New School

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 6, 2018

Yesterday’s old school thread was fun, thanks to those who contributed. I was surprised no one mentioned “going to the library” but maybe literally nobody does that anymore. What’s going on down at the library these days?

Ok, today let’s springboard to the future. 50 years from now. Think of something that is normal now that you don’t think will exist or happen in 50 years. For instance, it’s unthinkable for segregation to exist today but a little over 50 years ago it still did.

I’m gonna go with watering your plants or washing your car. Water will be too valuable to waste on something like that in 50 years. Hoses outside your house will no longer exist. Does that sound stupid?

Stupid like this?

Regarding the Gray for Panik trade proposal: eh, I think the Giants are going to just DFA Panik so the Yankees can scoop him up for free. Panik is slow and weak and injury prone. What value does he bring to a line up?

1. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 6:36 am

I go to the library a lot. Books, unfortunately, are kind of expensive. Libraries are awesome.

• blade3colorado said, on November 6, 2018 at 7:03 am

Ditto . . . Got two right now – American War by Omar El Akkad and City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin. Fifty years from now? Hardly anyone will own a car. No reason to with self-driving cars. Also, all cars will not be powered by fossil fuels. Actually, all of this will begin to happen in the late 2020s.

2. sfsarge said, on November 6, 2018 at 7:53 am

I’m gonna say in 50 years no one will go to the movies anymore. First run films will be available to stream from home.

3. unca_chuck said, on November 6, 2018 at 7:57 am

Not reading as much as I should be. And we have been to the library a few times in the Creek. That being said, I hope they figure out a better way to vote. You see shit going on in the South where folks stand in line for 5 hours for the right to vote. Unless they’ve been purged. This isn’t Guatemala. This is the fricking United States. It is wholly pathetic that we can’t come up with a simple way to cast a vote and not be questioned or forced to jump through hoops.

Of course that’s just voter suppression. Blade, if things go wrong today, the fossil fuel industry will be going strong for 30 more years.

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 6, 2018 at 8:48 am

We live across the street from the main library in our town and go regularly. It’s pretty much just people reading and stuff. A pew research study in 2017 found that Millennials in America are more likely to have visited a public library in the past year than any other adult generation so maybe what’s old is new. I’m sort of surprised at your segregation take. Just in San Jose alone there are a significant amount of public schools that are effectively segregated by race and socioeconomics. Most cities continue to have this issue. Looking at the efforts to block voter access to the polls is something I wasn’t expecting to see again in the 2000s.

50 years from now? We’ll all be serving our robot overlords.

I try not to mention politics in this space so my comments above are my take for the year. That said I would like to encourage everyone that visit here regularly to vote. I don’t care who you vote for. Just vote

• Flavor said, on November 6, 2018 at 9:27 am

I mean the fact that it was outlawed 50+ years ago. Not that it isn’t practiced in one form or another to this day.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 6, 2018 at 9:44 am

Fair enough. I misread your meaning. I guess I mean that its not unthinkable today because it is still happening in very real ways. For what it’s worth, Wendy Vitter, Trump’s pick to serve as a federal judge for the Eastern District of Louisiana, was advanced despite declining to say whether the Supreme Court correctly decided a landmark case that outlawed racial segregation in schools (Brown v Board).

• unca_chuck said, on November 6, 2018 at 9:50 am

It’s all part of the politics of division. And this’ll be my last political rant here. Listen to what the candidates are pushing. On the right it’s fear, uncertainty, doubt. They have control of everything yet still pander to ignorance and fear. Like the slogan Make America Great Again, it wasn’t broken before. Now? Hate crimes are up, mass shootings are up, the hate spewed by the administration on a regular basis is outrageous. And Trump wants to gut what remains of the ACA. Including pre-existing conditions. Yay! Let’s give thoughts and prayers for those poor insurance companies forced to actually cover people. Oh, they don’t have to anymore? Win win! Give us your money, and we won’t give you care! How people vote for the right astounds me.

The middle class will be saddled yet again with tax cuts for the rich as McConnell and Ryan want to raid social security and medicare to fund their abject greed on top of the 1.5 billion windfall they just gave themselves. And yeah, Trump wants to reduce the capital gains tax. Yay! Who makes up the difference?

