Let’s See The New Guys

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 4, 2018

Nice to see Bochy allowing Chris Shaw his one at bat yesterday. That was a lot of power he displayed, I hope it doesn’t scare Bochy away from starting him today. Shaw’s development will be fascinating to watch assuming he gets to play. He’s going to strike out a lot but so does Joey Gallo. Striking out in today’s game doesn’t preclude you from a place in the line up.

I didn’t gather the predictions from yesterday’s thread, I’ll just go back and look them over at the end of the month. Surprised nobody came in with 12. Highest I saw was 10 (MrSportsDude) and lowest, I think, was me at 6.

San Dawg’s Mo Burger. I have several issues with this burger.

#1: tomato is still no good and the fact that there are 2 of them just doubles the issues.

#2: too much cheese

#3 lettuce should be butter lettuce not romaine.

There are a couple more items to note but the first 3 have me doing such a slow burn I gotta chill for a bit….

Screenshot 2018-09-04 at 12.20.35 PM

1. snarkk said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:24 am

I would rather Shaw strike out and have a shot at blasting one, than Pence strike out at another waste slider with his other alternative the patented 6 hop dribbler to shortstop…

• Flavor said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:38 am

if he can get there, there’s nothing wrong at all with being a “Joey Gallo” type. I doubt he’s got 40 bombs a year in him but why not see if he does? Not like we’ve got anything else to do……

2. Flavor said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:25 am

thank God Harvey niggled his way to another QS yesterday. I don’t know if I could have handled it if not only did he confirm the winning bet for Diggity against our beloved Giants but that also they were the only one he QS’d for the rest of the season…..

3. sandog said, on September 4, 2018 at 9:10 am

Sorry to leave you guys hanging on the burger review from Mo’s in North Beach. Here ya go:
    Solid burger. Nice big patty with quality meat cooked on wood fired indoor grill. 2 full leaves of romaine on the burger—which works for me. 2 big tomato slices—–and not nearly as dangerous looking as the ones from AM/PM. I thought the bun was decent, pretty good. I was a little bummed no standard French’s mustard was available at our table—only Dijon and that Deli mustard with the seeds in it. Call me an Ugly American, but I like traditional plan yellow mustard on my burgers—along with ketchup of course. I would have also preferred sliced pickles over spears, but that’s nitpicking. Overall though, good burger and a cool place to hang out.

• Lurker John said, on September 4, 2018 at 10:28 am

French’s all the way for me too.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 4, 2018 at 11:17 am

With you on the condiments. Places that put out non-standard condiments, meaning other than Heinz, French’s, Best Foods are walking a thin line in my book and the food better make up for it. Especially if they put out Hunts its gtfo!

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 4, 2018 at 11:13 am

Light-tower power is nice and all but Shaw’s strikeout rate jumped to 34% in AAA this year which is more often than Jarrett Parker (who sucks) ever struck out in AAA. Just something to consider. Looks like Avelino is getting called up per some twitter handle known as Gigantes del Cibao. Gotta wonder how Joe Panik is sleeping these days.

• blade3colorado said, on September 4, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Same deal with Specs. I suspect he will be gone next season. Avelino is supposedly quite good defensively, but more importantly, he can hit bombs – something Specs can’t do. Kelby is a good Giant, but he’s expendable.

5. willedav said, on September 4, 2018 at 12:05 pm

Yeah Giants are younger and tad more athletic already, a way into a better future. Just don’t have the same angst as DoomPatrol I read so much of here. Twin used to rail at bloggers to settle down relax and enjoy the game to those he called 3 alarm brigade on baggs blog–it’s a long season and stuff will happen.
    giants pen ultimately blew a game where they scored 8 runs and hit 3 bombs. Nice comeback!
    dodgers pen imploded again last night and they lost to the Mets and their awesome SP.
    So did Card last night.
    Cubs pen did same. AZ pen blew 2 in a row to old man Kemp and LA. These are all good teams.

I think SF is in way better spot than this time last year. They went out and got couple RH hitters that didn’t work out, let them go and realize I’m sure theystill need to find couple more; DJ LeMahieu would be a nice start. the other teams at top of division are tough but Giants can beat them straight up as long as they aren’t in sherpaland.

So win as many games as you can—none of them are meaningless. And I’ll enjoy watching them do that; nothing topped those back to back Ws vs. LA and their fool mgr.

6. Flavor said, on September 4, 2018 at 12:19 pm

i’ll post a pic of Diggity’s burger from yesterday. I am still woefully disappointed with the tomato but maybe I’m just a tomato snob, who knows?

