Madness

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 4, 2018

The A’s laid an egg last night and that’s a bummer for them but I still love the wild card format. Give me two Game 7 sudden death games to start the season and if a team like the A’s have to gimmick their way through the game then they have to suffer the consequences when it doesn’t work out. Bullpening the game was the best chance they had. If they couldn’t set it up to have one reliable starter take the mound then they really didn’t deserve to go much further than they did anyway. In the off season they should focus on building a legitimate pitching staff.

Winning the division should be a big reward. I like that the division winners get to kick back like kings and watch the surfs battle it out in the streets. The other option would be to realign the divisions to 4 in each league but you’d need to add a team to each league. Then you would have two leagues, 4 teams in 4 divisions. I actually would be fine with that. Get rid of the wild card that way and just go back to winning your division like men to make the post season.

But since that isn’t going to happen….

1. zumiee said, on October 4, 2018 at 6:24 am

• Flavor said, on October 4, 2018 at 7:00 am

Unexpected gold at what I thought was the end of the rainbow

• zumiee said, on October 4, 2018 at 7:12 am

A good one to end it with. 🙂

• Flavor said, on October 4, 2018 at 7:40 am

i tried that with BBOTD’s, it took me two years to quit that shit

• zumiee said, on October 4, 2018 at 8:37 am

lulz!

2. zumiee said, on October 4, 2018 at 6:30 am

The Commisioner has said he’s open to more expansion. The 4 division thing in each league may happen someday. But they would still probably have a couple of Wild Cards in each league somehow. MLB will never lower the amount of teams making the playoffs. It’s at 10 now; they aren’t going to lower it to 8.

• gianthead said, on October 4, 2018 at 7:03 am

I have thought they would at some point in the the near future expand by 2 to create the 4 team balanced divisions. But the cat is out of the bag on the wild card. Don’t think they will eliminate the one game wild card. So I guess you will have to have 2 wild cards and they play the two division winners with the worst records. I guess you could have one wild card play the worst division winner…

3. gianthead said, on October 4, 2018 at 6:56 am

Happy to see the “moneyball” analytics blow up in their face last night. I thought a month ago the A’s without a legit top-tier healthy starter would have no shot in a playoff series or a one game wild card…go Brewers!

• zumiee said, on October 4, 2018 at 7:14 am

But don’t the Brewers have sort of the same problem?

• Flavor said, on October 4, 2018 at 7:41 am

well, start with the fact that they’re bullpenning today

4. alleykat69 said, on October 4, 2018 at 7:03 am

I would of went with Fiers seem if you could of gotten 4 innings out of him then go to the pen.And Rodney straighten your freaking cap you look like a lowlife gangster,,

5. Bozo said, on October 4, 2018 at 9:01 am

I think the whole Wild Card idea started after 1993, when the Giants won 103 games but didn’t win the Division.

6. alleykat69 said, on October 4, 2018 at 9:49 am

Fucking New York fans! On B/R
    One idiot Chucked a full beer on a A’s fan in the stands..

7. blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2018 at 10:30 am

I use to pray at the altar of Sabean, but quite frankly, him and Baer are both imbeciles. Especially so after I read this excerpt from a column (see link below):

“Brian Sabean will be Larry Baer’s chief adviser in the search for a new overlord, and that makes sense because there’s no reason for Sabean to not be a trusted adviser. But the entire point of the search is to bring in fresh voices, and so the idea that Baer would rely on old voices to make a determination makes the whole affair feel circumspect.”

Bottom line? There will be NO rebuild and if Sabean is involved in the decision, you can forget about them hiring a “next gen” General Manager in my opinion.

8. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2018 at 10:39 am

I wouldn’t read too much into anything coming out of Baer’s mouth. He’s a shuckster, nothing more.

I guess we will find out the direction they are going when we find out who they hire.

As for the note and this stuff? Meh. It’s only talk.

• blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2018 at 12:55 pm

“The process of identifying those candidates, at least on an informal level, already has begun.
      “We have a pretty good take through our networks (for) some of the good candidates,” Baer said. “Brian and I have talked a lot. Talked to Boch. He knows a lot of people in the game. It’s just the preparation to kind of put together a grid and then go from there.”

Uhh, they “know a lot of people” . . . Maybe they’ll bump into the future GM at a wedding. 🙂

• unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2018 at 3:03 pm

With any luck, it’ll be the pizza delivery guy.

“Thanks for the large combo. Hey, by the way, do you think the Giants should go all-in on Bryce Harper?”

9. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2018 at 11:54 am

Stay classy, New York . . .

• blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2018 at 12:14 pm

There would have been consequences had that happened with our crew – Peter, Chi, Mac, Loo and I – when we were in New York, especially Chi (who would have been throwin’ fists immediately).

10. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2018 at 12:20 pm

No shit.