The stock market is doing great! How many of the middle class have a stake in the market? 20%? 30%? The folks that actually voted for him? I’d say 5%.

If Trump comes through this day with the House, then we are in for 30 years in the wilderness. Those at the bottom of the ladder will die in the streets as they lose all their safety nets. Yay! Vote Red!

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 6, 2018 at 10:32 am

That phone video is pretty funny.

6. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 12:10 pm

It’s hard to to summon up the will to go to a movie theater anymore. Big screen at home, without having to deal with the irritating public. It’s not bad at indie theaters, but the multi-plexes have gotten pretty abysmal. Even with the recliner chairs some of them have. At the multi-plex, you continue to see blue cellphone screens shining during the movies because people are compulsively addicted to their phones. At the indie theaters there is far more respect for the movie theater experience.

• sfsarge said, on November 6, 2018 at 12:15 pm

On top of paying $25 for a popcorn and a drink

• zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 2:12 pm

That, too.

7. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Paper newspapers may be completely gone in 20 years or less.It’s not good for our nation, or democracy in general.

• zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 12:13 pm

I don’t think lots of people will read electronic newspapers in the future. They’ll just try to get their news on Facebook or Twitter, which is not a great scenario. It’s basically happening already. Not good.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 6, 2018 at 12:27 pm

I feel bad for folks losing jobs but it’s just a different form of the information and those sites mostly are simply aggregating news sources, many of which are traditional brands. The problem is the inability to think critically about information that is presented – guessing you see this more and more in your profession. Or no?

• unca_chuck said, on November 6, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Or comedy shows. Frankly I think the Daily Show, Last Week Tonight, and 60 Minutes (not really comedy) brings more in-depth news coverage of important events to light than all the major news outlets.

They are all entertainment-based now anyway. Fox is a major joke as they blur the line between reporting and aggrandizement every day. The other side is equally as ludicrous. I mean, why cover these stupid pep rallies the president throws? All they do is garner animosity for the head count.

So many things are broken in the country and they stand to get a lot worse.

8. unca_chuck said, on November 6, 2018 at 1:25 pm

There’s a theater in Danville that has a bar, and you can get drinks in the theater. They’ll also bring you your popcorn. Pretty nifty.

9. Irish Kevin said, on November 6, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Cable tv and dish, I am so close to cutting the cord, can’t give up my sports just yet

• Irish Kevin said, on November 6, 2018 at 2:07 pm

I meant satellite, who wants to pay for stations they just don’t watch

10. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 2:15 pm

Yeah, Dirt, a big emphasis in teaching now is critical thinking skills, and evaluating sources and bias. That’s in the Common Core curriculum. Common Core gets a bad rap sometimes, but there is a lot in it that is good.

11. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 2:39 pm

I like to think that paper newspapers and paper magazines tend to get people to slow down a bit, and commit more time to reading them. That’s my theory, anyway. 🙂

12. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Speaking of bias in a source….Krukow on KNBR this morning saying that Will Clark should be in the Hall of Fame. We love Will Clark, but does anyone here seriously think he should be in the Hall of Fame?

• zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 2:52 pm

He had a terrific career, but the numbers for a firstbaseman just aren’t there. 2,176 hits. 284 HRs. He did finish with an .880 OPS and batting average of .303. A lifetime batting average over .300 is nothing to sneeze at, but some of the other numbers just aren’t there for the HoF.
      He did win one Gold Glove. And made the All Star team 6 times.

• Flavor said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:16 pm

Screw the HOF. Barry’s not in, I really don’t care about it at all anymore.

• zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Of all the sports, baseball obsesses about its Hall of Fame way more than the other sports. MLB Network spends a ridiculous amount of time on it during the off-season.

• zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:19 pm

I’d be stunned if he came to the Giants. He seems to have an ideal set-up with the Dodgers. He and Freidman are completely on the same page. It’s hard to see Zaidi and Baer (and Sabean) being a lot on the same page. Plus, Zaidi believes in the front office having say in the daily batting order and in the roles of relief pitchers. Bochy wouldn’t like that. Would Zaide be allowed to get rid of Bochy before next season? Probably not.
      But, hey, I could be completely wrong about all of this.

