With An Eye to Next Season

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 8, 2018

Did a slow burn last night listening to Bochy use the “they’ve got good pitching” argument to defend our pathetic output vs the Astros. You’re in the big leagues, buddy. Who cares how good their pitching is. How good is your hitting? Look in the mirror Boch and stop making excuses for our limp bats.

I’m going to try to stay positive though and even though I ended the season on August 2nd we can rank the players who have surprised us in a good way with an eye to next season.

#1: D-Rod. He’s obviously locked into this spot

#2:  This one is gonna be a tie between Morota and Will Smith. Both surprised me in a good way and both will be critical cogs next season.

#3: Suarez. With all the pub Beede and his idiot new bride got a guy like Suarez flew under the radar. He’s been getting hammered lately but I am hoping he’s just a little worn out and that he’ll take another step next year.

#4: Derek Holland. He’s been very reliable and flexible in terms of how we use him. Not sure where we’d be without him but we’d have several less wins I know that for sure.

#5: Gorkhead. I’ll put him in here just because his power surge came out of nowhere but this guy has been pretty lame since June and he shouldn’t take starts away from Slater who should be playing every day.

#6: Stratton (who sucks) but the surprise is that he’s still the team leader in wins (by 2 over Blach). That’s pathetic in its own right but it’s still a surprise worthy of making this list.

#7: Alen Hanson. Just because he came out of nowhere and he’s been the energy boost this team has lacked for literally years. I’d wave bye bye to Panik next season and let this guy play.

#8: Ray Black. He’s been a surprise for sure but I’m not counting on him going forward. This guy is going to get hurt again, probably soon, so we shouldn’t get our hopes up with him.

Who’d I miss? Any quibbles with my rankings?

I’ve always wondered what happened to this rad fur coat. Apparently it’s in the 49er museum. Here’s Jerry wearing it recently…

Screenshot 2018-08-08 at 10.35.03 AM

1. blade3colorado said, on August 8, 2018 at 7:35 am

Up until 2016, Bochy walked on water in my opinion . . . Now, he’s a dinosaur. Another dinosaur, Clint Hurdle, is far from being extinct. I just read this about his team, “From a 40-48 start, the Pirates have won 17 of 25 since — the best record in the NL in that timespan — as the Pirates try to play themselves into the thick of the postseason conversation.” My point being that Hurdle has evolved and doesn’t just “mail it in.”

Your list is spot on Flav. All of those guys were “no names” that elevated the season to half-assed watchable. Conversely, the players that were supposed to be cornerstones for the team, we’re MIA for the most part.

2. willedav said, on August 8, 2018 at 7:38 am

Slater and Duggar, for one reason or another, deserve to be in there maybe ahead of Gorks. And as you said deserve to play over him too.
    It’s important for SF (and for the players) to see what’s up with these 2 and figure out where they fit in the LU next year. Duggar especially–can he get on base enough to lead off or is he 7-8 guy, which SF already has plenty of.
    Same goes for Hanson and D’Arnaud. Are they any more than decent IF backups you can platoon with or not?

Lot of pleasant surprises from pitching staff; even with 2 Ls lately good outings from SPs.

• blade3colorado said, on August 8, 2018 at 7:47 am

Just my opinion Willie, but both of those guys are utility players. I think Duggar is a 6th round draft pick and Slater 8th round. They both have holes in their games.

The Giants need to upgrade the out field, albeit, by all means, give them every opportunity this season to prove that they belong (as you pointed out). Sheesh, they gave Ryder Jones upwards of 50-55 games last season, so yeah, play the kids. Same deal with Hanson. Personally, I think he is also just a reserve, but he does provide energy and Jesus Christ, he elevates our bench – which was non-existent last season.

3. unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2018 at 7:38 am

I’d throw Slater and Duggar on there for just not being Minaj and Pence. Slater’s batting .304 besides. They may not stick but they are better than the alternatives.

