Old School Behavior

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 5, 2018

Ok, let’s take a break from discussing anything baseball related and kick this around: What do you do that is still considered *old school*? For instance, I don’t read newspapers or magazines anymore but maybe you do? I haven’t used a home phone in years. Do you?

The #1 old school thing I do is listen to the radio in my car. Regular free FM radio. 1 station: 107.7 The Bone. Only not in the morning, Lamont and Tonelli are the two dumbest dunderheads on the planet. How do those idiots keep a morning show for all these years? It makes no sense.

If a song comes on I like, I turn it up. If it’s a song I don’t like I usually switch over to KNBR. Commercial comes on, I go back to The Bone. And that’s how I roll all day whenever I’m driving……

Don’t worry, I have a thread for tomorrow all lined up that pivots off today’s thread. So let’s go, what do you do that’s still considered *old school*?

1. zumiee said, on November 5, 2018 at 7:34 am

I read paper newspapers, paper magazines, and paper books. Once in a while I read them on electronic devices.
    I subscribe to a few paper magazines. I still enjoy getting them in an actual mail box.
    I watched a Turner Classic Movie last night, which I do sometimes. “The Yellow Rolls Royce.” I had never heard of the movie before. It was pretty good.

2. zumiee said, on November 5, 2018 at 7:35 am

• zumiee said, on November 5, 2018 at 7:38 am

Pretty crazy plot:
      “One Rolls-Royce belongs to three vastly different owners, starting with Lord Charles (Rex Harrison), who buys the car for his wife (Jeanne Moreau) as an anniversary present. Another owner is Paolo Maltese (George C. Scott), a mafioso who purchases the car during a trip to Italy and leaves it with his girlfriend (Shirley MacLaine) while he returns to Chicago. Later, the car is owned by American widow Gerda (Ingrid Bergman), who joins the Yugoslavian resistance against the invading Nazis.”

3. unca_chuck said, on November 5, 2018 at 8:06 am

We get the Sunday paper to read in bed. And yeah I listen to the radio in the car. Mainly the Bone, 90.5, a weird thrash metal college station somewhere near Walnut Creek, or 95.7 the game in the morning for my 10 minute drive to bart. Sometimes I’ll hit the AM dial. But not much.

Mow my lawn? Work on my cars? Is that old school?

4. sfsarge said, on November 5, 2018 at 8:09 am

I still have a couple of paper magazine subscriptions. I still pay for cable. I still buy CDs. Yes I also subscribe to streaming services. But even though they are harder to find, there’s something so enjoyable about having a tangible item, with the cover and being able to read the liner notes and see who contributed to the project.

• zumiee said, on November 5, 2018 at 8:21 am

Yeah, I still like CDs. Some performers still do pretty elaborate packaging: lyrics, liner notes, etc.

5. zumiee said, on November 5, 2018 at 8:23 am

Fun fact: McCartney played most of the electric guitar on “Helter Skelter,” and Lennon played bass on the recording.

6. unca_chuck said, on November 5, 2018 at 8:27 am

Ahh, yeah, I do still listen to CDs in the car. Some bands I like the greatest hits style format of Spotify but some I need to listen to the full albums. I still have Twin’s turntable but I haven’t used it as much as I thought I would.

None of my cars are bluetooth enabled, so I’m old school there. But I can use the cassette tape-to iPhone thing in 2 of them.

7. unca_chuck said, on November 5, 2018 at 9:58 am

Got to say, all I’ve ever listened to of Jerry Reed was in Smokey and the Bandit.

8. alleykat69 said, on November 5, 2018 at 10:42 am

Old School yeah that’s me, still mow that back 40,gardening, house cleaning, change the oil(SUV, lawnmower,boat)
    I like classic rock 98.5 the bone107.74
    But now my sons radio station streams up in the bay area on 104.5 KFOG 6am-10am called “The Woody Show” his name is Jason but goes by Menace, along with Woody,Ravey&Greg their out of Burbank and have a huge following, I believe #1 in their time slot and now have over 22 sister stations they stream too around the USA!! So I listen to them on my way to work because hey he’s my kid and I’m proud of what he has accomplished!!

• sfsarge said, on November 5, 2018 at 10:47 am

That’s really cool Kat.

• alleykat69 said, on November 5, 2018 at 2:19 pm

Thanks Sarge, yeah perks are great too, I get a bunch of cool t-shirts and caps from him,and football & baseball tickets occasionally..

