Happy Thanksgiving

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 22, 2018

This is gold. Eat something good today.

1. chipower9 said, on November 22, 2018 at 7:16 am

Wishing all ya’all out there in Flap Universe a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Only ~83 daze until pitchers and catchers report…⚾️⚾️⚾️

Saw where Specs was removed from the roster and claimed by Zona. It is gonna be an interesting ride with Zaidi at the helm. I am optimistic and cannot wait to see how things shake out for our team.

Make it an awesome day, all!

2. willedav said, on November 22, 2018 at 7:47 am

Remember another one of Arlo’s best
    Coming into Los Angeles (rhymes with)
    bringing in a couple of keys
    don’t touch my bags if you please
    mister customs man

Enjoy, everyone

hella baseball card Chuck. Gibson in ’68 before they lowered the mound was untouchable.

McCarver repeats the story about him and Gibson that Uecker used to tell about him and Lew Burdette. Guy on the mound is struggling and mgr. signals the younger C to go out and talk to him. Before he gets halfway there the pitcher yells, “get the F back behind the plate. Only thing you know about pitching is you can’t hit it.”

3. Flavor said, on November 22, 2018 at 8:03 am

best part of the blog on Thanksgiving used to be when Twin and Stix and others would share their eats and recipes.

• willedav said, on November 22, 2018 at 8:48 am

yeah, lot of others here are good cooks/foodies
      . You know I was thinking about Jesse Ventura, who used to be governor there. Loved to hear him yell “No Gorilla” at Monsoon when they were doing commentary on wrestling.
      I bet The Body would have pardoned Stix and maybe even come by his house and uh enjoyed his hospitality.

• chipower9 said, on November 22, 2018 at 10:59 am

Agree, Twin recounting the days when he had his restaurant, or what he was preparing for that particular year. Stix describing his fixings via his wood burning stove and dutch oven. Great stuff.

I love to cook, but the kids are all elsewhere this year, so Gail and I are going to a friend’s house. So no cooking here today. Gail made cranberry chutney (some deliciously bad ass stuff), and we are taking wine and an apple pie.

Flavor. Stix asked me to wish everyone here at the Flap the best. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

4. Bozo said, on November 22, 2018 at 9:19 am

Arlo’s, Alice’s Restaurant song and movie are always a fav in our house for Tday. I also like to throw in the Band’s Last Waltz film. It was the Band’s farewell show at Winterland on Tday in 1976.
    Have a good one y’all and remember don’t Boo-day, eat Boudin.

5. willedav said, on November 22, 2018 at 9:38 am

Story on MLBTR from Heyman says Mets open to trading Thor. long thread, lot of interesting takes on compensation yada yada.
    Always wondered if teams plant stuff like this to “unofficially” see what teams might be serious partners.

6. snarkk said, on November 22, 2018 at 10:33 am

Sharing TGiving day with some friends at their house. Expecting about 16 in all. They’ll be doing the heavy lifting for food prep.
    We’re contributing my mother’s traditional cranberry-orange relish, then roasted rosemary sweet potatoes with bourbon glaze, and pumpkin pie. Cheers everyone ! …

• Flavor said, on November 22, 2018 at 11:20 am

That sounds freaking tasty

• snarkk said, on November 22, 2018 at 11:39 am

I forgot to mention two bottles of Oregon Pinot Noir.
      Yes, pretty tasty. I’m not biased of course, but my mother’s relish is really good. Mrs. snarkk makes it a week in advance so it has time to “get happy” as Emeril used to say on his Food Network show. She makes about 3 quarts of the stuff. After Thanksgiving, we put it on any kind of white meat, and on sandwiches. The snarkkettes sneak it like candy. I like holiday mincemeat pie (not really meat in it, but fruit) over pumpkin, but I can’t find it anywhere anymore. Marie Callenders and Shari’s restaurants still sell them this time of year, I think, but there aren’t any of those in my area anymore. Grocery stores now rarely sell any frozen pies, and if they do, very limited selections…

7. zumiee said, on November 22, 2018 at 11:38 am

I like Thanksgiving, but I don’t like some foods associated with it.
    Cranberries
    Sweet potatoes and yams
    Gravy

• snarkk said, on November 22, 2018 at 11:44 am

Shoot, there goes half my plate, zum ! …
      😉

• zumiee said, on November 22, 2018 at 11:49 am

Pumpkin pie rules, though!

8. zumiee said, on November 22, 2018 at 11:45 am

Thanksgiving can be an edgy holiday these days, with family members of different political beliefs brought together.

• Flavor said, on November 22, 2018 at 11:57 am

saw an interesting tweet earlier that went something like this: “Don’t argue with your uncle. Mobilize your cousins”.

