Post Season Madness

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 2, 2018

Idiot Puig predicted the Dodgers will win the WS this year. That’s awesome, his dumbass just confirmed their 3rd straight decade of losing…..

Thirty years since those dopes won anything. What were you guys doing 30 years ago? I was traipsing through a Parisian meadow with the fair Dawn-Marie. That was another lifetime ago.

How great is it gonna be when the A’s slap the Yankees around tomorrow? Gotta think the Rockies lose today, right?

1. Flavor said, on October 2, 2018 at 6:28 am

40 years ago today….I have vague memories of this. When you watch this clip it’s incredible. The announcer basically gives Dent no chance saying “Dent has to bat for himself.” Then he fouls a ball off his foot and can’t walk for a few moments. Then he changes bats for some reason. He’s choking up like a mother fucker. And then….GONE!

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 6:43 am

When he fouled the ball off of himself, the trainer sprayed that junk on him that they don’t use anymore. The freeze spray.

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 2:55 pm

I think it was Mickey Rivers’ bat that he used…

2. blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 6:57 am

In a perverse way, I was glad the Rockies crapped out yesterday on the Division playoff game with the Bums . . . Since their inception, they’ve NEVER won the Division crown. This shit is a great smack down response to my Colorado friends when they start talking shit about the Sherpas . . . The only thing worse is what you mentioned Flav about the Bums going 0 for 30 years on World Series trophies. HAHAHA . . . 🙂

3. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:04 am

4. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:07 am

• blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:17 am

I wonder if this is at my Lakewood library?

• Flavor said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:24 am

There’s a lot going on on that book cover.

5. blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:17 am

Off topic – In 1990, the US was ranked 6th in education and health care. Today, it’s 27th, a study says. I look around and that explains a lot of things . . . .

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:27 am

It’s really sad what’s happened to the History Channel, Discovery Channel, A&E, Biography Channel, etc. They’ve gone from great to garbage. All in the pursuit of higher ratings and more $. Completely threw away their reasons for existing in the first place.

• blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:46 am

I haven’t watched television on a regular basis since 2011 or 2012 (I cut the cord). However, the reasons you cited were occurring back than too. That coupled with the News channels (especially cable) passing off opinion as news was my “line in the sand.” The obfuscation by the media is overwhelming, especially when you consider that most people I suspect are not intellectually capable of discerning truth from fiction.

6. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:33 am

I just finished reading a very good book called “It’s Worse Than You Think.” No, it’s not about the current Giants. 🙂 It’s a close analysis of the current president and his administration.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:45 am

Correction on the book title. It’s called “It’s Even Worse Than You Think.”

• Lurker John said, on October 2, 2018 at 4:07 pm

You think every book that bashes Trump is a “very good book.” You get 6 more years of it, so you’d better get comfortable and settle in.

7. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:21 am

Blade, I think you can draw a line from the Reagan presidency and state that this was the point in time when the government stopped giving a shit about the people and went all-in on saber rattling, defense spending, and lining their pockets at the cost of serving the people.

The effects were very slow to take but all you have to do is look at most inner cities to see how giving up on the disadvantaged only leads to strife and turmoil. All the civil rights work and progress made through the 60s and 70s was undone by Reagan, defense spending, trying to bankrupt the USSR, and the shutting down of county mental health facilities. Inner city job programs were cut, and the severing all the safety nets for low income folks slowly turned the inner cities back into gang-led war zones. Schools don’t get enough money, education suffers. jobs go away, crime goes up, kids are thrown in jail as they have fewer options available. As each generation has less options, things get worse. And the cycle continues.

• blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:35 am

Good post unca . . . You see this sort of stuff happening in 3rd world countries. Sad.

• unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:48 am

Yup. Following Venezuela down the rabbit hole.

8. Flavor said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:39 am

not that funny but a great pic

9. alleykat69 said, on October 2, 2018 at 10:16 am

I like the Rockies with Kyle Freeman on the mound tonight even on short rest the guys been nails the last month.Cubs are in a funk scoring.