• blade3colorado said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Actually, he’s been offered the job . . . and has 24 hours to accept. Dodgers have given their okay for him to decide what he want’s to do.

• blade3colorado said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:22 pm

• zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:22 pm

I wonder how much autonomy he’s been promised.

• blade3colorado said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:24 pm

That’s the $64 thousand dollar question . . . Dunno.

• zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:25 pm

Also, what does Baer’s job title become? It doesn’t help to give someone the Presidency if Baer now becomes the Super-President. I’m curious about the corporate flow-chart going forward.

• zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:27 pm

I would say for sure the talent evaluation would get better, and the drafting would improve. (Well, it couldn’t get worse. That would be impossible.)

• blade3colorado said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Again, I don’t know. I like the hire though if it comes to pass . . . He immediately becomes the most educated person (if not most intelligent one) in the Giants organization, as I believe he has a PhD. He’s no one’s fool and I have to believe that he’ll have full autonomy to make changes. That being said, he’s a team player – he has a holistic view, where everyone in the organization contributes equally, e.g., is highly respectful of scouts and their input.

13. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:28 pm

Offer Zaidi this bonus: an extra million dollars of pay for every outfielder he gets into the All Star game.

14. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:33 pm

The Reds kind of quietly hired the Dodgers hitting coach, Turner Ward, as their own hitting coach. What’s up with that? Maybe Ward just got tired of getting assaulted by Puig.

15. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:40 pm

Zaidi didn’t go to the GM meeting for the Dodgers, which is very intriguing.

16. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:41 pm

It’s going to be a bit of a bitter pill for Sabean (and Evans) to see so much Giants fan excitement for Zaidi.

17. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:43 pm

But my closest focus today is on Denham vs. Harder. This will be a close Congressional race. Both sides got a tremendous amount of Party money as this was seen as an “in play” seat.

• blade3colorado said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:49 pm

For Colorado, Republican party money has abandoned Mike Coffman in the 6th district. I wish I could vote there, but I’m not in the district. Anywho, that’s our battleground race and it is a bellwether race according to many political pundits (much like the Florida’s governor race).

18. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:46 pm

The Denham campaign went very hard at Harder on abortion the last few weeks. It’s pretty much the “go to” move for Republicans when they are out of other ideas. For some people, abortion is the #1 voting issue, obviously.

• zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 3:51 pm

The Harder strategy was a little risky, IMO. They decided to not answer back regarding abortion, and just focus on other issues, basically conceding that some people are never going to vote for a Democrat anyway, because of abortion rights. It wouldn’t have hurt, IMO, for Harder to have made some kind of statement. Bill Clinton seemed to handle it the best of any Democrats back in ’92 and ’96. He said: “Abortions should be rare and safe.” Keep it legal, but do things to educate people and offer alternatives.

19. Flavor said, on November 6, 2018 at 5:16 pm

excellent. Fuck that bitch.

• blade3colorado said, on November 6, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Fantastic Flavor! Also hoping that Beto clocks Cruz in Texas.

20. alleykat69 said, on November 6, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Old School?
    Just had another telephone book wrapped in plastic sitting in my driveway, and theirs still people’s phone number&addresses in it!
    Killin me Smalls!!

• zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 5:33 pm

lulz!

21. alleykat69 said, on November 6, 2018 at 6:45 pm

Good news , The Giants just hired Farhan Zaida for head of baseball operations.
    Just in time for the Winter meetings, thank god, let’s get cranking!!

• djloo27 said, on November 6, 2018 at 6:54 pm

This is great news!

• blade3colorado said, on November 6, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Outstanding! Giants hit a grand slam on this hire.

• Macdog said, on November 6, 2018 at 7:06 pm

That’s the only one they hit in 2018.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 6, 2018 at 8:39 pm

lulz

22. djloo27 said, on November 6, 2018 at 7:22 pm

How about Tom Goodwin as our next manager?

