Farhan Zaidi

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 7, 2018

Come on down? The most encouraging thing about this is that they found someone nationally desirable to take this job. That tells me he thinks there’s something to work with here. If there is, I don’t see it. Old, slow, weak hitters, an average pitching staff, a terrible farm system, a bloated payroll….

Well, I guess that’s what he’s got to fix, right?

Baggs had an interesting comment in his article at The Athletic:

“You do not lure someone like Zaidi with money. You lure him with creative control. You lure him with intellectual freedom”

So that means change is coming. Though nothing is going to change immediately. We need a house cleaning, Zaidi knows this.

1. Bozo said, on November 7, 2018 at 6:39 am

I doubt the Giants have dropped their “Win Now” strategy, so I have to think Zaidi bought into that and that is what he found challenging.

In getting under the tax, the Giants have positioned themselves to go after someone like Harper. By resigning Bum, if the team isn’t doing well at the deadline but he is, then they could trade him. Longo and Craw have had their career years but can still surprise, with Panik and Belt you just never know, a Posey rebound after surgery? Maybe. Last year the team was competitive until the injuries kept mounting, so who knows. If they go out and get a Harper maybe it will be like 93 when they went out and got Bonds or it could just be another collapse by the AS break.

• Flavor said, on November 7, 2018 at 6:46 am

Fiddling around with all the players that lost us 187 games the last 2 years is probably not going to stimulate Zaidi’s creative side….

• Bozo said, on November 7, 2018 at 10:38 am

A stat geek has a creative side? Sorry, James. 🙂
        Look what he has on his plate in his first year, he gets to be creative by having Crawford bat higher in the order against LHers, batting Posey in the bottom of the order in the second half and what days should the team Docs wrap Panik in bubble wrap etc. For entertainment value, he gets to see how red he can get Bochy’s face when he tells him to do those things.

2. blade3colorado said, on November 7, 2018 at 6:52 am

We’re still in the wilderness for the next 2-5 years, but at least we now have the “Man In The Wilderness” to lead us out.

• Flavor said, on November 7, 2018 at 6:55 am

Can’t believe you beat zumiee to this one. Well done.

• zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:08 am

Yes; that’s a great one. 🙂

3. Flavor said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:36 am

FP on KNBR this am saying that of what he knows about Zaidi (and he knew him when he was with Oak) is that the “team” meets with the manager every day going over every possible LU situation and what to do in those situations. Man, Bochy ain’t gonna be cut out for this.

4. blade3colorado said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:55 am

Here’s an interesting profile of him. It was done last year and is long, but it gives you a very good overview of him.

• willedav said, on November 7, 2018 at 8:10 am

thx very interesting. If nothing else he brings a fresh set of discerning eyes to the table. His experience is that of a winner, with low budget Oakland and top $$$ Dodgers. Given some time and Giants resources great chance he brings Giants out of doldrums and team looks quite different going forward.

• blade3colorado said, on November 7, 2018 at 8:41 am

I agree Willie. I like the fact that he has a sense of humor and maintains friendships/loyalty (e.g., Beane). This guy is well educated and more important, intelligent. He also is a collaborator, which should comfort the “old school” Giants brass. He has been successful at everything he does. So, I hope the Giants embrace him. He is easily in the forefront of baseball analytics and we are extremely fortunate to have him.

• snarkk said, on November 7, 2018 at 8:48 am

I see where he “favors aggressive promotion of prospects”.
      That’s not in Boch’s wheelhouse…

5. snarkk said, on November 7, 2018 at 8:16 am

Surprised and encouraged by this Zaidi hire. Let the stables cleaning begin.
    Also encouraged by the results in the House of Reps. That should lead to some cleaning and light shed on cockroaches, too…

6. willedav said, on November 7, 2018 at 8:21 am

I put the OLD in Old School. I had on loo’s high socks (with shorts) at the gym today as always.
    I get the Chron delivered to the house every day and was in local lib (2 great ones withing 10 minutes drive) Monday night. Read Black Klansman and T Orange Native American take on Oakland There There recently, both great.
    Do employ the pc to stream local non com jazz station and play cds every day at work on machine I bought at Target for $29.
    Currently 67 years running without a cell phone and have never sent or rec’d a text msg.
    I stopped coaching b-ball this spring but when I used to scrimmage middle school or HS kids and I popped in a mid range jump shot, “Old School” was only thing I said to them.

funny, a gal called into work asking about a travel bag for her laptop she’d seen on our company website. The one she mentioned was way too small and I suggested something different. She asked, “Can you text me a picture of it?” Uh no, sorry dear.

