A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Strange Choices

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 15, 2018

I must be some kind of a sicko because even with the option of watching an mlb post season game I’m still gonna choose to watch the Packers dismantle and embarrass the 49ers.

Tough loss last night for KC. You can’t really blame that loss on Brady brilliance. He got the ball back with 3+ minutes to go against a bad defense. Of course he was going to niggle it down the field and set up a game winning field goal.

KC is like mlb Brewers. New, fun, exciting…..everything our Bay Area teams aren’t….

1. willedav said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:32 am

Being unable to stop the run hurt the Chiefs. But, the kid did what Alex Smith used to not be able to do—take the ball and score when you have it the last time. And he did with one 75 yd bomb which unfortunately left too much time for Brady.

I used to argue this one with Twin who always had an excuse for Smith. bottom line you’re the QB you get the ball with your team behind late, you either drive for a score or you lose and that’s how guys make their bones.

“…niggle it down the field.” with a 39 yd bomb perfectly dropped into Gronk’s hands after he swam by the DB.

• Flavor said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:46 am

Brady never gonna get any credit from me

2. alleykat69 said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:01 am

Time on the clock Brady is just like Montana was,he just wins the game..

• unca_chuck said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:59 am

Except Montana usually got the TD to win the game, not leave it up to the kicker.

3. gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:51 am

Problem so far this season in the NFL is there is very little defense. I did not find last night’s game of 43-40 overly satisfying because there is just no defense. Like watching a regular season AL game…if you can’t stop an opposing team from doing what they want on the field, is that really enjoyable football?

In terms last night’s debate of whether we really care about the Flodgers losing, put me in the column of that I’d rather go to my grave than watching the Flodgers win a WS. I much rather be rooting for our Giants this time of year. But if the secondary option to generate a good level of interest in MLB playoffs is to root against the Flodgers, then I am all in.

I am as nervous right now about tonight’s game as the series in 2010 against the Phillies. I want the game to start right now!!!

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:53 am

Cheering against the Flodgers made that series in 2015 against the Mets one if my favorite baseball playoff series ever and watching the Flodgers blow game 7 last year is right up there…

4. unca_chuck said, on October 15, 2018 at 9:06 am

No no and no on the Dodgers winning. Seeing them trip and fall is fine till I meet my maker.

As far as football goes, ALL the rules around the game in the last 25 years were put in place to help the offense. The Mel Blount rule, the Tom Brady Rule, the Aaron Rodgers rule, the 5 yard (and now ONE yard) chuck rule all lead to this. You can’t touch a WR for fear of a:

PI call
    Holding call
    Illegal use of hands call

All are automatic first downs, and the PI call can be a 60 yard penalty.

I loved the ‘sack’ by the KC LB who let Brady go cuz he thought “if I tackle him I get penalized”. Cant remember if Brady got the TD but Richard Sherman is right. The QBs should be wearing flags.

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 10:00 am

I think that was the play Brady ran it in…

5. zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 12:16 pm

Well, sure, I want the Dodgers to lose, but I’m done putting emotional energy into it. The Dodgers are going to be good for several years to come, and the Giants are going to be lousy for awhile. I’m not into feeling like I did before the 3 in 5. So much amazing baseball stuff has happened for us Giants fans in the last 10 years or so. Life is stressful enough without allowing the Dodger thing messing with my head. 🙂
    I have to give the Dodgers credit. They figured out baseball as it currently is. Their front office is on it. We can only hope ours gets on it relatively soon.

6. alleykat69 said, on October 15, 2018 at 12:19 pm

It doesn’t take much emotional energy Zumie just to say Fuck LA…

• zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 12:28 pm

I’m just saying if the Dodgers win the World Series it’s not going to put me into a funk.
      In fact, as a Flapper said (I can’t remember who), the Dodgers actually did the Giants a favor that last series of the regular season by showing the Giants organization where the Giants are at. Sadly, Baer has already stumbled by keeping Sabean and Bochy around for another season. That won’t help things. It needed to be a scorched earth rebuild. I guess that will start in ’20.
      What gets me ticked off? Thinking about Pence being on the team this past season, and the opening day starter. That ticks me off.

