Set Up For Another Fantastic Loss

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 21, 2018

“People who don’t know baseball say if they don’t win it all it’s a wasted year.”— Rooster

Now that’s an epic spin job.

It’s been so long since you guys have won anything reality is starting to peck away at your brain. Loser fans grasp on to bullshit like that. They get giddy if one of their players wins an MVP award. They try to invent ways to remember the season as a success even though they didn’t win, same as 29 other teams.

Hey, I used to be the same way. I got all excited about Barry’s bomb crowns. I’d beam at the single all star game rep we’d have. But then we won 3 in 5 and I realized all of the moral victories, the individual medals or how hard my team tried, none of that shit mattered. There is NOTHING like winning it all. For Giants fans it’s the only barometer remaining. And it should be the only thing a Dodger fan cares about, too.

Don’t listen to any bullshit from Dodger fans about how many flags they fly in The Latrine. 80% of the people alive in the world today weren’t born the last time LA won a World Series. Nobody remembers anything about 1988. Seriously, go think about that year and see what you can remember–nothing but a few hazy memories—dreams of things that may or may not have happened. The mind can play tricks, you know.

If they win this year it will be amazing for their fans. If they lose it will be crushing. Another loss on top of so many recent losses—failures in the highest leverage games in front of the most people watching.

And make no mistake about it, they will be losing again. Dinner is coming. And it lasts all Winter…..

Screenshot 2018-10-21 at 7.22.08 AM.png

1. zumiee said, on October 21, 2018 at 7:43 am

“I’d beam at the single all star game rep we’d have.”
    lulz! Oh man, that brought back some memories. 🙂

2. blade3colorado said, on October 21, 2018 at 7:49 am

Best rebuttal post . . . EVER. Nice job Flavor!

• Flavor said, on October 21, 2018 at 7:54 am

thank you. And it’s all true. Except that 80% comment, I pulled that out of my ass. Bet it’s close tho

• djloo27 said, on October 21, 2018 at 10:44 am

“dreams of things that may or may not have happened”
      I was just telling someone this very thing.
      I’ve identified at least 3 things in my life that for decades I was certain had happened and now realize they absolutely could not have….

3. Macdog said, on October 21, 2018 at 7:53 am

Bell to be named Reds manager, not exactly a surprise.

4. gianthead said, on October 21, 2018 at 7:53 am

Red Sox in 5…hate rooting for them but better than the alternative…what the hell was Craig Counsel doing in this series???

• Flavor said, on October 21, 2018 at 7:55 am

Counsell was ok. He never had the pitching to go farther and I think he did about as good a job as possible with all that bullpening nonsense. At the end of the day the Brewer hitters need to look in the mirror. They weren’t very good, I have no idea how Aguilar hit so many home runs. When he misses he misses by three feet.

5. Flavor said, on October 21, 2018 at 7:59 am

unless David Bell is some kind of savant I’m not too bummed about him leaving. There are a lot of guys out there who could manage better than Bochy. It starts with the Giants getting better players.

6. blade3colorado said, on October 21, 2018 at 8:04 am

Sherman, set the Wayback Machine for 1988:

President: Ronald W. Reagan

No. 1 song (October 20, 1988 — the day the Dodgers’ clinched the series): Red Red Wine by UB40. Check out the hair, skinny ties and multi-color jackets. Outstanding.

Gallon of gas (per 1980sflashback.com): $1.08

First-class stamp: 25 cents (Considering it’s been 30 years, that the price of first-class mail hasn’t even doubled is quite remarkable).

No. 1 movie (Oct. 23, 1988): Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (there have been 6-7 additional Halloween movies since then; no I haven’t seen any of them).

Most popular television show: The Cosby Show. Season 5 premiered Oct. 6, 1988 and the show continued to dominate ratings throughout the 1988-89 television season. I think he’s in jail now with Stix.

and drum roll please . . . “80% of the people alive in the world today weren’t born the last time LA won a World Series.” Sounds spot on to me.

• Flavor said, on October 21, 2018 at 8:42 am

that’s an incredible list.

7. Flavor said, on October 21, 2018 at 8:04 am

And guess what, a guy like Walker Bueller, he’s getting stuck on the same shit Rooster has gotten stuck on. He thinks this is the top of the mountain.

8. Flavor said, on October 21, 2018 at 9:45 am

everyone has their panties bunched up about that dust up in LA last night. I miss the old NBA

• Lurker John said, on October 21, 2018 at 4:22 pm

Kareem with the nasty right hook! LOL

9. alleykat69 said, on October 21, 2018 at 10:04 am

I bought a brand new 1988 F250 for $16,500 nowadays all trucks fully loaded can run up to 70K easily..

