s fucking ridiculous to give a fastball hitter 5 fastballs.

33. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:39 pm

Hanson will not see a strike.

34. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Why bunt when you can strike out?

35. Macdog said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:49 pm

No Altuve, Correa and Springer? No matter for the ‘Stros.

• Lurker John said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:50 pm

They could lose a few more guys than that and still be miles better than the Giants.

36. zumiee said, on August 7, 2018 at 3:56 pm

2018 Giants….same as it ever was….

37. alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Just watched the HR replay, that pitch by Ray was “Dead Black”

38. Lurker John said, on August 7, 2018 at 4:36 pm

The 49ers start spooling things up for real on Thursday. Next to the Warriors, they’re the best thing going in Bay Area sports. Super excited for this season.

• alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2018 at 4:53 pm

Yeah LJ,
      I’m pumped for some Football 🏈 Jimmy G style and some new toys he can work with!

39. Macdog said, on August 7, 2018 at 5:17 pm

40. Flavor said, on August 7, 2018 at 5:47 pm

two games. two runs scored. We’ve become the Tigers.

41. Flavor said, on August 7, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Diggity getting more active on twitter, follow him if you are there

• Bozo said, on August 7, 2018 at 6:57 pm

If I ever won the lottery and they asked me what I’d do with the money, I always thought I’d use Tug’s quote “Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women and Irish Whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”

42. zumiee said, on August 7, 2018 at 7:33 pm

A’s pitcher is nibbling vs. the Dodgers and walking guys. Recipe for disaster.

Say Something....

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s