Let’s Roll

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 28, 2018

Our post season begins tonight. Sadly, it could turn out to be just a one game playoff if Bum can’t cobble together a good start. Gotta win this first one if we’re going to gather any momentum at all to take one this weekend.

The Giants really could do this. They’re old enough to care about their place in the season’s history. They’re old enough to muster up the old man strength needed to accomplish the task.

Do I think they’ll do it? Hell know. But at least we get some semi-meaningful baseball before we shut down the peripheral wings of Big Flavor Incorporated for the Winter. I’d actually love to see Pence lead off every game and be instrumental in winning 2 of these games. He’s one of the greatest Giants we’ve ever had and I am rooting for him to win the Willie Mac Award. But, it’s time for him to go. I think Tenacious D said it best about the great Ronnie James Dio with this epic tribute:

Dio has rocked for a long, long time,
Now it’s time for him to pass the torch.
He has songs of wildebeests and angels,
He has soared on the wings of a demon.

It’s time to pass the torch,
You’re too old to rock, no more rockin’ for you.
We’re takin’ you to a home,
But we will sing a song about you.

And we will make sure that you’re very well taken care of.
You’ll tell us secrets that you’ve learned. Raow!

1. Flavor said, on September 28, 2018 at 6:18 am

2. mrsprtdude said, on September 28, 2018 at 7:43 am

Rockies Nats. Who knows? Weird to root for the Rockies though… If we win tonight the presuure on Kershaw will be huge. Just the type of game he loses. A rookie in the last game with the season on the line. Beuler is great. Hopefully the pressure will get to him. Honestly I’d rather have him vs Keshaw when it matters…Hopefully they will both implode and we sweep! A great way to end a miserable year. Last thought. Cool that mets are letting Wright play one last game…

3. mrsprtdude said, on September 28, 2018 at 7:43 am

Off to Az to see the kid. See ya all Sunday!

4. mrsprtdude said, on September 28, 2018 at 7:44 am

PPS.. Either way LA won’t have there best guys available to start in Milwaukee!

5. willedav said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:07 am

enjoying any part of post season involves teams I can’t stand being eliminated first. Be very cool if Giants helped things along by denying LA even getting into it.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:14 am

7. alleykat69 said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:13 am

He’s one of the best Giants we’ve ever had?
    Wow that’s stretching it..

• Flavor said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:59 am

If you factor in what he meant to the 2012 WS, fuck yeah, one of the best of all time

• sandog said, on September 28, 2018 at 12:05 pm

That line gave me pause as well—esp coming from you who haven’t exactly been a beacon of positivity regarding the Giants recently.
        Not sure I’m with you on this one, but respect you for standing behind it. No doubt he had some great contributions over the years here.

8. Flavor said, on September 28, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Leading the way on a World Series victory goes a long way with me. It should go a long way with all of us. Without Pence, and Zito, we don’t win in 2012…..

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 28, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Pence anchored a line up to two WS Championships. I’m in agreement that he’s “one of the greatest Giants we’ve ever had”.

10. djloo27 said, on September 28, 2018 at 2:34 pm

I think it was Zumie who said Pence was never the same after getting his arm broken on a HBP in a spring training game a few years ago. It’s true. Not sure how much blame Lexi deserves. Maybe a little. He is not deserving of the Willie Mac Award which should go to Gorkys. If you separate “greatest Giants” from “greatest Giants who won titles”, you’ll get 2 very different lists…

11. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 2:55 pm

I read an MLB.com chart wrong yesterday, and thought it was saying the Rockies had already clinched a Wild Card spot, which didn’t seem right, and others pointed that out last night.
    So the Rockies, Dodgers, and Cards are competing for the two remaining playoff spots. One of them gets left out.

• zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 2:58 pm

The Cubs and Dodgers are particularly arrogant and full of themselves. It would be nice to see neither make it to the World Series.

12. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 2:59 pm

How about a Brewers/A’s World Series?! That would be a TV rating nightmare, but that’s cool.

13. unca_chuck said, on September 28, 2018 at 3:02 pm

I don’t think we come back from 0-2 and 1-3 without Pence. One of the greatest? Sure. That makes for a big list tho. Which I (and the Giants, that’s for sure) don’t have a problem with. Edgar Renteria, Juan Oooribe, Mike Morse, Pat the Bat, Rally Thong, Pettitt, Belt in the 17th, Cody Ross, Travis Ishkawa, Marco Scutaro, Freddie Glasschez, Zeets, and the usual suspects, even Melky, there are a ton of guys who had their moments to contribute to the glory that was 3 in 5.