10. djloo27 said, on October 21, 2018 at 10:49 am

I had no cellphone, no job, no car, no girlfriend, no contact with family.
    Things were good…

11. Bozo said, on October 21, 2018 at 1:28 pm

I’m in the 20% club, Wah hoo.

I was in Anaheim for a 49er game during one of those WS games in LA. Roger Craig had himself a day running for around 200 yards and I think 3 TDs. His final TD run that won the game, it seemed like he bounced off of every Ram defender on his way to the end zone. A truly amazing run. On the flight back home you have a bunch of 9er fans wanting to party and a bunch of As fans wanting to drown their sorrows, no booze was served on that flight. Man was I pissed about no cocktail cart, I could usually get a couple of drinks down on that hour flight. Why the As fans were flying out of John Wayne, I don’t know.

• Lurker John said, on October 21, 2018 at 1:53 pm

One of the great runs in Niner history. I remember that game well.

12. Lurker John said, on October 21, 2018 at 1:52 pm

Great post, Flav. ROFL!

13. unca_chuck said, on October 21, 2018 at 2:41 pm

80% of the population is 30 or under? Not even close.

• Flavor said, on October 21, 2018 at 3:08 pm

At the beginning of 2012, the world population surpassed 7 billion with people under the age of 30 accounting for more than half of this number (50.5%). According to the survey, 89.7% of people under 30 lived in emerging and developing economies, particularly in the Middle East and Africa.
      ……and that was 6 years ago. So I think 60%+ is entirely reasonable based on this stat.

14. unca_chuck said, on October 21, 2018 at 2:52 pm

I had just moved back from Colo and was living in the Haight. Those were crazy days.

15. Flavor said, on October 21, 2018 at 3:13 pm

interesting website

16. Flavor said, on October 21, 2018 at 3:13 pm

So let’s say without question more than half of the people in the world weren’t born yet…..

17. zumiee said, on October 21, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Dismal sad Niner season.

• DieHardNinerFaithfulSince2011 said, on October 21, 2018 at 4:28 pm

There’s still hope. Maybe we can trade for Khalil Mack?

18. theroooster said, on October 21, 2018 at 4:58 pm

The Rams remain perfect on a perfect Sunday!
    The sad-sack, piss poor Santa Clara 9ers get dominated in every phase of the game.
    Bluejeans Stadium is damned near empty with a quarter of the game still to be played.
    Perfect.

• Flavor said, on October 21, 2018 at 5:01 pm

I remember a lot more from ’94 than ’88, bitch.

19. xoot said, on October 21, 2018 at 5:27 pm

the QB from Berkeley is hard to root against so it’s hard for me to get upset about St Louis rams success — oh, wait, they’re in Anaheim again? Or is it LA? And is it really possible for three pro football teams to find breathing room in that smog-choked market? Only thing we know for sure: USC ain’t goin nowhere.

• DieHardNinerFaithfulSince2011 said, on October 21, 2018 at 6:02 pm

So true, Xoot. If San Francisco was San Jose then the Niners would still be in San Francisco. And can the A’s find a fan base in LA when they leave Oakland, too? Pretty soon Oaktown will be a ghost town full of nobody but lawyers and bad travelogue writers

20. unca_chuck said, on October 21, 2018 at 5:46 pm

The Rams have 1 ring? How cute, Capon. Or are you gonna cite the 1945 and ’51 Rams like your compadre Sandy?

You gonna go to Carson to watch the Rams? Better be packing. . .

• zumiee said, on October 21, 2018 at 5:48 pm

The early 2000s Rams thought they were going to be a dynasty.
      Sad trombone.

21. zumiee said, on October 21, 2018 at 5:47 pm

We have the Rams to thank for one of New England’s championships.

• sandy32koufax said, on October 21, 2018 at 6:47 pm

You have the Brady Rule to thank for that. They stole the AFC title that year from Oakland. Period.

• zumiee said, on October 21, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Yep.

• unca_chuck said, on October 21, 2018 at 8:46 pm

That was the tuck rule.

22. zumiee said, on October 21, 2018 at 5:50 pm

The Rams barely won the one they did win.

• djloo27 said, on October 21, 2018 at 6:06 pm

And they were in St. Louis.
      Only SB winner from LA was the Raiders…

23. zumiee said, on October 21, 2018 at 5:51 pm

Kings up by 10 on OKC. No one thinks that’s going to last.

24. zumiee said, on October 21, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Bagley and Cauley-Stein are a nice duo on offense, not as much on defense.

25. DieHardNinerFaithfulSince2011 said, on October 21, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Look on the bright side, guys! We can all now officially blow off the 49ers and jump right on the KC Chiefs bandwagon until they inevitably choke once again in the playoffs. Maybe we can trade Carlos Hyde for Patrick Mahomes…oh wait, nvm

26. zumiee said, on October 21, 2018 at 6:26 pm

Kings’ Shempert is a good player. Never heard of him.

