Gambling on Willie McCovey

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 20, 2018

As usual, you guys found something for me to blog about. I’m not particularly interested in who wins the Willie Mac award, especially in a year where so little *inspiring* went down. But I do pay attention to who wins and I love setting odds and trying to figure out who is going to win something. So let’s go, the book is open:

1) snarkk said, on September 19, 2018 at 9:16 am (Edit)

“It’s nice Pence homered.
It masks for one minute the near worthless $18 million season he’s had otherwise. If they give him the Willie Mac award, IMO that will sully the importance of the award…”

Snarkk obviously didn’t pick him but he kicked off the discussing. Odds Pence wins it:

10-1. This is completely based on how inspirational he once was. Nothing about this season. But in a season so lame and uninspiring, I guess I could see them giving it to him for ghosts of inspiration past, something like that…

2)  djloo27 said, on September 19, 2018 at 9:21 am (Edit)

“I think Gorks has it sewn up…”

5-1. If you’re looking for a guy who overcame a season of suckitude to nearly lead the team in home runs the following year….I guess you’d land on Gorks. He does have a sort of “perseverance je ne sais quoi” going for him…..

3) unca_chuck said, on September 19, 2018 at 10:22 am (Edit)

“I’m leaning toward Hundo.”

4-1. My pick as well although the luster of his shine has dulled a bit over the last month. I do think he does a lot of that quiet leadership bullshit everyone gets jazzed about. He did win it last year though. If not for that I’d have him at 5-2.

4) alleykat69 said, on September 19, 2018 at 11:22 am (Edit)

“I’d go with DRod or Holland”

10-1. We have an entry here. California racing did away with entries years ago but I’ll allow it for this particular race. I could actually see either winning but I think DRod is too young and Holland is too….racist? Ha. Well, that Asian thing did him in for sure…..Although now that I think about it, it’s just his teammates voting and baseball players are pretty dumb so maybe the Asian impersonation earned his a few extra votes? We will see….

5)  Bozo said, on September 19, 2018 at 12:34 pm (Edit)

“My Willie Mac vote would be for Pablo. He hit 9 HRs 40 RBIs in his bench role filling in at 3B, 1B, 2B and he pitched a perfect inning. Also, as the emergency catcher allowed the Giants to use Hundley as a PHer. Gotta be the Panda.”

25-1. He’d be lower if he’d finished the season. Right now I can barely remember Pablo’s year and I think a *what have you done for me lately?* thing needs to apply at least a little bit to this award. I’m assuming he’s not even with the team anymore but maybe someone corrects me on that……

6)  zumiee said, on September 19, 2018 at 4:12 pm (Edit)

“I could see Posey winning the Willie Mac for playing on an injured hip this season, and for his work in the community.”

3-1. Absolutely. Never underestimate the Power of Posey. He can do anything. Except hit a ball to the warning track…….

7)  blade3colorado said, on September 19, 2018 at 9:04 pm (Edit)

“Speaking of Blanco (said no one ever) . . . How about him for the Mac award?”

20-1. He was only up for a couple months all season, he would have to be inspiring as shit 24/7 to beat the guys who were here all year.

8) dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 20, 2018 at 9:08 am (Edit)

“Not even a sniff for Crawford? He carried the team from May-June and leads the club in games played at a key position. He’s also got the best walk up music and is a clear trend setter in the club house when it comes to hair product.” 20-1. Maybe he gets some love from his teammates for bouncing back from last season’s tough emotional stuff….

__________________________

Uninspiring haul from AMPM

Screenshot 2018-09-20 at 6.53.41 PM

1. Bozo said, on September 20, 2018 at 7:11 am

25-1 on the Kung Fu master? I should double down.

Speaking of longshots and the Giants woes, while the village folk have gotten their pitchforks and torches at the ready when names of Bochy, Sabean, Evans and Baer are mentioned, I’ve been thinking of a different name to blame. I’ve been thinking about Mr. Long Shot himself, Stix. Since Stix took his infamous pot shot at the Feds, the Giants haven’t been able to regain their winning ways. We need to get Stix back and soon, as I figure it’ll take some time for him to get back up to speed. I doubt the prison system cooked with as much lard and bacon fat as his body had been accustomed to, so we’ll need to get him on his usual diet program. As far as conditioning goes, I figure we could send that strength coach we just fired, Stix could use him as a target to get his eye ready for the 2019 season.
    Free Stix.

