Dynasty Averted

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 3, 2018

Some mentions at the end of the last thread on the difficulty of winning 3 in 5 and how quickly it can all start to slip away. I still don’t understand what happened to Chicago. That line up is stacked and yet….they really can’t hit. The Cubs have a lot of guys who over-clap loudly after getting a walk or a basehit and they have guys who have gold chains flying all over the place after they strike someone out. But after that….

Regardless it’s nice to see a new team strutting their stuff. Good luck to the Rox.

Tonight we get a bullpen game! Lot’s of complaining about this on twitter, I think it’s cool. Look, the A’s starting pitching sucks. Why not go with your strength to get to multi-game series. THIS is the best *guy* they have. THIS IS their best shot.

Sadly, we’re going to pay the piper for a long, long time for our incredible 3 in 5 run. Time to watch other teams chase the dream that is our forever reality. I’m not bitter about it, actually it’s the opposite. I’m incredibly thankful for the run we had and if that’s the last time I get to watch the Giants in the World Series I’m ok with that.

1. zumiee said, on October 3, 2018 at 6:51 am

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2018 at 6:56 am

Scrapping the bottom of the Google image barrel with this one, eh?

• zumiee said, on October 3, 2018 at 7:06 am

Yeah, I can do better.

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2018 at 8:15 am

Much better

2. zumiee said, on October 3, 2018 at 7:15 am

Great point about the Cubs having a bunch of hotdogs on the team. Especially Contreras. He broke the record for biggest celebration for a two-out walk with one runner on base.

• zumiee said, on October 3, 2018 at 7:28 am

He obliterated the record actually.
      He celebrated like he’d just walked in the winning run.
      All he did was leave it to some other poor schmuck to try to get a clutch hit.
      (spoiler alert: the poor schmuck didn’t get the hit)

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2018 at 7:33 am

that was wild. I understand trying to fire your team up but if all your team does is over-clap and shake their gold chains all over their own faces and necks…..and then nobody does something of substance. Well, now we’re just talking about “look at me!!!!!”. And it’s just a show at that point.

3. snarkk said, on October 3, 2018 at 7:43 am

I’ve decided to root for the Stros. Assuming a new competent front office for SF, Altuve & Co is Exhibit A for the reason to suffer a few years of tear-down…

4. snarkk said, on October 3, 2018 at 7:51 am

I’m in Phoenix on business since Sunday. Raining essentially the whole time. Weird. The sports talk radio here is urging a tear down for the Dbacks. Corbin and Pollock expected gone, and Goldy not expected to stay after his 2019 walk season…

• zumiee said, on October 3, 2018 at 8:47 am

Fans across MLB are weary of veteran players who get paid a lot and under-produce.

5. zumiee said, on October 3, 2018 at 8:50 am

Reading Baer’s message, there seemed to be a subtext of him being fed up with all the injuries the Giants keep having. He mentioned player health, training, and nutrition.

6. gianthead said, on October 3, 2018 at 9:18 am

I’m with you flav. After the first, I said that was all I needed for the rest of my life. Two more was desert and a cigar on top of it.

I’m really excited about the Brew Crew, including Kavanaugh being a Member, primarily because of my bet it always will root for the team who has never won anything…as long not against one of our teams.

I felt asleep in the 8th last night and woke up bottom of the 12th but turned in. Should have just stayed up for the next inning. The Rockies should be well spent and ready for a Brew Crew sweep. I’m not worried about the Flodgers and Kershaw in a 7 game series with the bullpen the Brewers have. And that starting 3 of the Astros will mow down the AL imo…

• gianthead said, on October 3, 2018 at 9:21 am

The Cubs will add to their jewelry and clapping Bryce Harper…

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2018 at 9:30 am

“dessert”– *strawberry shortcake*. My 2nd grade english teacher taught me that, never forgot it

• gianthead said, on October 3, 2018 at 9:49 am

I can’t type

7. Bozo said, on October 3, 2018 at 9:22 am

Except for McCutchen, I think all of the Giants big salary guys spent time on the DL at some point last year. Even some of the replacement guys spent time on the DL, so this wasn’t only a talent drain but also a financial one for a team trying to stay under the Cap.
    Probably why they fired the Conditioning Coach first and ironically, before he went on the DL himself.

8. blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2018 at 9:29 am

Good point about the bullpen Flav, albeit, the Yankees will have a quick hook on Severino too. He imploded last year against the Twins, not lasting a 1/3 of an inning in the Wild Card game. Dollars to donuts, the same thing happens to him, where he doesn’t last 2 innings, if that. Speaking of quick hooks, if Sanchez can’t hold onto the ball, he’ll get the quick hair trigger hook too from Boone. During his last outing against the A’s, where . . . wait for it . . . Severino was pitching, he had 2-3 passed balls. No one carries 3 catchers, except the Yankees and the 2 dudes in the wings – Romine and/or Higashioka will likely get playing time this evening.