• Flavor said, on October 2, 2018 at 11:55 am

eh, not me. I think Chi wins this one

10. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 11:42 am

Yeah, DJ, you had to buy 6-7 albums at full price within a year, and you HAD to waive off the featured album of the month (or week?) and send the card back. I was fairly diligent and did the minimum to get the albums I wanted. The pickings were slim for the most part. IIRC I got Little Queen by Heart, Grand Illusion by Styx, a Foreigner album, Brain Salad Surgery by ELP. and the rest I can’t remember. I still have s couple of those.

• sandog said, on October 2, 2018 at 11:59 am

I did one those deals as well. Seemed like such a 70’s thing, but I later saw a rerun of Leave it To Beaver where The Beav himself got caught up in one of those deals and Wally had to set him straight about what a scam it was.

11. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 11:59 am

Pretty funny story about ripping off Columbia House and their CD scam.

12. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 12:14 pm

Reagan made cuts to financial aid for college students. I went from getting $400 a month to getting 0$ a month. I made it through college eventually, but it just made it harder to do it.
    He’s not my favorite president, I’ll say.
    Aid to college students went back up during the Clinton years. Teacher salaries also went up during the Clinton years.

13. wilcojoe said, on October 2, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Did everyone read their annual end of year letter from Uncle Larry?

• xoot said, on October 2, 2018 at 1:14 pm

I was just about to ask. Full and uninspiring? That’s how I read it

• xoot said, on October 2, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Dull and uninspiring. Sorry

14. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 1:33 pm

Yet another article stating they need to do more than tweaks. Then says here are the tweaks.

Bochy bemoaning Duggar is funny since he didn’t bother to bring him up fast enough.

• blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 2:25 pm

It’s also absurd because it’s untrue . . . Read this:

“My biggest disappointment in all this was Duggar, obviously,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “This was an area we had trouble in, at the top of the order, and he was getting ready to go into that role. He was coming around. It’s a shame we lost him.”

If you go to Baseball Reference, his OBP, essentially a key stat for a top of the order starter – didn’t move much. In fact, it went down from where he started in August (.324 . . . which is putrid and ended up at .303, which is comparable to dried dog shit).

15. mrsprtdude said, on October 2, 2018 at 1:45 pm

They choked harder in 93 so i have no love lost for the Rockies but they still don’t have a Div crown because we rolled over this weekend. Grr

My prediction..Dodgers Brewers in NLCS Boston Astros..Atros win the whole thing again

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 2:48 pm

By winning yesterday, Dodger’s got themselves the easier bracket. They should beat the Braves. I would be flabbergasted if the Braves won that series. Hey, flabbergasted is a pretty cool word.

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 2:58 pm

16. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 3:16 pm

I can totally see the point that the Cubs are probably the best team to oust the Dodgers in the NL, but It would also be pretty cool to see them eliminated tonight. They are such an arrogant, pompous organization, and are just flat-out annoying. It’s annoying how their TV broadcaster always says “Cubs win, Cubs win” after the Cubs win, because Harry Carry used to say it twice: “Cubs win, Cubs win,” and those midwestern fans like things to operate in a lock-step never-changing way. The broadcaster, if he had the guts, should mess with those fans and just do it once: “Cubs win,” and hear the complaints of the fans on talk-radio. “He only said it once!! What an outrage!!”

17. Lurker John said, on October 2, 2018 at 4:05 pm

I was watching the Dent game. One of the great moments in baseball history, if only because of its improbability. Off of big Mike Torrez. Bucky Fucking Dent indeed.

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 4:19 pm

A year after Torrez as a Yankee beat LA to clinch the WS in the Reggie game…

• Lurker John said, on October 2, 2018 at 4:36 pm

How’s that for coming full circle? lol

18. blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 4:23 pm

There’s not much that I like or agree with when it comes to Tommy Lasorda, but this quote from him to Dave Roberts during last season’s World Series game 6 aftermath is spot on. Read and heed Rooster . . .