And to F Zahidi and all here, may the Great Karmatic Equalizer smile upon your form.

• blade3colorado said, on November 7, 2018 at 8:47 am

No smart phone? Not even a clam shell cell phone? In my opinion, Willie wins “Old School” title in a rout.

7. gianthead said, on November 7, 2018 at 8:58 am

At SFO flying back…have not Flapped because I flew last Tuesday mother ended up in hospital…2 surgeries later in Santa Cruz, my vacation was destroyed:)

At least jeff denham won!!! Right zum!!! Original reason I was supposed to be out here….

• zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 11:23 am

Yeah, Denham won’t have to go back to “farming.” That’s an LOL.
      And he can continue to warm the back bench in Congress. Maybe get some coffee for the other guys.

8. snarkk said, on November 7, 2018 at 10:38 am

Bochy isn’t going to like following some egghead’s lineup and rotation recommendations.
    They should now just kick Bochy upstairs, blame it on Zaidi, and move on with a new field manager.
    Maybe that was the plan anyway…

9. unca_chuck said, on November 7, 2018 at 11:02 am

I think the season is lost anyway so they’ll give Bochy his farewell tour year and make the switch after or during next season.

• snarkk said, on November 7, 2018 at 11:24 am

I suggest an Opening Day/Bochy Retirement combo celebration, new manager on Day 2…

• zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 11:28 am

Won’t be a retirement. He’s due $6 million next year. Next season is the Bochy $6 million tour. Last season was the Pence $18 million tour. The year before that was the Cain $22 million tour.

10. zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 11:25 am

” For entertainment value, he gets to see how red he can get Bochy’s face when he tells him to do those things.”

That could get real interesting. Bochy as a lame duck on the fast-track out.

11. snarkk said, on November 7, 2018 at 11:38 am

Will really be interested to see in this new regime in who will get the post of minor leagues supervisor, replacing Bell. That has to be a focus. The minors are in shambles…

• Flavor said, on November 7, 2018 at 11:50 am

It bell was running the minor leagues, and they were all in last place, um, why was everyone so hot on that cat?

12. snarkk said, on November 7, 2018 at 11:56 am

Bell had been on the job, what, one year? The players in the system were mostly all not his doing…

• blade3colorado said, on November 7, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Agree. The farm system is going to take years to resolve (absent trading for prospects, which isn’t likely with our old farts/contracts).

• Flavor said, on November 7, 2018 at 1:11 pm

My point was that, ok he’s on the job a year, and they still suck across the board. Zero impact. Although I wonder if he was responsible for D-Rod? Whoever found that dude should get a nice bonus.

13. unca_chuck said, on November 7, 2018 at 1:16 pm

Bell had one year, you don’t turn around a farm system in one draft. And we got Brett Bart, or whatever his name is. He looks like the real deal.

14. Flavor said, on November 7, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Here’s what I don’t get: why can’t zaidi just be the gm too?

• chipower9 said, on November 7, 2018 at 2:56 pm

He certainly could, and when asked if it is possible they not hire a GM immediately, and wait until the next off-season, he said it is possible. But he immediately followed that up with saying (paraphrasing) that he feels that it is important to get someone into that position.

15. wilcojoe said, on November 7, 2018 at 2:03 pm

This is the best offseason acquisition since Bonds in 1992. I cant understate the importance of this hire and I tip my cap to ownesrship for having the balls to embrace change. And change is most certainly what’s going to happen.

I will be shocked if Bochy is around past Christmas. This is a complete culture change for the organization but I know they will do him right as well as Sabean. Let’s face it, $6m a year for Bochy is chump change. He will probably get double that and a new fishing boat to sail off into the sunset. A new era of Giants baseball is upon us and I couldn’t be happier.

• chipower9 said, on November 7, 2018 at 2:54 pm

Agree, Joe. And I too want to hang out with this guy!

16. wilcojoe said, on November 7, 2018 at 2:07 pm

The article Blade posted above about Zaidi is a great read. The fact that he mentions The Sopranos and Friday Night Lights in the same breath was all I needed to hear. I want to hang with Farhan Zaidi.

17. alleykat69 said, on November 7, 2018 at 2:29 pm

“I think where were at, everything’s on the table”
    Farhan Zaida.. and that was mentioning Bum as well. I like this guy’s thinking 🤔 he’s going to be aggressive going forward!!

