Let’s Just Lose Out

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 12, 2018

Those were some powerful memories you guys shared yesterday. Above all, we learned that during our nation’s most trying times Flappers are busy struggling big time with the ladies. Lqtm….

Ten in a row. 10. Does the number even matter? Not really. There is a growing piece of me that wants them to lose out. The only way we will ever get rid of the buffoons running this team is if they turn into an embarrassment, a joke. Coming in mid pack with this underwhelming coterie of hangers-on isn’t going to magnify the true problems enough for REAL CHANGE. We need another 98 loss season, or something close to it, to wake up the nightwatchman of this abandoned amusement park and FORCE him to make the tough decisions necessary to turn this thing around.

You know what’s hilarious? We are still better than….you guessed it….the Mets, Marlins, Reds, and Padres. The exact same (and only) 4 teams we we’re beating  back on Aug 2nd when I ended the season and when KNBR continued to try to sell the false goods that we were still in this….

1. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2018 at 8:16 am

Hey, if we had won 10 in a row, we’d be 1/2 a game back of LA. As it is we stand to be better than last year’s trainwreck. As of now we have 4 more wins than that pathetic nightmare with 16 games left. And we only have the highest payroll in baseball!

Woo hoo. I had 9 wins this month. Grossly optimistic.

The kids are up. The kids suck. If I’m a pitcher going out there, it’s like, WTF? We have so many banjo hitters I expect to see the ghost of Burt Reynolds out there playing Deliverance.

2. willedav said, on September 12, 2018 at 8:21 am

“…tough decisions necessary to turn this around.” Like to know what they would be. Seriously. Lot of complaining about how wrong headed FO is. OK, fine. What about a plan? Who do you want to get/how do you plan to do that. Most of what I’ve heard is go get some more desperately needed power into LU in order to compete “the way the game is played today.”

giants went out in off season to pick up 3 RH bats, none of whom hit near as well (or with as much power as they did previously) and let 2 of them go already.
    Which sounds lot like last sentence of previous paragraph. Hmmnn.

FA market rather dim with mostly 30+;yr old hitters other than Machado and Harper who aren’t likely to look at SF as optimal destination. Best I see are M Gonzalez and Rox LeMahieu.

Right now they are playing without Posey Cutch Belt Sando Duggar and even Jones kid who needs patella surgery. So it’s the kids etc who are getting worked over and learning the hard way, not surprising.

3. snarkk said, on September 12, 2018 at 8:51 am

The more losses, the better the draft position. I call that a win in an otherwise lost season…

4. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2018 at 9:23 am

They need to bite the bullet and dump Pence and Smargle, Trade Panik, Crawfish, Longo and Bummie for whatever they can get. Trade/dump Melonhead. They’ll never/can’t trade Posey, and Belt is pretty much locked in.

That’s a start.

• sandog said, on September 12, 2018 at 9:30 am

Craw has a full no trade as well. Hard to see him going along with waiving that, especially with a bunch of little kids at home and his family in the bay area. I think he is here for the long haul.
      I think moving Longo is damn near impossible as well. Of all of our horrid contracts, his is probably the worst.

• unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2018 at 9:58 am

Ahh, didn’t know about the no-trade on raw. Fine. He can stay. If Boston can eat Pablo’s contract, we can eat Longo’s. That won’t happen though. All the rest should.

5. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2018 at 9:24 am

they need to OWN the fact they neglected the farm for 8 years and wallowed in dumpster diving to cobble together a roster.

• snarkk said, on September 12, 2018 at 9:51 am

I know I harp on the fact of no legit mlb quality OF up from the farm in 20+ years. Yes 3 in 5. But really, how is that possible without front office malfeasance?…

6. Flavor said, on September 12, 2018 at 9:46 am

From Baggs:
    Just consider this: Last year’s Giants team, which lost 98 games, scored a meager 639 runs to rank second worst in the majors. This current squad is on pace to score 15 fewer runs. And yet an improved pitching staff this season helped the Giants rediscover a home-field advantage, helped the team pick off a few low-scoring victories and gave them a puncher’s chance in nine games that they came back to win in walk-off fashion.

7. Flavor said, on September 12, 2018 at 9:49 am

“tough decisions” start with getting rid of the entire front office and Bochy and his staff. That is non-negotiable. From there, a new group can start building a team that can compete in today’s game. After the game, Bochy was still talking about his idiotic “keep the line moving” nonsense. True, there are players we are stuck with. That doesn’t mean they have to play. And I do think we could unload some of them if we ate a lot of salary. Guys like Crawford, he can stay and play defense. He’s not going to hurt us there.