11. alleykat69 said, on October 4, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Yeah POS then threw his empty cup and hit him in the head!
    Kid was identified as John Spencer, and the A’s are sending him a care package, and game tickets for next year as a A’s fan out of respect..

• unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2018 at 1:04 pm

That’s pretty cool.

• xoot said, on October 4, 2018 at 2:12 pm

the a’s have done a lot to win back their fan base lately. Moving quickly to reward this badly mistreated guy, a guy who did nothing but rep his team in the biggest game of the season, is great. Now if the a’s would only get off the lowest-payroll-in-baseball dime and sign a SP . . . .

12. blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Interesting stat . . . FanGraphs has their own formula that seeks to assign dollar value to wins above replacement. Currently, $8 million is the cost of 1 Win Above Replacement.

By that measure, the Giants’ team fWAR of 7.3 was the equivalent of a $58.4 million payroll. The Giants spent approximately $196 million on payroll this season.

13. sandog said, on October 4, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Blade and other members of that NYC crew may remember that there was a young fan (teenager) right behind Loo and I who was rather annoying and obnoxious—until it became obvious he had some sort of developmental disability. He loved his Yankees though and was very vocal.
    I still remember them playing “Welcome to the Jungle” between innings with Loo screaming along with Axl at the top of his voice. The kid was super amused by Loo doing that—-along with the rest of us.

Loo is always breaking out in song whenever I hang with him in NYC. It’s a beautiful thing.

• Flavor said, on October 4, 2018 at 2:52 pm

is an air guitar involved or is he just straight vocals?

• sandog said, on October 4, 2018 at 2:53 pm

100% vocals in both instances. Classic lead singer.

• Flavor said, on October 4, 2018 at 4:56 pm

i guess I envisioned him playing the air tamboreen like Robert Plant during Stairway to Heaven

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2018 at 9:04 pm

If only I wasn’t stuck with this Woody Allen voice…

14. sandog said, on October 4, 2018 at 2:52 pm

I think Harper will be a great litmus test of who is captaining the ship in our front office. If we go after Harper hard, then I would say Baer is calling the shots. Throwing insane money at Harper is a total Baer move IMO.
    ….and I will stick to my prediction that is what will happen. I hope I’m wrong, but I won’t be totally heartbroken if I’m not.

• unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2018 at 3:01 pm

I REALLY don’t want Harper. His numbers are way down and he will command a shit-ton of money. Besides, he’s another honky. Baseball is getting way too full of roided up crackers. The fucking Yankers are the textbook case of this. A Trump dream.

If this is the new baseball, I ain’t gonna give much of a shit if this progresses.

15. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2018 at 2:58 pm

For all the good the A’s are doing with their fan base, you’d think they’d reward their manager. He’s a shoe-in for manager of the year and the A’s are lowballing him.

• xoot said, on October 4, 2018 at 3:05 pm

they lowball everyone — he must be comfortable with the gig

16. xoot said, on October 4, 2018 at 3:17 pm

I attended a Brewers/Giants game in July. Yelich was 3-5 with a HR. Giants, of course, trying to hang at .500, lost. For some reason the thing I remember most clearly about Yelich that night was his speed on the bases. Damn that guy is fast. Pretty good otherwise, too.

• xoot said, on October 4, 2018 at 4:16 pm

he didn’t get much of a chance to show off his speed on that last play. Strange that he could hear the sound of the LD smacking off the 1B mitt, and think it’d been caught, but then couldn’t hear his own coach 10 feet away screaming go to second dammit! Crowd noise must’ve roared in, in that split second.

17. blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Foul???

• xoot said, on October 4, 2018 at 5:24 pm

by one grain of sand

18. Lurker John said, on October 4, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Where the fuck did they dig up this Jeffress POS from and why the hell is he closing? Terrible managing by Counsel.

• Flavor said, on October 4, 2018 at 5:54 pm

Counsel completely overmanaged that. Just leave Hader in there, get the win, move on.

19. Flavor said, on October 4, 2018 at 5:56 pm

Costas is so bad. I’m watching this one with the sound off.

20. blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2018 at 6:05 pm

Ottavino = Not quite ready for prime time

21. zumiee said, on October 4, 2018 at 6:28 pm

We’re not expecting much from the Braves.

• Flavor said, on October 4, 2018 at 6:49 pm

i was expecting more than that.

22. blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2018 at 6:50 pm

Agree with Flav. Has Costas turned senile? Saying that Kershaw goes to the HOF now – regardless of what he accomplishes in the future, as well as his putrid playoff record – is beyond stupid.

• Flavor said, on October 4, 2018 at 7:38 pm

i turned him off when he dropped this amazing nugget on me: “his teammates call him Folty”

23. zumiee said, on October 4, 2018 at 8:49 pm

So Puig sticks his tongue out all the time now. He’s pretty full of himself. His career has been an under-achievement so far, though.

24. blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2018 at 9:18 pm

There’s always tomorrow . . .