2. willedav said, on September 20, 2018 at 7:18 am

In looking at past winners Loo posted, Krukow and Snow both won it twice. I’d give it to Hundley again, and having to C most of the time over last month also comes out a plus even tho numbers have faded some.
    Garcia has played 1b now 3 games in a row, right? This wasn’t supposed to happen. Hundley goes back to back.

Gorks lol…just too airheaded. Tho from same list, Marvin Benard owns a WMac too.

3. willedav said, on September 20, 2018 at 7:25 am

For Puig lovers there is interesting F/G column on him yesterday. While they admit he stills finds way to not let annoying things like cut off men or base coaches cramp his style, his recent power surge (including last night unfortunately) has pushed numbers up to .800 OPS with .500 slugging and 22 bombs.

One thing holding him down is reverse split dive recent years, where his numbers vs. LHP have been dropping steadily into replacement level. Giants of course will get one more look at him next week.

NL division/WC races really exciting, but honest I can’t watch any post season until LA gets eliminated.

4. willedav said, on September 20, 2018 at 7:46 am

Rita Moreno (wow!) is still going. I’ve been big fan of latin music for over 40 yrs but have zero dancing skills.

I was looking for vids on a song from Cuban band “Mi Sombrero de Yarey” about a guy who is missing his old style Cuban country hat that he can’t find anymore. One of the vids I found is in supper club where people my age are up and dancing to a cover version of the song and they are just fabulous…moving the hips and feet around to the beat like it’s nothing. The “muevete” moves the women still have are amazing.

5. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2018 at 8:44 am

Panda is on the team and was in the dugout on crutches last week. I’d bet Panda in a heaertbeat.

6. snarkk said, on September 20, 2018 at 8:44 am

I’ll go with Pence. He’s the perfect choice for a nothing season. Celebrate past exploits, not recent ones since there aren’t any…

7. snarkk said, on September 20, 2018 at 8:48 am

Giants must have forgotten to fire somebody yesterday. Janitorial staff looks like it is next up in the blame department. Let’s get it together, guys, get back on track…

8. Flavor said, on September 20, 2018 at 8:51 am

after perusing the odds again, I think I’d probably take Pence too at 10-1…..

9. sandog said, on September 20, 2018 at 9:05 am

For 10 to 1, I get both Holland and DRod? I’m a value guy, so I will put my money there. I think Holland has a solid chance.
    Game last night was meh. Strat looked like he was pitching BP. I think that will close the book on my baseball attendance this year. Went to 6 Padre games, 2 Mets games, and 1 Giants game.

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 20, 2018 at 9:08 am

• Flavor said, on September 20, 2018 at 9:50 am

sorry, nominations are closed. But I see your point.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 20, 2018 at 10:12 am

Seems like an impartial 3rd party is needed here-arbitration, FBI investigation, something…

11. willedav said, on September 20, 2018 at 9:15 am

cbs site guy M Snyder thinks Pads (who suck) might be on right track. They have Mejia up, Reyes and Renfroe showing some pop, good prospects Tatis Jr. Urias as hitters plus highly rated SP in AA good pen without Hand and guy they threw last night yada yada.

Wonder what general mood of their fan base is and whether they think good things are coming or just more of the same at bottom of the division. They’ve already lost more than last season and Hosmer (curious signing) is having Longo type of year. Plus they’ve moved
    other high priced guy myers around a lot.

They also have lot of young guys who don’t hit much–Spangenberg Pirela Jankowski Margot all under.700 OPS.
    While Galvis kills giants he’s under .700 OPS too. Overall they are still at bottom of league for most O stats tho they have hit more bombs (150+) than Giants). run differential minus a lot.

• unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2018 at 9:22 am

SD treads 15 games under .500 like we tread .500. No hope and a lot of ifs.

12. alleykat69 said, on September 20, 2018 at 10:16 am

They should give out a “Willie Mac Yo Yo Award” my choice easily would be Specs!!
    Never seen a player going back&forth from the bigs and minors more then him..

13. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2018 at 12:17 pm

That would be the Matt Williams yo-yo award.

