Perfect(O) September

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 10, 2018

The quest for perfection continues today vs Atlanta. I expect a low scoring, well pitched game that will end with another loss. I’ll say the Braves win 3-1. If you could adjust your September prediction what would it be now? I can’t believe 6 is now a pie in the sky number but it is.

1. xoot said, on September 10, 2018 at 11:26 am

6 sounds possible. On the other hand, if the final total is even worse than that it’ll be one helluva spectacle. Our vets suck and our farm system sucks (outside of D-Rod, who came gratis from another farm system). The September record will demonstrate those facts very clearly. Spin that, Larry Baer.

• xoot said, on September 10, 2018 at 11:46 am

Moronta came out of our system too (signed around age 17 in 2010, DR). So far he’s been good, of course. But what about our Vanderbilt boy? Other teams seem to be able to pick good pitchers from that program. Not the Giants . . . .

• zumiee said, on September 10, 2018 at 11:57 am

Yes, it’s galling that the Dodgers got Buehler from Vanderbilt while the Giants were picking somebody else. Yes, Buehler ended up getting TJ surgery before making it to the majors, but still. Why do the Dodgers keep hitting time after time on their picks lately and we’re mostly missing, other than Bart?
        The Giants used to draft well, and then something happened for about the last 8 years. The curse of Gary Brown, I guess, if I actually believed in curses, which I don’t.

• sandog said, on September 10, 2018 at 12:10 pm

The Giants traded the guy they took before Buehler for Will Smith, so that is who we have to compare to Buehler. Smith has been nice this year, but I’d rather have Buehler. Totally agree with the frustration of seeing Dodgers continually hitting on draft picks and dumpster dives while we struggle. Drives me crazy too.

• xoot said, on September 10, 2018 at 12:45 pm

David Price and Sonny Gray are the other recent Vanderbilt standouts, I suppose. Both faltered, in different ways, after great early seasons with their original teams. But our Vandy boy can’t even get out of Sacramento.

2. unca_chuck said, on September 10, 2018 at 12:14 pm

For all the Dodger success and out failure, we are still ahead 3-0 in world series victories for the past 30 years. And we look dreg-worthy for the next few years, but as long as the Dogs keep flailing, hey, rebuild away.

3. alleykat69 said, on September 10, 2018 at 1:48 pm

Hey we did have the “Pride of Fullerton State”
    Aaron Rowand&Gary Brown ferchrissakes..

4. djloo27 said, on September 10, 2018 at 2:29 pm

When I had my famous meeting with Magowan at Shea in 2008, he did not sound like a man who thought his team was a little over 2 years from a WS title – let alone 3 in 5. He seemed as hopeless as any of us…

• xoot said, on September 10, 2018 at 2:53 pm

He was getting fired right about then also have you ever met his daughter or his ex wife? All the money in the world can’t fix that shit

• Lurker John said, on September 10, 2018 at 5:51 pm

lol

• snarkk said, on September 10, 2018 at 2:59 pm

I would like to know how detailed the Baer involvement is in baseball decisions. I’m convinced he thinks running this organization is not much unlike running an amusement park. Also, that despite repeated PR to the contrary, winning championships is not the lodestar mission statement …

• unca_chuck said, on September 10, 2018 at 3:43 pm

I thought Magowan was replaced by Duke Neukom after the first world series, but I could be misremembering that. He was at the parade, I’m sure of that.

• xoot said, on September 10, 2018 at 4:37 pm

no, Neukom took over in 2008 and he was completely in charge by 2009. That’s when “The Giants Way” got distributed. And he shot up to Washington to appear with Lincecum in the pot-bust hearing.

5. djloo27 said, on September 10, 2018 at 4:13 pm

Darnold throws a pick six on his first snap! LOL!!!

• Flavor said, on September 10, 2018 at 4:59 pm

i never understood why he got picked so high. He was horrible last season

• Lurker John said, on September 10, 2018 at 5:53 pm

He’s been pretty damn good since that pick. The kid has a lot of physical talent. That’s why he went so high. We’ll see where he ends up.