19. Flavor said, on October 2, 2018 at 5:07 pm

I don’t care who wins tonight. I suppose I’d like to see Colorado just because it’d be new

20. gianthead said, on October 2, 2018 at 5:23 pm

Re Blade point about television being in the crapper…buddy, we are in the golden age of television!!! 5-10 of the greatest shows in the history of television have been on the air in the last 5-7 years…

Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Stranger Things, Walking Dead (should have ended couple of years ago), first season of Ozark, Narcos, Man in the High Castle (season 3 starting Friday)….what others am I missing? I never watched Mad Men and could not take Kevin Spacey’s faux South Carolinian accent in House of Cards, but I could see people picking those 2 in a top 10.

I am adding Better Call Saul, just love that show. Rockies should have struck for more runs here in the first against the Cubs…

• Flavor said, on October 2, 2018 at 5:30 pm

i’ve never seen one episode of any of those shows.

• gianthead said, on October 2, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Missing the absolute best entertainment television has ever been able to offer…quality is off the charts…

21. gianthead said, on October 2, 2018 at 5:46 pm

I’m too tired to get into a political discussion here, but look at the numbers. GDP is twice what Obama’s average quarters were and may get stronger. Consumer confidence is at 20 year highs. Stock market set new highs this week with the new NAFTA deal. We have heard 20 years complaints of Chinese theft of technology, cheating on trade and more and this is the first President confronting Chinese economic hostility. I could go on and on about durable goods orders, record low unemployment numbers, etc etc etc. These are just simple factual evidence of a bettering and strengthening economy.

Yeah we are really screwing this country…

By any fair look at economic forecasts, we are at 20 year highs. One could argue about domestic spending for urban areas, education, transportation, health care and such. It was never intended to be the responsibility of the federal government to take care of the people except for its collective defense. But it was the intended job for states and localities to actually take care of their people.

Look at where I live in Virginia. Quality of public education is exceptional and would guess teacher salaries is maybe a little above average. We pass tax bill’s for needed construction projects our economy is booming. Amazon may put their 2nd HQ in the country am now living in. State budget is consistently balanced and not much poverty. Health care is driven by coverage via employment. More competition would actually improve coverage but insurance is more of the problem in my mind than the health care itself.

• xoot said, on October 2, 2018 at 5:57 pm

The republicans threw this country and half the world into the garbage in 2008 (and the rich criminals who got richer walked). 8 years of recovery might pay off now unless the rich take this opportunity to sack the system again. Wow. Is that’s what’s happening? Count on it

• unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 6:33 pm

Yes, nothing existed before 11/9/2016. Name a jobs program initiated by the republicans. Obama had 148 jobs bills shot down by the Republican controlled congress. Name anything the republicans have passed for the people of the country, GH.

• unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 6:49 pm

In other words, the economy recovered under Obama DESPITE Republican obstructionism for 6 years.

• gianthead said, on October 2, 2018 at 6:58 pm

Permanent estate tax cuts!!!

• xoot said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:20 pm

speaking of estate taxes, this summarizes a NYT article today: “Trump inherited his family’s wealth through fraud and questionable tax schemes, receiving the equivalent today of at least $413 million from his father’s real estate empire. . . .Trump and his siblings used fake corporations to hide financial gifts from his parents, which helped his father claim millions in tax deductions. Trump also helped his parents undervalue their real estate holdings by hundreds of millions of dollars when filing their tax returns. In total, Fred and Mary Trump transferred more than a $1 billion in wealth to their children and paid a total of $52.2 million in taxes (about 5%) instead of the $550+ million they should have owed under the 55% tax rate imposed on gifts and inheritances. Trump also “earned” $200,000 a year in today’s dollars starting at age 3 from his father’s companies. After college, Trump received the equivalent of $1 million a year, which increased to $5 million a year when he was in his 40s and 50s.” Make America Grift Again.

