San Francisco’s Giant

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 1, 2018

McCovey did most of his damage before I was born. By the time I was paying attention he was into his second stint with the Giants and obvious not the force he once was. I missed watching the greatness with my own eyes.

My last memory of watching Mac play was during the end of his final season very close to the end of the year. My dad took me to a game and we were sitting along the right field line. McCovey slowly ambled to the plate as a pinch hitter. He ended up lining a ball into the outfield and I remember 2 things: 1: how big the finish of his swing was. The bat seemed to wrap all the way around his body twice on the same swing. 2) how loud the crowd got when he got the hit. They knew what was up.

Fair winds and following seas, Stretch. You earned it.

Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 6.03.33 AM

________________________

DJLoo said, on July 29, 2012 at 11:02 am (Edit)

I share all those awesome childhood memories of Stretch that you guys have the ability to lay out so eloquently. So as always you can count on me for a less cheerful one.

Mays & McCovey came to a card show/autograph signing thing in 1985. I was stunned to hear about it – the memorabilia craze hadn’t really taken off yet. It was held in the gymnasium of a Catholic School in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. Another hero of mine, Joe Pepitone was also there. Autographs were cheap – maybe $20 for Mays, less for McCovey, and way less for Pepi. Laughed it up and took a great picture with Joe. Got to the M & M table where they were sitting side by side. Mays was somber and wouldn’t even look at me. McCovey was pleasant and shook my hand. I asked if they would allow my friend to snap a picture of me standing behind them. McCovey said sure and Mays grunted something. In the picture Stretch has a big smile. Mays looks like he’s getting a colonoscopy. Later on I was just hanging around outside across the street. McCovey came out (all alone!) limping visibly. I was struck by his outfit. Looked like he picked it up from the Salvation Army. An ill-fitting red checkered sport jacket and bright red pants that were at least 3 inches too short. I yelled out, “need a ride, Willie?”. He waved and said, “I’m alright, man!”. I stayed where I was and watched him slowly hobble down 65th Street. To me, it was the picture of a man down on his luck. He turned left at the corner and disappeared from my view. I have no idea how he could’ve had any idea where he was going around there.
I remember hoping that the neighborhood Guinz-aloons wouldn’t give him a hard time…

1. wilcojoe said, on November 1, 2018 at 7:49 am

What a great story by Loo. Question for him. Assuming he had accepted your invitation for a ride, what kind of wheels would Stretch have been riding in?

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 1, 2018 at 8:06 am

Exactly. Loo should *stretch this out into a short story. Go for it.

• djloo27 said, on November 1, 2018 at 2:34 pm

The wheels of the city bus, I guess.
      I didn’t have a car or a plan…

2. pawliekokonuts said, on November 1, 2018 at 8:05 am

What an *eloquently written snapshot. It’s perfect. Thanks, Loo. In a convoluted way, it brings me to say: see ‘White Boy Rick’; that movie evokes the same era, albeit in Detroit.

• gianthead said, on November 1, 2018 at 11:29 am

What did you think of the movie???? I thought had too many holes in the script. Can’t even remember the ending now. The scene where the one gangster beats a guy presumably to death in Vegas and then not a word about it afterward….you just murder people publicly and not a nary of a word about the incident for the rest of the movie…bs!!!

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 2, 2018 at 12:36 am

The Sopranos did it dozens of times. I’m not much of a plot guy. I ate up the atmosphere, the neon, the darkness, the whole aura of the era, and the sounds. And the characters. For me, the plot was incidental to all those.

3. willedav said, on November 1, 2018 at 8:12 am

Flav, you’re right that swing was tremendous. Even a swing and miss was an event.
    Giants were so hexed in the ’60s, with 2 big bodied outstanding hitters who won back to back rookie of the year awards and who could only play the same position, 1b. And it wasn’t Mac that got traded away in ’66.
    Anyone who saw McCovey will never forget the power he had…and that includes pitchers he hit off too.

4. pawliekokonuts said, on November 1, 2018 at 8:16 am

The Mays portrait corresponds with my seeing him at a book signing on Fifth Avenue circa 1987. My McCovey encounter in the dugout at Three Rivers was like fiction. That’s when he calmly said, ‘Th’ ain’t no superstars…” Both episodes in Chasing Willie Mays.

Incidentally, I honestly remember listening to the Les Keiter WINS re-creation on my transistor radio the day McCovey debuted. https://nyti.ms/2yIIdpq

5. pawliekokonuts said, on November 1, 2018 at 8:18 am

McCovey, Stargell, and Minnie Minoso were the best swings my brother and I liked to imitate.

