Saturday!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 24, 2018

That link Snarkk posted at the end of yesterday’s thread was disappointing but not surprising. I’m guessing having a shithead racist team owner puts you in the majority. It does make you wonder though, what would Johnson have to do before he was pressured to sell the team? You would think that in San Francisco the bar would be low but the calls for him to sell are sparse at best.

College football couldn’t get any bigger today. I’ll take Ohio State just because it’s ingrained in me to expect Harbs to lose the big one although man, Michigan sure looks good right now.

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 24, 2018 at 7:39 am

Not agreeing with Hyde-Smith and her disgusting comments here but I highly doubt that a guy like Johnson is aware of conventional news (outside of financial reporting) in any way. He and his wife are apparently republicans, this is the last high profile race of this cycle and they’re sending a check in response to GOP fundraising requests that obviously don’t mention Hyde-Smith’s overt racism.

• Flavor said, on November 24, 2018 at 7:42 am

well, he sent the check a week after her “front row lynching” attendance comment. Seems to me if you donate the max you’d at least want to know who it’s going to support. And if that doesn’t matter to them because they just hand $$$ to a republican candidate without knowing their stance on anything or anything about them that’s nearly as bad.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 24, 2018 at 7:55 am

True but the max donation is less than peanuts to Johnson and social policy or beliefs have nothing to do with it. His only interest is maintaining what he views as favorable tax policy.

• Flavor said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:51 am

good point I guess. I know some very wealthy people (not quite at his level) that seem to care about issues other than a favorable tax policy. I guess that’s something that separates republicans and dems

2. Flavor said, on November 24, 2018 at 7:44 am

i expect we’ll see more of this but will in be enough to influence an ownership change? Unlikely.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:02 am

Agree with this approach and am not renewing season tix this year myself.

• Flavor said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:52 am

wow. If the team was winning would you still take such a bold stance?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 24, 2018 at 9:37 am

Lulz-fair question. Relative distance to access and my wife’s uncle being such a pain in the ass to partner with are the biggest reasons tbh.

3. Macdog said, on November 24, 2018 at 7:59 am

Wille, looks like there was still some interest in NYC for the Giants after the move to SF:

• willedav said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:36 am

Ha interesting, thx. Has anyone else written about this type of stuff from NY perspective
      ? Was LA/SF ownership vilified when they abandoned NY?
      Noticed Monmouth football team has been doing quite well–what division are they in? Playoffs?

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:19 am

The hits keep on coming for Hyde-Smith

• willedav said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:58 am

thx, great article quite interesting.

5. xoot said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:50 am

No matter how ugly the Mississippi race gets the republicans can’t lose. “That would be like the democrats losing in Berkeley,” said a talking head on national tv yesterday. Johnson is just a good rich republican doing his part to make sure Mississippi remains deeply republican. Hothead beater Schulman, infuriated by fans who trashed him for not publicizing the Johnson story earlier, suggested that many other team owners undoubtedly have similar political histories, but they don’t operate in the Bay Area so they fly by unnoticed. I think he’s right.

Personally, I’m more offended by the Franklin Templeton ads that show up behind home plate during ABs in SF than I am by Johnson’s “maximum” donations.

• willedav said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:57 am

As far as schools go, same stuff was happening in Boston. Read through a little of the Cousy/Russell book, a chapter on Louise Day Hicks and her Irish followers intent on keeping schools in their area as white as possible.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 24, 2018 at 9:42 am

Yup, it is still the Deep South. Let’s remember that Roy Moore the child molester nearly took Sessions vacated Senate seat just last year.

6. Flavor said, on November 24, 2018 at 9:49 am

Zumiee bad news for you and San Diggity Dawg. Dubs look like they’ve found their footing. Even on a back2back I’m expecting a wipe out tonight at Oracle. Enjoy the first 3 quarters before the garbage men take over the 4th. 🙂 🙂 🙂

• zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 10:41 am

Well, I do expect an attack of nerves for the Kings. They’re going to have to find a way to keep their focus and just play ball.
      It’ll come down to Fox having a very solid game. A good “measuring stick” game for him.
      And, oh yeah…..dump the Dubs!! 🙂 🙂

7. Flavor said, on November 24, 2018 at 10:50 am

This Michigan game, wow

8. blade3colorado said, on November 24, 2018 at 11:12 am

Thank you for sharing that article Micah. Fascinating, but all so true (and depressing). The new racism: Racism without ‘racists.’ Today, racial segregation and division often result from habits, policies, and institutions that are not explicitly designed to discriminate. Contrary to popular belief, discrimination or segregation do not require animus. They thrive even in the absence of prejudice or ill will. It’s common to have racism without racists.