8. djloo27 said, on September 12, 2018 at 12:15 pm

MINAJ back to Earth: 14 for his last 77 (.182) since starting out 28-70 (.400) as a Met…

9. xoot said, on September 12, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Guy’s walking around in Braves gear carrying a broom. Young woman in Giants gear with him. Hey, that broom, I said. He raised it high, proudly. That’s a Brooks Conrad model, right?

• unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2018 at 12:53 pm

Hah! There’s a hole in the middle of it.

10. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2018 at 1:08 pm

facebook game?

• djloo27 said, on September 12, 2018 at 1:15 pm

Yup…

11. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2018 at 1:47 pm

We have the lead? First time in 10 games.

12. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2018 at 3:03 pm

Can’t even take advantage of the throwing error without a stupid out thrown in.

13. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2018 at 3:08 pm

They’ve thrown in the orange (Melonhead) towel.

14. Flavor said, on September 12, 2018 at 3:26 pm

this is the shit Sabean (or hopefully whoever replaces him) is gonna need to sell to potential buyers:

15. Flavor said, on September 12, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Toomgis talk has been taken to the next level. The AMPM twitter account has responded to a twitter exchange between me, San Dawg and Creative Tony (the KNBR guy)

16. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2018 at 3:41 pm

17. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2018 at 3:56 pm

1 1 8 2 3 2 3 3 1 1 1

There are your run totals for all 11 September losses.

All 5 home losses we scored one run per game.

Epic failure. If there isn’t a purge at the end of this, I don’t know what could possibly happen to cause it.

18. Flavor said, on September 12, 2018 at 4:42 pm

Loo, if you’re out there, your thoughts on this list?

• djloo27 said, on September 12, 2018 at 6:21 pm

Nothing underrated about Monkey Man. I think it’s their best song and greatest intro ever.
      Big fan of Heartbreaker, too. For years I thought the lyrics were “Heartbreaker, with your bowling ball”.
      No real opinion on SCB. I know some insane Stones fanatics – I don’t qualify…

• Flavor said, on September 12, 2018 at 6:31 pm

San Dawg was desperate for me to get your take on this tweet

19. Flavor said, on September 12, 2018 at 4:48 pm

on my drive home they were debating the most beloved SF Giant (current) on KNBR and John Lund said it was Brandon Crawford. He thought Craw was the guy the fans would be up in arms over if they traded him. That my friends is a radio host who is out of touch with the people….

20. Flavor said, on September 12, 2018 at 5:39 pm

I’m not a religious person but I think we should all pray for Bozo and his wife. This was his post at FB today:
    Johnny Jack
    8 hrs ·
    With the southern shift of the storm and latest local info, we have decided to stay put through the hurricane. We do feel confident that we will be able to stay safe by staying in place and we do have plans B and C if needed. Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and offers of a place to stay.

• djloo27 said, on September 12, 2018 at 6:26 pm

If Bozo’s confident that’s good enough for me.
      Bozo’s a foxhole guy all the way…

• djloo27 said, on September 12, 2018 at 6:27 pm

The last time I prayed was in the 9th inning of Game 7 in 2014…

21. Flavor said, on September 12, 2018 at 5:51 pm

• zumiee said, on September 12, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Well, that’s not easy to do.

• Lurker John said, on September 12, 2018 at 6:06 pm

The 7-10 split of baseball.

22. Lurker John said, on September 12, 2018 at 6:05 pm

Wow, 11 straight games. Heads had better roll after this shit. This team is embarrassing and boring.

23. snarkk said, on September 12, 2018 at 6:10 pm

Just saw the score.
    One run of offense again. Almost comical at this point.
    That’s a new one, the longest losing streak since moving West.
    Longo sporting a still unreal .286 OBP, and I think that’s improved lately? That’s nasty, folks.
    Blaming this on the “kids” would be ludicrous. The vets have been/are mailing this one in.
    Bochy is now = Charlie Brown’s teacher.
    Heck, maybe they win 2 games this month, by accident.
    Agree with Chuck’s 3:56…

24. James said, on September 12, 2018 at 6:42 pm

It looks like the W-L record may eventually match the Pythagorean projection. That’s always a beautiful thing.