6. Stan Shell said, on November 1, 2018 at 8:19 am

Willie Mac gave me one of the two greatest sports memories of my life (the other was Clark’s “The catch”. It was Summer of 1962, two were on, Drysdale was pitching and was up by a run late in the game. McCovey came up. In those days it was known that Willie “owned” Drysdale. The crowd was VERY animated. Drysdale tried not to pitch to him. First he tried to pick the runner off first. Then he tried to pick the runner off second- -no luck. With each failed pick off the crowd got louder. Finally, he had to pitch to Willie. One pitch.

It was possibly the hardest hit ball I have ever seen. It went over the (I think it was chain link) fence in RF bounced once or twice and landed in a pile of dirt/sawdust next to THE BACK FENCE that circled Candlestick Park in ’62. That second fence had to be at least 100 feet or more back from the Park’s playing field. So that was approximately 300 feet plus another bunch of territory before it hit the ground. It put the Giants in front and they won the game. That was the year they beat the Dodgers in a playoff and faced the Yankees in the WS. Remember, Willie Mac almost won that Series when he lined out to Richardson with two on in the ninth.

Thanks for the memories, Willie. No rainouts for you.

OSF

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 1, 2018 at 8:32 am

Oh man. That’s brilliant! Thanks so much. It’s too bad Mac gets remembered for the last out when that WS is recounted. I have a blackout. I really do. I most remember a Tom Tresh catch in the outfield, thinking, we’re screwed; it’s over. Mays has said it shouldn’t have gotten to that. The runner at third, Matty Alou, might’ve scored on Mays’s double but was halted because of Maris’s arm; that it was worth a try. We’ll never know. McCovey has said the liner may’ve been the hardest ball he ever hit. It doesn’t look that way on YouTube videos. It had topsin and was sinking. Richardson didn’t have to jump. Broke my heart, and is why I hated the Yankees more than the Dodgers. Heart mostly repaired by 3 in 5.

• unca_chuck said, on November 1, 2018 at 9:31 am

The ball Mays hit was slowed by the muddy field down the line as it had rained for 3 days prior to that game. I certainly don’t remember, but I do remember seeing footage of helicopters hovering over the field trying to dry it out.

Willie Mac? He was just such a good-hearted guy, it seemed. I never met him, but saw him play a ton as he was a favorite from when I saw that game at Wrigley in 1968. My memory is pretty unclear on it, but I think he hit a home run off Fergie Jenkins. The game was somewhere around late August/early September in 1968.

Later on, one of my neighbor friends got the chance to be the bat boy at the Stick for the opposing team. In this case it was the Reds, This must have been around 1973, in the big red machine heyday. I was insanely jealous that he got the gig. I was even more jealous when he returned from one of games with a cracked Willie McCovey bat. I was in awe of the thing. It was something like a 40 oz bat that looked a mile long. The handle was pretty much the size of the knob, so it looked like a telephone pole. I couldn’t believe the strength it would take to swing the damn thing, let alone make solid contact. That swing was magnificent.

He was Barry Bonds before Barry Bonds. He would get walked all the time, and was walked with the bases loaded at one point. I think most of the pitchers of his day feared him the most as the ball coming off his bat would break the fucking scale they use now to measure that shit. 140 MPH? Who knows? Standing there 60′ away as he warmed up with that 4′ long bat must have scared the piss out of more than a few pitchers.

• unca_chuck said, on November 1, 2018 at 9:37 am

Wow, that was easy. No Fergie Jenkins, And the home run was hit by Jack Hiatt.

Crazy thing about this? This was the first game of a doubleheader. The 2nd game ended in a tie. I have no recollection of this. I don’t know if we left, or what but I’m assuming it got called for darkness.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 1, 2018 at 10:30 am

another gem . . . . and the tricks of memory

7. willedav said, on November 1, 2018 at 8:48 am

On the ball Mays hit before Mac lined out, the field was supposedly still soggy from all the rain that had happened in days prior and take was it slowed the ball down and Maris (excellent OF) got to it quicker.

As 3b coach that’s a hella gamble, sending a runner to the plate in that situation with Mac and Cepeda to follow.
    Mays iirc said if it was him instead of Matty he’d have scored.
    We were watching it in 6th grade class at Ellis School in Sunnyvale. One of those things that is over in a second. Giants were so good really thought they’d be back and win one as I’m sure Mac et al did.

