When Nothing Is Really Happening

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 17, 2018

Exciting times down in San Diego. I’m guessing our main man on the scene, San Dawg, doesn’t make it to one of these games cause it’s mid week. And, going to one of these games sounds like one of the most unfun thing you could do.

Here’s the deal with Evans: He’s been closely managed by Sabean since he returned last winter. In fact, other than eating a lot of lunches with Sabean I doubt Evans has done ANYTHING since last February aside from some lackey stuff. So I’m not sure what the point is to just shit can Evans, The Body Builder and a couple old ladies in the office….

To me that’s designed 100% just to appease the season ticket holders. It looks like something is happening and it keeps them re-upping. But in reality nothing is happening.

“The Wilderness Years” is one of the great names ever given to anyone/anything here at the Flap. It invokes an image that is both funny AND a haunting reality. As fans of the team, until Sabean and Bochy are gone, we should plan on walking the earth until our shoes fall off and we run out of ground…..

1. blade3colorado said, on September 17, 2018 at 7:03 am

Yep, “wilderness years” reminds me of this scene from The Birds . . . It’s the end of the world. 🙂

2. alleykat69 said, on September 17, 2018 at 7:59 am

Well their’s always Vonta Davis Bills( Vernon’s younger brother) quitting at halftime yesterday on is teammates! Definite Loser! Well like the Bills but WTF ..
    It reminds me of Jimmy from “The Wonders” telling Tom Hanks ..I quit I quit I quit !!

3. willedav said, on September 17, 2018 at 8:25 am

Funny people you run into from work…UPS guy who delivers across street is lifetime Redskins fan who was all fired up to get Alex Smith and was tired of Cousins. Reg UPS guy at my store has family from KC and is big time Chiefs/Royals fan; FedEx guy I see every day is a musician from Texas and Raider fan. Be funny to get all 3 of them together in a room after how this weekend played out.

Niners straining to beat Detroit isn’t good look either and they have to go to Arrowhead next Sunday. So I ain’t saying much.

4. sandog said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:18 am

You know we well Flav. Being a country boy, I usually do stay away from the mid week games once the school year begins, BUT I am making an exception this week. I was given Premier Club seats for tomorrow night behind the plate and a big group of friends are going Wednesday night, so I will be there as well to see some people I haven’t seen in a long time.
    Holland pitching tomorrow night—-and you know what happens when I’m in the house to watch the Dutch Oven take the mound……

I got an extra for tomorrow night. SportsDude–want to make the trip down to SD? Great seat and it won’t cost you a dime.

5. Flavor said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:31 am

AMPM just contacted me via twitter. They are sending me free toomgis shit as I type this. Does a Monday get any better?

• sandog said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:39 am

So awesome.

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2018 at 2:01 pm

Seriously? What did you do to make that happen?

• Flavor said, on September 17, 2018 at 5:37 pm

me and San Dawg were bantering back and forth on twitter with some dude who works for KNBR and I guess he tagged the AMPM twitter account at some point. They read it and sent me a private twitter message today asking for my address.

6. Flavor said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:31 am

do you old niner fans remember a guy quitting back in the day? Dan Audick? halftime quiter? Tell me you remembe this

7. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:56 am

Audick was an offensive tackle we got from the Steelers (?) right before the Super Bowl run of ’81. Don’t remember him quitting on the team tho. He was a great left tackle. I don’t think it was him.

• blade3colorado said, on September 17, 2018 at 10:24 am

Actually he was part of “Air Coryell’s” outfit. Like you said, he was a great tackle and was a great contributor in our 1st Superbowl. Followed him because he attended school in Hawaii where I lived. Dude is super smart and was never a quitter. Not certain, but I think he has a Phd.

8. alleykat69 said, on September 17, 2018 at 10:05 am

Yeah I remember Audick, he’s wasn’t a quitter,after getting a ring on the 81 SB team he finished out his career with the Cardinals.,

9. alleykat69 said, on September 17, 2018 at 10:08 am

Chuck..He never played with the Steelers, it was the Chargers in 1980

10. alleykat69 said, on September 17, 2018 at 10:24 am

Tomilinson,Sharpe,and Sanders we’re ripping Davis on their postgame show.How the hell do you quit in the middle of the game? You better undress and get the hell out before the rest of the team gets to the locker room!!
    You quit in spring training are OTA’s if your heart’s not in football anymore!