• gianthead said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:21 pm

Chuck, if Obama had any economic policies of any note than why why did the economy slug along at 2% or less on average his whole presidency. Average recoveries after recessions over the last 100 years on average tripled Obama’s numbers. What did Obama do in 8 years with the trillions in overseas funds that US companies had refused to repatriate back to the US because of high taxes???? Nada, zippo nothing. We accomplished that in the the first year as part of the tax package. Now all these companies brought those trillions back at a low tax rate and then hopefully have hundreds of billions to re-invest. That is why GDP has doubled and we have been in office just 6 quarters…

• unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:33 pm

Because we were coming out of thw worst economic disaster in history, and the republicans blocked any and all meaningful legislation. Simple. e were shedding 800,000 jobs a month at the time Obama took over.

22. sandog said, on October 2, 2018 at 5:48 pm

I admire that you have a perfect game going on those. I’ve scattered a few hits, but have a fairly clean ledger myself.

Game of Thrones–watched 3-4 seasons. Entertained me at times, then I lost interest.
    Breaking Bad–watched 2-3 episodes. Wasn’t for me—too over the top.
    Stranger Things-tried it, didn’t like it. (Not a fan of sci-fi, magic, dragons, zombies,spaceships etc)
    Walking Dead–never watched an episode
    Ozark-never heard of it
    Narcos–never saw it
    Man In The High Caste-never heard of it

• Flavor said, on October 2, 2018 at 6:03 pm

i have friends that swear by Ozark, whatever that is. I’m more into comedies. Silicon Valley is the best show on TV in my limited opinion

• gianthead said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Hard to go wrong with Jason Bateman, especially with him as the money launderer to a Mexican drug cartel…

• gianthead said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:00 pm

Spend some more time on Netflix…another one…a western named Godless…Man in High Castle is on Amazon

23. xoot said, on October 2, 2018 at 6:07 pm

I sorta like this espn2 statcast version of this game. Avoids the regular announcers too

24. alleykat69 said, on October 2, 2018 at 6:27 pm

I did like the pilot of Manifest where families on vacation end up taking 2 different flights home to the same destination due to overbooking and end up 5 years older in their lives then the original flight, changing lives forever..

25. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Loved Breaking Bad and Sopranos
    Like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead
    Kinda liked Homeland and House of Cards but lost interest in both
    Better call Saul? Great writing but it is dragging
    Man in the High Castle was a great book. 1st year of show i saw. Meh.

Never heard of Ozark, Narcos, seen some of SV.

26. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 6:49 pm

Numbers that GH isn’t going to mention are those regarding what Trump has done to the budget deficit.
    Republicans scream about the deficit and national debt when a Democrat is president, but it’s nothing but the sound of crickets when a Republican is president.
    Obama had halved the budget deficit of Bush, Jr., but Trump just brought it way up again.
    With the Trump trade wars, we’re going to be borrowing more money from China to pay American farmers not to sell stuff to China! Is that making America great or what.

• blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:24 pm

I think they should have a nation wide referendum on splitting the USA into two halves – one conservative and one liberal . . . Umm, maybe 3 – add another one called “middle of the road.” I actually think people would approve this. Of course, liberals, conservatives and middle of the road folks would have to be compensated for their property. For example, let’s say you’re a liberal in Alabama (which undoubtedly would be right in the middle of the new “United States of Make America Great Again”) – you would want to be compensated fairly for your property, along with moving costs to the new “United States of Liberals.” 🙂

• gianthead said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:27 pm

You are dead on there but it has not been Trump it is the Republicans in Congress. When the President has threatened to veto approps bills, McConnell and Ryan push for more spending because they are more fearful of a govt shutdown. Trump will not be so easy to go along next year about spending.

If I had my way, govt funding would be cut at least by a third, including going back to the past cuts for defense, and I would close or consolidate a number of federal departments. The federal workforce is so large that is suffocating. I would force as much as early retirement as possible to reduce that workforce…especially the civilian workers in defense…

• unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:07 pm

It was Trump’s tax cuts that instantly added $1.5 trillion to the deficit. And last Friday, another $3.1 trillion in tax cuts have been added to the deficit. Yeah, that’s real tough. Do you pay in to Social Security? Or don’t you give a shit about the republicans raiding that?

