Where We You?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 11, 2018

17 years ago…..I was starting my first day selling real estate at Alain Pinel in Menlo Park. It was actually the first office job I’d ever had. If it hadn’t been my first day I wouldn’t have gone in. On the west coast all of this started unfolding very early. I was getting ready with the tv on in the background watching the horror unfold. When I got into the office it was mostly empty. It was very quiet, the people that were there were in a daze. Typical lame real estate agents, they seemed more worried about how this would affect the market than anything else. I stayed for a quick staff meeting and left to go home and watch tv. Back then that was all we really had to access news.

Like most everyone else not in NY I just felt helpless and sad. I’m guessing you New Yorkers had a different experience. Please share.

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:59 am

I was just waking up when my gf (now wife) told me to come see the TV and like everyone else we watched the whole thing unfold. We were living in downtown Long Beach near the convention center and I was still close with some people in the city offices from having worked for the Mayor. Talking to them, there was some initial fear that the port of L.A./Long Beach or convention center might also be targeted and the area around the city center was really tense. I can’t remember why but I went to work, it was an inside sales gig and the bosses expected everyone to keep making calls despite the tragedy and air traffic/parcel services being at a complete halt. It was a total joke-after briefly arguing the stupidity of it all I walked out of the job and never came back.

2. unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2018 at 9:08 am

Got s phone call from a friend to tun on the TV just in time to see the 2nd plane hit. It was surreal.After watching the news for about an hour completely freaked out, I drove to work in Mountain View right next to Moffet Field and will never forget seeing a jumbo jet being escorted by 2 F-16s flying really low over the Bay.

Everyone in the office was watching whatever TVs were available and crowded around them. The company I worked for then, VeriSign, had an office in tower 2 somewhere around the 60th floor (8 people), so some people were trying to get a hold of them. After a couple hours, we found out they all had gotten out safe. We all went home to just try and grasp what was going on.

I used to eat my lunches out in the parking lot for the Shoreline Pavillion and watch the planes fly in and out of Moffet. It wasn’t a lot, but it was so bizarre to see completely empty skies for the next 3 weeks, or whatever it was.

3. sandog said, on September 11, 2018 at 11:08 am

9/11 brings back some bad memories for me. My marriage at the time was a mess. I was kicked out of the house, but didn’t want friends to know my marriage was falling apart, so I was staying in a hotel. I was asleep in bed when I heard yelling out in the corridor. It scared the hell out of me and I thought maybe there was a fire or something like that. I stuck my head out of my door and a lady yelled to me something about the world ending and that the World Trade Center had been bombed. At the time, the World Trade Center buildings weren’t something I had ever visited or paid much attention to. In my sleepy state, I actually assumed she was referring to a building over in Europe somewhere. I kind of shrugged thinking she was being overly dramatic and got ready for work without even turning on the TV. Then I turned on the radio on the way to work and found out what exactly had happened on our soil.

4. gianthead said, on September 11, 2018 at 11:32 am

Hey I was getting ready as well that terrible morning…of course that was around 8:50 and I was driving into DC few minutes later on the phone with my secretary scanning the skies and saying DC is next. As I parked 10 min later reports started to hit the radio the Pentagon was just hit.

I drove back across the Potomac to see smoke billowing from the Pentagon. We had a scheduled client pitch at 11 am so I had to drive back in. As I parked, news of the first tower falling was being reported. I told the first person on the street the first World Trade Center building just collapsed, remember he was a black gentleman and he was just dumbfounded the building had collapsed and just stood there.

I ran back into my office to confirm the meeting would be cancelled. Everyone told me to calm down and I said I am calm but in about 5 minutes the city was going to shutdown.

So as I got back into my car, all the downtown buildings on K Steeet were emptying out. First words out of the radio was that there was still an unaccounted for plane in the skies and likely heading to DC. Also there were reports of a car bombing at the state department, which the back of state is the shortcut out of town.