9. blade3colorado said, on November 24, 2018 at 11:23 am

Willie, might remember or felt this way growing up in Sunnyvale . . . During the summer when I was 7 or 8 years old, Sunnyvale High School would open their swimming pool up to all the kids in the neighborhood via Sunnyvale Parks and Recreation. Sheesh, I remember that was the first time thinking I was different from others because my brother and I were the only ones with brown skin the first time we went swimming there. No other blacks or Latins in the pool. The area did change quickly, with an influx of Latins and then later, Asians. Ironically, I still remember not seeing any black people in grade school. Only until I was a freshman in high school, did I see more blacks and Asians. Today, I don’t even recognize Sunnyvale. It truly is a melting pot. That’s a good thing.

10. snarkk said, on November 24, 2018 at 11:28 am

I’m not giving this Johnson dude, “our” owner, any slack on this.
    OK, sure, he’s a Repub billionaire, so he’s automatically going to want another Repub senator in Alabamy.
    But, he’s got to have a phalanx of consultants and lawyers on beck and call, so wouldn’t it be logical that they’re on PR watch for him giving dough to racists? Maybe I give him a pass on the first one a few weeks ago. But, but now a second one made after she made that “hanging” remark? I smell some “I don’t care” principled contributions. And, that was no innocent remark by this woman. You think people in Alabamy don’t know code words? They’re experts at that, and this was barely coded — that was her problem. She was dragged kicking and screaming into a sorta apology given the history of lynching in good ol’ Alabamy.
    Baer must be having a PR aneurysm. Good. I hope the press finally, once, looks deep into this Johnson guy. He owns most of “our” damn team, and nobody knows shit about him other than he’s filthy rich and apparently likes giving money to southern racist politicians…

• zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 11:51 am

Well said. I was thinking of putting together a similar post, and you said it better than I was going to, including the Baer PR freakout that we know is happening right now.
      Maybe he’ll talk Johnson into doing a hostage appearance, with Johnson looking into a teleprompter, and mumbling through an apology someone has written for him.

• snarkk said, on November 24, 2018 at 11:59 am

I assume somebody has told Johnson that Zaidi is a darker skinned Muslim of Pakistani extraction. In Alabamy, that’s likely not a plus in your job interview, if you even get an interview…

• Bozo said, on November 24, 2018 at 12:42 pm

I think you mean Mississippi. Good rant though.

• snarkk said, on November 24, 2018 at 1:01 pm

Yep, my mistake.
        Mississippi is the state with Repubs proudly running Ms. Hyde-Smith.
        Alabama is next door. That’s where Repubs run child molesters for US Senate…

11. zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 11:56 am

Harbaugh losing the big one. Yep. Same as it ever was.

12. snarkk said, on November 24, 2018 at 12:16 pm

Ohio State skill players apparently too talented and quick for Harbs’ defense…

13. xoot said, on November 24, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Johnson approved Zaidis hire, as any sophisticated republican would.

• zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Johnson was probably quoted saying: “Oh yeah, the baseball team….whatever….”

• xoot said, on November 24, 2018 at 6:39 pm

yeah, the guy who publicly explained why he fired Neukom probably doesn’t pay attention to the franchise. Of course, he is in his mid 80s now. Time to cash in his chips. Meanwhile, what in the wide wide world of sports is agoin on here?

BREAKING: Major League Baseball donates $5000 to Cindy Hyde-Smith @MLB https://t.co/uF2RPW4SJh— Judd Legum (@JuddLegum) November 25, 2018

• xoot said, on November 24, 2018 at 6:53 pm

I don’t know if that tweet link works. The article attached to it says, among other things, that the mlb office of the the commissioner donated $5000. Here’s the heart of the piece:

“Over the past week, seven major corporations have asked for Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-MS) to refund their contributions. Earlier this month, Hyde-Smith told a crowd at a campaign event that she would be willing to attend a “public hanging.”

“But one prominent American institution is going the other direction: Major League Baseball. According to an FEC report filed on November 24, the Office of the Commissioner of Major League Baseball PAC donated $5000, the legal maximum, to Hyde-Smith’s campaign. The contribution is dated November 23.”

14. zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 12:36 pm

It’s a legitimate question.

15. snarkk said, on November 24, 2018 at 12:50 pm

IDK his contract term left, but Harbs might not survive as HC after this beat down by Ohio State. He’s 0-4 now against the Buckeyes, and that ain’t cool in Ann Arbor…

• Flavor said, on November 24, 2018 at 2:04 pm

good. fuck him. He’s an overrated hack who has Asbergers and has no business controlling the actions of other humans on a football field.