PS, the scene of Jeff Flake in the elevator was one of the greatest moments of public shaming I’ve ever seen. Good on those women to call his ass out in such a gut-wrenching way. Flake has 5 daughters, for God’s sake. He couldn’t see the ramifications?

I just have to wonder why Trump is so suddenly circumspect about this.

• djloo27 said, on September 28, 2018 at 3:16 pm

I’m sure she’ll cash in on it…

• unca_chuck said, on September 28, 2018 at 3:20 pm

She who? The women who confronted Flake? Ford? Seriously, dude. She’s a fucking research psychologist at Stanford. Yeah, she’s doing this for fun, for fuck’s sake.

• djloo27 said, on September 28, 2018 at 3:25 pm

The one who wouldn’t shut up and let the elevator go.
        The one who was close enough to put a bullet in his gut…

• unca_chuck said, on September 28, 2018 at 4:48 pm

Awww, let’s sing a song for the bad man. The poor entitled rich white preppie fascist who got too drunk and did some nasty shit. He and Ted Kennedy will share a special corner of hell together.

• xoot said, on September 28, 2018 at 4:12 pm

• unca_chuck said, on September 28, 2018 at 4:48 pm

Now that’s funny. All that’s missing is the end of that scene . . .

14. djloo27 said, on September 28, 2018 at 3:04 pm

I’m into long suffering fans getting to see one before they die. Indians or Brewers would be fine with me…

15. Flavor said, on September 28, 2018 at 3:08 pm

Really interesting interview with sabes on knbr right now. Sounds like he’s totally out of the loop on the hiring of the new baseball of operations

• zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 3:40 pm

Which begs the question, what exactly is Sabean’s job description going forward? Maybe that’s still being worked out between him and Baer.

16. Flavor said, on September 28, 2018 at 3:55 pm

I listened to the entire interview and Sabean acted like he is completely out of the loop on everything—at one point he said “I’m hoping the organization remembers what I’ve done for them and I hope they do right by me. I’ve still got a young family to feed”—that’s not word for word, but close.
    He’s done at the helm. Xoot was right, they are fading him out. I now have faith in the process…..

• djloo27 said, on September 28, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Everybody has a fuckin’ family to feed. Is there anybody left on Earth who’s not a fuckin’ crybaby?

17. Macdog said, on September 28, 2018 at 4:43 pm

It looks like the Dodgers will do no worse than play in the wild-card game since the Cards can’t get a win since sweeping the Giants. IF the Dodgers end up in the WCG, which is Tuesday, I guess Kershaw would start on two days’ rest.

18. unca_chuck said, on September 28, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Good for him. He’ll get shelled if the recent past is any indication.

19. blade3colorado said, on September 28, 2018 at 4:57 pm

Definitely a good Giant . . .

20. unca_chuck said, on September 28, 2018 at 4:58 pm

NEver heard that Dio tribute. Pretty cool, Flav.

21. unca_chuck said, on September 28, 2018 at 5:00 pm

For DJ . . .

22. blade3colorado said, on September 28, 2018 at 5:21 pm

All of this is funny, but especially minute 3 through 4 minute 10 seconds . . .

23. willedav said, on September 28, 2018 at 6:14 pm

A good Giant sure, but he’s a “greatest Giant” maybe for this week.
    He had 2 really good seasons, tops… and one more good one 2015 after he’d been playing 162 for 2 straight. That and the beanball in ST did him in, permanently.
    That’s it.
    He’s not even among greatest white boy Giants OFs. Add the black and Latins in, out of the question.

• Flavor said, on September 28, 2018 at 6:29 pm

depends on what you emphasize. I put the WS wins and those who contribute mightily higher than guys who had great SF careers who won nothing.

• willedav said, on September 28, 2018 at 6:32 pm

so where’s Cody Ross? to me a couple post season ABs vs. entire career, no.
        Same with Zito–yes he did a great job in post season. But that does not excuse YEARS of absolute suckitude on the mound and all the “trust my stuff” nonsense he talked while getting his ass kicked.

• Flavor said, on September 28, 2018 at 6:39 pm

Cody Ross contributed to 1 WS and did nothing else in the regular season or any other season. Cody Ross and Pence aren’t even in the same ballpark.