Lot of good obits in Chron today too. Have to check out NYT.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 1, 2018 at 10:31 am

good point … Mays? just might’ve scored… Alou? not so much

• gianthead said, on November 1, 2018 at 11:34 am

Playoff games were televised then??? Never thought about it before…

8. willedav said, on November 1, 2018 at 9:51 am

Great story Unc. I saw one in comments today re: Sparky who intentionally walked Mac 22 times. Mac asked him, “who do you think I am, Babe Ruth”? Sparky said, “No you’re better.”

Jenkins mentioned this, how in ’68 the year pitching so dominated they lowered the mound the next year, Mac hit 36 bombs drove in 105 with slash line .293/.378/.545 for .923 OPS. this was the year Yaz won the AL batting title at .301.

So the next year ’69 Mac won the MVP with 45 bombs/126 rbis. slash line .320/.453/.656 (!) for 1.108 OPS

9. snarkk said, on November 1, 2018 at 10:17 am

I rip Giants management and ownership a lot. It’s deserved. But one major thing I give them credit for is taking care of Mays and McCovey as they aged. I’ll ignore there is probably a protective PR aspect there, too. The main thing is the Giants took care of Stetch in his twilight years. Well done…

• unca_chuck said, on November 1, 2018 at 10:51 am

Yeah, the Giants front office get huge kudos for bringing them back into the fold. As Loo’s story shows, both Mays and McCovey were cast adrift during the mid to late 70s through the early 90s and were gettrng by doing anything they could.

Mays was banned by the league for shilling for a casino in the early 80s IIRC. Mickey Mantle as well.

• gianthead said, on November 1, 2018 at 11:38 am

And that was from Peter Magowan…Bob Lurie did not give a shot a out Giants history…thank you Mr. Magowan…sorry I heckled you at one Giants game at RFK when you left early…I think I yelled: “Where you going Magowan? Are you a Dodger fan?” I believe he was sitting with George Will and Will’s disabled kid.

10. unca_chuck said, on November 1, 2018 at 10:46 am

Ooops. Forgot the link. First game I ever went to. My uncle Chuck took me.

Me and Uncle Chuck a couple years ago in Napa. He’s 89 now and doing well.

charlie and chuck

• willedav said, on November 1, 2018 at 12:22 pm

thx man for the box. nice pic too.
      Marichal won the first game over Holtzman (later of A’s fame) going all 9 to go 24-7 with 2.33 ERA. Cubs were really good then too, solid top 5 LU and great IF plus B Williams and good C in R Hundley.
      Notice Dick Nen got into both games. Jesus in the OF for SF
      W Mac if you notice had OPS of .950, 150 points better than Williams top Cub hitter and HOFer.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 1, 2018 at 1:50 pm

sweet! and the resemblance is clear….for me, it helps me recall what you looked like when we met in sept 2013

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 1, 2018 at 1:51 pm

is that how/why you have the handle you have?

• unca_chuck said, on November 1, 2018 at 9:07 pm

Yes! He’s the original Uncle Chuck. My mom’s brother. . . Although my dad’s brother was Uncle Chuck as well, but he is an asshole!

11. unca_chuck said, on November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
    • pawliekokonuts said, on November 1, 2018 at 1:55 pm

Charles Schulz was a notable Giants fan. I believe he was behind a documentary on Mays that aired in the seventies

12. xoot said, on November 1, 2018 at 2:02 pm

I started going to games at the Stick in 1978, and, as Flavor notes, McCovey wasn’t playing full time in those final years. He did pinch hit in one game I attended. For some reason, the crowd was huge. Can’t remember why. But everyone in the ballpark cheered to see Mac exit the dugout and we all sat on the edges of our seats when he dug in. He unleashed one of those mighty swings — and he hit a pop fly, straight up into air along the 1B line. I started to relax back into my seat, disappointed. I noticed that other fans were still on the edges of their seats, though, following the flight of the ball, and for good reason. That thing rose higher into the sky than any baseball I’ve ever seen. It just kept rising. Of course, it also took forever to return to earth. And when it landed in the RF’s glove, that guy was standing on the warning track, close to the OF fence. Only then did the more experienced Giants fans in the ballpark relax back into their seats.

13. zumiee said, on November 1, 2018 at 5:11 pm

In the main photo, it looks like a guy is sliding into firstbase. Sliding into firstbase has been around longer than I thought.