7. snarkk said, on September 4, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Tomatoes in most restaurants are going to be problematic except in high season. I’m all in for the Flap search for the best burger. Home or restaurant…

8. sandog said, on September 4, 2018 at 1:07 pm

Way too much cheese???? There’s no such thing as way too much cheese. Butter lettuce? I need some crisp and crunch from my lettuce and butter lettuce ain’t gonna get that done. Only thing worse is “spring greens” on a burger.
    …and those tom slices were pretty damn good.

9. snarkk said, on September 4, 2018 at 1:34 pm

IMO any mustard on a 🍔 and any ketchup on a 🌭 is an abomination unto man. Mustard belongs on a hot dog, not ketchup. These are fast food laws that cannot be violated. Anyone with me? …

• blade3colorado said, on September 4, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Agree, albeit, I will put mustard on my cheeseburger too. Also agree with dog – there are NO situations where there’s too much cheese and yes, I don’t want limp lettuce on my burger.

What about Polish sausage? They’re my go to meal at a ball game (Flappers at Yankees game can confirm this). Mustard and onions only. By the by, the Yankees know how to make a great Polish 🌭 sausage!

• djloo27 said, on September 4, 2018 at 3:19 pm

I’m with you Snarkk.
      As far as the burger above, the tomatoes look decent enough – the cheese kind of unappetizing.
      The words “butter lettuce” make me nauseous…

10. xoot said, on September 4, 2018 at 1:48 pm

All of the fruits and vegetables I’ve had at Mo’s have been very ripe and fresh, including the tomatoes. (The fruit they offer, in place of potatoes with breakfast, gets assembled in the cup according to some blueprint, with tasty blackberries and raspberries and blueberries on top.) And the burger beef is so juicy I never need ketchup or mustard.

It is a pleasant place for a hole in the wall diner. Glad you enjoyed it, SanDog.

• sandog said, on September 4, 2018 at 2:14 pm

Yeah, glad I checked it out. Took my son there with me and he really liked it as well. His meal included some home fries that I thought were outstanding.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 4, 2018 at 1:48 pm

Are those really tomatoes? I thought they were duros.

12. xoot said, on September 4, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Now I’m hungry for a late-lunch burger. Normally on a nice day like this I’d drive down to the Lighthouse, in East Oakland, and sit over the sailboats in the marina. Too much construction going on around there these days: tough to get to the place. Hmmm. Maybe the beer bar on College Ave., across from Oliveto.

• snarkk said, on September 4, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Is that what used to be the Chart House on the Estuary? I saw Mark McGwire in there years ago on a weekday night offseason in a booth with some stone fox brunette. Could have been his first wife, I dunno. I remember his guns were enormous…

• unca_chuck said, on September 4, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Triple Rock?

• xoot said, on September 4, 2018 at 4:15 pm

no the place I mean is formally known as Quinn’s Lighthouse. Pub upstairs is really a sports bar, but family friendly. You get bottomless bowls of peanuts and kids love to toss the cracked shells on the floor. Most of the food seems overpriced and mediocre to me, but the burgers and fries are fine, and the outside deck overlooking the water is a delightful place on a warm afternoon.

My burger today didn’t work out so well. Not bad, fries were ok too, but the lettuce was spring mix. Good spring mix, plenty of fresh spicy healthy arugula, but on a burger? Sandog, would you have protested? I didn’t, but I’ll bet they had some crispy lettuce somewhere in the kitchen. Ah well. Luckily I also ordered a big glass of Revision Triple IPA. Excellent. I guess I’ve had my carbs for the week.

• sandog said, on September 4, 2018 at 4:46 pm

I wouldn’t have said anything about the spring mix, but I wouldn’t have returned either.
        Where you guys at on shredded iceberg lettuce on burgers? I’m a fan myself.

13. zumiee said, on September 4, 2018 at 3:52 pm

I am extremely negative on ketchup, and not that big on mayonnaise either. So mustard is my go-to condiment. I like lots of different mustards.
    My first priority always when ordering a burger is to make sure there is no ketchup or mayo.

• xoot said, on September 4, 2018 at 4:22 pm

There’s a fancy little breakfast place in West Berkeley that serves a small cup of house-made ketchup with every meal. wtf? Why bother?

14. djloo27 said, on September 4, 2018 at 4:09 pm

1. Gregor Blanco (L) RF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    4. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Nick Hundley (R) C
    7. Chris Shaw (L) LF
    8. Gorkys Hernandez (R) CF
    9. Dereck Rodriguez (R) P

• djloo27 said, on September 4, 2018 at 4:11 pm

15. djloo27 said, on September 4, 2018 at 4:22 pm

How about that snappy inning from O’Krap yesterday?
    I thought he was gone forever.
    Had high hopes for him a couple of years ago…

16. xoot said, on September 4, 2018 at 4:30 pm

Schulman toyed with his twittersphere today, challenging everyone to guess which Giant has the highest WAR right now. Turns out Belt is second, with 2.4. D-Rod: 2.5.