24. willedav said, on September 28, 2018 at 6:29 pm

I get Pence is good guy and an inspiration to all in clubhouse.
    so what have the Giants been desperate for last few years—inspiration or offense?
    At a time when he could have helped fill a void he’s been flat awful at the plate, and for that matter in OF too.

• Flavor said, on September 28, 2018 at 6:50 pm

who cares what he did the last couple of years, he’s been done for a while now. But when they were in the highest leverage games he came up huge. Time and time again. Again, they don’t win in 2012 without him and he was a big contributor in 2014 too

25. xoot said, on September 28, 2018 at 6:30 pm

I remember going into the 2014 PS the Giants had one legit starting pitcher and one legit starting outfielder. Both of them stepped up, big time. Pence’s catch spread-eagled against the wall vs. the Nats and his OPS over 1.000 in the WS are two things that stand out for me. Flavor has highlighted the great boost he gave the team in the second half of 2012. We don’t have those two trophies without him. His recent decline sort of obscures the value of his contribution when it counted. Helluva a great Giant, at just the right time.

26. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 7:05 pm

Renel said “Ladies and Gentlemen.” All 1,000 in the ballpark at the moment.

27. alleykat69 said, on September 28, 2018 at 7:09 pm

Well it was Pablo who set the tone in 2012 with his 3HR game ( 2 back to back off of Verlander) and MVP award , so I would say they don’t win 2012 without him more then Pence..

28. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 7:12 pm

Will Smith?! A dark horse winner!

• Bozo said, on September 28, 2018 at 7:16 pm

Good for him, he stepped it up when others were blowing it up.

29. Flavor said, on September 28, 2018 at 7:15 pm

Will Smith? WTF? Loo, there’s your field bet, right? Was he even in the field, lol?

30. willedav said, on September 28, 2018 at 7:16 pm

Dahl homers again 5-2 rockies.
    Cards and their mgr lol. this month alone (11-14 so far) they have lost series to the Reds and Tigers, and lost 3 of 4 to LA the team that probably takes their spot. Not to mention 4 in a row this week after giants left town.

31. Flavor said, on September 28, 2018 at 7:21 pm

Still trying to wrap my brain around Smith winning. Shows that we really have no idea what is going on behind the scenes or how the players relate to one another.

• zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 7:22 pm

We undervalued how the players saw his comeback from TJ surgery.

• Flavor said, on September 28, 2018 at 7:33 pm

clearly. I never even considered him. There’s a chance Loo had him in the field, I can’t remember and don’t feel like digging it out

32. Bozo said, on September 28, 2018 at 7:51 pm

We got one…

33. Macdog said, on September 28, 2018 at 7:52 pm

HR Hundley!

34. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Slater killed a promising rally.

35. snarkk said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:06 pm

I’m down with Smith for Willie Mac award. He performed well, and after a big recovery from a physical setback. That’s true to the spirit of it. Pence winning would have cheapened it. Bravo to the players, most of whom otherwise sucked all season…

36. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:12 pm

Bum pitched Friese like he’s a young Hank Aaron.

37. willedav said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Freese was a good pickup for LA.
    Slater has a good arm says Kruk…other than throw to get Reyes at 2b from RF, idk That throw was nowhere near the plate.

38. theroooster said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:21 pm

R A M S !!!!

39. theroooster said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:21 pm

Oh wait….

40. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:26 pm

• theroooster said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:27 pm

Hey zoom

• zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:32 pm

Hey dude! Should be an interesting weekend. You have to like the Cards fading.

• theroooster said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:46 pm

Yeah, Cards fading worse than the Dodgers so far. Either way, I don’t think the Dodgers will go far in the Postseason if they do end up squeezing in. No situational hitting whatsoever. That’s one thing Seager was really good at. The rest of these guys just slug, which is fine when they are on, but going up against good pitching you need situational hitting. None of them do it.

41. pawliekokonuts said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:29 pm

Hunter Pence belongs in the pantheon of Giants, at least in SF, because he was the heart and soul of 2012 and 2014. It wasn’t just rah-rah stuff. He was a force. And he had key hits. I can’t articulate it, but without him the Giants surely don’t win in 2012, and maybe not in 2014. (Correct, Magnus, on Zito also in 2012.) Pence bled orange, as they say. He loved being a Giant. He is the poster child of 2012. Who could ever forget that hit he had when the ball hit the bat like 3 times?

42. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:30 pm

One of the biggest differences in the game nowadays is the ability of a lot of batters to foul off a bunch of 2-strike pitches.

43. pawliekokonuts said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:30 pm

I didn’t hear Sabes on KNBR, but I said it y’day here: he’s shunted off to the side on the org chart. Irrelevant. He is what they call a Window Watcher in Japan. Google it.

• zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Yikes- the Urban Dictionary had a whole other definition.

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:57 pm

“madogiwa zoku” or the “window seat tribe”

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:58 pm
  44. unca_chuck said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:32 pm

As usual. little run support.

45. unca_chuck said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:33 pm

doink.

46. theroooster said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Yeah guys, I haven’t been around much at all this season, no particular reason, can’t really say why exactly. Maybe it had become somewhat, idk, boring isn’t the right word, “old hat”? “Ho hum”? Win the division every year, fall short of winning it all. Over and over and over. Much more excited about the Rams this season – back home where they belong, lighting up the sky, Goff on fire, threadin’ needles last night…..

• djloo27 said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:08 pm

Rooster, you know I dig ya but you pull the same shit every year.
      It’s become, idk, boring, old hat, ho- hum?

47. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:43 pm

Batting Tomlinson for Slater was pointless.

48. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:47 pm

Bum’s stuff just isn’t all that great anymore.

49. theroooster said, on September 28, 2018 at 8:48 pm

Big Red

• zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:00 pm

I’ll bet his wife hates that beard.

• theroooster said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:11 pm

Probably, idk, some chicks dig facial hair. I had an Italian girlfriend waaaay back who actually cried when I shaved my beard off. Couldn’t believe it, frickin’ tears over a beard. She might have been drunk tho, emotional and all that, can’t really remember was very long ago. Man she had a great rack, I do remember that.

• Bozo said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:12 pm

Probably not as much as she hates the weeping carbuncles.

50. djloo27 said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:01 pm

MacDog had the Fresh Wince all along, I think. I believe he was part of my field bet…

51. pawliekokonuts said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:07 pm

It is September 29 on the East Coast. 64 years ago: The Catch.

• djloo27 said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:15 pm

61 years ago the last game at the P.G.

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:19 pm

really? good one…there weren’t many there … 11,000 plus?

52. pawliekokonuts said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:08 pm

Marty Balin has died.

• djloo27 said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:13 pm

And Don Taussig lives…

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:18 pm

does he still? I’m not sure I ever shoulda called him in Jupiter, FL. Your comment that the fellow Giants fan in Syracuse was calling 911 was gold

53. Macdog said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Macdog said, on September 19, 2018 at 4:48 pm
    My dark horse Willie Mac winner is Will Smith.

• Bozo said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:32 pm

Nailed it.

54. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:17 pm

This offense is just bad to the end.

• Macdog said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:20 pm

And they’ll have no shot vs. Kershaw tomorrow.

55. Macdog said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:19 pm

What is it, four more years of this piece of shit at 3B?

56. pawliekokonuts said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Moronta reminds me of Yasmeiro Petit . . . or a sumo wrestler

57. pawliekokonuts said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:23 pm

How come the outfield grass is so fucked up? It’s not like they played an NFL game there.

• Macdog said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:27 pm

Concerts? And maybe it still hasn’t recovered from the rugby tourney a while back.

58. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:26 pm

Marty Balin. Very sad news. I’m a big fan of those ’70s Jefferson Starship albums. They were a pop band by them, but a very good one. “Miracles” and “Count on Me” mean more to me than any Airplane song. I loved the “Earth” album with that cool cover art.

• Bozo said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:57 pm

He sang probably one of the worst renditions of the national anthem that I ever heard at the Stick (Miss Daily City was almost as bad). He wasn’t on my favorite JA LP, “Thirty Second Over Winterland”, I think Freiberg was singing on that one but the band really cooked and Johnny Barbata kicked some serious ass on drums.

59. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:31 pm

60. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:35 pm

Balin dropped out of the music scene for a few years in the early ’70s because he was fed up with all the drug use. It was killing great musicians and ended the ’60s on a dark note. Manson and Altamont among the dark events.