I would love to see the Yankees eliminated and watch them put pressure on the Commissioner to expand the elimination 1 game WC to a 3 game series. Personally, I like the sudden death way they do it now, but the Commish will fold on this if the Yankees get eliminated.

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2018 at 9:31 am

won’t last 2 innings? That’s a pretty ballsy call.

• blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2018 at 9:32 am

Watch. Standing by it.

9. xoot said, on October 3, 2018 at 9:49 am

ESPN2’s statcast broadcast last night was a lot more entertaining, in the long run, than the regular broadcast. I’m not sure I heard this from the stats guys there last night, might have been someone local, but the number stuck with me: the Oakland a’s have the lowest OPS in the AL vs. pitches 95 mph or higher (which is what nyy’s staff throws). If that’s right (and a quick google look this morning hasn’t confirmed it entirely for me) the a’s are in trouble. I guess they saw Severino twice during the regular season and whiffed once.

10. alleykat69 said, on October 3, 2018 at 9:55 am

No team carries 3 catcher’s in the postseason Blade?
    The Rockies do,Ianneta,Butera, and now Mr.Colorado will never have to buy a drink are dinner Wolters..

11. Flavor said, on October 3, 2018 at 10:17 am

sounds like the Yankees have Tanaka and Happ lined up ready to rock and roll if Severino doesn’t have it tonight. Severino’s a trip. Dude’s got outstanding stuff but sometimes can’t throw it where he wants it to go. Blade, I’m hearin’ your call and I guess it wouldn’t hugely surprise me if it happened but couldn’t you see him pitching a gem just as easily?

• blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2018 at 10:30 am

Oh yeah, absolutely. He’s been an excellent pitcher overall this year. I’m probably exaggerating about a 2 inning hook. That being said, like you alluded to in the opening thread, I am expecting both managers to have a hair trigger, where they rely upon their excellent bullpens if their starters implode.

AK, my bad – I should have known that about the Rockies carrying 3 (forgot about Butera).

12. zumiee said, on October 3, 2018 at 11:28 am

“see the Yankees eliminated and watch them put pressure on the Commissioner to expand the elimination 1 game WC to a 3 game series”

That absolutely could bring a change to the Wild Card format.
    We finally got replay review a several years ago because the Yankees got cheated out of an HR on a Sunday night ESPN game. The ball was inside the foul pole, and the umps ruled outside the foul pole. The ESPN cameras showed the ball clearly inside the foul pole. Voila! Next season, instant replay review!

13. unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2018 at 11:37 am

Yup. But seeing the Cubs, Dogs, AND Yanks eliminated from the playoffs will be awesome. Boston? Meh. Would like to see the Indians and Brew Crew.

3 game playoff? We’ll have a Thanksgiving World Series. and of course they’ll move that to a neutral site.

14. unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Yeah, the reliever for the Cubs who screamed and danced off the mound after doing his job in the 10th was irritating as fuck. As is all of their forced frivolity. It all looks way too self-aware. “Look at us being loose and fun!”

Oh, we lost.

And whoever the announcers were (A-Rod, Jessica the SB girl,Buster Olney, and ?) were shitty to the extreme. Olney I think said that Contreras’ walk in the 10th was more important than his double to tie the game.

Jesus. there are 5 levels of stupid in that one sentence.

15. Flavor said, on October 3, 2018 at 2:54 pm

25 years, man, seems like just yesterday.

• unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Fucking crime dog . . . reason # 1 why I hate the Pads . . . reason # 2 being Steve Garvey of course . . .

• zumiee said, on October 3, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Just looked up Torres on Baseball Reference…..
      he played 12 years in the bigs. Who knew? He won 44 games in his career.

• unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2018 at 4:05 pm

He floated around the edges of the game for a long time.

• djloo27 said, on October 3, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Feels like more than 25 to me. Mays hasn’t played in 45 years…

16. sandog said, on October 3, 2018 at 3:56 pm

Baggs tweeted that David Bell is interviewing for the Reds manager position.
    The guy many of us have been counting on to be one of the central figures in turning around this battleship is looking to bail out after one year to manage the Reds. This bothers me.

• blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Agree. He is from the Cincy area and ran their minor league system for a few years, so I can understand why he would want to go there. Nevertheless, if he has one foot in San Francisco and another looking elsewhere for another gig, that’s not good.

By the by, Tiger fan’s favorite, Brad Ausmus is also a serious candidate, as is Joe Girardi. I have to believe that Girardi has the inside track for the position.