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2018 at 8:01 am

sure but I never saw Slater as a surprise. I vote two flaps up on any stud coming out of Stanford, one of the great baseball factories of our time. #sunkendiamond4life

• gianthead said, on August 8, 2018 at 8:25 am

Did I ever tell you my Slater story from Richmond. He came over to sign autographs, I said I was from SJ and he comments he played with SJ Giants after college. So I say: “Oh I went to SJSU, where did you play in college?”

His response in perfect Ivy League/Stanford snootiness😜: “Stanford!”

I should have punched him but he did sign my kids’ baseballs.

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2018 at 8:49 am

I trust you bowed and thanked him for his service when he was at The Farm.

4. willedav said, on August 8, 2018 at 7:58 am

I’d throw Hundley in there too. He’s won some games with his power and is capable back up. Nothing more than that but good guy to have around.

bochy is never going to say anything controversial for publication. Unlike here he isn’t going to call any player out in front of all the microphones. It’s who he is–anyone who pays much attention to what he says is going to be disappointed.
    He is given what he has by the GM–he didn’t trade for Jackson, he rarely plays Pence, he’s moved in the younger guys as mentioned above. It’s pretty plain to me that Giants roster is not near as talented as other teams in the division as well as other playoff contenders, especially given injuries to Belt Cueto etc.

Clint Hurdle, lol. His team was worse than SF for most of the season and then went on one nice winning streak. Doubt it has much to do with him. And if you gave him the Giants of 2018 they wouldn’t have any better record. This guy has just never ever impressed me. Pirates fans i’d guess still not too thrilled how he handled rotation before their last playoff game when Craw bombed them out of existence.

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2018 at 8:02 am

absolutely. Hundley has been a fantastic back up catcher and deserved to make that list, probably higher than #9

• blade3colorado said, on August 8, 2018 at 8:07 am

All managers are only going to be worth 1-3 games a year. Regardless of what you say Willie – what Hurdle had to work with (after ownership/GM dismantled the team) pales in comparison to what Boch was given. Moreover, most baseball analysts had the Giants pegged as a WC potential team . . . None had the Pirates even sniffing the postseason, especially in that tough division. We’ll just have to agree to disagree.

• Lurker John said, on August 8, 2018 at 12:52 pm

“All managers are only going to be worth 1-3 games a year.”

That’s pretty hard to prove one way or the other. Talent matters most, but I think a good manager is worth a lot more than 1-3 games. Bochy’s machinations in 2010 should be enough to establish that.

5. gianthead said, on August 8, 2018 at 8:31 am

DRod had proven he is legit starter so your #1 is dead on. Only seen Slater a couple times on tv and his plate discipline has surprised me. Nothing stops out in AA Richmond so I am surprised he has looked that smooth against mlb pitching. If he hits at this level, he sticks. Duggar has till the first half of next year to prove he has a bat. Otherwise Slater looks like he can cover CF..

6. alleykat69 said, on August 8, 2018 at 9:28 am

I’d give a crumb to D’Arnaud, kids scrappy has some pop(something like 3 bombs in his 139 AB’s 1 out of 13 AB’s better then a lot of our stiffs) and as a utility guy I hate to say it but probably has more upside then Specs🤓

• alleykat69 said, on August 8, 2018 at 9:28 am

39 AB’s

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2018 at 9:29 am

sure. He could round out the top 10. And you know what? Finding 10 guys on a major league roster who can regularly contribute, literally found money, is pretty good for a season.

• Lurker John said, on August 8, 2018 at 12:56 pm

D’Arnaud has played hard since he’s been with the Giants. I like him, but long term he’s going to play to the back of his baseball card.

7. alleykat69 said, on August 8, 2018 at 9:39 am

I’m gonna throw a prediction out there that Cutch will switch dugout when Pittsburgh comes in just like what happened with Glass Sanchez..

8. Bozo said, on August 8, 2018 at 12:15 pm

I think this is a pretty solid list and adding Hundley is a great addition to it. I’m not a big Gorkys fan so even though he surprised, if he isn’t around next year it wouldn’t bother me. Hanson’s speed doesn’t make up for his glove but damn he’s fun to watch on the bases and I’d like to see him around next year, maybe not as a starter, but god damn that dude can motor.