I am at red light a block from State and I decided to just run the light and I was literally the only car crossing the Potomac. We did not know at that moment one of the young partners at the Firm was on the plane that crashed into the Pentagon. Most everyone I knew who did not immediately get out of town was stuck for 8 hours or more. Many deciding to just walk across bridges into Virginia.

5. sfsarge said, on September 11, 2018 at 11:34 am

Geez, my story is similar to Sandawg, kinda. I was going through a divorce with my wife and living with my step dad. I had stayed up until about 1 or 2 in the morning drinking a 40 of olde English and smoking some sticky icky. My alarm woke me up with the TV still on around 7 and in my hungover haze I looked st the TV and was trying to figure out what kind of crazy movie they were advertising and why the commercial was still on. Then I got up and washed my face and came back into the room and they kept showing the planes crashing into the buildings. After I saw Dan Rather’s face, I turned up the volume and heard what was going on. It was so surreal, I just remember being numb and in shock. But I also had to go to work (don’t know why I worked in Concord) I jumped on my razor scooter from our apartment in the western addition and pushed my way down to the civic center Bart station past city hall and the SF EMS dispatch center which were both surrounded by police cars and guys with big guns. When I finally made it in to the train, people were scared and we all talked like we were old friends. All the while I’m numb to everything, because I was feeling so slow from the previous night. So I didn’t get the full impact of the gravity of the situation until the next day.

6. Flavor said, on September 11, 2018 at 11:50 am

You guys are sharing some great stories I hope more do the same

7. zumiee said, on September 11, 2018 at 12:02 pm

I remember Giuliani being a big hero that day, rallying the city; but wow has his star fallen. It turns out that was the high point for him, and all downhill from there.
    Singer/songwriter Elvis Perkins, not famous but very talented, lost his mother in one of the planes. His father was the actor Anthony Perkins.
    There was a “before 9/11” and “after 9/11.” In the late 1990s, on a visit to Berkeley, I walked right into the football stadium and walked around on the grass field. Just left open for the public. Probably no way that’s left open anymore like that. So much changed.
    The terrorists didn’t even break the law by bringing small knives and boxcutters on the planes. Those were allowed on planes in those days! Seems crazily naive now. “In those days.” Things really changed after that. Afghanistan and Iraq, and the growing polarization of politics. Color-coded terror alerts that were dropped right after Bush won re-election in 2004.
    I remember new levels of sadness unfolding over the weeks and months after 9/11. It’s the defining event of a generation.

8. zumiee said, on September 11, 2018 at 12:06 pm

On that morning, my sister called from the East Coast, and it was very early for us out here in California. She kept saying saying turn on the TV. I didn’t really understand what I was seeing. I was all disoriented. It took awhile to finally lock in on what was happening.

9. unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Late to the Dead discussion but Box of Rain and Estimated Prophet are 2 more great songs.

10. snarkk said, on September 11, 2018 at 1:36 pm

9/11 aftermath in sports is so visible now. The DOD paid military pomp and circumstance we see regularly now at pro sports events is major one. I think this anthem thing with the NFL also has lower voltage without 9/11. Before 9/11 there was no such term as “the Homeland” for our country. Now it’s moving towards some sort of IMHO scary equivalent of “das Vaterland” and the implications of that societal mindset…

11. mrsprtdude said, on September 11, 2018 at 1:54 pm

A sad day for many reasons, but one i didn’t know at the time…. I’m never home sick ( maybe 5 days in 30 years post college). I was that day. I was watching tv when all the channels broke in for live NY coverage. I saw the 2nd plane hit. Sickening. I wanted to talk to someone, and everyone I knew (including my wife) was at work. I called my mom. My dad was an airforce pilot who dropped supplies into west berlin when the wall went up, and my mom an military wife. They were stationed in Europe in the late 50 when scary shit was happening there. I mention that because when i told my mom that we were under attack, that trade center towers hit, pentagon hit, and rumors of planes going to the White House. She said “Oh my god” in a way you might if you heard a loved one had died suddenly and you just heard. It made me instantly alert and aware and profoundly sad in a way I wasn’t already. Turns out my mom comforted many wives who lost husbands in airforce crashes more than a few times. We talked and just listened to the tv together for a few hours even though we were 400 miles apart.
    She lived in the bay area still while my family in socal. She passed 6 months later. I saw her and talked to he many times in the middle, but always the quick calls you do with people who live far away. X-mas crazy with little kids, life work etc. I miss her still, and in a weird way the only positive thing from it all was sharing profound moments with my mom for the last time….

12. unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2018 at 2:21 pm

The 7th was the 10 year anniversary of my mom’s passing. Miss her all the time.

13. Lurker John said, on September 11, 2018 at 4:57 pm

BF, thank you for posting the tribute.

• Flavor said, on September 11, 2018 at 5:09 pm

thanks. It’s important to remember what we were doing that day, what we were feeling. The world has changed and we were there before and after this. We need to never forget how we felt that day.

• Lurker John said, on September 11, 2018 at 5:12 pm

Yeah. That day is seared in my brain forever.

14. xoot said, on September 11, 2018 at 5:41 pm

I remember waking up happy that morning. The weather was great. Our family was going to have a fun time that evening celebrating my younger son’s fourth birthday. I listened to the radio while I got ready for work. Of course, everything changed, completely. My wife and I both bagged work and, after dropping the kids at school, drove up to the Claremont Hotel to seek some sort of escape in distance, in overview. The fancy restaurant was empty, the staff stunned. Sunlight on the bay was gorgeous. There was no escape. When we walked back to the car my cellphone rang. Some insurance company representative in a Walnut Creek office wanted to argue with me about attorney fees. His company was going to agree to defend our Napa Valley winery client in litigation, but no way were they going to pay 100% of our exorbitant hourly rates, etc. etc. You petty small-minded bean-counting cocksucker, I thought. I’ll have to call you back, I said. We drove down the hill to see if the school had decided to cancel classes. My little son understood how profoundly his birthday had been overshadowed. It seemed like everyone except that Walnut Creek insurance guy understood that everything had changed.

15. snarkk said, on September 11, 2018 at 5:55 pm

I remember hearing of the WTC attacks on the kitchen radio. Turned on the TV, saw the buildings come down. More news of Pentagon attack. I think I heard about the Pennsylvania plane crash while I was driving to Sunnyvale, then where I worked. By then, very few were at work, or had been, and already left. I stayed a bit, then left, too. I remember wondering who was behind this, and whether more attacks would occur later that day in the MidWest or West or in coming days — and what targets. Like the Golden Gate or TransAm tower — symbolic targets for terrorists? More radio told me that the gov’t was grounding all airplane flights across the US, and that fighters were intercepting and escorting until landing all commercial jets coming from offshore. Serious business. Rest of day is a blur…

16. Pasalon said, on September 11, 2018 at 6:13 pm

I’m next on the list to have been going through a divorce that time, so that’s weird. I was living by myself at the time, and I had purchased my first Tivo which had arrived Monday, Sep 10. At that time you had to plug it into the phone line to let it download all the programming which took hours (it was 2001 after all). I went to bed Monday night anticipating my new toy would be all ready to roll the next day. I woke up and went to turn on the TV and the horror was already well underway. I now had the feature of being able to rewind live TV, so I recall watching those planes hit the towers again and again and again, trying to wrap my brain around how the world would never be the same. To this day I think that I would have been better off not having those images seared into my brain so many times, and even now when I watch the footage I get a little scared. Soon I would be receiving an email from work from the CEO addressing everyone at work, mourning the loss of one of our employees who had the misfortune of trying to fly from Boston to LA that morning. Later that afternoon, I was in an mediation meeting with my soon to be ex-wife and she was somewhat ‘whatever’ about the day. It was incredulous that anyone could not have been in the same shock that I was, and it reaffirmed that we were not a good fit. I remember talking to Flavor that morning. We both agreed we were going to be at war.