61. djloo27 said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:36 pm

“He and Ted Kennedy will share a special corner of hell together”

Yeah, and Charles Manson is hanging out with Hugh Hefner…

62. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Yeah, Starship was too poppish for my tastes, especially after Gracie couldn’t sing the high notes anymore and they brought in that high-pitched guy.. Mickey somebody. Ugh. Starship’s first album was pretty good, David Crosby sang harmonies on it. But the Airplane’s stuff in the ’60s was phenomenal. I absolutely wore out Surrealistic Pillow on my turntable…. I’ve always been a big follower of Jorma Kaukonen, both his Hot Tuna days and some of his solo stuff. Reading about Balin now, I’d forgotten that Paul Kantner died a couple years ago… And finally, still one of my favorite videos to watch is White Rabbit at Woodstock. Grace was just glowing… I’m sure in more ways than one.

• zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:48 pm

Yeah, I don’t have much use for the band just called Starship. Balin had left.
      The “Freedom at Point Zero” album is pretty good, though. I consider “Jane” a nice rockin’ song.

• sandog said, on September 28, 2018 at 10:00 pm

“Find Your Way Back” do anything for you? I used to really dig that song.

• zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 10:13 pm

Nice song. Craig Chaquico is a great guitar player. Underrated. He never really got his due.

63. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:39 pm

It’s a gaudy cover, but I like it. I miss full size album cover art. I long ago gave away all of my vinyl.

64. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:51 pm

2 on, no out, and Bochy would rather have Blanco up, instead of Hanson or Shaw.
    That’s just the way Bochy is.

• Macdog said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:55 pm

Between Blanco and the Specs move, Bochy ain’t having a good night using the bench.

65. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:53 pm

Lots of wasted opportunities.

66. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 28, 2018 at 9:55 pm

Like most Flappers, I had hoped the boys of this meaningless summer would somehow cobble together a remarkable last weekend and do something… meaningful, like beat LA. Looks like that was hoping for too much.

67. Bozo said, on September 28, 2018 at 10:08 pm

Dyson comes up big there.

68. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 10:17 pm

Just looked it up- Jefferson Starship became Starship after Kantner left. That happened later than I thought.

69. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 10:21 pm

I’ve been listening to The Clash’s “Sandanista” album. It’s grown on me a lot over the years. I initially didn’t get the album too much, but now it really stands on its own, for me, as tremendous. Musically great, and lyrically awesome.

70. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 10:26 pm

The Clash could write such emotionally moving lyrics.

The towers of London, these crumbling rocks
    Reality estates that the hero’s got
    And every hour’s maked by the chime of a clock
    And whatcha gonna do when the darkness surrounds?
    You can piss in the lifts which have broken down
    You can watch from the debris the last bedroom light
    We’re invisible here just past midnight
    The wives hate their husbands and their husbands don’t care
    Their children daub slogans to prove they lived there
    A giant pipe organ up in the air
    You can’t live in a home which should not have been built
    By the bourgeois clerks who bear no guilt
    When the wind hits this building this building it tilts
    One day it will surely fall to the ground…
    Fear is just another commodity here
    They sell us peeping holes to peek when we hear
    A bang on the door resoundingly clear
    Who would really want to move in here?
    The children play faraway, the corridors are bare
    This room is a cage it’s like captivity
    How can anyone exist in such misery?
    It has been said not only here
    “Allianza dollars are spent
    To raise the towering buildings
    For the weary bones of the workers
    To go back in the morning
    To be strong in the morning”

71. Bozo said, on September 28, 2018 at 10:37 pm

Ah shit.

72. Macdog said, on September 28, 2018 at 10:37 pm

Memo to the Rox: If you wanna win the West, you better win out.

73. zumiee said, on September 28, 2018 at 10:40 pm

Probably no accident the Giants game reminded me of a song about crumbling buildings.

74. pawliekokonuts said, on September 28, 2018 at 10:47 pm

I still listen to After Bathing at Baxter’s and Bless Its Pointed Little Head. Some of the best albums of that era. I was more into the Airplane than the Dead. In the 3rd row at Fillmore East, Gracie was singing to ME. They had, circa 1968-69, one of the greatest openings, electrifying: picture a paper screen across the stage with silhouette drawings of the band members; you hear them warming up, then they rip through the paper in real life, popping through the individual silhouettes, singing It’s No Secret or 3/5 of Mile. I would love to see it on YouTube, but can’t equal it; the surprise of their entrance was terrific. Marty and Gracie needed each other. I had no interest in all those post-Airplane morphs.

75. pawliekokonuts said, on September 28, 2018 at 10:47 pm

What a downer, boring game.