A Day Of Reverence And A Bet to Be Made

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 12, 2018

Happy Veterans Day. Two flaps up to any vets out there and any and all victims of war. My old man is veteran and I salute you, dad. And this is the first Veterans Day in a long long time without The Twinner…..

Fall is flying by. Thanksgiving is right around the corner. The hot stove season should interest me more but it doesn’t. Even with the big brain on Zaidi crushing everything in its path it’s tough for me to envision any reasonable or interesting ways to fix this team. Besides that, the Giants are just so boring.

One thing I’m looking forward to: The 2018 Big Game. For the first time in years Stanford is going nowhere nationally so they might as well focus up on their next game. Oh, what do you know, it’s Cal; my fourth most despised team after The Dodgers, USC and Notre Dame.  Normally The Cardinal wipe out the Bears like an irritating bug stain on the windshield. I honestly can’t remember the last year Stanford lost. But the game is in Cal this year so they have a fighting chance to cover the spread. I’m smelling a looming bet between me and Snarkk who is awesome in every way except for his *odious* proclivity to supporting *them*.

Somehow Stanford is only favored by 2 over those shady bunko artists. Of course I will lay the points if you feel you need them but a more valid bet would be straight up, yes?

This picture is fantastic. Me and my dad are just off Moen’s left hand. The walk to the car that day was interesting. Scores of Cal fans screaming “Fuck you Stanford!!!” in my 13 year old face. Classy students…..

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 7.30.33 AM

1. zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 7:29 am

Snarkk will always have this, though. 🙂

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 7:33 am

No referee replay in those days.

• Flavor said, on November 12, 2018 at 7:34 am

the gif king is dead to me.

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 7:39 am

Sorry, man. It’s tough letting that gif go. It literally has a sad trombone.

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 7:37 am

I never noticed before the guy tearing off the goalpost padding so quickly.

• Flavor said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:03 am

somewhere, probably packed away in some dusty garage, those goal pads rest….Or who knows maybe they’re in the keg room at some dumb Cal fraternity….

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:07 am

I know of a church school that had a piece of Candlestick astro-turf on its playground for a few years.

2. Flavor said, on November 12, 2018 at 7:43 am

the guy that took the pic in the main thread died this week. He was 94.

3. zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 7:57 am

Cal stadium had the ugly artificial turf in those days.
    Candlestick had some of the worst astro-turf ever. Pure junk. Fortunately it was disposed of before the Niners started their dynasty. Even mud is better than astro-turf.

4. zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:00 am

The Niners/Giants game tonight is not must-see TV for the nation.

• Flavor said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:02 am

fire up a bunch of draftkings teams, interest will rise quickly.

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:05 am

I used to be in a fantasy football league many years ago. I won it one year. Phil Sims was my QB, that’s how long ago it was.

• Flavor said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:19 am

fantasy sports has changed since then. Daily is about 100X more exciting than season long.

5. zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:03 am

I think the U.S. defeated Japan in baseball yesterday, but I dozed off before the end.

6. zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:11 am

100 years ago WWI ended, a particularly insane war. Millions of people died as Europe tried to destroy itself over insane nationalism.

7. zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:16 am

Awesome attempt at stealing home.

• Bozo said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:20 am

That cracked me up.

• unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:43 am

The frog layout. That is awesome. I don’t think the catcher tagged him.

8. Bozo said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:27 am

I’m curious to see if Zaidi will do any trades with the A’s this year. How long has it been? Since Sabes came on board? Longer? I really don’t remember the last time the two teams made a trade.

9. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:40 am

Dave Henderson?

• Flavor said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:00 am

Traded Kutcher for him

• Bozo said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:10 am

They did? Man, the Flap just went full circle on me

• Flavor said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:34 am

actually that wasn’t with the A’s, we sent Kutcher to Boston to complete the trade for Hendu. Then we released Hendu and he signed with the A’s……little known fact: we drafted Kutcher in the 4th round of the 1979 draft….

• unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:44 am

Yeah, he was in that video of the ’87 pennant.

• Bozo said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:44 am

I guess Ernie Riles for DLew back in 90, could be the last one.

10. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:42 am

Nationalism is on the rise in Europe (Poland, Germany), South America (Brazil), and of course, here.

Trump’s strategy would not preclude starting a war to keep himself in power.

11. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:55 am

To those who served, thanks for your service. GF was in WW I, and my father never got out of Pensacola for WW II as he turned 18 in November 1943, but he did learn how to fly and went to college on his GI Bill.

12. zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:42 am

I may have mentioned all this before:
    My biological father was in the Air Force, so I was born in a hospital on a U.S. Air Force base in Japan.
    My step-father (my dad), was an older dad, who served as a supply truck driver in Europe in WWII after D-Day.

• unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 12:08 pm

Yeah, my father was Army Air Corps. By the time he left (1947) it was its own branch, the Air Force.

Fun fact, 3 years after my father died, we found out he had a child before he got married to my mom. It was his roommate’s GF that he got pregnant, in like 1948. She skipped town with the kid after my dad’s parents (Catholics) and her parents (Protestants) couldn’t agree on anything and wouldn’t stop fighting.

He (Danyll) found out about his 5 younger brothers and sisters by reading my dad’s obit in the SJ Merc in 2006. We were able to get to know him in 2008 when he came here for a SEMA conference in SF in 2008. Dear old dad took that secret to his grave.

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm

Speak about fate/destiny/will of God, if your father married the first woman…no Chuck and no Chuck’s daughter…hard for any of us to think this is just all random shit or is their a master plan somewhere…

• unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 1:29 pm

Yeah, the mind boggles about things that happened 70 years ago in a dorm room at MIT.

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2018 at 1:35 pm

Funny…my kid brother in law is an MIT grad. Unfortunately he already had a GF (only girl he ever dated) before attending grad school there and they moved in together. We did not care much for her and the doofus ended up marrying her….

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2018 at 1:37 pm

And since he went to MIT, I guess he got one past the test tubes???

13. zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:51 am

A lot of people around the nation slept in today.
    This is a cool audio clip of this song. A rehearsal demo.

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2018 at 12:36 pm

Very awesome!!👍

14. Flavor said, on November 12, 2018 at 12:05 pm

BTW Snarkk, most of the bets I get involved in have to do with paying for the other dude’s drinks all night. So factor that in when you’re deciding whether or not you want to risk a bet on your shaky Bears

15. gianthead said, on November 12, 2018 at 12:48 pm

The best part of the picture is the goober Stanford sax player has the oh shit I pooped in my pants look….you can read his next thought…”Oh mommy help me, I am about to get crushed by this monster…”

Speaking of getting crushed, I get back to this cold weather from the beautiful week in Santa Cruz stuck in a hospital and spend all weekend sick and have not been able to get any updates on my boy Denham…up 2k on election night and three days later he is down 2-3,000.

Any further updates zum? He had an agriculture transportation business I believe after he finished at Cal Poly. Wonder if he stays in the game if there is not a recount?

And mother is still in ICU after what will be 2 weeks tomorrow morning…

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 1:06 pm

Harder is currently 3,000 ahead. Those lazy liberals waited until the last minute to mail in ballots. 🙂

• unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 1:24 pm

Or those shady repubs hid them. Rick the dick Scott is the one I’d really like to see go down.

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2018 at 1:32 pm

I think Repubs are just as lazy….they decided not to vote. Thing I learned in 1998 while on the Hill and thought impeaching Clinton was a mistake. There are more Democrats than Repubs…when you stir them up and they turn out, much side loses. Why I am all for voter suppression:)

• unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 1:36 pm

He suppresses the vote as Sec of State for the gov’s race he’s in, resigns as Sec of State, and then whines about having to count all the votes. “How dare you try to steal back the votes I stole!”

• unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 1:39 pm

The right isn’t lazy, GH. 1/3 of the country got Orange Julius Caesar elected.

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Ok Rick Scott does resemble a penis but he was well regarded as a Governor. Very strong approval numbers. DeSantis, now likely in a better position to hold on, is actually a literal dick…I could not care less about him. Total jerk. Putnam, his Repub primary rival, should actually be Governor. Was way more experienced. And true nice guy.

I was told this incredible story by Putnam at a fundraiser. He was one of about 4-5 Members of Congress travelling with President Bush the morning of 9-11 in Florida. Putnam’s retelling how they are given the option to either stay on the ground or jump in the motorcade back to Air Force One is novelesque. You see the movies where a President is whisked away at the sign of a threat at mortal speed, the one Tom Clancy movie about a nuke in a Baltimore stadium during a super bowl is one of the best and the one Clint Eastwood movie where he is a secret service agent also is a great scene trying to get the President to safety. Well this story is exactly that but obviously non-fiction.

As the motorcade heads to Air Force One with Rep. Putnam and his colleagues in different cars than the President he describes that the entire motorcade is travelling at speeds well over 100 and absolutely no stopping or slowing down till they reach what I remember was a military base where they had flown in.

They then spend hours flying randomly over the US and eventually landing in a base in Louisiana because the Secret Service would not let them fly back to DC immediately. They eventually made it back to DC later that evening. What a tale.

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2018 at 2:25 pm

I think you may be confusing the Georgia race…the Repub is pretty well ahead for a recount but he was using all kinds of shenanigans with his office…but it is a sign of a changing south politically. We lost a South Carolina House seat that is probably 60% Repub… Virginia is a completely different state politically than when I got here 25 years ago. North Carolina is pretty close to a 50/50 state and now Georgia is slipping away as a Repub lock. Texad may be in play statewide in the next 10 years. If Repubs dont start appealing to minorities, especially Latinos, we are finished long term…

16. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 1:38 pm

that’s the problem with the Republicans right there, GH. They are cheaters and liars. I mean so are the Dems, but not at the scale of the right.

I suppose the 1st amendment is a pain in your ass a well. Or Marbury v Madison.

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2018 at 2:06 pm

I only believe in legal voter suppression of course Chuck…the reality is that to dampen turnout you need to go negative in certain instances or to tone down rhetoric etc. etc. If it is a contest of turning more of your voters out, my side loses every time based on just voter registration.

Repub white men were lazy this election. Looking at the exit polling, there is a gap of white women swinging to the Dems, McConnell opening his dumb mouth couple weeks ago to say they would go after Social Security and Medicare cuts was asinine (talk of entitlement reform cost Repubs the Congress in 2006 and pretty much marginalized Bush entire second term) did not help. Helped swing white suburban women to vote Dem (Trump certainly the major factor as well) without white men voting in larger numbers for Repubs in the opposite direction. So as I say F white men…

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2018 at 2:09 pm

And getting back to Rick Scott…no way we let him lose. That recount would be tied up in knots for months with every legal move made until we could get the supreme court to weigh in:) Senator Nelson will not win that seat.

At least I’m honest…

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2018 at 2:11 pm

Plus the Arizona Senate seat is lost…

• unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 2:42 pm

Florida is the big prize. Hopefully the Dems won’t roll over like Gore did in 2000.

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2018 at 3:09 pm

We had the US Supreme Court…but as the state newspapers went back through the recount Bush did win by the narrowest margins by about 500 votes…but even NBC acknowledged I’m a story that while Repub voters in the panhandle were waiting to vote when news outlets started declaring Gore the winner…

17. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Scott is a slug of a man, and his kowtowing to developers is fairly disgusting. Flint Michigan will be nothing compared to Fla in a few years.

18. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 2:53 pm

Anyhow, enough of that.

19. zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 3:54 pm

Grandal is now a free agent.

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Dodgers are going all in on Barnes at catcher.

20. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 12, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Actually, the Arizona seat is *won* … 🙂

21. snarkk said, on November 12, 2018 at 7:02 pm

OK, BF. After at least a decade, Cal has a shot.
    You’re on — in this Bears v Tree “Tilt for the Ages” !
    Screw the weenie spread.
    It’s mano a mano, baby. Straight up or down. Bears to win outright !

Oh, and define drinks “all night”. I like the Bears, but I ain’t no simpleton; I ain’t talkin’ bottle service at the Bellagio if my Bears turn into widdle cubbles.

BTW, those “Cal” kids that yelled some shit at you — they HAD to be JC wannabes wearing Cal merch. Cal people can be boisterous, but in a very respectful ‘Ol Blue sorta way.
    Bring it ON, Pee on the Tree!!!

• djloo27 said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:02 pm

Hey Babalugats! We got a bet here!

22. alleykat69 said, on November 12, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Oooh 😲 Yeah Baby I feel a bet coming on and drinks between Snarkk&Big Flavor!!

23. djloo27 said, on November 12, 2018 at 7:54 pm

#22’s got some moves.
    Wasn’t that Vic Washington’s old number?
    He could scoot a little, too…

24. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Yeah, Vic was in the backfield with Delvin Williams. Great combo back in the day.

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:02 pm

I think Williams is now the sports guy on a Sacramento news show.

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:05 pm

That’s not correct. It’s Del Rodgers.

• djloo27 said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:03 pm

I think one year, Delvin Wiliams and another guy both rushed for 1,000.
      Maybe not VW…

• djloo27 said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Nope, never happened.
        Was thinking of Wilbur Jackson…

• unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:45 pm

Roger Craig and Wendell Tyler?

25. zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Niners lose.
    Big shock.

26. zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Kings in a battle with the Spurs. Bagley looks terrible.

27. djloo27 said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:44 pm

Used to like John Bagley of BC back in the Big East glory days…

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:00 pm

That name sounds vaguely familiar.

28. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 8:44 pm

Shanny sure finds a lot ofd ways to blow 4th quarter leads.

29. alleykat69 said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:10 pm

I was heading back home from Tahoe once, decided wth let’s play some blackjack last minute, gotta on a roll against this lady dealer, ended up winning $400.00, I looked up at a tv monitor noticed the 49er game was on and the 2nd half kickoff just started and I see little Dexter Carter running it back 98 yards for the TD!! Had to keep playing after that, just thought it was a good omen , that and a dealer I owned for once..

30. zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:12 pm

Fox is a heck of a player. Spidery build, talented guy.

31. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:12 pm

I remember John Bagley, he played at BC during my time in Boston. I’m not a big basketball fan, but I went to a couple of games back then, BC was a fun team. Number of Celtic games I went to: zero.

• unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Shit, I’d have gone just to see the Gaaahden

• djloo27 said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:41 pm

I had a thing for Dana Barros, too…

32. zumiee said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Kings defeat the Spurs for the first time in four years.

33. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:17 pm

Wow. The Dubs had 3 turnovers in the 1st half. 4 in the first minute of the 3rd. 8 for the quarter. And the refs call 16 fouls in the 3rd quarter to boot.

34. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:49 pm

Worst game I’ve seen the Warriors play in years, and they had a chance to win but go to overtime.

35. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 12, 2018 at 9:58 pm

Charlie, oh, I went to Boston Garden a lot.. for Bruins games. I lived in the North End for 5 years and just walked over near game time, easy to scalp decent and cheap seats (at that time)…. Good fun.

• unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2018 at 8:12 am

ahhhh. Would have loved to see that old building.

36. […] Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 13, 2018 snarkk said, on November 12, 2018 at 7:02 pm (Edit) […]