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2018 at 4:17 pm

could be a power play to show the Giants they better move on him fast. I mean, who would really WANT to manage the Reds? If he’s trying to get SF to bail on Bochy this could be the way to do it

17. unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2018 at 4:06 pm

Yeah, that would suck. It would likely mean he doesn’t like what is going on our front office and wants out.

18. djloo27 said, on October 3, 2018 at 4:24 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if the job’s already been promised to Bam Bam…

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2018 at 4:48 pm

gotta believe that the new regime won’t stand by silently and watch that bullshit go down.

• alleykat69 said, on October 3, 2018 at 4:51 pm

I just have never seen the lovefest over Bam Bam? What because he can speak 7 languages are whatever?
      Cause in any language he spoke to the players they still all sucked!

19. alleykat69 said, on October 3, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Giants supposedly linked to Brewers asst GM Matt Arnold, David Stearns right hand man.Stearns has turned the Brewers around in only 3 years..
    Arnold has the background the Giants are looking for, strong in scouting talent,new modern thinking( boy that would be a major plus for the Giants heh heh) Antalitic skills etc.
    Wouldn’t surprise me at all whoever the new GM is will blowup the scouting Dept as well, wanting his own people.Bell’s probably getting out instead of sticking around to be a lame duck,can’t blame him..

20. Macdog said, on October 3, 2018 at 5:19 pm

Good night, A’s.

21. xoot said, on October 3, 2018 at 5:20 pm

yeah the yanks look ready to rip, a lot

22. alleykat69 said, on October 3, 2018 at 5:21 pm

So much for bullpen by committee.
    Judge sent that pitch into orbit..

23. Macdog said, on October 3, 2018 at 5:21 pm

Pitchers named Hendricks/Hendriks not looking too sharp in the wild-card games.

24. xoot said, on October 3, 2018 at 5:21 pm

Scott Sharp of the Royals sort of stands out every time I see a list of prospective new VP/GMs. Just a hunch.

25. snarkk said, on October 3, 2018 at 6:03 pm

A’s can score in bunches. They can be 4 or 5 down late and not be done…

• Macdog said, on October 3, 2018 at 6:03 pm

They also seem to K in bunches.

26. snarkk said, on October 3, 2018 at 6:07 pm

IDK who is leading the search effort for the new VP of baseball. Baer? I hope Sabean has no role in it. I don’t blame Bell keeping options open with the uncertainty coming into the front office…

27. wilcojoe said, on October 3, 2018 at 6:50 pm

I like TBS’ subtle strike zone. Sometimes less is more.

28. snarkk said, on October 3, 2018 at 7:03 pm

McCutcheon AB = Phhtttttt. I haven’t followed him one bit since the trade. Totally forgettable Giant; the answer to a future Giants trivia question…

29. djloo27 said, on October 3, 2018 at 7:09 pm

I think by mid April, Zumie was referring to Jackson, Longoria and McCutchen as “The 3 Duds”.
    Flappy worthy, IMO…

30. Macdog said, on October 3, 2018 at 7:15 pm

Fernando Rodney in a do-or-die game, seriously?

31. unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Not looking good for the fuckin’ A’s.

32. unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2018 at 7:31 pm

He’s out. A mini pfffft anyway

• alleykat69 said, on October 3, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Not in NY who controls the reviews, it’s a guarantee score..

33. snarkk said, on October 3, 2018 at 7:36 pm

A’s dependably sucking again in post season…

34. Macdog said, on October 3, 2018 at 8:20 pm

How does a team win 97 games and not have a starting pitcher capable enough to take the ball in a one-game playoff?

• djloo27 said, on October 3, 2018 at 9:11 pm

Baseball in 2018, Mac…

35. Macdog said, on October 3, 2018 at 8:24 pm

Familia giving up a bomb in the wild-card game, where have I seen that before?

• Macdog said, on October 3, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Ooops, that was Treinen.

36. Macdog said, on October 3, 2018 at 8:37 pm

37. zumiee said, on October 3, 2018 at 8:58 pm

What a flop for the A’s tonight.

• djloo27 said, on October 3, 2018 at 9:10 pm

They have a great year and wind up playing one more game than the Orioles and all the other trash.
      The system needs a little fixing…

38. mrsprtdude said, on October 3, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Smoltz has a plan. Play 2 halves and get 6 winners. Top 2 records get byes. Been a while since i read it. Looks interesting.

Re SF..Bring on the brewers guy!

39. snarkk said, on October 3, 2018 at 9:59 pm

You can say this WC game is exciting in theory, but if it’s a blowout, the fans of the team blown out have to feel ripped off— all that fan fever for a season, and not even one home post season game as a payoff…

• djloo27 said, on October 3, 2018 at 10:01 pm

The system sucks except when it works for us…