• alleykat69 said, on September 20, 2018 at 12:24 pm

Yeah it started with Williams cause he couldn’t hit a curve ball, but I bet Specs has been to yo yoed more in his career..

• xoot said, on September 20, 2018 at 1:25 pm

I remember al rosen going on the post game radio show to explain one of Williams demotions while promising that he’d be back soon and eventually would be a mike Schmidt type of 3B. I sure don’t hear anyone making promises about specs

14. Flavor said, on September 20, 2018 at 12:20 pm

DIRT— your request has been heard by the Flap Board of Ethics and Review and the decision rendered is……request upheld. Crawford is IN! He’s a longshot dawg but he’s on the dance floor let’s see what happens!!!!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 20, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Very generous of you. Let it never be said that Flavor is not a fair blog ruler.

• unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2018 at 2:50 pm

I think Twin would have something to say about that . . . (heh heh heh)

15. djloo27 said, on September 20, 2018 at 3:32 pm

Great handicapping and commentary up top, Flavor.
    I think Twin would be with me on Gorkys…

16. djloo27 said, on September 20, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Is there a field bet available, Flavor?
    I know MacDog likes the Fresh Wince and I would even give Blach a puncher’s chance…

17. Flavor said, on September 20, 2018 at 5:22 pm

AMPM box came today. Pffftttt underwhelming. They sent me a hand written letter which was nice. But the letter informed me that they were *out* of the large cups (San Dawg has a large cup) so they were sending me a small cup instead. And 2 bumper stickers. Do they know who they’re dealing with? A SMALL cup for BIG Flavor? What the fuck kind of rinky dink operation are they running over there??????

• sandog said, on September 20, 2018 at 5:42 pm

You might have got the same cup I have. Mine holds a pint.

• Flavor said, on September 20, 2018 at 5:51 pm

dunno. Maybe it’s a pint. Too depressed to go check. It’s on the other side of the room, I can barely see it from here. It’s small.

• sandog said, on September 20, 2018 at 5:58 pm

I know you were dreaming of getting that big ass soda container that holds like a gallon.

• Flavor said, on September 20, 2018 at 6:02 pm

you sold me a tale of a huge cup. Now I’m looking at this thing from across the room, at least I think I’m looking at it maybe that’s a shot glass, and I’m thinking, “Diggity done duped me again….”

• blade3colorado said, on September 20, 2018 at 5:43 pm

Sad . . . I am a coffee drinker and my cup has to be a large on road trips.

18. blade3colorado said, on September 20, 2018 at 5:42 pm

Brutal, but fair assessment of how the Giants went from being a great franchise to being a mediocre one. The only thing I don’t like about this column is that the author really doesn’t assess blame to any 1-2 individuals in the front office, but essentially says that the blame came about “Through a mix of natural causes, negligence and stubbornness, and their time as World Series contenders has expired.” Interesting read about where we’ve been; where we are; and, where we’re going . . .

19. Flavor said, on September 20, 2018 at 6:55 pm

popped a pic of me and me new mug into the main thread.

• djloo27 said, on September 20, 2018 at 7:55 pm

Looks ok to me.
      You’re a big man…

• blade3colorado said, on September 20, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Maybe it’s the way the photo was taken, but your left hand is way bigger than your right hand. Consequently, the cup looks okay in your smaller hand. 🙂

20. alleykat69 said, on September 20, 2018 at 8:41 pm

Pffffft yeah that’s mug is weak BF!!
    I get a bigger coffee cup at 7-11 then that measely sorry mug..

21. zumiee said, on September 20, 2018 at 11:03 pm

Here’s a guy whose hands would make the cup look bigger.

22. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2018 at 11:51 pm

You wearing a Dead shirt there, Flav?

• Flavor said, on September 21, 2018 at 5:57 am

yes, nice catch that’s hard to see from the pic

23. djloo27 said, on September 21, 2018 at 4:57 am

I’m still on Gorks, but I’m thinking that a field bet (meaning everyone else on the team for the non racetrack crowd) worth be a solid bet at say 8-1. Smith, Blach, Hanson, Moronta, etc are all viable candidates in a year like this…

• Flavor said, on September 21, 2018 at 5:58 am

Ok I’ll set the field number at 12-1. That should spice up the action, eh?