That day was so fucked.

17. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 11, 2018 at 6:53 pm

Wow, lots of divorces or relationship upheavals on 9/11/2001…. For me, perhaps less dramatic but nonetheless earth-shaking. After living in SF for 4 years, I had gone back to Boston for 1 year but then finished and headed back to SF…. on 9/11, to start my 2nd residency there. I’d flown to Vegas a few days before 9/11 and rented a car to do a little road trip before arriving on that day in SF. Staying at a friend’s in Salinas, woke up to the apocalypse. Drove up 101 to SF in a daze…. wondering what my *new life* in SF would actually bring on the heels of this tragedy. I was going to be opening up and heading the new SF office for a market research company. Within days of 9/11, all client contracts were cancelled, and so was the SF office. Took 9 months to find a job (at Stanford, no less). Those months were often part of my “whisky before breakfast” days… I knew several people on that flight out of Boston, had been on that flight before, also the one that left out of Newark. For me, it was negatively life changing, but nothing like it affected so many other people. I remember meeting a friend the evening of 9/11 at the Marina in San Leandro. We sat there sipping whisky in shock at the empty skies with no planes coming in or going out. Eerie. Amazing how much that event still affects life in the US….

18. Macdog said, on September 11, 2018 at 7:00 pm

I was working that morning at a newspaper in central NJ that’s about 50 miles away. Needless to say, all hell broke loose at work. The first thought that struck me when I heard about the attack was how could this happen on what was an incredibly clear day. And then not long after, we found out why. I also remember the flurry of news coming fast and furious about the other plane crashes in D.C. and Pa. and wondering when is this going to end. I was so caught up in what we were doing, in this case keeping the web site up-to-date, that I never saw the towers collapse on TV. It was just devastating in our area. My hometown growing up in NJ was especially hard-hit since a lot of people there worked for a specific company in the WTC. The weekend after, my wife, daughter and me drove out to a beach called Sandy Hook that offers a great view of NYC, and being so saddened seeing the smoke still smoldering from the towers’ collapse. Five years later I was part of a project that involved brief write-ups of every known person in our coverage area who died in the attacks, ahd having to contact surviving family members. That was a brutally tough assignment.

• unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:08 pm

A good friend of mine, his wife was a flight attendant at the time for UAL and her route was the LA/Boston run. She was on the Sept 10th flight from Boston to LA and was laying over in LA on a break. Shew knew the whole crew that went down, and very close with a couple of them. She ended up quitting 3 months later.

19. snarkk said, on September 11, 2018 at 7:18 pm

I wonder how many of remaining games will SF be the Vegas betting underdog ? Probably all except a few vs. Pads…

• Flavor said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:00 pm

they were +130 today which surprised me. That’s incredibly shitty odds you have to take for a team that has nearly no chance of winning day to day……

20. unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:01 pm

Pretty cool 9/11 story NJ posted on my blog . . .

For all the horror there were a lot of heroic efforts made and indelible friendships forged.

21. Flavor said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:01 pm

interesting development in the Yankee game. Minnesota hit a grand slam in the 5th, Yanks hit one in the 6th. When was the last time we hit a grand slam? Do we have one this year? Other teams seem to hit them with regularity…..

• snarkk said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Hey BF. What’s that visual stat you always quote when teams leave Coors for the next stadium, or the Rockies return to Coors, and you say that’s a reliable indicator of advantage to the other team? Have you ever researched what would happened if you bet, for example, all season on the team that just left Coors to lose in its very next game wherever it goes?…

• Flavor said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:15 pm

visual memory index. I haven’t tracked just that example because I rarely bet straight teams to win or lose because you can’t do that legally here yet. But if is very helpful in picking starting pitching in daily fantasy sports. I have a buddy who is begging me to do this with him once we go legal in CA in the next year or two…..