• unca_chuck said, on November 5, 2018 at 3:14 pm

Your son is Menace? That’s too much. Very cool! I have to listen to that.

My daughter DJ’ed fro a couple years at the St. Mary’s radio station. She had a blast. I would post anonymously to play obscure Zappa tunes, and all kinds of weird shit. Fascists eat donuts by the Pop o Pies, or Cardboard Condo by the Mentors . . .

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 5, 2018 at 1:31 pm

Old School is having a GM in place before the off season GM Meeting.

• zumiee said, on November 5, 2018 at 1:45 pm

lulz!
      I wonder who’s representing the Giants.
      Send Will Clark! That would liven up the meetings.

10. alleykat69 said, on November 5, 2018 at 1:38 pm

Are Old School is just are baseball team, probably the oldest in baseball..

11. djloo27 said, on November 5, 2018 at 2:56 pm

When I go to a sporting event I actually watch the game, not my phone.
    Sometimes I’ll even buy and use a scorecard…

• zumiee said, on November 5, 2018 at 3:11 pm

Filling out a scorecard is a must for me. Rarely do I not keep a scorecard at a game.

12. blade3colorado said, on November 5, 2018 at 2:56 pm

I don’t watch television – cable, satellite, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc., except online for live sporting events (mostly boxing, MMA, baseball) and first run movies. When in Vietnam, I hang my own laundry, as I don’t trust the housekeeper, who has stretched out my T shirts along the neckline in the past.

By the by, Farhan Zaidi, Dodgers GM, is being offered an executive position with the Giants . . . He hasn’t accepted yet.

• zumiee said, on November 5, 2018 at 3:16 pm

It’s hard to see him taking the job. He’s going to want to trade some fan favorites, and that won’t fly with Baer.

13. djloo27 said, on November 5, 2018 at 3:11 pm

I drink crappy beer out of cans.
    I walk or take the subway as much as possible instead of driving.
    At the track, I mostly bet Win, Doubles, and Exactas.
    I balance my checkbook without a calculator…

• blade3colorado said, on November 5, 2018 at 3:21 pm

Thank you Loo . . .I almost forgot, I don’t drive much either. In Vietnam, all taxis (what they call Grab taxi or motorbike). Here in the States, same deal insofar as not driving – I walk everywhere. Maybe I spend $20-30 on gas every month.

14. unca_chuck said, on November 5, 2018 at 3:25 pm

I vote. That’s old school, right?

My kids vote. My oldest worked for the Contra Costa County Conservation, and worked for Congresswoman Susan Bonilla. We made sure they were at least partly aware of the political climate growing up, but my girls both got heavily into Bernie Sanders in 2016. They went astray when Hillary got the nomination and voted for Jill Stein. I told them a vote for Stein was a vote for Trump, but they didn’t care. Now of course they do.

Pretty sure they voted straight Dem this time around. Funny thing is, we are all registered Independents.

• zumiee said, on November 5, 2018 at 3:31 pm

Someone once told me (after I voted for Nader in 2000) that the Green Party stands for:
      Getting Republicans Elected Every November.
      I can’t really disagree with that.

• unca_chuck said, on November 5, 2018 at 3:46 pm

Yeah, Nader took votes from Gore, that’s for sure. Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

15. djloo27 said, on November 5, 2018 at 3:32 pm

I shoplift gum and candy bars…

• unca_chuck said, on November 5, 2018 at 3:46 pm

I used to steal packs of smokes.

• djloo27 said, on November 5, 2018 at 3:51 pm

I’m sure I told you about my friend who was a severe hunchback and was detained by a supermarket security guard because they thought he was trying to steal a turkey…

• unca_chuck said, on November 5, 2018 at 8:03 pm

Nope. Was his name Igor?

16. djloo27 said, on November 5, 2018 at 3:38 pm

I still like knee high tube socks. I don’t understand those ankle socks – so uncomfortable.
    I stopped wearing shorts at age 14…

• zumiee said, on November 5, 2018 at 4:22 pm

Cargo shorts were all the rage a few years ago. Shorts that had like 10 pockets.

17. zumiee said, on November 5, 2018 at 4:27 pm

So pointless announcing “finalists” for MLB awards. Such a lame attempt at marketing. The American public couldn’t care less. Announce the winners and be done with it,

18. djloo27 said, on November 5, 2018 at 5:54 pm

What do you guys think about Panik to the Yankees straight up for Sonny Gray?