17. Flavor said, on September 4, 2018 at 4:44 pm

fuck crispy lettuce. Romaine sucks. Butter lettuce all day long baby. #4lyfe

• djloo27 said, on September 4, 2018 at 5:01 pm

It’s always amusing when you get mad at food…

• Flavor said, on September 4, 2018 at 5:40 pm

man, when I saw the clip of that chick dipping her fucking chicken tender into her soda at the US Open this weekend….you don’t want to know. I went bezerk.

18. snarkk said, on September 4, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Bochy is intentionally putting Blanco in the LU now, leadoff no less, just to piss me off. I’m convinced.
    He can give all the BS explanations he wants for it (RHP oppo today, Slater is RHed, etc.), but Gorkys is RHed and he’s playing. Slater is 25, right? Healthy, right? Unless he is ill, injured or busy with a room full of escorts, I accept no explanation for him not playing every game until his hands bleed, or the season is done, whichever comes first…

• Flavor said, on September 4, 2018 at 7:02 pm

it’s just insane. Bochy seems to only know one way to manage and a lot of that is dependent on the production of his players. Seriously, if all he is good at is managing a team with adequate hitting, an all star bullpen and 5 stud starting pitchers just what kind of a HOF manager are we talking about here?

• zumiee said, on September 4, 2018 at 7:27 pm

It’s the reason San Diego eventually let him go. Bochy is Bochy. You get what you get. He did a lot of good stuff during the three championships. Maybe he’s the only manager who could have kept those teams steady and believing in themselves.
        On the other hand, he’s not great for rebuilding. He feels protective of old declining veterans.

19. zumiee said, on September 4, 2018 at 7:19 pm

Restaurants can’t buy garden-fresh tomatoes; they’ll spoil too quickly. They have to get tomatoes that are greener and can last longer.

20. zumiee said, on September 4, 2018 at 7:31 pm

Too much cheese is kind of a rampant thing in American food these days.

21. blade3colorado said, on September 4, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Hundley attempting a steal? Bad throw and they still get him. Hilarious.

22. blade3colorado said, on September 4, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Speaking of hilarious. Gorkys takes the team lead (tied) in bombs. From zero to 15???? Hahahaha.

23. Bozo said, on September 4, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Gorked outta there.

• blade3colorado said, on September 4, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Yeah, that was a no doubter.

• snarkk said, on September 4, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Save $350 million.
      Keep Gorks, forget Harper…

• Bozo said, on September 4, 2018 at 7:55 pm

I don’t want Harper either, but even at $500,000, I don’t want Gorkys. If they sign him and use him in a trade I’d be good with that.

24. zumiee said, on September 4, 2018 at 7:50 pm

We’ve said it before, D-Rod is the best Giants story this season.

• snarkk said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Agreed. He may be the staff Ace next year…

25. blade3colorado said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:06 pm

. . . and that’s your ball game folks. Pfffttt!

• snarkk said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:12 pm

When bases are loaded with one down at Coors, my go to guy would always be Blach…

26. djloo27 said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:15 pm

27. blade3colorado said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:21 pm

Sherpas Amy is fat.

• blade3colorado said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:22 pm

I can’t stand jiggly arms.

28. blade3colorado said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Belt and Crawford – both were hitting over .300 earlier in the season. Now? Both at .258 and .259, respectively.

What happened?

• Macdog said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Regression to the mean?

• blade3colorado said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:44 pm

lol

• zumiee said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Our awesome homegrown infield got old quick.

• blade3colorado said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:45 pm

Ironically, no one is talking about trading them . . . only Panik, who isn’t hitting much worse than both of them.

• djloo27 said, on September 4, 2018 at 9:14 pm

It’s the contract, I’m sure…

29. blade3colorado said, on September 4, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Not certain I heard this correctly – Rockies have taken the last 17 of 19 from the Giants at Coors. That can’t be correct????

• snarkk said, on September 4, 2018 at 10:28 pm

Yep, Giants playing the Rox at Coors is almost a gimme win to the Rox…

30. djloo27 said, on September 4, 2018 at 9:13 pm

I somehow got a hold of a 6 pack of Coors in 1976 and thought it was the best thing ever.
    You couldn’t get it in NY back then. I don’t know why…

• xoot said, on September 4, 2018 at 9:27 pm

I remember hitchhiking through Tennessee around then and one guy who gave me a ride asked about Coors. Yeah, we have Coors in California. And the good-looking women all stopped wearing bras.

31. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 4, 2018 at 9:35 pm

That old original Coors did indeed taste nice at the time. Toured the Coors brewery in Golden, CO around mid-’70s and thought that the 2 glasses they poured right from their taps at the end of the tour was the coldest freshest crispest beer I’d ever tasted. Haven’t had a Coors in many years now, but it never tasted as good as when they made it in limited production, IMO.