Riding Out the End

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 2, 2018

Syndegaard gets to wipe us out today. He’s a guy I’d pay to watch pitch. I’m not going to but if everything lined up I’d head up there and pay to watch him pitch.

I feel sorry for the season ticket holders. Do they feel obligated to go to the games? Are they giving the seats away? Or do they just go unused? I’ve never understood who has the time to go to that many games a year anyway.

The weather will be nice. But it’s nice everywhere around here. Lots of things to go do, watching these 2 teams sleepwalk their way to the end of a lazy Sunday afternoon is low on my to-do list.

1. Flavor said, on September 2, 2018 at 7:36 am

coveted…..

2. blade3colorado said, on September 2, 2018 at 7:57 am

Spot on Flav. In the month of August, this team SUCKED more than last year’s team for the same period. Wrap your mind around that fact for a few moments . . . Per an article I read, “When it comes to August, the Giants were 3.4 WAR worse this year. Of the 12 positional categories, they saw improvement at three: right field, where they just traded their right fielder, center field, where they just lost their center fielder, and third base, where their third baseman isn’t good.”

3. zumiee said, on September 2, 2018 at 8:28 am

Speaking of the end, one of my favorite Giants t-shirts for many many years finally gave out yesterday.

4. snarkk said, on September 2, 2018 at 10:18 am

Right now, I’m rooting for the laundry.
    Ownership needs to shake this sleepwalking S up in the offseason. Hard…

5. snarkk said, on September 2, 2018 at 11:03 am

What’s the over/under for Giants scoring today — 0.5 ?…

• Flavor said, on September 2, 2018 at 12:11 pm

i’d prolly take the over just because they are pretty good at scoring a run off of a wild pitch or if the SS throws the ball into the stands or some shit. And the Mets stink so maybe that happens.

6. Flavor said, on September 2, 2018 at 1:23 pm

our pitching has been really very good this year. All the injuries, the staff hasn’t gotten enough credit. Had we been able to hit we wouldn’t still be .500

• zumiee said, on September 2, 2018 at 1:44 pm

Because Smarj is injured.
      He’ll be back next season!

7. zumiee said, on September 2, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Of the 8 non-pitchers in the Giants starting lineup today, 3 have an OPS in the .600s, 4 are in the .700s, and Shaw is at .000 in his short time so far.

8. zumiee said, on September 2, 2018 at 2:44 pm

The Braves’ rookie Acuna hit his 7th lead-off HR. Sounds surreal to Giants fans.

• zumiee said, on September 2, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Acuna is back strongly in the Rookie of the Year conversation.

• zumiee said, on September 2, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Meaning 7th leading off the game, of course.
      A Ricky Henderson specialty.

9. zumiee said, on September 2, 2018 at 3:11 pm

I had the pretzel-bun pastrami thing from Togo’s. Pretty good. A bit pricey IMO at $7.95. Lots of meat, very filling. Seemed kind of greasy.
    With cheese, mustard, and pickle slices.

10. alleykat69 said, on September 2, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Yeah better things to do then watch the Pence finale tour!
    I’m heading up to Alpine Lake camping ⛺️, 🎣 fishing, hiking, but mostly eating excellent food,like oysters Rockefeller, prime rib, chicken fried steak for breakfast! yowzer!everyone brings(atleast 20 plus campers including myself)and a Full Bar of any alcohol you can imagine beer 🍺 mixers, sodas,water(have to hydrate sometime) yeah it’s the last hurrah for camping ⛺️ this year especially at 7,000ft!Plenty of folks will be getting their skink on!!!

• Flavor said, on September 2, 2018 at 3:22 pm

that’s awesome! Enjoy! I had planned to be up in Reno for the BBQ fest this weekend but with me going to Kentucky Downs next weekend I had to bail on the Reno trip. Boo. I have too much shit to do before I leave.

11. Flavor said, on September 2, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Well that’s a new one, a Syndy wipe out complete game. And I was right about the one run we scored (winning Snarkk’s O/U easily). It wasn’t quite as dumb as their SS throwing the ball into the stands but the pitcher hitting a sac fly is just about as bad.

12. snarkk said, on September 2, 2018 at 3:35 pm

It had to be 1 or a shutout today. You picked it, BF.
    Syndy could have no-hit this Sorry SF crew, it wasn’t far off of that.
    First ever complete game win for Syndy. Ever. Of course it was against the Giants.
    Hanson flashed some leather today, that was the highlight for the Gmen.
    To me he’s shown enough to make Panik expendable in the off season.
    What is that, Gyros have scored one run in the last 5 of 7 games or some S like that?
    Double Pathetic…

13. zumiee said, on September 2, 2018 at 3:51 pm

A’s score these things called “runs.”

