Trading Bum…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 27, 2018

….for one pitching prospect? Why do that? I think Flappers have this one correct: it would be pointless to trade him for one pitching prospect and if they are going to trade him they should do it when his value is at its highest. There’s certainly no guarantee that he’ll have a solid, Bum-like first half next year but if he does THAT’S when you trade him. Nobody is paying up for him right now. Even then, he’d be a rental with only a couple of months left on his deal. Still, if he was dominant maybe someone would give up 2 studs and a fringe prospect for him in that scenario.

But I have seen the light, I’m not expecting much. At this point in his career nobody cares about when he did in October NEARLY 5 years ago. With his peripherals trending the wrong way he’s more valuable to us than anyone else. Disappointing, I know…

1. Bozo said, on November 27, 2018 at 6:48 am

To borrow from the old vaudeville bit, Niagara Falls – Kieran Lovegrove! Slowly we turned…step by step…inch by inch.

I wonder how much of Bum’s issues are due to that shoulder injury a few years ago?

2. willedav said, on November 27, 2018 at 7:25 am

No harm in listening to what kind of offer any team would make and there would definitely be interested suitors. That’s just not something you could say about most of the big contract guys.
    If Z can make a deal here it would certainly bring new energy and start ball rolling. I think he has a plan in mind to help replenish farm and improve the offense.

3. badassonmumgarber said, on November 27, 2018 at 7:32 am

No way, Bum will retire as a Giant because that’s what the casual fan wants and that’s what the Prince of Marketing, Larry Baer, wants.

4. willedav said, on November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am

Something to realize too…top 5 pitching prospect from another team with loaded farm system like Braves Yanks yada yada would be #1 for Giants. I think he brings back decent enough package ( young SP and maybe a hitter or prospect OF) with modest 1 year salary as opposed to high priced FA like Corbin looking for multi year deal.

Lot of good stuff on MLBTR thread from both sides on what his value is/who and what a team might give up.

This had to be part of initial discussion to bring in Z—no long term extension of $50-60 mil plus for Bum was gonna help team in long run.

5. Flavor said, on November 27, 2018 at 8:15 am

Here’s the deal: If Zaidi trades Bum he just can’t miss. That would be something he’d have a huge problem over coming with the fanbase.

6. unca_chuck said, on November 27, 2018 at 8:23 am

Bunnie did pitch a complete game shutout in the 2016 wildcard game. I don;t know how Zaidi feels, but it certainly is worth the risk to see how Bummie pitches this season, or at least to the deadline, to see what someone will do for him. He has to know this. Either the Yanks or Boston will break out the Saran wrap for a shot at Bummie come July.

That being said, if Bummie wants to stay, he’ll make it happen.

• badassonmumgarber said, on November 27, 2018 at 8:27 am

I didn’t know we had bunnies on our team, dude.

• blade3colorado said, on November 27, 2018 at 9:34 am

Second post ever here and you’ve assumed the “spell check” position? Troll . . .

• djloo27 said, on November 27, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Glad you mentioned the best live baseball experience of my life…

7. snarkk said, on November 27, 2018 at 9:08 am

If they can trade Mays and McCovey, they can trade this guy. They need bodies. The question is how many and how good can they get for him? By the time this team gets good again, his contribution to it will certainly be on the downslide. Makes little sense to me to have a guy next season pitching shutouts to 2 runs earned for 7, and the team regularly loses anyway. He could develop elbow trouble in late May, then where are we for a deadline trade? Yanks already gave up their top pitcher farmhand for Paxton, so Yanks may not be in the mix at least offseason, which is too bad…

8. unca_chuck said, on November 27, 2018 at 9:34 am

The thing is, we were in it through August with a anemic offense, a decent pen and wiggly SP. We don’t need a shit ton of new guys, we just need more consistent hitting, with some pop. 2 guys really could get this team at least in the mix. Provided no one runs away with the division. And we don;t populate with disabled list with half our fucking team.