• blade3colorado said, on October 15, 2018 at 1:20 pm

Good post Zumiee. I agree with everything you said, except about the Dodgers winning the WS. You’re especially right about that last series against the Dodgers, where the last game against us (15-0) put an exclamation mark on why there needs to be a “scorched earth rebuild.” Hey, if the Giants decide to do business as usual, then that’s fine too – I will find other things to do next season. I have zero problem watching a rebuilt team if I know that it is building a foundation for the future. Personally, I hated this “reload” season, as I knew it was just putting off the inevitable.

• blade3colorado said, on October 15, 2018 at 12:57 pm

lulz . . . Good one AK.

7. zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 12:52 pm

I guess I’m curious to see if Beuhler is ready for such a big playoff moment. He wasn’t super sharp in the NLDS. I’m curious if he can be the Dodgers X-factor, like Bum was for the Giants in ’10.

8. Flavor said, on October 15, 2018 at 1:33 pm

it’s crazy that game can throw up 83 points last night and the Chiefs cover by 1/2 a point. The people that set point spreads are some of the smartest motherfuckers on the planet.

9. unca_chuck said, on October 15, 2018 at 1:52 pm

Yeah, it’s uncanny the accuracy. I’m sure Stix has a couple conspiracies to bandy around about it . . .

10. wilcojoe said, on October 15, 2018 at 3:21 pm

It is beyond idiotic that an LCS series is still being televised on FS1. I remember being so pissed off in 2014 that some of the Giants-Cardinals games were on FS1 and the hotel I was staying in it didn’t get it. I had to watch the entire Game 7 at a sports bar down the street from my hotel. Good luck trying to nurse your cocktails for 4 hours and not being completely skinked by the time a game like that ends.

Most hotel rooms don’t get FS1 even today.

• unca_chuck said, on October 15, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Game 7? That’s rough. I woulda got skinked!

11. unca_chuck said, on October 15, 2018 at 4:04 pm

Yes, the Dogs did us a favor by smoking our poles the last 3 games. Still and all. that ALL I want them to get.

They need to go down. That being said, that last loss had to hurt the Brew Crew. This game is pretty big tonight. For both teams, but more so for the Brewers. They take this one, and they are in great shape. They lose and they are looking at a tailspin they may not come out of.

12. unca_chuck said, on October 15, 2018 at 4:06 pm

ICYHH, Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft and owner of the Seahwaks and Trail Blazers just died of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Didn’t even hear he was sick.

13. zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 4:27 pm

WIlco, it is sad, too, the lack of radio coverage of the baseball playoffs. In my area, a pretty high population area, there are no AM or FM stations airing the LCS for either league. That’s an astounding thing to me.

• Macdog said, on October 15, 2018 at 4:33 pm

It is hard to find these games on the radio. Last night driving home from the Philly area, I was able to find the game on a Buffalo station.

14. zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 4:29 pm

Yelich is learning what a crucible the playoffs are. The media is on him pretty good for being a non-factor so far.

15. Flavor said, on October 15, 2018 at 4:42 pm

I wonder what has become of Stix’ estate? Did they just auction it off? Is it still sitting there untouched? Would love to have that address and google maps it

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 4:48 pm

We could turn it into a Flap Landmark…annual burning man…

• xoot said, on October 15, 2018 at 4:52 pm

you can’t bring Brett Kavanaugh

• unca_chuck said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Better yet, Kavanaugh could BE the burning man.

• xoot said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:42 pm

uh, oh. The federal choppers and drones circling in on that party will be impressive.

• xoot said, on October 15, 2018 at 4:50 pm

I think I found it last year based on info in the briefs or news reports. Also there were a bunch of pics of the place entered into evidence at the hearings. Very simple steep-roof home; remote rural road leading to it. I think it’s just there, waiting for him. He has family nearby. His sister said she was willing to take him in under house-arrest circumstances.

• djloo27 said, on October 15, 2018 at 5:08 pm

I was thinking the same thing last week about Stix.
      If he was a ballplayer, his walk up song could be “I Shot The Sheriff”…

• xoot said, on October 15, 2018 at 5:14 pm

yeah or I Fought the Law

16. xoot said, on October 15, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Yelich is fast on the paths

17. gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 4:47 pm

I just got home and was about to write that I am oddly confident of the Brew Crew taking this game…nice start…

18. zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Yelich can really glide around the bases.