11. Flavor said, on September 17, 2018 at 10:38 am

we had an offensive lineman who snapped during the early 80’s. Came off the field crying. I think he quit too. I am going to research this, does anyone remember this but me?

• unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2018 at 10:40 am

no (lqtm)

• blade3colorado said, on September 17, 2018 at 10:52 am

Craig, the only player I can think of that comes close to that – is John Frank, who played tight end. He quit at 26 and Bill Walsh literally begged him to reconsider. I think he wanted to be a doctor. Anyway, he was in the prime of his life as a football player and was due to make a lot more money, but quit. No hard feelings on either side, as he was a good Niner . . . Maybe this is who you’re thinking of. Dunno . . .

• snarkk said, on September 17, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Frank was smart to get out. I fear for Frank Gore and future CTE. He has taken literally thousands of hits, and is still playing…

• unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2018 at 10:59 am

Todd Shell, an LB for 3-something years, also had a career cut short by multiple injuries.

We called him Crystal Todd. He got out but I don’t think he quit during the season.

12. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2018 at 10:39 am

Audick had something to do with the Steelers. I think they drafted him.

13. alleykat69 said, on September 17, 2018 at 10:52 am

Audick was drafted by St Louis Cardinals in 77
    finished his career without quitting in 83-84 with St Louis..

14. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2018 at 10:55 am

Not ot be nitpicky, but . . . from pro football ref . . .

Dan Audick
    Daniel James Bartholomew Audick
    Position: T-G
    6-3, 252lb (190cm, 114kg)
    Born: November 15, 1954 (Age: 63-306d) in San Bernardino, CA
    College: Hawaii
    Weighted Career AV (100-95-…): 22 (4638th overall since 1960)
    High School: Wasson (CO)
    Draft: Pittsburgh Steelers in the 4th round (106th overall) of the 1977 NFL Draft

I don’t think he made it through their camp. 2 1/2 bills as an OT? Damn, that’s small even for the 70’s.

15. sandog said, on September 17, 2018 at 11:02 am

I’m pretty sure it was Forrest Blue who quit during halftime of a Niners game. Got into with Skip Vanderbundt and ended up saying hell with ths, I’m outta here.

16. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2018 at 11:26 am

He was late 60s early 70s. Don’t remember hearing that, but it could be. That was a great line. I think they gave up only 8 sacks in 1971.

• sandog said, on September 17, 2018 at 12:58 pm

I just made that up so I could drop a couple of my favorite Niner names from the past.
      Meant to come back on a few minutes later to fess up, but got busy with work.
      I hate when work interferes with my sports blogging!

• unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2018 at 2:10 pm

No shit! Those were my coming-up years with the Niners. Woody Peoples, Ted Kwalick, Dick Witcher, Frank Nunley, John Isenbarger, great names . . . those were my guys.

17. alleykat69 said, on September 17, 2018 at 1:16 pm

Well I think they had a TE Frank? who could of played longer to go into medical profession ..
    Same with Bunce QB?

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 17, 2018 at 1:33 pm

When Toomgis becomes part of the blog banner-head will it be a sad or rad day?

• Flavor said, on September 17, 2018 at 5:47 pm

everything about Toomgis is rad so…..

19. djloo27 said, on September 17, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Greatest sports quit ever:

20. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2018 at 2:16 pm

Is it this one, Flav?

toomgis

21. blade3colorado said, on September 17, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Snarkk, Forrest Blue died young at age 65 from CTE. Brittney Blue said her father began having dementia-related hallucinations in the mid-’90s, and they became more frequent and elaborate about seven years before his death. She said he often talked about “little people that lived in the walls.”

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2018 at 5:13 pm

They do…

22. alleykat69 said, on September 17, 2018 at 2:29 pm

One 49er who never had quit in him was Paul Hofer, dude layed it on the line(Triumph without the d)every snap, one of my all-time favorite 49er #36 too bad injuries caught up to him..