23. sandog said, on November 6, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Some of you really follow these GM’s and seem excited about the hire—that’s cool. I don’t know a thing about the guy.
    Unless he has some magic power that helps him undo contracts, I’m not sure how he is going to make much of a difference these first few years, but I will hope for the best.

ps I don’t read newspapers or subscribe to magazines any more. I do still like writing things down and having things on paper. I also detest doing internet stuff on my phone. I’m still down with terrestrial radio as well, though I live so far out in sticks that I can only tune in one or two stations at my house. When I’m in the big city, I like setting up all my presets and surfing between Alt Rock, Hard Rock, and Classic Rock.

• unca_chuck said, on November 6, 2018 at 7:50 pm

Here that’s one station. At least the alt rock I listen to.

Stream the Bone. It’s the only rock station left.

24. blade3colorado said, on November 6, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Giants going to allow Zaidi to hire a GM. I understand he already has assigned Brian Sabean to Class A affiliate Salem-Keizer Volcanoes, where he’ll evaluate why they finished 15 games out of 1st place.

• unca_chuck said, on November 6, 2018 at 7:51 pm

No, i think Sabes was assigned an actual volcano.

25. unca_chuck said, on November 6, 2018 at 7:49 pm

And the House has flipped! The Dems, in all their stupid glee, have already started chanting for Trump’s tax returns.

26. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 6, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Following the elections from over here on Wed. morning…. ugh. I don’t think much is going to change. It’s Trump’s country now…. unless Mueller has something significant, which I doubt…. But, hey, new leadership atop the Giants, I’m up for that.

27. djloo27 said, on November 6, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Flavor, I’m surprised that you think Panik is so worthless. He’s a GG 2B whose proven he can hit in the majors.
    If he could stay healthy, hit in a normal stadium – in a better line up, he could be a solid pick-up. I’m obsessed with trading him to the Yankees…

28. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 6, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Tom Goodwin… Loo, where did you come up with that name? I liked him as a player. Also remember being surprised as hell one day a few years after Goodwin’s short stint with the G’s, attending an Atlantic League game, Somerset Patriots (Sparky Lyle, manager) and there was Goodwin, playing CF and playing out the end of his career in Somerville, New Jersey. Ah, for the love of the game….

• djloo27 said, on November 6, 2018 at 8:55 pm

I know he spent significant time coaching for LA so he came to mind with the hiring of Zaidi.
      And I believe he’s the 1B coach of the current World Champions…

29. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 6, 2018 at 8:54 pm

I don’t think I realized that the Giants would be doing 2 new hires: the head of baseball ops, AND that guy gets to pick a new GM. That’s great news. I guess manager would be next. Wonder what Baer’s new title will be, maybe just President of Theme Park, Shopping Mall, and Parking Lot Development…..

30. djloo27 said, on November 6, 2018 at 8:59 pm

Old school follow up:

When was the last time any of you guys took a bath?
    I mean like in a tub…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 6, 2018 at 9:20 pm

By myself? Decades. Being sponge-bathed by a local lovely? Not so long ago.

• zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 9:29 pm

My last bath was about 13 years ago.

• Flavor said, on November 7, 2018 at 5:57 am

45 years ago?

31. James said, on November 6, 2018 at 9:25 pm

Mrs. James is a librarian at UC Berkeley. I go there to say “hi!” from time to time.

Adam Schiff is now free to poke at and torment the breathing mass of festering garbage occupying the White House. That was only thing that mattered to me in this election.

Picking up Zaidi is probably more interesting than any players they might have acquired without him. Regardless of any checks he has on his authority, he may choose not to clean house right away.

32. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 9:34 pm

Newsome won governor. He reminds me of the Garcetti character in “The Wire.”

33. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Feinstein won her bid to be a 90 year old senator. I didn’t vote for her. I find the idea of a 90 year old senator ridiculous.

• James said, on November 6, 2018 at 9:56 pm

OTOH, I do hope an 88 year old Supreme Court justice is in the cards.

34. zumiee said, on November 6, 2018 at 9:48 pm

So far:
    Denham 50.8%
    Harder 49.2 %
    Pretty darned close.

• James said, on November 6, 2018 at 10:04 pm

If it’s close like this, the Dem loses every time.