14. djloo27 said, on November 1, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Willie McCovey was here…

• zumiee said, on November 1, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Cool 3D photo.

• djloo27 said, on November 1, 2018 at 9:28 pm

The opposite side of the street where I was waiting is unrecognizable to me, Zum.
        So much new construction in Brooklyn…

15. willedav said, on November 2, 2018 at 7:38 am

Gruden, before the game talking about players coming here calling and texting him: “I’m just trying to get people excited about the Oakland Raiders.” Oh yeah mission accomplished, just not quite the way you wanted.

16. unca_chuck said, on November 2, 2018 at 8:09 am

Still bummed that foul popup from McCovey in that 1983 old timers’ game hit the upper deck railing. It was mine!

17. unca_chuck said, on November 2, 2018 at 8:11 am

I wonder if Gruden even makes it through the season. He has trashed the team, lost the players, and pissed off the fans in 8 short games. His team lost to a 3rd string QB.

If Re undead Al was still alive, Gruden would be on his way out. I guess this is Chucky’s revenge for being traded in the first place.

• alleykat69 said, on November 2, 2018 at 9:08 am

He’s not going anywhere as long as that stupid Buffon Bucky Larson is running this pathetic team…

• unca_chuck said, on November 2, 2018 at 9:26 am

Your prolly right. But this was Gruden’s plan all along now that I think about it. Trash the season and rebuild the team in his image. Which is all he has at this point. I mean really, the best guy in this upcoming draft is Baby Bosa, an elite pass rusher. Therefore you tank, trade your current best pass rusher and defensive player of the year (Khalil), your best offensive weapon (Cooper) and start dumping players to get more picks.

Carr will probably go at the end of the year as well. His ‘aw-shucks’ manner doesn’t suit the feisty Chucky mentality of Gruden. What they do about the QB position is a mystery but i’m 90% sure Carr isn’t in the Raiders plan.

If I was a Raider fan, I’d be furious that Gruden is wasting these last 2 years in Oakland as an extended training camp for the big move in 2020. They will suck this year and next, and depending on how well they draft, they could be a shit show even then.

• unca_chuck said, on November 2, 2018 at 9:33 am

This way you get Bosa and don’t have to pay Mack. A win-wibn in Chucky’s eyes.

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 2, 2018 at 8:25 am

This was interesting

19. unca_chuck said, on November 2, 2018 at 9:47 am

Please God no.

20. alleykat69 said, on November 2, 2018 at 1:35 pm

Good for the Dodgers and especially us, Opie the Chocker to sign on for 3 more years and 93 million! Yeah like these next 3 years are going to pan out for a Guy already losing velocity on his pitches…

• Flavor said, on November 2, 2018 at 2:08 pm

That’s absurd. The dodgers are so dumb. That’s a move the Giants would make

21. unca_chuck said, on November 2, 2018 at 2:56 pm

My only hope is Bummie is amenable to a team-friendly deal. Partly because of his lost season last year due to his stupidity.

3/54 mill? 60? He could get a lot more anywhere else.

22. blade3colorado said, on November 2, 2018 at 3:13 pm

Here are the top five salary obligations for MLB teams, 2019-2021 (per spotrac.com)

2019

2021
    1. SF Giants: $92m
    2. Seattle Mariners: $80.3m
    3. Boston Red Sox: $69.7m
    4. NY Yankees: $67.2m
    5. Washington: $60m

Over the next three seasons, the San Francisco Giants will owe $366.3 million in player salary obligations as a result of their disastrous payroll decisions over the past five years. Understand, this doesn’t cover building a complete 25-man roster each season, it’s just the players the Giants owe money to as a result of authorizing a series of very bad multi-year contracts.

Beyond that, San Francisco will also have to sign and pay the additional players needed to fill out their 25-man and 40-man rosters over those three seasons. Worse, unlike elite-league teams like the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, Houston, and the Cubs, the great majority of the Giants’ player contracts are with old fucks who are already on the downside of their careers.

• blade3colorado said, on November 2, 2018 at 3:29 pm

. . . and by the by, we all think it’s cute that Panda is only costing us $545k, while the Red Sox foot the rest of his $18 million plus salary. However, he costs us a roster spot and his performance In the two years he has been back with the Giants – has been a terrible .698 OPS in 139 games, with an embarrassing .291 on base percentage.

Meanwhile, Boston also has no qualms about sticking Rusney Castillo’s ass and his $72.5 million, 7 year contract to the minors (i.e., he was outrighted to the minors on June 20, 2016).