How many jobs bills have the Republicans passed in the past 8 years? Zilch. Zip. Nada.

Jesus. Spare me.

27. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 2, 2018 at 6:53 pm

Ozark is great, especially upon second viewing (I’m a big binge-watcher). Shameless is hysterical, one of my favs. Season 9 on now. I have a little annual binge-fest of Breaking Bad, every summer. Funny thing is, I never watch any of these on TV, it’s all streamed now… I’m guessing that’s what Steve is talking about, having unplugged from TV….

• blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Yes. You can find all television series, sporting events and 1st run movies on pirate internet sites. Although I mostly watch movies, I occasionally will watch television series. Like you, I binge watch them (if I like them initially). Breaking Bad – which snarkk recommended, was a good series in my opinion. The other one I have watched is Walking Dead. I forgot who told me about that one.

• unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:07 pm

Its os getting long but the first 5 seasons are really good.

28. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:01 pm

The key to any show (and novel) is if we care about the characters. Breaking Bad is so popular because people cared so much about the characters.
    Also what caught up viewers was the relentless logic of the unfolding story. Everything seemed to legitimately set up what happened next. It was great storytelling. The actors were all terrific. There are certain moments forever etched in our minds. Viewers sometimes had to stagger through the week after seeing certain episodes.
    And there was humor, also. Plenty of laugh-outloud comedy relief moments.

29. blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:05 pm

Wow! Dahl reminded me of Pence on that play. Looks like he might have lost it in the lights.

30. alleykat69 said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:06 pm

Jesus David Dahl looked like Hunter Pence on that screwup play in RF!!

• blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:07 pm

lol AK . . . You read my mind.

31. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:07 pm

How about a little love for “Justified”? Admittedly the final season didn’t have the tight storytelling and memorable guest actors the other seasons had. The final episode did wrap things up well.
    Raylon was the role of a lifetime for Tim Olyphant.

32. alleykat69 said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Great minds think alike huh Blade lol 😂

• blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Thumbs up AK!

33. alleykat69 said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:12 pm

I’m digging Freeman’s overall grit!
    Had him winning this game.His pitch count is low enough, if I’m Black I ride this horse to the end.,
    He was lights out his last 8 starts.

34. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:13 pm

I agree that Better Call Saul is dragging this season. The passing of a pivotal character seems to leave the show without the thing that that was the center. I’m kind of tiring of the show, and I didn’t think that would happen.

35. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:20 pm

I am so looking forward to rewatching West Wing someday. Great show, with awesome storylines, dialogue, and actors. I’m waiting until I’ve forgotten enough to make much of it seem new again.
    I dig all the Sorkin shows, which include Sports Night, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, and The Newsroom.

36. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:27 pm

One of my favorite comedies, “The Middle,” ended last season. “Modern Family” is still a good one. “Big Bang Theory” seems more hit and miss lately. “Mom” is a funny, poignant show.
    “Loudermilk” is funny, if you can find it. The latest season of “Brockmire” was hit and miss.
    I was sorry to see “Portlandia” end.

37. blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:33 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that in my entire life. Almost as rare as Pence hitting the ball 3 times on one pitch.

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Happened to me in LL. I knocked the catcher’s glove literally half way to the mound.
      I didn’t know what the hell I made contact with at first…

38. alleykat69 said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:33 pm

WTF what a bonehead play by the catcher..

39. alleykat69 said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Yes Sir!!
    Eat Crow CUBS!

40. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Both parties are guilty of worshipping “economic growth” as the answer to everything. The problem is that it’s not sustainable, and it destroys the environment.

41. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:55 pm

A politically aware friend of mine says Trump has crippled Al-Qaeda.
    At least I think that’s what he said…

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:56 pm

Or was it ISIS? I wasn’t listening that closely…

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:03 pm

On just about all military strategy, it’s a continuation of the Obama policies. A few slight changes. And Obama didn’t change all that much from the last year of Bush, Jr. The policies are mostly containment policies.
        The big difference is Trump’s behavior towards Russia. That’s a whole other subject.