18. chipower9 said, on November 7, 2018 at 2:53 pm

Like others, I am both surprised and excited about the hire of Farhan Zaidi. So glad the Giants went outside of the org and looked to hire one of the top minds in the game. Should be exciting!

Oh, and only 98 days until pitchers and catchers report!

19. djloo27 said, on November 7, 2018 at 3:25 pm

Maybe he’ll go after the guy in Tampa…

20. zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Jeff Sessions out as Attorney General right after the midterms. Everyone saw that coming.

21. zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 3:56 pm

No officially declared winner in the Denham/Harder race yet. In Calif., you can vote by mail, and ballots can still be received by mail until Friday, I think, as long as they are postmarked by Election Day.
    About 110,000 votes cast so far, and Denham leads by 1,300. I’m doubtful Harder will win, but hey, we’ll see what happens.

22. zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm

No Trump Wall is going to be built. Let’s have a sad trombone for that.

23. zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 4:03 pm

Harper has rejected a 10 year/$300 million offer from the Nats.
    OK….

• djloo27 said, on November 7, 2018 at 4:15 pm

FWIW (not much), Brandon Tierney of CBS Sports thinks Harper’s likeliest landing spots in order are:
      Cubs
      Phillies
      Giants

24. zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 4:14 pm

John Barr, Giants’ longtime director of scouting, is someone that could be changed. He had a nice run of draft picks in the first decade of the 2000s, but he’s stunk lately. It’s hard to give him a lot of credit for Joey Bart, an obvious pick to take.

25. Irish Kevin said, on November 7, 2018 at 4:41 pm

Just hearing he “favors aggressive promotion of prospects” makes me all weepy eyed. I won’t have to complain about going after ancient vets that have injuries. Also I read (unfortunately) that Melon head did not opt out, I think the article said he has played in 71 games with the Giants over 2 years.

• djloo27 said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:04 pm

For some reason, pitchers don’t “play” in games.
      They “appear” in them…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:30 pm

That certainly has been true for a bunch of Giant pitchers the past couple of years…

26. Irish Kevin said, on November 7, 2018 at 4:50 pm

From the previous thread, Zumee comment about 84 year old Feinstein winning her senate seat, people voted against the Republican Party not for Feinstein, it pisses me off that the Democratic Party could not find someone younger than that,. 🤬🤬 I forget what state, but a 39 year old women won.

• zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Technically, people could have voted for Kevin DeLeon. In Calif. the top two vote-getters in the primaries make it to the final ballot, and that was two Democrats, Feinstein and DeLeon. Feinstein didn’t win an overwhelming victory over DeLeon. It was 54%-46%, which shows that a lot of voters wanted the younger person.

• zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 5:39 pm

But, yeah, Feinstein wins, and the younger generation of candidates gets blocked again.
        And Nancy Pelosi needs to retire. A lot of the GOP Congressional candidates campaigned against her, depicting her as the Wicked Witch of the West with “San Francisco values.”
        Denham mailers had Nancy Pelosi photos on them.
        She just needs to leave. She had a nice career, now go away.

• zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 5:41 pm

I have a Conservative relative who calls Nancy Pelosi “the gift that keeps giving.”
        It’s painfully true.

27. zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 5:48 pm

On the MLB Network, they are doing lots of interviews with people at the GM Meeting, at the same spot outdoors, to get a bunch of palm trees in the background for a distinctive Southern California framing of the picture. You expect to see the Hotel California across the street.

• zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 5:51 pm

• Macdog said, on November 7, 2018 at 6:01 pm

And we got a New Kid in Town.

• djloo27 said, on November 7, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Farhani come lately…

28. djloo27 said, on November 7, 2018 at 6:17 pm

This latest move might have brought us one step closer to my dream Giant RF:

• zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 6:24 pm

I think Dawg was the other Flapper with you on that.

• Flavor said, on November 7, 2018 at 6:40 pm

you’d hate him in like a week

29. alleykat69 said, on November 7, 2018 at 6:27 pm

You know I can’t stand the Dodgers till they day I die, but I will begrudgely give them credit and shocked that they allowed it to happen to allow the Giants to even talk to Farhan Zadiz!
    Baseball is different then other sports (football,basketball) baseball teams can turn down candidates for prospective interviews if they so desire.
    It’s a credit to the Dodgers to do this for Farhan, especially him coming to their biggest rival and in the west division, and with his 4 years of knowing all about the Dodgers, now can help the Giants even more because of that knowledge. It’s going to be fun ride going forward with these 2 teams imo..