I doubt the Giants eat the last year of Boch’s contract unless they go into full rebuild mode (I don’t think they will) and to be honest I’m a little concerned who they’d replace him with. Since I don’t see them straying to far from the Giants fam, I keep thinking they’d go with a Dusty redux, or Bam Bam, or an ex player like Matheny, Williams or Brenly and none of those guys gets my juices going?

Although it’s been a frustrating year, I’m still watching and you’re right Flav, there were some surprises and highlights. I’ll say one thing about this team, they might not be all that good but I’ve never seen them quit. Can’t say that about last year’s team. So they’ve got that going for them.

9. unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2018 at 12:52 pm

Even the Giants wouldn’t go Brenly or Williams. I Always thought Decker was the heir apparent but he fell off the radar.

Will Clark would be fun. They’d never do it tho.. Maybe with the success of Dave Roberts, they’ll go with Randy Winn.

• Bozo said, on August 8, 2018 at 2:57 pm

Will Clark would be fun but Kevin Mitchell would be a fucking blast.

10. unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2018 at 1:05 pm

Come on, Clown. The season ain’t over. If they tank and he loses the team they could very well can his ass in September. I don’t see that really happening, but if it goes south I don.t see any qualms they’ll have replacing him once the season is over.

• Bozo said, on August 8, 2018 at 2:55 pm

I could be wrong but I just don’t see them doing anything with Boch that isn’t considered “mutual”. I see them wanting to push next year like the Braves did Bobby Cox on his way out.

11. unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2018 at 1:06 pm

They haven’t quit, but they haven’t hit either. It equals the same thing.

• Bozo said, on August 8, 2018 at 2:50 pm

I don’t agree with that Unca, unless you think they’re going through the motions with their at bats this year. Go back and look at the guys on the field at the end of last year, that team, as a whole, looked to me like they were calling it in. Just my take.

• unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2018 at 4:03 pm

I don’t know what it is, John, but these ABs in these games are just flat dumb. No idea of the situation, no trying to move runners, no trying to make contact with a guy at 3rd, no bunting against a shift, nothing. I’ll just take my swings and sit down.

I guess it’s more the aggravation of watching them flail so stupidly.

Like it’s ‘fuck the fundamentals.’ Bochy is basically saying we are going to play it like we have the ’27 Yankees lineup, when in fact they have the 1944 Toledo Mud Hens lineup.

It may not be quitting but it sure feels like they don’t give a shit.

12. djloo27 said, on August 8, 2018 at 2:00 pm

I’m for Whitey, big time, but I think Bam Bam is ahead of him. He barely missed out on the Yankee job.
    Can Slater and Duggar even combine for 20 homers playing full time?
    As far as Cutch, it almost seems too perfect that he waltzes into the Pirate locker room, but if he does, I maintain that’s a public surrender by the Giants. I don’t know shit about the Pirates. Do they even need him? They don’t throw money around just for fuzzy feelings…

13. chipower9 said, on August 8, 2018 at 2:21 pm

Good post and list, Flav. I agree with a few others that would add Duggar, Hundley, and Slater. If the qualification is surprising us, and with an eye to next season, I think all qualify.

I agree with Blade that the team needs to upgrade the OF past what we have seen, or can expect, from Duggar and Slater. But feel both warrant a look in ST next year.

I would definitely try to bring back both Hundley and Holland.

I am also with the Clown on Hanson. I don’t see him as a starter. I think he is an awesome super utility, and that is how I would use him next year.

I was in a damned meeting all afternoon, yesterday. During a break I saw Giants were up 1-0, but had a unsettling feeling about the game. Sure as shit, I get out of the meeting around 3:20 and see that our bullpen had given up another longballl. Frustrating as hell.

But another pleasant surprise (even though the team can’t hit its way out of a wet paper bag) is this team’s fight. We sure as hell didn’t see that last year. So while this team has been frustrating most of the time, there have been some damned good games in which they rallied for the W. No way that shit happens last year.