9. willedav said, on November 27, 2018 at 10:17 am

I think trading Bum is the low hanging fruit easiest move. Dealing away other big $$ contracts like Posey Belt Craw Longo Smrdz Melancon will be a lot tougher and likely involve taking on another bad deal.

Yes Chuck I hear you they were .500 for long time but keeping Bum, paying him and a couple high priced OFs like A J Pollock means a lot more money if you can’t unload what you already have. And I do think the payroll vs. results gained last couple years does gall ownership some, and large part of Z’s job
    is trying to figure out better way to spend it.

• willedav said, on November 27, 2018 at 10:24 am

plus by saving $12 mil right now and of course what Bum might want going forward, it wouldn’t stop SF from signing an FA bat like M Gonzalez.

• unca_chuck said, on November 27, 2018 at 10:28 am

They can do that and keep Bummie. Our cracker owner can certainly go over the lux tax this year to engender good feelings.

10. unca_chuck said, on November 27, 2018 at 10:27 am

Sure, it’s an easy move, but getting rid of him now is a seller’s move 5 months before the season starts.

regardless of how the season goes, there’s no impetus to trading him now unless the offer is 3 solid prospects.

• willedav said, on November 27, 2018 at 11:15 am

I think the market is there for top contenders who are primarily looking for SP. Notice Yanks and LA already secured top line SPs; neither of these teams are hurting for bats nor are Brewers and others.

Just think this is part of plan to make team incrementally better–younger and more athletic, a piece at a time.

11. sandog said, on November 27, 2018 at 11:58 am

If they really wanted to keep Bum, they would have extended him a long time ago.
    Although, I do think it haunts the Giants that they traded all 5 of their legendary hall of famers from the 60’s and every one of those trades ended up looking awful. I bet there are some voices within the Giants that don’t want to repeat that mistake with Bum and Posey. I agree with them.

12. Bozo said, on November 27, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Question, would y’all trade Bumgarner for the same prospects Seattle got for Paxton?
    My vote would be no.

• Flavor said, on November 27, 2018 at 12:59 pm

Paxton is worth more than Bumgarner.

• willedav said, on November 27, 2018 at 1:09 pm

Ah that’s a good one man. I wasn’t into dealing him either but I can see both sides. Wonder if Braves or Brewers or Astros might come up with better deal.

Half the reason Giants get so much doom over farm is the best ones are all up now–D Rod Suarez Moronta Duggar yada yada. None of these guys are next Acuna, but seem like passable players at this level. What’s beyond them, idk.

13. unca_chuck said, on November 27, 2018 at 12:47 pm

Well, we wouldn’t get anything better. If there were 2 solid OF prospects and a pitcher, I’d think about it. We have nothing in the minors or at the big league level.

14. unca_chuck said, on November 27, 2018 at 2:09 pm

For the OF I mean.

15. mrsprtdude said, on November 27, 2018 at 4:18 pm

Tough call trading or not. How much did Atl pay for Donaldson?

• Flavor said, on November 27, 2018 at 4:55 pm

i think 23 mil, one year.

• djloo27 said, on November 27, 2018 at 5:24 pm

$23,000/yr would get me excited…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 27, 2018 at 5:46 pm

Boy, me too, Loo….

• blade3colorado said, on November 27, 2018 at 5:48 pm

This is why I’m glad Zaidi is making the decisions now. In effect, he has zero connection to Bum emotionally. Bum’s been in baseball for 10 years, with much of the the past two seasons on the disabled list. He has a 3.29 ERA over 2017 and 2018, which is a run higher than peak MadBum or as you said in the opening thread, “. . . his peripherals trending the wrong way . . .”

My opinion? I have none, except I trust the “Brainiac” to act decisively on Bum and the rest of the roster. We are so fortunate to have him making the decisions versus the brain dead Evans and passed his milk date, Sabean. By the by, I am not in the least bit worried about him not making any moves to date. Sheesh, he’s probably still evaluating our fucked up organization, including our minor league affiliates, front office personnel, and especially, the putrid roster. In my opinion, this is going to take at least 2-3 years to resolve, possibly more.