6. djloo27 said, on September 10, 2018 at 4:34 pm

This woman play by play announcer on ESPN is as bad as it gets.
    WTF are they trying to prove? Her voice is just awful.
    Why not get some men to do tampon commercials?

• Lurker John said, on September 10, 2018 at 5:53 pm

7. blade3colorado said, on September 10, 2018 at 4:45 pm

Glad to see the Reds are equal opportunity spoilers . . . Reds up 5-1 over the Bums in the 3rd.

8. sandog said, on September 10, 2018 at 5:07 pm

I actually agree with Snarkk about Baer treating the team like an amusement park. I do think he is more concerned about ATT being “the place to be” rather than going through the steps and time to build a consistent winner. That’s why I think the Giants will go full out after Harper. I don’t think they want the PR of being able to tell fans they tried to get him. I think they want to do whatever it takes to actually sign him and hope he provides a quick fix. And even if he doesn’t, create enough buzz to keep ticket sales humming and TV’s and radios tuned in.
    I don’t love that plan myself, but I’ll jump on board if they go that direction. My plan, as I have said many times, would be to make no trades, sign Bum to a thrifty long term deal, and add lower level cheap free agents. All the while, hoping to hell that Bell gets our scouting department in order and we can pick and develop some studs to be ready in 3-4 years when all of this dead money comes off the books.

• Flavor said, on September 10, 2018 at 5:29 pm

Harper would be the absolute worst thing they could do. I’m not worried about it, he would never come here. The last thing we need is to get another 10 years behind a budget, give that guy 200 mil and watch him get walked twice a game and hit into the shift the other times…..

• djloo27 said, on September 10, 2018 at 6:09 pm

• Flavor said, on September 10, 2018 at 6:24 pm

and he’s got guys in front of his and behind him that can protect him a little. I’m telling you, Harper would be a disaster if all we did was add him to our shit line up. More must be done.

9. Bozo said, on September 10, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Well fuck me. Go up to the mountains for a bit, enjoy some drink, food, the Chihuly exhibit at the Biltmore and just a change of scenery (by the way, Asheville is a pretty cool town). Come back to a string of Giants losses and a cat 4 (+?) headed my way.
    Started doing the normal prep routine, which I’ve come to believe will kill me before the actual tropical event, but right now I’m not so sure. We have a place in DC and or Charlotte NC, that we can bug out to with the animals and we are considering it. I have never evacuated before and as part of our local VFD I’m reluctant to do so but Florence is looking pretty fucked up.
    But, what is worse than Florence? I have the Dead’s “Ripple” stuck in my head, I know some of you thought I’d go with the Clash “Should I Stay or Should I Go”, nope, it’s Ripple. No offense to anyone, but I haven’t had a Dead song stuck in my head for a long, long time.
    Oh, and I’m such an asshole that now it’ll be stuck in your heads, y’all stay safe out there.

• djloo27 said, on September 10, 2018 at 6:20 pm

Hang in there, Bozo – you’re not alone…

• Flavor said, on September 10, 2018 at 6:22 pm

great tune. And if it were me, I’d bug out. Just my two cents.

• xoot said, on September 10, 2018 at 6:32 pm

You’ll make the right decision. Good luck. (And that’s a good song, for a Dead song. I’m sure John Hiatt’s Feels like Rain would be a bit too sentimental.)

10. Flavor said, on September 10, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Bozo’s post got me into a text argument with a buddy of mine who is a huge deadhead. I put Ripple in my top 5 dead songs of all time and he thinks I’ve lost my mind. But I stand by that ranking

11. sandog said, on September 10, 2018 at 7:00 pm

I was at a bar a couple of weeks ago in Ocean Beach (San Diego’s Ocean Beach) and got into a discussion about the Dead with a guy in there. I was asking him if they actually have any great songs or if being a Dead fan is all about the vibe and lifestyle they represent. I told him that I think Friend of the Devil is a very good song and to name me two more really good tunes I could check out. I wish I could remember what songs he said, but one of them might have been Ripple. I want to say the other had the name Margarita in it.
    I listened to the Ripple that Bozo posted above from start to finish and I gotta say it sounds like a cool tune.