Is it football season, yet?

14. chipower9 said, on August 8, 2018 at 2:22 pm

One guy I think would be a potential good candidate to manage would be Terry Kennedy. Not sure what he is up to these days.

15. Macdog said, on August 8, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Excellent list and cool topic on another no-game Wednesday. Last week it was weird, now it’s welcome.

16. Stan Shell said, on August 8, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Like anybody give a shit what I think, but…..
    I came on here today to announced that I have given up on this year’s team and lo- -BF beat me to it six days ago.
    I agree many more than usual “finds” this year in the pitching. Not so much in agreement about the rest of the lineup, though. My main gripe this year is the same for most of the post BB era- -the Giants are made up of a bunch of “banjo hitters”. Posey, Panik, and the whole outfield have no respectable power. When the home run threat comes in the form of your SS and an often injured Belt you are not going to win shit with the loaded lineups in this division. To me the A’s looked far superior- -and it shows in the rankings.

Cutch and Longoria have worked OK but are both well past prime time. And, they are the power! Duggar and Slater look like more of the same slap hitters. I’d give D’Arnaud a shot and see if he has any consistent pop.

I would fire everyone who has had a hand in drafting and player development and hire someone in the A’s scouting dept. Time to blow this up and send Boch off into the sunset.

Take it EZ Chuck, Loo, Xoot and the rest of you from the old “Splash” days. I’ll check in for a baseball fix now and then. Hope I’m here for next season. Good to see you keep this going BF.

OSF

• djloo27 said, on August 8, 2018 at 3:47 pm

Good stuff, Seal and stay well.
      Love the old school “banjo hitters” expression.
      Hope we’re all here next season…

• unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2018 at 4:05 pm

Stay above that Mendoza line, Ol’ Seal Clubber . . . (channelling Twinnie)

• unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2018 at 4:15 pm

OSF, they just blew up the scouting department last year. They are now headed by ex-3-bagger David Bell. And Bart looks like the real deal. As of now.

Who knew Ellis Burks is the special assistant, scouting?

• xoot said, on August 8, 2018 at 11:52 pm

Hope things are good on the Oregon coast, Seal. I’m in Dublin taking the whiskey and writers tour. Things are good.

• blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2018 at 12:55 am

Good post!

17. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 8, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Decent take from Schulman. https://twitter.com/hankschulman/status/1027338807962554368?s=21

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 8, 2018 at 4:51 pm

Basically that the rebuild is underway and the club has had “THE best pithing staff in the NL over the past 2+ months”

If only they could hit.

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2018 at 5:47 pm

“the best pitching staff in the NL over the last 2+ months” is almost too hard to believe. Maybe that’s why it doesn’t get any pub at all around here.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 8, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Haha, yeah. I didn’t even bother looking that one up but I agree with his larger point about the rebuild being underway. As far as the club can rebuild at least.

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 8, 2018 at 6:06 pm

I’m not Bochy’s biggest fan but he’s managed pretty well this season considering they’ve had 2 of 3 expected pitchers out, inconsistent coverage at 1b, a suck hole at 2b and an outfield of smoke and mirrors. Bottom line with Bochy is that he’s here as long as Posey and Bumgarner stay. Having Bam Bam waiting in the wings is fine and I think he’ll be good when/if he takes over. Dude must have stuck around due to some sort of FO assurances.

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2018 at 6:18 pm

i don’t understand what qualifies BamBam for a manager job. Because he’s been around awhile? Lots of guys qualify then

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 8, 2018 at 6:41 pm

If I remember correctly he did well in the WBC and has been Bochy’s apprentice the past few years. That’s about all I base it on.

• alleykat69 said, on August 8, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Yeah even a guy like Wotus who will never get the gig.