I forgot what our record was over the last two seasons, but it was terrible. The only thing that sticks out in this nightmare, is the 15-0 drubbing by the Dodgers on the last day of the season. I will never forget that.

• djloo27 said, on November 27, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Hope things worked out for you with the situation you explained last week, Blade…

• blade3colorado said, on November 27, 2018 at 6:35 pm

Thank you Loo . . . No, unfortunately, my wife’s family made more demands last week and I decided to scrap the trip. My mom and I were actually supposed to fly out to Saigon this morning.

16. Flavor said, on November 27, 2018 at 5:36 pm

17. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 27, 2018 at 5:46 pm

Checking my morning news over here, and I see that the Charles Johnson donation story made Yahoo’s *front page* news. Which means that all the Yahoos out there get to make uninformed comments, one way or the other. Just stay off the Flap, trolls….

• Bozo said, on November 27, 2018 at 5:55 pm

I was thinking that the Giants released Chase Johnson just to confuse the fans.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 27, 2018 at 6:38 pm

lulz

18. djloo27 said, on November 27, 2018 at 6:38 pm

Everyone continues to sell Bum short. He’s got size, strength, perfect mechanics and knows how to pitch even with the drop in velocity. He could have Andy Pettitte’s career…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 27, 2018 at 6:47 pm

Which is sort of why I think he’s more valuable to the Giants going forward than what they might get back for him. But hey, you never know: try trading him to the Pirates, the Giants always seem to get over on Pittsburgh on trades, maybe there are at least a couple of good hitting prospects that could be had. But one pitching prospect is definitely not worth it, yet that’s what the story said the Giants are thinking. I think I’m gonna go with Steve on this and trust the Z-Man at this point….

• djloo27 said, on November 27, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Guess you’ve gotten over Matty Alou for Joe Gibbon. Jose Pagan for Ducky Schofield.
        Still puking 50 years later…

19. djloo27 said, on November 27, 2018 at 7:09 pm

Ever think how amazing it is to make the major leagues as a switch hitter? Watching Mantle on MLB Network made me think of this. I’m sure we all tried it as kids. I could barely make contact hitting lefty. I played ball in the street and schoolyard with hundreds of kids – and later on softball with adults and I can’t remember one decent switch hitter…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 27, 2018 at 7:17 pm

Back in summer of ’80 living in Denver before moving to Boston, I played in a “co-ed” company softball league (is the term co-ed even still used?), in which all the male players had to bat their off-hand, so, most men batting lefty. I found that I had much less power lefty but had a more even batting stroke, hit a lot of line drives for hits. Kinda liked it. But could never hit quite like The Mick…..

• Flavor said, on November 27, 2018 at 7:22 pm

i actually switch hit all the way through high school. I’ve got a little more power left handed, better average right handed.

20. Irish Kevin said, on November 27, 2018 at 7:26 pm

I don’t think pitching is the problem. The problem is the offense. What is perplexing is the fact the Giants farm system, drafting, whatever cannot produce good hitters or power hitters. Why? That is the question, and where the Giants need to start looking to fix. In the mean time they are going to have to pick up hitters from somewhere. The scouts and the ones doing the drafting need to be held responsible for the lack of power hitters and guys that can just hit the ball consistenly.

21. willedav said, on November 27, 2018 at 8:41 pm

Given the general opinion in the F/G column bum’s skill set is definitely in decline, doesn’t that make hanging onto him until the deadline more likely to lessen his value than increase it? I think contending teams that want pitching are going after it right now and he is very reasonable for at least 2019.

I agree with Loo that Bum the competitor has a few good seasons left and will figure out how to get people out with different type of stuff. But I’d worry that longer Giants wait to retool/reload could easily just make it worse.

22. […] “willedav said, on November 27, 2018 at 8:41 pm (Edit) […]