• djloo27 said, on November 2, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Is there a less “athletic” team in the sport than the Giants?

• blade3colorado said, on November 2, 2018 at 3:37 pm

Loo, I doubt it. Worse, I just checked on 3 of our minor league teams . . . Let’s just say, it probably wont get any better:

>Triple A Sacramento, CA: 55-85, last place among all 16 Pacific Coast League teams.

> Double A Richmond, VA: 62-76, last place in their Eastern League division.

> Single A San Jose, CA: 25-45, last place and the worst record out of 8 California League teams.

• alleykat69 said, on November 2, 2018 at 4:24 pm

In Football I would say the Raiders are less athletic then the Giants.
        “That team is a disgrace to even be allowed to suit up every Sunday”

23. djloo27 said, on November 2, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Have they announced McCovey’s funeral arrangements?
    I would expect that there might be something open to the public…

• alleykat69 said, on November 2, 2018 at 5:08 pm

Sure would be nice if they had a tribute at McCovey Cove, just not a large enough area maybe for a legend like Stretch to have it at..

24. zumiee said, on November 2, 2018 at 5:12 pm

You almost have to laugh; the Giants are presently not an appealing situation for any incoming President and GM. The team is a worst-case scenario all-around. They might as well tear-down and tank for a few seasons, but the Giants won’t do that. Next season the front office’s goal will be to try to get somewhere close to .500, sell 3 million tickets, and call it good.

• blade3colorado said, on November 2, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Zumiee, you’re unequivocally spot on. However, that actually isn’t the entire problem as I understand it.

I don’t have access to the article (Xoot? Flavor?), but Ken Rosenthal is reporting via The Athletic, that the Giants are searching for a a current high profile and top of the market general manager / President of Baseball Operations like Theo Epsstein, Andrew Friedman, Dave Dombrowksi, or David Stearns. There is a small problem though, as Rosenthal notes, “such a high-profile executive does not appear to be available.”

25. zumiee said, on November 2, 2018 at 5:16 pm

At least the Dodgers’ drought goes to 31 years and counting.
    The 3 in 5 can get me through the Giants’ wilderness years.

26. djloo27 said, on November 2, 2018 at 5:35 pm

NY Post predicts landing spots for top 30 FAs:

This is where the Giants show up on their list:

10. Michael Brantley, OF. Timing is everything. He stayed healthy in his walk year after being sidelined for much of 2016 and 2017. Prediction: Giants, three years, $42 million.

A lefty hitting LF – a doubles machine who turns 32 in May…

• zumiee said, on November 2, 2018 at 6:00 pm

He would be a very Giantsy type of signing.

• willedav said, on November 2, 2018 at 7:09 pm

best of moderate priced FA OFs out there. Improves team right off the bat. Play him Duggar and any other 2 as long as one of them is NOT named Gorks.
      It’s not like Brantley is blocking the next R Acuna.
      $$ is imo least of Giants worries.

27. snarkk said, on November 2, 2018 at 7:13 pm

blade’s reporting of the minor league situation is enlightening. The situation is deplorable.
    The entire front office staff having anything to do with the minor leagues should be fired. You can deal with one level sucking. All 3 at the same time? That is totally unacceptable given the revenue this organization generates. You have to be asleep at the switch multiple years for this to happen. Now, with Bell having left after just one year, they have to start over with any changes in the works…

28. willedav said, on November 2, 2018 at 7:35 pm

MLBTR site guys have SF getting A J Pollock 4 yrs/$60 mil.
    They have Brantley going to Braves at about same money as column Loo cited..
    Both sites btw have Cutch getting similar $$$ as FA.

29. zumiee said, on November 2, 2018 at 8:29 pm

The Kings have kind of quietly started off the season 6-3.

• willedav said, on November 2, 2018 at 8:51 pm

yeah good for them. I like Bjelica, good addition to starting LU alongside Fox Hield and Cauley Stein. all the young guys seem better and Bagley is very athletic. what is state of the Euro G, bogdanovic (sp)? He looked like good shooter last season but I don’t think he’s played yet.

• zumiee said, on November 3, 2018 at 3:21 am

Still recovering from an injury, I think.

30. zumiee said, on November 2, 2018 at 8:35 pm

I have a hard time hearing Mark Jackson on the ESPN broadcast. The crowd noise is miked up so loud his gentle voice gets sort of buried.