19. alleykat69 said, on August 8, 2018 at 7:35 pm

You guys know the Giants lead the league in one category and it’s not positive,they have a league leading 25 blown saves!!
    I don’t know if it’s within the orq next year are find a freakin closer but that has to change!
    I’m giving the job to Monronta in the 9 th inning now if we ever get a lead again lol 😂

20. alleykat69 said, on August 8, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Still say dump those 2 headed idiot hitting coaches Schu&Powell!!
    I feel I’m the only Flapper getting on these 2POS dudes..
    Get a hitting coach that actually knew how to fucking hit in the bigs! They should go after Firey🔥guys like former players Chili 🌶 Davis Will Clark, are Barry Bonds (probably wouldn’t take it but doesn’t hurt to ask him)

• blade3colorado said, on August 8, 2018 at 7:51 pm

Down with what you said AK. I never understood the logic behind hiring some dude who had a “cup of coffee” in the bigs. I get hiring managers that were shit players, but a hitting coach is completely different.

21. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 8, 2018 at 7:53 pm

As we know, the front office, obviously with Bochy’s approval, overhauled the coaching staff in the off-season. We’ll never know what the plan is until it happens, but I’m guessing they did that to line up the succession to manager when Boch is gone… which probably will not be this off-season. So, one more year of the current manager and coaches and then see what happens. At least I’m hoping there’s a plan…..

22. willedav said, on August 8, 2018 at 8:06 pm

Even tho I was totally against him, Sandoval is pretty good story too. He’s won some games with his bat, played everywhere and hitting just under league average, big improvement over last year. And of course is basically a freebie.

Blade is right about Pirates, making much more noise than anyone would have thought going in. I think it’s great so many teams are still in contention, in every NL division. And face it if you can stay few games over .500 you are still in it. Hey I’m OK with it this year and looking forward to next.

going in consensus was the one guy that was gonna be key to the whole season for SF was…Cueto. And what few Ws he has will be his total for this year and next.

• blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2018 at 12:43 am

Thanks Willie . . . In fairness, my opinion/judgement toward Bochy and this team is clouded by anger. I am so pissed off that they’ve squandered what I perceived as a “sustainable” dynasty. Essentially, they only had to ensure that our minor league system was managed competently; and, that ownership/GM spent money responsibly. A Bill Walsh type GM was sorely needed for this clueless outfit.

Instead, these dumb fucks handed out long term contracts to has beens and gave our own players money beyond what they were worth. In short, I’ve seen drunken sailors spend money more responsibly on shore leave. Regarding the minor league system, they ignored it and it’s festered as a result. Hopefully, Bell can turn it around. Our situation is sad and will be for the next 3-5 seasons in my opinion. Our 3 championships are becoming a distant memory.

23. Flavor said, on August 8, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Fiers is completely befuddling the Dodgers tonight. First time I’ve watched him pitch, he is very good.

• willedav said, on August 8, 2018 at 8:25 pm

A’s just got 4 hits off OP to got on the board couple times.
      LA knocked out Manaea last night tho…couldn’t watch after that.
      Freaking bombs LA strikes again. Brewers hit 5 in their own yard today to smoke Pads. what is Giants one game high for bombs this year? Have they ever exceeded 2 in a game?

24. willedav said, on August 8, 2018 at 8:46 pm

Op is a little less sharp than normal but he’s still dominating. Grudging respect, he’s still very tough…reg season anyway. At least he ain’t beating the Giants tonite.
    Fun fact on A’s—counting both series with the Giants their road one at Rox and now playing LA they are 4-6 last 10 vs. NL.

25. zumiee said, on August 8, 2018 at 10:13 pm

Nicely done by the A’s.

26. sandog said, on August 9, 2018 at 9:14 am

How about an NYC story while we have some down time before tonight’s game?