14. Flavor said, on September 2, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Krueg’s getting pissed. KNBR ratings always decline when Giants are in the tank, no wonder….

15. zumiee said, on September 2, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Treinen’s ERA is at 0.94.

16. snarkk said, on September 2, 2018 at 4:03 pm

Piscotty has 2 HRs today for the A’s…

• Flavor said, on September 2, 2018 at 4:15 pm

of course he does. Stanford men can do anything.

17. snarkk said, on September 2, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Giants have a brutal schedule to end the season, except Pads games. And Pads play them tough.
    I’ll be surprised if SF wins 10 games this month.
    I’ll put the over/under for the month at 8 wins…

• Flavor said, on September 2, 2018 at 4:17 pm

i’m coming in with 6 wins this month. Cold. Nailed.

18. zumiee said, on September 2, 2018 at 4:15 pm

The Village Voice ceased publication this past week. I hadn’t read it since the early ’90s. It went online-only a year ago, which meant it was in very serious financial trouble.
    I also read this week that Pittsburgh now has no major daily newspaper of its own.

• zumiee said, on September 2, 2018 at 4:20 pm

My local paper has gotten very thin the last few years. It only prints boxscores for Giants and A’s games now. The other boxscores are at the newspaper website, but those can be gotten at mlb.com anyway.

• zumiee said, on September 2, 2018 at 4:21 pm

Looking at a newspaper page full of boxscores is one of the great joys for a baseball fan.

• zumiee said, on September 2, 2018 at 4:23 pm

USA Today still prints boxscores; but, of course, west coast night games don’t make it in.

• Flavor said, on September 2, 2018 at 4:53 pm

the only thing I don’t like about the online box scores is they don’t list attendance. I like knowing that #

19. Macdog said, on September 2, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Bye-bye D-Backs.

• Flavor said, on September 2, 2018 at 4:52 pm

brutal loss.

• zumiee said, on September 2, 2018 at 4:54 pm

Yep. They’re toast. Their clown-show bullpen blew it for the third game in a row.
      Their remaining schedule is a buzzsaw and they are done.
      Only the Rockies have a chance to keep LA from a 6th straight division title.

• Flavor said, on September 2, 2018 at 5:03 pm

i rather enjoy watching the Dodgers lose every year in the post season. By all means, let them win another division crown. It will be glorious in the end.

• YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on September 2, 2018 at 7:28 pm

That explains a question I had. A few days ago, the D-Backs were up a game, yet according to the computer data I read, they only had a 48% chance of winning the division or a wild card slot, compared to the Dodgers 71%..
        Although the Giants were at .500, 15 games up on the Padres, both teams were only given a 0.1%

20. Flavor said, on September 2, 2018 at 7:30 pm

6 shots fired right as Race 9 was ending at Del Mar today. I am SICK OF THIS SHIT. Fuck all these gun toting maniacs….

• sandog said, on September 2, 2018 at 10:23 pm

6 random gunshots in the neighborhood were the turf meets the surf? That’s bizarre. Not exactly an area riddled with crime. You sure they weren’t destroying a horse somewhere else on the premises? Maybe on the north side over by that sweet ass AM/PM on Jimmy Durante Blvd?

• Flavor said, on September 3, 2018 at 8:06 am

it was right outside the gates. They were having an Ice Cube concert after the races, there was a different crowd mingling outside…..

21. sandog said, on September 2, 2018 at 10:28 pm

Caught Lurie’s segment with Wotus today. I guess it was a replay from earlier in the week. Lurie does a great job coming up with questions for him. You can tell he puts some time into preparation. (My number one complaint with Kuip is that he doesn’t sound to me like he puts any time into preparing for a broadcast) Even random stuff like “How was Jeff Kent as a defender?” “Could JT make a good relay throw to the plate?”
    He tees it up for Wotus and it makes for good radio IMO.

22. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2018 at 1:04 am

Jesus Christ. If you can manage it, play Pink Floyd’s fiirst album all the way through. If you think you know them, you don’t. If you don’t know the early stuff. I’m on the sticks of Oregon and in the middle of nowhere blasting this and it is fucking. Crazy.

• Macdog said, on September 3, 2018 at 7:56 am

Yep, Piper and those Syd songs still sound otherworldly even 50-plus years later. Floyd drummer Nick Mason is touring Europe with a band he put together called Saucerful of Secrets that focuses entirely on the early, pre-Dark Side stuff. God, I hope he brings it to the States.