• snarkk said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Minor problem. First gotta hit an HR to hit a slam…

• Macdog said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:16 pm

Or load the bases.

22. xoot said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:18 pm

the Giants are going to set some sort of record for sucking in September. The remnants of the five fives seem gassed

• xoot said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:20 pm

and MadBum giving up a grand slam the other night fit right into this shitfest

23. wilcojoe said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:21 pm

I was sitting in a magazine design class in the communications building at UT, when a student in a neighboring class came running in telling us to turn on the class TV. No sooner than we turned on CNN, the second plane struck the second tower. I will never forget one of my classmates began sobbing uncontrollably. It turned out her father worked in one of the towers. Another student drove her home (very few college students had cell phones in 2001) so she could call her mother. It wasn’t until the next day that I found out her dad, miraculously didn’t go in to the office that day.

Once we heard about the plane striking the pentagon and later the fourth plane crashing in PA, paranoia really started to settle in. I showed up at the coffee shop near campus that I managed to began my shift. A lot of my regular customers were UT professors and Austin politicos. Rumors began to run rampant that Austin could be a target since the Governors mansion was Dubya’s old digs. It wasn’t until we heard that all US airlines had been grounded and accounted for that our fears began to subside. Everything about that morning was so surreal and nothing that I ever hope to experience ever again.

24. Flavor said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:39 pm

if I’m reading baseball reference correctly, and I might not be, we’ve hit 4 grand slams this year. I remember zero of them

• Macdog said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:54 pm

I think the –3 that has 4 HRs means runner on 3rd only, and the 123 with zero HRs means bases loaded, which makes sense ’cause I sure can’t recall any slams either.

25. Flavor said, on September 11, 2018 at 8:46 pm

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 11, 2018 at 9:13 pm

lulz…

26. xoot said, on September 11, 2018 at 9:05 pm

The worst thing about baseball 2001 after 9/11 was god effing bless merica at the stretch. Best thing was Barry’s 73 on the last game of the season vs the bums. My older son and I were there. What a beautiful circus that day was

27. xoot said, on September 11, 2018 at 9:27 pm

Yikes. Base hit by rolling barrel. Score that

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 11, 2018 at 9:40 pm

That’s one very fond and amusing memory I’ll always have of Underpants: that post-season “triple-hit” seeing-eye single that curved and scooted past the shortstop because the ball hit the bat 3 times in one swing. Only Pence.

28. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 11, 2018 at 9:55 pm

From the lack of comments here, I didn’t even realize there was a game. MLB site says G’s lost 4-1. Was that today? Was that yesterday? Was that the past 2 weeks? Will it be tomorrow? I have no idea anymore….. Now’s the time of year when the winners separate themselves from the pretenders. Phils fighting for a playoff spot just got double-header swept at home by the Nats. LA loses in Cincy. I’m starting to miss these September games that used to mean something….

• snarkk said, on September 11, 2018 at 10:30 pm

4-1 loss to Braves.
      Two straight, same score.
      How many games out of the last dozen is that with scoring one run?
      Oh for September. 10 straight Pfffffffttttttt.
      This team is just LAME ASS.
      How can you not BLOW THIS Fer UP?…

29. unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2018 at 10:10 pm

Yeah, I was at that game too. Took my oldest daughter. VeriSign had a box way down the LF line for that game. I remember watching the scrum for the ball and marveling that it was still going 20 minutes later.

30. unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2018 at 10:13 pm

Wow. I thought .500 was hard to get over. It sure is easy to slip under it pretty fast. 10 games under now.

31. snarkk said, on September 11, 2018 at 10:51 pm

10 game losing streak is longest in 22 years (1996).
    BTFU…

32. unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2018 at 10:57 pm

Robo ump! (sung to the tune of Rocket Man)

Robo ump!

Callin’ balls and strikes that humans miss

Oh I think its gonna be a long long time till
    home runs bring around a Giants win.

They’re not the team they thought they were at home, oh no.

Robo ump!