19. Flavor said, on October 15, 2018 at 4:59 pm

that’s good info Xoot, thanks. Would love an address if it’s easy to find….
    I just read a LOOOOONG article written by Baggs at the Athletic about the Giants GM search. After reading it I am more confident than ever that the next Giants GM will be Kim Ng…..

20. alleykat69 said, on October 15, 2018 at 5:02 pm

Hey I have to give out a shout for Cowboy Joe West the other night.Catchers throw nailed him in his right shoulder and he didn’t even flinch!
    We’ve all given him shit in the past, but that was nails!

21. gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 5:15 pm

Well if anyone thinks Bryce Harper is the more valuable free agent than Manny Machado…

22. djloo27 said, on October 15, 2018 at 5:17 pm

I agree with G-head’s 8:51 about the enjoyability of last night’s defense-free game and not because of the disappointing outcome. As a kid I liked watching the the Chiefs on defense just as much as on offense…

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 5:44 pm

And the Ronnie Lotts and Merton Hanks….

23. gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 5:43 pm

In terms of hitters, looks like the 2020 free agent class has some targets. Besides Goldschmidt, Arenado and Rendon are both free agents. As is Ozuna, Kris Davis and Aaron Hicks. Hicks though will be 30. Throw in Bogaerts at just 27. Ozuna would be 29. Chris Sale and Gerritt Cole leading the best of the starters…

2019 will be a year to see what we have and then go from there…adding two of those hitters (one OF and one IF) would be potentially possible with an expected base payroll to be in the $124 mill range (without Bum) with $77 mill of that going to Buster, Cueto, Smardj and Melancon. That is pretty sick.

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 5:45 pm

Would a Rendon and Ozuna be a viable duo? Arenado and Goldschmidt would be too good to be true…

24. zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 5:48 pm

Shaw has a piano strapped to his back when he runs.

25. zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 5:50 pm

Brewers can’t square up a Beuhler fastball.

26. zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:05 pm

Good replay ruling. The rule is there to lessen the chance of injuries. It’s not just about outs.

27. Stan Shell said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:15 pm

Did anybody pick up that quick video scan where a Dodger fan has on a Blue T-shirt that says’ “I don’t often hate, but when I do (Picture of guy drinking wine), I hate the (Giant’s or something like that)? Right after Aguilera goes 0-2 in 2nd inning. Had to laugh.
    See, we are still on their minds.
    Go Brewers!
    OSF
    PS
    I have always hated the Dodgers- -from the get-go. Always will!

28. gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Can Chacin get through this inning???

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:25 pm

Nicely done Chacin…now get him the hell out of there…

29. djloo27 said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:22 pm

As usual dumbo Dodger fans overreact to routine fly ball off the bat…

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:25 pm

Their stoned out of their minds…

• unca_chuck said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:30 pm

They’re

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:05 pm

I’m stoned apparently

30. gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:26 pm

Niners have 2 fumbles and still in the game…

31. unca_chuck said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Niners and Packers in a shoot out. 21-20 niners halfway through the 2nd quarter.

32. gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Shaw runs as if he is carrying a fridge on his back ..

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Nice

33. blade3colorado said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:35 pm

How about that Grandal? lol

34. alleykat69 said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:36 pm

49ers have a solid running game(3rd in the NFL) turnovers and secondary is what kills them the most!
    Right now though they have Rodgers on his heels..

35. zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:47 pm

Third base is the hot corner; well named!

36. unca_chuck said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:52 pm

24-20 niners at the half. The Beater is having his best game after his worst game.

37. Bozo said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:53 pm

So far this has been a very entertaining football game and an entertaining baseball game,

38. Bozo said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Yes! Beat LA!

39. Lurker John said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:58 pm

BOOM!!!

40. gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:58 pm

Don’t stop believing…

41. unca_chuck said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Shit! Missed a homer? There you go!!

42. zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Hey, someone squared one up!

43. gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:17 pm

Mary Hart taking a shit on Grandall….priceles…

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Priceless

44. blade3colorado said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:20 pm

Arcia is playing big in the playoffs. Only 3 bombs in the season . . . Already has 3 in the playoffs.

45. Flavor said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:34 pm

lol

• alleykat69 said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:37 pm

That’s awesome! You tell him Mary!

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:59 pm

Think she called him ass wipe..