• snarkk said, on November 24, 2018 at 3:26 pm

He’s being roasted now on Michigan blogs.
        Sounds familiar…

16. Flavor said, on November 24, 2018 at 1:19 pm

just in case there’s any doubt how dumb Americans are, I give you exhibit A

• snarkk said, on November 24, 2018 at 1:45 pm

My kids are growing up to be adults in a nation where half the people are morons…

• djloo27 said, on November 24, 2018 at 2:31 pm

There’s nothing new about stupidity. There are just so many more ways to advertise it now…

17. zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 5:26 pm

Admittedly the Kings pre-game show is lacking. It has Jerry Reynolds on it. It has to be bad.
    He hit for the lousiness cycle:
    Lousy coach
    Lousy GM
    Lousy color analyst
    Lousy studio analyst
    The franchise fascination with this guy is a mystery.
    If I was going to guess, I think they somehow think that he is beloved by the fans. (I doubt it.) He has folksy midwestern witticisms. Yes, they’re painfully unfunny.

18. zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 5:29 pm

Reynolds was the coach when the Lakers outscored the Kings 28-1 in the first quarter of a game.

19. Flavor said, on November 24, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Hammer time

• djloo27 said, on November 24, 2018 at 5:45 pm

Hammer owned some top notch horses in his hey day.
      Him and his crew were fun to see out at the track.
      Racing is so lacking in personalities…

• Flavor said, on November 24, 2018 at 6:21 pm

he was a staple at Golden Gate fields. Might still be, I don’t know. I don’t get out there too often anymore.

20. willedav said, on November 24, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Kings are more than relevant, they are taking it right to Warriors.
    Speaking of whom–Iguodala 1 point in 15 minutes. Livingston has 1 hoop so does Bell Looney has 2 and Cook 0 in 13 minutes. Not enough shooter/scorers out there without Curry. Nice half by Jones tho…it’s just that this is news because other times he accomplishes so little.

• willedav said, on November 24, 2018 at 6:45 pm

And too many turnovers, their bugaboo even with Curry and Green.

21. djloo27 said, on November 24, 2018 at 7:21 pm

Sometimes when they run college scores across the bottom of the TV, I have to think for a second if it’s football or basketball…

22. zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 7:24 pm

Even with injuries, those darned Warriors still have two Hall of Famers on the court.

• willedav said, on November 24, 2018 at 7:30 pm

but imo that’s all they’ve got–if they stay hot, fine but if they cool off or make more turnovers they’re in trouble. Kings have better balance in scoring…they are actually more fun to watch even if Fox and Cauley-Stein having off night.

• zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Yeah, Kings not shooting that great tonight. Lots of misses close to the basket, too.

23. zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Good entertaining game.

24. zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Kind of a meh game from the two Euros for the Kings.

25. zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 7:57 pm

Cauley-Stein got no rebounds at the end. Too soft.
    Bagley had one of his better games. I like his aggressiveness.

26. zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:02 pm

Horrible inbounds pass at the end. Good grief.

Good game. Kings had their chances. Congrats to the Warriors.

27. Flavor said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Nice, easy win just as I thought with lots of garbage men roaming the court in the 4th Q. LQTM. Man, they gotta #FreeBagley that guy needs more minutes. Beast.

28. zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Learning process game for Fox. I like him. I think he’s going to get there.

29. djloo27 said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:15 pm

I’m not a big NBA fan, but I think the game lacks rivalries like other sports.
    I could be wrong. Yes I know about Lakers-Celtics.

Knicks – Bullets way back was the best one I can remember. They seemed to meet in the playoffs every year for like half a decade. Perfect match ups:

Reed – Unseld
    DeBusschere – Gus Johnson
    Bradley – Marin
    Frazier – Monroe
    Barnett – Loughery (and Fred Carter)

#geezermemories

• zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Bunch of Hall of Famers in there.

• zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:18 pm

6 or 7, I’m guessing.

• unca_chuck said, on November 24, 2018 at 11:12 pm

KD joining the Lakers would jazz up that rivalry a tad, eh? Watching Nate play Wilt as a kid was fun. West on Barry. Goodrich on Cazzie.

Although we rarely got the best of the Lakers.

30. zumiee said, on November 24, 2018 at 8:16 pm

Nice productive game from Buddy Hield, the guy they got in the Cousins trade.

31. unca_chuck said, on November 24, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Reuben Foster was arrested in the hotel where the Niners are staying in Tampa. Domestic violence.

Wonder if Shanny pays him like Harbaugh did with Aldon Smith after his DUI arrest, Jesus. Football is getting impossible to watch.

32. unca_chuck said, on November 24, 2018 at 11:08 pm

Monumental dumbshit. He may be cut looose by tomorrow.

• Flavor said, on November 25, 2018 at 4:56 am

it’s the same chick accusing him, too. Wonder if she says she made this up as well? What an idiot this guy is for staying with her. Cut this loser NOW.