42. xoot said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:58 pm

Trump will go down. If we’re lucky it will occur after he gets demolished in the 2020 election

43. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:59 pm

Jesus. Do you guys think these announcers want the Cubs to win?

• blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm

Yeah, that wasn’t exactly subtle . . . Just imagine if it was New York or Boston (multiply exponentially).

44. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 7:59 pm

I hate night games at Wrigley.
    My refrigerator has better lighting…

45. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:09 pm

A broken clock is right twice a day. I agree with Trump that the Iraq War was a pointless, tragic, expensive fiasco. I opposed it from the beginning.

• unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:20 pm

In truth, Trump didn’t oppose the war until 18 months after it started.

• unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:22 pm

One day into the invasion of Iraq, Trump appeared on Neil Cavuto’s Fox News program. He did not criticize or condemn the war effort, calling it instead a tremendous success:

CAVUTO: What do you make of, just, how Wall Street’s been reacting to what our military guys have been doing?

TRUMP: Well, I think Wall Street’s waiting to see what happens but even before the fact they’re obviously taking it a little bit for granted and it looks like a tremendous success from a military standpoint and I think this is really nothing compared to what you’re gonna see after the war is over.

46. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:16 pm

Yeah, I liked the Middle as well. Modern Family and Big Bang IMO are both getting stale. Mom has some good moments.

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:19 pm

I’m a big MF fan but it shoulda wrapped up a good 2 years ago…

47. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:17 pm

I watch “House of Cards,” although I’ve almost stopped a few times. Just about all the characters are rotten people. I guess I keep watching to see if justice will be served on them.
    Spacey getting fired threw a curve at the final season. It’ll be interesting to see how the show deals with that.

48. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:18 pm

As much as my family is all about the Cubs, fuck ’em. I can’t take this shit.

49. sandog said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:18 pm

Can someone fact check Zumie’s claim that Obama REDUCED the deficit Bush left him? If that is true, I’d love to know. I don’t follow this stuff that closely, but I thought Obama hyperspaced the deficit worse than anyone before or since. I thought he put more crap on the credit card than my ex-wife after 2 Cosmo’s at Horton Plaza.

• blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:25 pm

The national debt under Obama grew by about $9 trillion, or an increase of 86%.

Some of this debt is attributable to bills passed by Obama’s predecessor, George W. Bush, since the federal government’s fiscal year budget operate differently from the calendar year. Also, both Bush and Obama rolled out large investment bills to help the US recover from the depths of the 2008 financial crisis.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:26 pm

You answered that better than I did. 🙂

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:25 pm

You’re thinking of the national debt. It doubled under Obama, but that included the expensive Iraq War which wasn’t his fault. And it took a while to raise taxes on rich people. The debt doubled under Bush, Jr. It TRIPLED under Reagan.
      Under Trump?…..

• unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:30 pm

And the war in Afghanistan.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:33 pm

• blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Yes, I was addressing the debt. Regarding the deficit – Unlike the trillion dollar budget deficits that occurred during the Obama administration that were temporary and largely the result of the Great Recession, the Trump deficits that will soon reach and exceed $1 trillion are permanent and will only get worse in the years ahead.

The Trump deficits are the result of changes in federal spending and revenue that will continue to be in place until some president and Congress decide to reverse them, that is, to increase taxes and make cuts to popular programs. In simple language – say bye bye (or at least recognize big cuts are coming) to social security, medicare, welfare, etc. In other words, the bill will be due for that big tax cut Trump approved.

• unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Year over year spending came way down under Obama because the war in Iraq ended on his watch. That alone saved hundreds of billions.

• xoot said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:28 pm

There’s a concise Forbes article that addresses that in detail, available online

50. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:26 pm

These guys better saran wrap the booth.

51. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:28 pm

This “debt clock” is interesting. And kind of mesmerizing. It’s loaded with information.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:31 pm

It looks like the national debt is going up about $1 million per minute.