• Flavor said, on October 21, 2018 at 6:43 pm

yes you have. Bounced around for years, spent at least 3-4 years with Cle. He sucks. Tonight was an aberration

• zumiee said, on October 21, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Ah. His name didn’t ring a bell with me.

27. zumiee said, on October 21, 2018 at 6:30 pm

Kings are going to beat OKC on the road. Say what?! 🙂

• willedav said, on October 21, 2018 at 7:16 pm

Nice W, vs. OKC with Westbrook. 7 guys in double figures and 9 with at least 8 points.

28. sandy32koufax said, on October 21, 2018 at 6:45 pm

I’m here to say R.I.P. Michael Scott. He was a good guy. A codger but a good guy. I’ve missed him. Enjoy your memories too, Flappers. Adios.

• zumiee said, on October 21, 2018 at 7:01 pm

I think lots of us would’ve liked to meet him in person. It just wasn’t to be.

• blade3colorado said, on October 22, 2018 at 7:56 am

Good to see ya here Sandy. It’s been a long time. I hope you’re well.

29. zumiee said, on October 21, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Today the Jets lost by 20, the Bills lost by 25, and the Dolphins lost by 11.
    Another tough season for the Patriots in that awesome AFC East.

30. willedav said, on October 21, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Warriors might not win this one but btw Jones Jerebko and Looney they are making J Bell Mr. Irrelevant.

31. willedav said, on October 21, 2018 at 7:19 pm

Announcers said some of ’75 Warriors will be there when Gs hosts Wizards this Wed.
    Man Charley Johnson was flat out local hero out of Sequoia Redwood City.
    Phil Smith too out of USF. Both sadly long passed on.

32. unca_chuck said, on October 21, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Yeah, it was sad watching Nate Thurmond playing for the Bulls in the playoffs when the Warriors went on to win the championship that year. Getting Cliff Ray put them over the top, though. Coach Attles was bad ass back then, he’s still bad ass.

• willedav said, on October 21, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Loved Al Attles. pretty sharp dresser as coach and tough defender during younger days. Kinda funny he and West, mortal enemies during playing days, wound up in FO together for few years. Attles used to give him physical battle under old rules. today he’d be gone in 5 minutes.
      Barnett is right, D is going to involve some contact. It’s ridiculous to see ticky tack stuff being called..

33. mrsprtdude said, on October 21, 2018 at 8:56 pm

Nice All star list Craig. Looking more recent..

Posey AS from 2012 -18 every year but 2014. Odd. That year he was silver slugger .311 22 HR 89 RBI. 6th in MVP vote. Pence was only SF rep.

Brewers hitters not good. Dodgers better. The issue with leaning so heavily on the bullpen? You lock on to 3 guys and expect them to be perfect every outing for 12-19 games. One bad pitch and you lose. Better to let the starters go longer if they are not giving up runs.

34. snarkk said, on October 22, 2018 at 4:43 am

I am in Toronto on biz. Staying at the Sky Dome Marriott. Right now eating breakfast in hotel restaurant looking into the stadium above 100’ over the left center fence. Weird in here. Reminds me of the astrodome, but more fan friendly. It’s not even Nov yet, and it’s still friggin dark outside at 7:30 am. Ugh…

35. Flavor said, on October 22, 2018 at 7:41 am

Appreciate the Twinner shout out. Not changing the thread till tomorrow so we’ll just let this one ride for 24 more….

36. willedav said, on October 22, 2018 at 8:00 am

MLBTR poll 70% of bloggers picked Sox. Really hope those who thought Stros-Sox was the real WS are right.

37. Lurker John said, on October 22, 2018 at 8:14 am

Still gotta play the games, but everyone here hopes the two Dodger troll asshats are handed their proverbial lunches.

38. Flavor said, on October 22, 2018 at 11:16 am

Dodgers could win. I certainly wouldn’t bet any $ on the red Sox. But my guess is that they will fail as they do every year since 1988.

39. Flavor said, on October 22, 2018 at 1:44 pm

Kokonuts it they’re gonna use the title of your book in their ad about gambling you should at least get a cut if this hits, right?

• xoot said, on October 22, 2018 at 5:06 pm

I recall friends of mine at UC Santa Cruz asking me to join them listening to the World Serious on the radio when the a’s were in the middle of their early 70s run. I declined. Also, titles and other short phrases aren’t copyrightable. See Narell v. Freeman, 9th Circuit, 1989.

• Flavor said, on October 22, 2018 at 5:21 pm

i appreciate the legal lesson but nobody who uses the phrase “World Serious” has any credibility with me except P. Kokonuts, esq.

• xoot said, on October 22, 2018 at 6:00 pm

I greatly enjoyed that book. And I got no gripe with the title. But the real originality in the work starts on page 1.