• sandog said, on September 17, 2018 at 4:08 pm

I don’t ask for much Kat—the truth will do just fine…..won’t you lay it on the line?

23. alleykat69 said, on September 17, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Winners never quit!
    And quitters never win!
    From the immortal Vince Lombardi.,

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2018 at 5:20 pm

Classic trivia question is who replaced Lombardi at GB?
      The answer escapes me at the moment.
      Anybody know without cheating?

• sandog said, on September 17, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Phil Benston?

• Macdog said, on September 17, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Not sure I got the last name right, Phil Bengsten?

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2018 at 6:25 pm

I had to look it up. I doubt even the most ardent fan would spell it properly:
        It’s spelled Phil Bengtson. I would’ve bet anything that it was Bengston which is how everyone pronounces it.
        A fun thing (for me anyway) is to ask a big baseball fan to spell the last name of the man known as Yaz.
        Very few get it right…

24. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2018 at 3:28 pm

Hofer was the unsung hero of the 49ers wilderness years, speaking of wilderness. He did make it to 1981 and got a ring. He was a backup by then and on bad knees, but loved his game.

• Flavor said, on September 17, 2018 at 5:35 pm

i remember checking the stats one Monday morning in the Chron and Hofer was ranked 10th in rushing yards. I remember being so proud to be a Niner fan that a guy like Hofer could crack the top 10 in rushing. I think he disappeared the next week but it was still cool and I’ll never forget that for some reason.

• unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2018 at 6:49 pm

Those were tough times to be a Niner fan. AND a Giants fan. The concrete at the Stick was horrendous, the teams sucked, and all those losses fucking hurt. After both teams had success around the same time in ’71, as a kid I thought, here we go! But they both went into the toilet long and hard. And no courtesy flush.

25. Flavor said, on September 17, 2018 at 5:38 pm

I don’t know what AMPM is sending me. When it comes I’ll show you guys. Fingers crossed it’s the mug!

26. djloo27 said, on September 17, 2018 at 8:16 pm

Suarez will literally throw 3 pitches in the time Gearrin threw one…

27. Flavor said, on September 17, 2018 at 8:28 pm

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2018 at 8:45 pm

Baggs needs a hobby.
      Like finding out when the last time the Giants failed to have a single player with 60 RBIs in a season?

28. djloo27 said, on September 17, 2018 at 8:40 pm

It’s real important to have Gorkys run for Shaw with so much on the line…

29. willedav said, on September 17, 2018 at 8:40 pm

Panik advances Blanco with groundball to right side and Longo makes it moot with 2 run bomb. 4-1

30. djloo27 said, on September 17, 2018 at 8:49 pm

Excellent play by Slater…

31. djloo27 said, on September 17, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Padre TV broadcast ain’t bad. Mark Grant and another guy…

32. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:11 pm

Was Grant part of the Holy Rollers? The God squad?

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:18 pm

I don’t think so, since he departed in the Dravecky deal – but you guys out there would know better…

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:20 pm

Actually, he might have been. The God Squad was already in high gear pre-Dravecky…

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:21 pm

I get the God Squad mixed up with the John Birch crew…

• Bozo said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:42 pm

I don’t remember if Grant was. Lavelle and Knepper were for sure and later you had Hammaker, Garrelts, and Brantley.

33. sandog said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:41 pm

I don’t think Grant was God Squad or Birch Crew. I like him as an announcer too. Other guy is usually Dan Orsillo—who the Red Sox fired a couple years ago. Not sure if he’s on the call tonight. For me, Orsillo’s not bad.

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:44 pm

Yeah, it’s Orsillo. At least they’re not annoying or big time homers…

34. alleykat69 said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:52 pm

Mark Grant they use to call him ..”The million dollar arm with a 10 cent brain”

35. Bozo said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:52 pm

The Giants win a slug fest.

36. snarkk said, on September 17, 2018 at 9:55 pm

Longoria now with 16 HRs.
    I know he was hurt and out. But, he should have had 16 by late June…