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:34 pm

It’s the launch angle, Zum…

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:43 pm

It does seem like something from NASA.

• blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:45 pm

Man, a lot of stuff happening on that page.

52. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Jessica has very little to say tonight…

• blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:40 pm

Is she the softball player???

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:42 pm

Yes she is, Blade…

53. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:38 pm

Defense spending is so far out of whack, it’s a fucking government jobs program. We build billion dollar tanks no one wants or needs so they rust away in the AZ desert. We build planes and ships that the defense department neither asks for or needs.

54. Macdog said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:38 pm

Cubs tie it after runner gets to second on a stolen base that didn’t draw a throw. That’s the kind of play we saw teams do all too often against the Giants, but to see it in a do-or-die playoff game? Yikes.

55. Macdog said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:42 pm

And some strange moves by Black. First he takes his starting catcher out of the game, and now Blackmon.

• blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:48 pm

I wonder if Blackmon is injured? It doesn’t make sense to take him out otherwise.

56. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:46 pm

He took Blackmon out? Just started watching.

57. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:49 pm

Rox thunder coming up…

58. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Need a Colobomb.

59. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:54 pm

I have a hard time hearing Jessica because of the crowd noise volume being turned up so high.

60. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:56 pm

Parra’s the type of FA the Giants go after…

61. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:58 pm

One more doink . . .

62. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 8:59 pm

Shit.

63. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:03 pm

Agree that the characters make the show. The Wire receives raves, but I just didn’t care about the characters. It’s why I love Shameless, extraordinarily whacky characters. If you have free time to binge something rather escapist, I liked Black Sails a lot — fiction combined with real non-fiction pirate characters and real political events at the time of Britain controlling the Caribbean, set as a pre-quel to Stevenson’s Treasure Island. You get to see the evolution of John Silver and Captain Flint, plus some real-lifers like Blackbeard, Calico Jack Rackham, etc. I guess you gotta somewhat be into pirates. It started slow but the characters really grew. Arrgh, matey…

• unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm

The Wire was very hit-and miss. The first season I really liked. Not so much the 2nd, but the 3rd was really good. All in all I liked it when they kept to the Stringer Bell story.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Never heard of Black Sails. Sounds like a show I’d like.
      I like The Wire a lot.

64. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:05 pm

The walk is more important than the game-tying double? Really? These announcers are daft.

65. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:06 pm

It may work out for him, but Maddon’s a dunderhead…

66. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Organist cleverly playing “I Could’ve Danced All Night” right after that play…

67. blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:16 pm

Brew crew praying for 20 innings at least. Ha.

68. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:28 pm

The ballpark was playing “Sweet Emotion.” That album was everywhere back in the day. Even I had the “Toys In the Attic” album.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:31 pm

R.E.M. did a punk-ish cover of the title track.

69. alleykat69 said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Yeah I have no idea why Black pulled Blackmon but that was stupid!
    I would of been pissed 😡 off, in a elimination game and I got yanked!

70. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Zum, about Black Sails, I had Wikipedia open on my phone as I watched every episode, trying to discern what was fiction in the storyline and what had really happened in Nassau (New Providence) with the real people, British governors, colonists, and pirates alike. I actually learned a lot about that era, probably the most true-life depiction of the whole pirate era that I’d seen. Jack Sparrow it ain’t.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:52 pm

I should be able to get it on Netflix.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:55 pm

Yes, that’s where I watched it.

71. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:40 pm

As for this game, I don’t really care who wins, just interested in seeing *someone* take out LA again. Hoping the Braves play over their heads in that series but I have my doubts. In the AL, Yanks at Fenway or A’s at Fenway should be a great series, either way.

72. blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:48 pm

ARod “Think small and big things will happen.” Not exactly Tony Robbins.

73. blade3colorado said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:50 pm

Give the broadcast crew credit . . . They actually got excited for the Sherpas.

74. alleykat69 said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:50 pm

Damm how about them Rockies!!

75. zumiee said, on October 2, 2018 at 9:53 pm

That was the sound of 40,000 sphincters tightening.