• djloo27 said, on November 7, 2018 at 6:46 pm

Maybe they don’t think the Giants are their biggest rival any longer.
      Maybe they can see the wilderness 400 miles away…

• Flavor said, on November 7, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Or maybe they just planted a secret shit bomb weapon in our front office. You never know this guy could be all talk no action.

• djloo27 said, on November 7, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Ask a Knick fan how Phil Jackson worked out…

30. Flavor said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:06 pm

i listened to Tolbert and Lund interview him extensively on the way home today. He’s a very bright guy, knows how to talk to the media, etc. We’ll see what he can do. I was very interested to hear him say he thinks it’s dumb to try to build a team around one guy for 200 million. Hopefully that means he’s not considering Harper, a guy who would never come here anyway. Let’s just kill that dream now. I wouldn’t even want him. Maybe slightly more than Machado and he’d be terrible for us.

31. Flavor said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:06 pm

and if Harper turned down 300 million from the Nats he can go fuck himself. These guys, none of them are worth it. Fuck them all.

• snarkk said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Amen to that.
      Harper to the Giants? Pay that guy bazillions to get walked 2X a game, and he won’t hit nearly as many bombs to right center at ATT as he does into the launching pad RF and RCenter at Nats Park. Zaidi is smarter than that…

• sfsarge said, on November 8, 2018 at 8:11 am

POTD

32. djloo27 said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:12 pm

I think Panik for Gray has a real chance of happening, but I would love to expand it to Belt, Panik, Smarj and Strickland for Gray, Frazier, Bird and Ellsbury…

33. djloo27 said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:19 pm

So no one is going to represent the Flap tomorrow for McCovey?
    How is that ok?

34. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:33 pm

Loo, just once I would really love to see one of your trade scenarios actually happen. I’m pulling for ya…

• djloo27 said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:40 pm

Thanks, Paul. I think it dates back to childhood when those blockbuster, multi-player trades were pretty common. I loved memorizing them…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:52 pm

I also always loved the rare but fascinating 3-team trades. Don’t see that too often anymore.

• djloo27 said, on November 8, 2018 at 4:08 am

They are rare. I’m trying to think of one (in baseball) without looking it up…

35. alleykat69 said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:46 pm

And why would the Giants want a 35 year old stiff in Jacoby Ellsburgh coming off hip surgery ?? No way the new guy takes him on, there going younger not prehistoric, like they have done to often in the past.

• djloo27 said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:51 pm

I don’t want Ellsbury either, but you have to take some money back.
      It can’t be completely one-sided financially…

36. djloo27 said, on November 7, 2018 at 7:57 pm

I really hope at least one of you guys show up for McCovey tomorrow…

37. unca_chuck said, on November 7, 2018 at 8:32 pm

I’m gonna be there. Got a meeting at 11:30 but I’ll get there

38. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 7, 2018 at 8:43 pm

Laughed a bit at Craig’s 6:48, about the Dogs possibly planting a shit bomb in SF’s front office, a trojan Zaidi in a sense. But seriously…. it does seem unusual for LA to *allow* this… plus unusual for it to happen. Wondering why LA was willing to let this guy go, and wondering why he wanted to go….

• zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 9:00 pm

I checked on a Dodger blog- there’s a rumor that Zaidi and Friedman’s relationship was starting to get strained. More disagreements in the past year, and the poor showing against Boston straining things more.

• zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 9:04 pm

Above it all, they might all be catching some heat from Magic Johnson. Just my theory. Magic’s not a “it’s great that we just made the finals” kind of guy.

• zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 9:07 pm

I love Magic but he probably knows diddly-jack about baseball.

• zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 9:09 pm

And it wouldn’t surprise me if Lasorda is giving everyone an earful.
        Their biggest problem, though, is that Kershaw isn’t great in the playoffs.

39. unca_chuck said, on November 7, 2018 at 9:11 pm

And their home runs disappeared.

• zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Yeah, Bellinger in particular was a no-show for two years in a row in the Series.

40. unca_chuck said, on November 7, 2018 at 9:13 pm

Watching the Lakers is too funny. Rondo and LBJ are jacking 3s like Curry and Thompson. They missed their last 5 to lose the lead.

41. zumiee said, on November 7, 2018 at 9:18 pm

Magic is reportedly very non-pleased with Luke Walton.

• alleykat69 said, on November 7, 2018 at 9:45 pm

Well then why doesn’t Magic just let Lavar Ball coach the Lakers then?
      He’s already said he could do a better job then Luke..😂