The other day, Sarah and I went to the “Tracks” bar and grill under Penn Station that Loo really likes and I think others on here have visited. Sarah and I both had burgers—which we loved, but the guy and girl next to us got the “Raw Bar Sampler” or something like that. (I think Tracks is well known for their seafood/raw bar) The customer thought it was not up to the usual Tracks standards and called the manager over. They ended up having a long back and forth dialogue that seemed like a classic NYC deal. The manager apologized and said of course he wouldn’t be charged and asked if he could bring them anything else, but that wasn’t enough for the customer. First off, the customer really wanted the manager to try some of the food and give his opinion, but the manager refused to do that. Plus the customer kept saying how it wasn’t about getting an apology and his money back– that he was a long time customer who always thought their raw bar was outstanding and that something had gone wrong and he needed the manager to look into it. I think he felt like the manager was just kind of “handling” him and not taking his concerns seriously. They went back and forth for a while. Never raising their voices, but clearly irritated with one another. And the customer kept trying over and over to get the manager to eat a shrimp or something and the manager wouldn’t do it.
    Sarah and I were totally fascinated by the whole deal and had a long discussion afterwards analyzing it. She thought the customer was being overly difficult and I thought the manager maybe could have taken the guys concerns a little more seriously.
    Anyway, I loved the place and was glad we got to check it out.

• willedav said, on August 9, 2018 at 9:29 am

hey man if I have someone who is difficult I’m trying to get them out of there with something like a full refund even if they don’t deserve it, so others don’t notice it and take it wrong way. some customers you just don’t have what they want/can’t please them. an argument in front of other diners in your case is NOT a good thing for business.
      Suppose in this case mgr. thought food wasn’t that bad…what does he do then–go roust the kitchen and bring them to table? go low key and get them out of there is my go to move which fortunately happens very rarely even in upscale area I work in. And look further into it later when you are calmer and have more time.

funny thing about yelp or reviews too—a bad experience will draw much more flak. goes for word of mouth too.

• willedav said, on August 9, 2018 at 9:50 am

what I’m saying is the customer in this case will likely go online and complain the food was subpar, mgr. didn’t seem to care, kitchen/food prep and selection is going downhill and likely will remain spotty so buyer beware.
      whereas otherwise he might have enjoyed food and service 10 times and not done anything beyond leaving a nice tip. And he’ll also tell his friends, man I’ve liked it before but last time sucked and mgr wouldn’t listen to me, I’m done.

• wilcojoe said, on August 9, 2018 at 10:12 am

Maybe the manager is also the cook and he didn’t wash his hands after going to the bathroom. Like the Senfield episode with the apple pie. “Poppy is a little sloppy.”

• willedav said, on August 9, 2018 at 10:24 am

ha good one.
        Looking forward to college football. Even in Chron out here they had article on who Bama starts at QB. And previous ones on bigger role for Najee Harris from Antioch.

• wilcojoe said, on August 9, 2018 at 10:49 am

Yes, me too Willie. It can’t come soon enough!

27. willedav said, on August 9, 2018 at 9:57 am

As for Cutch going over to other side, I read a story about J Youngblood. He played day game in NYC for Expos and then got traded. His new team was in Philly and he wound up playing in night game in Philly the same day.

• willedav said, on August 9, 2018 at 11:09 am

Youngblood was playing CF for the Mets that day, in Wrigley Aug 4 1982. He got traded to the Expos and played RF that night for them in Philly.

28. alleykat69 said, on August 9, 2018 at 11:39 am

As I recall didn’t Canseco get traded while he was in the on deck circle for Ruben Sierra?

29. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Glasschez got traded to the Giants when the Pirates were playing the Giants, didn’t he? I seem to remember him walking from one clubhouse to the other after the game.

• willedav said, on August 9, 2018 at 12:53 pm

mm yeah but wasn’t there a health issue before he even got to play for Giants? Seem to remember Twin (and others) going off on him right away.
      harbinger of course of things to come.

30. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2018 at 12:55 pm

I think he was on the DL when he got here. Shoulder?

31. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2018 at 12:57 pm

Fun fact:

On May 30, 1922, the Cubs won the opening game of a day/night doubleheader against the Cardinals and one of their outfielders, Max Flack, went home to grab lunch (he lived three blocks from Wrigley). He returned to the Cubs clubhouse for the evening game to find out he’d been traded to the Cardinals for one of their outfielders, Cliff Heathcote. The players literally traded jerseys and played the evening game.