46. alleykat69 said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:36 pm

KKK Hader mowing LÁ down!!
    Fuck yeah! Fuck LA my emotional energy is kicking in lol 😂

47. blade3colorado said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:55 pm

Looking for Jeffress to get back on track. Dude was nails during the season.

48. zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:56 pm

Enter the gascan.

49. gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:58 pm

Why exactly did they pull Hader???

• zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:00 pm

To have him tomorrow for multiple innings.

50. blade3colorado said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:58 pm

Fuck! Jeter or Belt would have had that.

51. Macdog said, on October 15, 2018 at 7:59 pm

Get Jeffress the fuck out of there now!

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Throw one at Puig first

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:01 pm

Make him swing

52. blade3colorado said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy (Bellinger).

53. zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:01 pm

Choke job.

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:01 pm

He has completely melted down…don’t let him pitch again!!!

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:02 pm

DP RIGHT HERE

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:03 pm

I’ll take the SO

54. alleykat69 said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:03 pm

Hey Mary what do you think of Grandal now??

55. Macdog said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Good thing the only worse player than Jeffress this series is Grandal.

56. blade3colorado said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Grandal not a happy camper. lol

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Throw shit now

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:06 pm

See ya

57. blade3colorado said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Dozier strikes out, Jeffress is the hero.

58. alleykat69 said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:06 pm

Oh hell yeah!!
    Eat shit dogpile!!
    Brewers take back home field advantage!n

59. Bozo said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:06 pm

Got him.

60. zumiee said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:06 pm

Wow! And yikes!

61. Macdog said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:06 pm

Shut out L.A.!

62. gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:07 pm

Hader has to be the closer. Kneel set up…Jeffreys for the 7th. Once he puts anyone on, he’s gone…

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:09 pm

Have the Brewers taken over the mantle of cardiac kids??

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:09 pm

Or TORTURE!!!

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:10 pm

Knebel set up…motherfucking spell check…

63. blade3colorado said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:07 pm

HAHAHAHA . . . Grab some pine meat.

64. blade3colorado said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:10 pm

Papi is confused about this new fangled game of baseball. lulz

65. Bozo said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:11 pm

Come on D

• Bozo said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:11 pm

Ah fuck.

66. willedav said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:12 pm

Paly guy, Davante Adams

• willedav said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:24 pm

Is killing them.

67. djloo27 said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Niggle time…

68. blade3colorado said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:14 pm

May be Wisconsin’s night in all sports.

69. djloo27 said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:21 pm

BS penalty…

• willedav said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:35 pm

yeah and that one did it.

As you can imagine lotta hype out here on Warriors potential 3 peat. Jenkins had long column on best team ever, with writer he quoted Bob Ryan going with Celts 85-86— Big 3 frontline plus Ainge and DJ, with Wedman and Walton off bench.
      Also mentions Knicks, who had the 6 HOF guys on the 72-73 team.
      thoughts?

• djloo27 said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:51 pm

The way the game has changed, comparing these 3 teams is like comparing 3 different sports…

70. djloo27 said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:25 pm

You got robbed on that phantom call…

71. gianthead said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Refs gave that game to the Packers…4th down penalty was quite bullshit…

72. Bozo said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:32 pm

That 1 – 5 team just gave the Pack a hell of a game.

73. mrsprtdude said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:36 pm

I know big picture losing isn’t the worst thing. Better pick and all but FUCK!

Our play calling on offense and defense sucks. Ball at mid field 2nd and 3 RUN the damn ball. Or throw the same damn slant again. Then on 3rd and 3 go for a 40 yard pass. WTF!!! True the int was better than a punt but the the fuck are we going for a bomb??

next the defensive playing bump and run? Announcers begging Niners to play softer but they won’t. Delayed blitz vs Rogers never works. SOOO annoying…And to hear the lead ESPN asshole ( not Young) fawning over Rogers makes it 10X worse…

74. mrsprtdude said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:37 pm

At least Brew Crew won. Counsil opened up to grief pulling hader but it worked out. Mary hart screaming at Grandal priceless

75. unca_chuck said, on October 15, 2018 at 8:40 pm

Epic fail by the Niners. They’ll call that illegal contact every fucking time. It’s amazing there isn’t a penalty on every pass =play the way the NFL is now. IT’s a fucking joke.

The game is near unwatchable these days. 4th and 18? Nope, sorry. You brushed a WR running his route 28 yards down field who wasn’t even paying attention. 1st down!!!