• Macdog said, on November 2, 2018 at 9:50 pm

And that’s a bad thing?

• zumiee said, on November 2, 2018 at 10:27 pm

Good point. 🙂

31. zumiee said, on November 2, 2018 at 10:28 pm

32. zumiee said, on November 2, 2018 at 10:33 pm

33. zumiee said, on November 2, 2018 at 10:34 pm

34. alleykat69 said, on November 3, 2018 at 10:34 am

Plans to protect air and water,
    Wilderness and Wildlife are in fact
    plans to protect man..

• zumiee said, on November 3, 2018 at 11:37 am

Well said.

• djloo27 said, on November 3, 2018 at 12:04 pm

A skink haiku?

• xoot said, on November 3, 2018 at 1:17 pm

Mo Udall was pretty good for an establishment politician. Now let’s hear some Gary Snyder. He really knows the wilderness.

I actually think we’re in the wasteland years. But have at it.

35. zumiee said, on November 3, 2018 at 1:08 pm

Message from the Giants:

Public Celebration of Life for Willie McCovey

WHEN: Thursday, November 8th

11:30 a.m.

WHERE: AT&T Park

Members of the public should enter the park through the Willie Mays Plaza Gates.

NOTE: This public celebration of life is open to all fans and friends of Willie “Stretch” McCovey.

• zumiee said, on November 3, 2018 at 1:09 pm

Hopefully televised by the Giants’ network.

• djloo27 said, on November 3, 2018 at 1:46 pm

Go!

• zumiee said, on November 3, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Unfortunately, I probably should go to work that day. 🙂

36. blade3colorado said, on November 3, 2018 at 3:36 pm

Sort of in shock that the Bums are “definitely” issuing a $17.9M qualifying offer to catcher Yasmani Grandal before Friday’s deadline to do so. Correct me if I am wrong, but is this the dude that was putrid on defense (nor was any great shakes on offense) during the postseason?

• zumiee said, on November 3, 2018 at 3:41 pm

Of all the teams in MLB, the Dodgers are all about HRs. They love his lefthanded power. They figure his cruddy playoffs were an aberration.

37. zumiee said, on November 3, 2018 at 3:54 pm

Harbaugh is stomping on Penn St.

• Macdog said, on November 3, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Michigan might be for real, especially on defense, though as always it’ll come down to whether they can beat Ohio State.

38. zumiee said, on November 3, 2018 at 8:05 pm

The Dodger offense really struggled in the World Series. From an article:
    “Looking at the offense there were but two players that seemed to come to play:
    David Freese – (.417) – 5-12
    Justin Turner– (.333) – 8-24
    There were a couple of others that were at least not absent:
    Max Muncy – (.235) – 4-17
    Yasiel Puig – (.250) – 5-20
    But where were these guys?
    Barnes – 0-11
    Dozier – 0-5
    Bellinger – 1-16
    Pederson – 1-12
    Kemp – 1-9
    Grandal – 1-5
    Hernandez – 2-15
    Taylor – 2-14
    Machado – 4-22”

39. zumiee said, on November 3, 2018 at 8:25 pm

From a Dodger fan:

We just extended a pitcher who has never made it through an entire post season without getting shelled to more money than most of us will see in at least 20 lifetimes, offered $18M to a catcher who can’t catch a ball in the dirt if his life depended on it, and same to a cuddly Korean dude with a bad shoulder who probably really misses Juan Uribe… and home.

Posted by Freddy V on Nov 3, 2018 | 7:21 PM

40. mrsprtdude said, on November 3, 2018 at 8:49 pm

Was with my brother when we saw the kershaw deal announced. We looked at other quietly, and then both started laughing at the same time! I have to savor it, because I’m going to be crying when the Giants do the same thing for Mad Bum. He is younger ( by one year but by the time we sign the contract they will both be 30 right?), and SF brass dumber so i’m going 4/ 125
    CK has 500 more innings than Mad Bum including playoffs, so roughly 300 more by age 30.

• djloo27 said, on November 3, 2018 at 9:42 pm

We owe Mad Bum big time…

• alleykat69 said, on November 3, 2018 at 10:25 pm

We owe Bum the whole state of North Carolina with his 🐖 his cows his pig wife all the money he deserves for being rear ended on his last contract what’s he done for this franchise he deserves
        This guy is a big time pitcher that they need to anchor a young staff.

41. […] Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 4, 2018 djloo27 said, on November 3, 2018 at 9:42 pm (Edit) […]