I actually think the female announcer isn’t too bad and I’m very picky about my announcers.

• Macdog said, on September 10, 2018 at 7:05 pm

Sugar Magnolia?

• sandog said, on September 10, 2018 at 7:08 pm

That must be it.

• Flavor said, on September 10, 2018 at 7:59 pm

also in my top 5

• xoot said, on September 10, 2018 at 7:21 pm

I still like Goin to Hell in a Bucket. Really the only Dead song I do like.

12. Macdog said, on September 10, 2018 at 7:06 pm

It’s a final in Cincy, Bums lose 10-6.

• snarkk said, on September 10, 2018 at 7:29 pm

If the Giants had ANY kind of an offense, they’d still be in this thing…

• djloo27 said, on September 10, 2018 at 8:08 pm

13. blade3colorado said, on September 10, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Bogus BS stat regarding Atlanta home game bombs stated by K and K . . . The reality is that they have hit 90 on the road and only 70 at home.

• blade3colorado said, on September 10, 2018 at 7:24 pm

My bad . . . It’s actually a worse disparity – 94 on the road and 70 at home.

14. xoot said, on September 10, 2018 at 7:24 pm

nothing like a first down over the dirt around 2B. My lard the E Coli is a horrible place for any sort of game now.

15. snarkk said, on September 10, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Did the Dead ever do Annie Green Springs?
    And yes, I know that question is open to various interpretations…

• djloo27 said, on September 10, 2018 at 8:26 pm

16. xoot said, on September 10, 2018 at 8:48 pm

Pence is a shitty hunter

17. zumiee said, on September 10, 2018 at 9:03 pm

Horrible play by Gorkys. Gift run.

• zumiee said, on September 10, 2018 at 9:05 pm

That’s what bad teams do, they play like crap.

18. zumiee said, on September 10, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Pence’s OPS is .546.

• djloo27 said, on September 10, 2018 at 9:20 pm

I wonder if Pence retires or tries to latch on somewhere next season.
      Maybe go to Spring Training as a non roster invitee…

• zumiee said, on September 10, 2018 at 9:34 pm

I’m sure he wants to keep playing, but he would be a long-shot to earn a spot for somebody. But he’ll try.

19. blade3colorado said, on September 10, 2018 at 9:16 pm

Pence with his patented dribbler to short. Yawn . . . Entire team is a sleeping pill.

20. zumiee said, on September 10, 2018 at 9:21 pm

I must acknowledge the Dodger loss.

21. zumiee said, on September 10, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Strick is throwing his fine no-movement fastball mixed in with his no-movement off-speed pitch.

• blade3colorado said, on September 10, 2018 at 9:40 pm

Sort of like his brain – no movement.

• xoot said, on September 10, 2018 at 9:42 pm

Maybe he’ll punch a wall in anger again

22. blade3colorado said, on September 10, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Giants getting schooled.

23. xoot said, on September 10, 2018 at 9:39 pm

A suicide squeeze, but against stricknine and the 2018 Giants. So maybe not so exciting. But still it’s been a while since I’ve seen that move

24. blade3colorado said, on September 10, 2018 at 9:45 pm

Braves starter Newcomb allowed 21 runs in 23.2 innings over his past five outings . . . San Francisco hitters was the cure he needed.

25. zumiee said, on September 10, 2018 at 10:14 pm

The Giants are 4 wins better than last year at the moment. I had that wrong the other day.

26. snarkk said, on September 10, 2018 at 11:05 pm

I did not listen to the game tonight.
    What, Giatns scored only one run and lost? Shocker…