25. snarkk said, on September 12, 2018 at 6:43 pm

September Giants:

1. Worst in NL team OPS, by far: .548 vs. next worst Miami at .615
    That is mind bogglingly bad, nearly 70 points below the next team.
    2. Worst in OBP: .240
    3. Highest in NL strikeouts: 122
    4. 2nd Worst in NL runs scored: 25
    5. 11th in NL team ERA: 4.55
    6. 4th (tie) in NL most HRs given up: 14
    7. 10th (tie) in NL most HRs hit: 9

Oy…

26. Flavor said, on September 12, 2018 at 7:09 pm

i’m now trolling the AMPM twitter account trying to score free Toomgis shit. What the fuck is wrong with me?

27. Macdog said, on September 12, 2018 at 7:17 pm

The 11-game losing streak is Giants’ longest since 1951 — yes, that team.

28. alleykat69 said, on September 12, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Time to dump Booby Evans for sure!
    Here’s my top 3 candidates
    1) Jason McCloud
    2)) Michael Girsch
    3) Jared Porter
    McCloud&Porter both worked under Theo Epstein bringing in talented players for both Boston&Chicago
    Fire Booby now! No reason to drag the envitable on! Sabes should ride in the sunset as well,Boch? Kick him upstairs somewhere are retire as well…

• snarkk said, on September 12, 2018 at 8:07 pm

I am with you.
      Storm the Bastille !…

29. snarkk said, on September 12, 2018 at 7:50 pm

I wonder if these guys could have helped with some hits?…

30. djloo27 said, on September 12, 2018 at 8:25 pm

Did you know I could write something this good?

DJLoo said, on July 29, 2012 at 11:02 am (Edit)

I share all those awesome childhood memories of Stretch that you guys have the ability to lay out so eloquently. So as always you can count on me for a less cheerful one.

Mays & McCovey came to a card show/autograph signing thing in 1985. I was stunned to hear about it – the memorabilia craze hadn’t really taken off yet. It was held in the gymnasium of a Catholic School in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. Another hero of mine, Joe Pepitone was also there. Autographs were cheap – maybe $20 for Mays, less for McCovey, and way less for Pepi. Laughed it up and took a great picture with Joe. Got to the M & M table where they were sitting side by side. Mays was somber and wouldn’t even look at me. McCovey was pleasant and shook my hand. I asked if they would allow my friend to snap a picture of me standing behind them. McCovey said sure and Mays grunted something. In the picture Stretch has a big smile. Mays looks like he’s getting a colonoscopy. Later on I was just hanging around outside across the street. McCovey came out (all alone!) limping visibly. I was struck by his outfit. Looked like he picked it up from the Salvation Army. An ill-fitting red checkered sport jacket and bright red pants that were at least 3 inches too short. I yelled out, “need a ride, Willie?”. He waved and said, “I’m alright, man!”. I stayed where I was and watched him slowly hobble down 65th Street. To me, it was the picture of a man down on his luck. He turned left at the corner and disappeared from my view. I have no idea how he could’ve had any idea where he was going around there.
    I remember hoping that the neighborhood Guinz-aloons wouldn’t give him a hard time…

• snarkk said, on September 12, 2018 at 8:57 pm

Great story, sounds exactly right.
      I had the great privilege of being a kid fan of the Giants when Stretch as a real giant of a man and a player, was all class and badass at the same time, without even trying…

31. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 12, 2018 at 8:42 pm

Not much to report from the game today. The netting behind the plate has been extended down each line and is now past the dugout and photographer’s well so there’s that.

• djloo27 said, on September 12, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Unfortunately, you can probably still see through it…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 12, 2018 at 9:45 pm

I’m just setting them up, you’re knocking them down my man!

32. djloo27 said, on September 12, 2018 at 8:44 pm

Later that night…

DJLoo said, on July 29, 2012 at 10:12 pm (Edit)

Unconfirmed report: We got Hunter Pence!

Flavor said, on July 29, 2012 at 10:51 pm (Edit)

Stfu. —-not time to be an ass..

DJLoo said, on July 30, 2012 at 6:52 am (Edit)

That hurt…

33. sandog said, on September 12, 2018 at 9:00 pm

Love the reset of the Mays/McCovey/Joe Pep story.

Flav—sorry to leave you hanging on the Toomgis thread. I went out tonight. I may jump in there tomorrow.

Trivia Time: who was the Giants pitcher who broke David Cone’s pinky while he tried to bunt?

34. zumiee said, on September 12, 2018 at 9:16 pm

It had to be depressing for all-time greats like Mays and McCovey to miss out on the huge contracts that came after free agency hit big. Nowadays guys sign contracts that set themselves up for life, but Joe DiMaggio had to sell coffee-makers.

35. djloo27 said, on September 12, 2018 at 9:19 pm

If I can find that picture of me and the Willies it would turn this place on its ear…