• zumiee said, on November 22, 2018 at 12:02 pm

Excellent! 🙂

9. Flavor said, on November 22, 2018 at 11:57 am

how many of you would ever order what you’re going to eat today at a nice restaurant? Lol, no one would. Thanksgiving food is largely overrated.

• zumiee said, on November 22, 2018 at 12:04 pm

It’s comfort food. There’s something cool about that.

• snarkk said, on November 22, 2018 at 1:23 pm

Comfort food and alchohol — needed for the crazy uncle and strangers eating with you…

• Bozo said, on November 22, 2018 at 1:25 pm

I’d eat gravy on anything and probably have. As far as ordering a turkey meal at a restaurant, let me send out a Flap heads up to never eat at Bates House of Turkey (in Alabama off of I65). How can a place that specializes in turkey fuck it up you ask? I know, right? Thats what I thought, but they did and probably still do. Avoid…

10. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 22, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Early Friday morning in Hanoi, just wishing Flappers everywhere a happy Thanksgiving. Craig, laughed a bit at your comment about t-giving dinners being over-rated, as you know from my FB pics I did indeed pay for a dinner last night, and actually it was pretty tasty, that pub has their own smoke house out back. I can count on 3 fingers the number of decent t-giving dinners I’ve had over here in the past 15 years. Knew a guy from the US down in Saigon years ago who so loved turkey and was so frustrated that it’s not widely available here that he started his own turkey farm. I don’t think it succeeded, but at least he had his own turkeys. Enjoy your evenings, gentlemen (?)……

11. unca_chuck said, on November 22, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Small T-giving with the girls in Seattle. The boy is down from Chico till the smoke clears.

Smalll smoked turkey with mashies and green beans. Fairly quick and painless.

I’d eat turkey all the time if it didn’t take so long to make. Gravy and mashed potatoes are 2 of my favorite food groups. Beer, steak, and rolls are the other 3.

12. unca_chuck said, on November 22, 2018 at 6:05 pm

Found some Brother Thelonius at Whole foods. 10 buxks a 4-pack but hey, it’s thanksgiving.

13. unca_chuck said, on November 22, 2018 at 6:22 pm

In that weird lull where the folks are gone, and the kids aren’t married, so the holidays have shrunk down to nothing.

Yay!!!!!! I may not get a tree this year.

14. zumiee said, on November 22, 2018 at 6:57 pm

I made it through the Thanksgiving political gauntlet. I heard a lot of conspiracy theories and alternate facts. I heard someone say the border with Mexico should be a giant moat filled with alligators. I heard the name Hillary Clinton many times. Ah, good times.

• Flavor said, on November 22, 2018 at 8:26 pm

the last political convo I had at a family dinner was Christmas 1992 with Uncle Al. I had just graduated college and I brought all my left wing Lewis and Clark bullshit home. I was on fire. Mid way thru my tirade against everything Uncle Al stood for I paused to breath and he looked at me and just said “Craig, when you get a job and have your own family you’ll see things differently.” I actually took that in, never forgot it and 26 years later I am here to say this: “Uncle Al, I’ve thought this through. I have a job and a family. You were full of shit then, I was right , I still am, and fuck you.”
      Hey, that’s why I don’t talk politics at the dinner table….

• djloo27 said, on November 22, 2018 at 9:06 pm

As long as we’re venting a bit, I believe my wonderful (really) nieces, nephews and their spouses look at me as the quintessential crazy, drunk uncle. Even though they adore me (who wouldn’t?), I resent that cliche. If you were born in the 80’s and grew up in East Cupcake, Long Island you have no handle on a guy born in the mid 50’s and grew up in what used to be Brooklyn…

• Bozo said, on November 23, 2018 at 6:00 am

Loo, do you ever go over to the Brooklyn Bowl to see a show? A lot of New Orleans acts seem to go through there and I’ve wondered if it’s a cool venue.

15. djloo27 said, on November 22, 2018 at 9:17 pm

Plus I have a Scott McClain bat, 3 WS trophies and I’m gonna win the fuckin’ Super Bowl…

• zumiee said, on November 22, 2018 at 9:33 pm

I don’t know….Saints look real good. 🙂

16. zumiee said, on November 22, 2018 at 9:47 pm

Every once in a while I notice all the squeaking of basketball shoes on the court and it’s an annoying sound.

17. Irish Kevin said, on November 23, 2018 at 7:49 pm

Late to the party, thanksgiving was excellent, it was not at my house so no cleanup, it was at one of my in-laws. And my son and GF made the yams, bean casserole, and scallop potatoes, so all I had to to was eat. Then there wer 4 of us playing a card game called 13,, if you lost you had to drink a shot of Jack, fun times. I drank a few shots!, ha ha