A Bet Making The Game Bigger

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 13, 2018
snarkk said, on November 12, 2018 at 7:02 pm (Edit)

OK, BF. After at least a decade, Cal has a shot.
You’re on — in this Bears v Tree “Tilt for the Ages” !
Screw the weenie spread.
It’s mano a mano, baby. Straight up or down. Bears to win outright !

Oh, and define drinks “all night”. I like the Bears, but I ain’t no simpleton; I ain’t talkin’ bottle service at the Bellagio if my Bears turn into widdle cubbles.

BTW, those “Cal” kids that yelled some shit at you — they HAD to be JC wannabes wearing Cal merch. Cal people can be boisterous, but in a very respectful ‘Ol Blue sorta way.
Bring it ON, Pee on the Tree!!!

________________

“Pee on the tree”??????

……Sorry, I’m back. Snarkk’s disrespect of The Tree sent me into a 12 minute blind rage. When I finally snapped out of it I had reduced everything in my living room to rubble. Now just doing a slow burn, I’m able to continue with the thread…..

“Drinks all night” can be translated into “beers for the event” of your choosing. A Giants game would be the most likely common ground for us but another trip to the Pleasanton track next Summer would work or if you’re into March Madness you can join me and San Diggity in Reno next March for a weekend you won’t soon forget. Regardless, the winner can put the “event of beers” in the bank to be cashed in some time in the future.

I’ll assume that qualifies as “bet on”. Down on The Farm we play for keeps, rarely lose, and I’ll cap Saturday’s beat down with a long, satisfying stream of urination that will cascade to the bottom of Tightwad Hill.

1. blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2018 at 7:43 am

2. willedav said, on November 13, 2018 at 8:19 am

Y’all are funny. I think if (and it’s a big if) Shaw allows Costello to cut loose and throw the ball even with a lead Cal would not be able to outscore them. but I’ve seen him go into a shell and run the football when he didn’t have to and the other team stuffed them. This cost them lost time they lost when he ran the ball 3 times from in close and had to settle for FG in game they lost by 4.

Cal’s D is pretty good. If score is like last year 17-14, they could pull it off. But again that would be more on Shaw than anything else.

Funny how Shaw is able to recruit superior athletes (on both sides of ball) to his football program while Haase has such a hard time finding them for mens b-ball.
    In Chron is a column on last 7 Ws in a row by Shaw and the list of stars he has had is tremendous–McCaffrey Stepfan Taylor Ty Montgomery Andrew Luck even K Hogan and of course the wondrous Bryce Love, who is better than most on one leg.

3. Bozo said, on November 13, 2018 at 11:09 am

” Down on The Farm we play for keeps, rarely lose, and I’ll cap Saturday’s beat down with a long, satisfying stream of urination that will cascade to the bottom of Tightwad Hill.”

I think there might be a song in there.

• unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2018 at 11:36 am

It will be Trump’s swan song . . .

• Bozo said, on November 13, 2018 at 12:49 pm

I think the cascade would be something more solid than piss, if it involves Trump.

• willedav said, on November 13, 2018 at 11:51 am

rarely lose lol. they’ve lost 4 already, same as Cal.

I had the first lp by Richie Havens, Mixed Bag that I really dug at the time. He did a nice version of “San Francisco Bay Blues” which iirc was written by Jessie Lone Cat Fuller, who was a one man band all by himself.

• Bozo said, on November 13, 2018 at 12:47 pm

Richie Havens was great and seemed like a pretty nice guy. I was thinking more in line with David Bromberg’s, I Will Not be Your Fool, so many great lines in that song, but come on “I graduated Phi Beta goddamn Kappa from that school” has to be right up there.

4. zumiee said, on November 13, 2018 at 11:56 am

Yeah, you don’t want to disrespect the awesome tree mascot. 🙂

• willedav said, on November 13, 2018 at 12:32 pm

oh don’t get the Big Guy riled up!
      Before they became Cards they were Indians. My HS (hated crosstown rivals of Blade’s) was the same in the ’60s and we had same colors red/white and I believe same fight song (with our name in it of course).
      Later they changed nickname to “Firebirds” which is up on the walls inside the gym. Whatinell is a firebird anyway?

• gianthead said, on November 13, 2018 at 12:47 pm

I believe it was a car🤣

5. alleykat69 said, on November 13, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Stanford’s DL in the early 70’s were called the”Thunder Chickens” named after one them “Dave Tipton? cause he ran like a chicken..

• Flavor said, on November 13, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Pete Lazetich married into my family years ago. That dude can put away the beers….

6. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2018 at 1:29 pm

I vaguely remember this . . .

7. mrsprtdude said, on November 13, 2018 at 2:37 pm

love the video Chuck! Brings back memories of my youth!

8. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm

Damn, I didn’t think this would happen in November…. maybe a symptom of the recently finished lousy season… but I’m missing baseball talk. Hope there’s a new GM very soon and at least rumors can start flowing…

• djloo27 said, on November 13, 2018 at 6:19 pm

I sure don’t miss Giant games…

• blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2018 at 6:41 pm

Hey Loo . . . If you get a chance (or maybe you already have done so), watch The Drop with Tom Hardy. Great movie about a guy (Hardy) who tends bar in his cousin’s pub and looks the other way when local mobsters use the joint as a temporary bank. Shot on location in Brooklyn. James Gandolfini is in it also (last role). Stunned by the ending.

• djloo27 said, on November 13, 2018 at 7:50 pm

Sounds good, Blade. Gotta look into that. Thanks…

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2018 at 10:16 pm

I saw that movie.
        Really good. Gritty, as they say…

9. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2018 at 6:35 pm

Denham is going down!

10. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Just found out i live in the hardest working city in America. Shout out to the Creek!

Don’t know what that really means but hey.

11. snarkk said, on November 13, 2018 at 7:03 pm

Yeah, BF, game on !
    Unfortunately, I’m in Texas this weekend and will probably not see the Tilt for the Ages.
    I’m counting on the upgraded Cal defense to handle bland play calling by Shaw. IF Cal can avoid the usual killer turnover and unfortunate inability to close in the 4th quarter, they’ve got the best shot in years to get ‘er done…

• Flavor said, on November 13, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Excellent. The Stanford Alumni don’t look too kindly upon the prospect of losing a Big Game much less actually losing one. Shaw knows that if it came down to winning a bowl game or a Big Game, and he could only win one, he’d take the Big Game win hands down every time. The alumni demand it. So expect Stanford’s best shot this Sat and Shaw will coach like his job depends on it— and it nearly does.

12. Flavor said, on November 13, 2018 at 7:35 pm

oh my….

13. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2018 at 8:42 pm

Scott is the one who I’d love to see go down.

14. zumiee said, on November 13, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Congrats to Harder!
    Denham’s biggest problem during the campaign was Trump.

15. Bozo said, on November 14, 2018 at 6:09 am

The Padres welcome their newest minor league team, The Amarillo Sod Poodles.
    You gotta love minor league ball.