• djloo27 said, on November 5, 2018 at 6:02 pm

Nothing fancy – old school deal.
      Like Duane Kuiper for Ed Whitson…

• blade3colorado said, on November 5, 2018 at 6:10 pm

I’m down with that. However, Buster Olney is saying that “2nd baseman are a dime a dozen this season.” Consequently, the Yankees will have plenty of options. Also, what do you think of the Giants sending Craw to the Yankees for prospects (Didi is injured and not expected back until June or July)?

• djloo27 said, on November 5, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Indications here are that they plan to move Torres to SS while Didi’s out which could be longer than they’ll admit publicly. I really think Panik for Gray is a perfect deal for both sides…

• alleykat69 said, on November 5, 2018 at 6:22 pm

There probably just sign that punkass Machado.Yanks don’t give a shit who joins their team..

19. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 5, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Some Flappers already mentioned similar things, but I’m all about tangibility. Of course in this online world, not much is tangible anymore, and that’s fine, but I still crave it. I don’t buy stuff online I can’t touch or try first. At university over here, supposedly no hard copy of anything, everything electronic and it goes on the Google drive for students to access. Fine, but I still make photocopies and give handouts and use *gasp!*, books. The young folk today cannot be allowed to forget how to actually hold a pen and piece of paper and take notes, for chrissakes. And I’m still a big fan of pitching, defense, and the 3-run homerun, god bless Earl Weaver.

20. snarkk said, on November 5, 2018 at 6:44 pm

I would be down w/ Panik for Gray.
    Hanson can play second, make more errors than Panik, but still be more valuable offensively, for sure. Gray is worth a shot at some new scenery. And, wasn’t Curt Young his pitching coach with the A’s when he was good? But, what’s his velocity these days?…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 5, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Agree, and Panik might be the only player with much trade value anyway and I’m down with letting Hanson man 2nd base until he proves he can’t.

• djloo27 said, on November 5, 2018 at 8:18 pm

From MLBTR, Snarkk:

As for Gray, the right-hander was shelled more often than not when pitching at Yankee Stadium in 2018 but thrived on the road, so it’s not surprising to see numerous clubs expressing interest. Gray’s fastball velocity held strong in 2018, and his swinging-strike rate (10.1 percent) was right in line with that of a league-average starter. Gray’s ground-ball, strikeout and home-run rates were all sharp, as well. The Yankees seemingly altered his pitch selection without much success in ’18, as he threw fewer four-seamers and more curves and two-seamers than ever before.

It’s easy to see why several clubs in larger parks would carry interest — especially if they believe that a return to a more traditional pitch mix for Gray would help him inch toward his peak form. He’s something of a pricey roll of the dice, depending on the interested party, as MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz projects Gray to earn $9.1MM in 2019 — his final season of arbitration eligibility. But Gray’s track record, home/road splits and some solid peripheral metrics place him among the game’s more intriguing buy-low pieces this offseason.

21. zumiee said, on November 5, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Did I read correctly that Torres hit 9 3-run HRs this season? It doesn’t seem possible.
    How many 3-run HRs did the Giants hit as a team this year? 2 or 3?

22. zumiee said, on November 5, 2018 at 7:55 pm

Cowboys losing on a Monday night. That’s a groovy thing.

• djloo27 said, on November 5, 2018 at 8:33 pm

• Macdog said, on November 5, 2018 at 8:48 pm

Cowboys losing on any day of the week is a groovy thing.

23. djloo27 said, on November 5, 2018 at 7:59 pm

Gray can fill Cueto’s slot for a year and he’ll love ATT after getting roasted in the Bronx.
    Panik is exactly what the Yanks need. Lefty bat, solid D, affordable and a hometown boy…

24. unca_chuck said, on November 5, 2018 at 8:06 pm

Wow. The boys are toast. If Michigan goes south to end this college football season I could see Harbs going to Dallas. ALthough MNichigan is starting to play better after their opening loss to ND.

Great to hear the Cowboys getting booed off the field.

25. Flavor said, on November 6, 2018 at 4:41 pm

good. fuck this bitch.

26. Flavor said, on November 6, 2018 at 6:43 pm

not sure if this is good or bad yet. But it gets Sabean a little further away from decisions and hopefully Bochy moves on gracefully