New York Mistake

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 30, 2018

Not really sure what the Mets are doing but we needed a new thread so we can kick it around here if you’re interested. New York gets an aging second baseman on the downside of his career without his steroids and a top of the line closer. I’m not understanding this. Closers are a dime a dozen and they turn sour quicker than you can get “M-a-r-k M-e-l-a-n-c-o-n” out of your mouth.

This new GM is looking to make a big splash but outside of the closer what are they getting? And taking on Cano? And losing prospects? This looks like a terrible deal for the Mets…..

1. Bozo said, on November 30, 2018 at 6:56 am

I’m guessing the Mets feel like this will help them keep up with the Phils in the battle for third in the NL East, Diez is young, controllable and maybe the best closer in the game right now, so I get that. Maybe Cano is insurance for the day the NL gets a DH? I don’t know. They could have gotten Melancon straight up for Bruce in a salary swap and saved the prospects.

The Mariners are in full tear down mode, not sure about the rebuild part. Basically they are saying winning 89 games isn’t enough to build on. I know if I’m a season ticket holder for Seattle I’d be pissed off that I’m paying Major League prices to watch the Tacoma Rainiers next year.

I’m not sure which team got the better deal, but I do like that this seems like one of those old school baseball trades.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2018 at 8:23 pm

great take, esp. ‘Tacoma Rainiers’

2. willedav said, on November 30, 2018 at 8:02 am

Did they finalize who goes back—did Mets include McNeil or not? MLBTR says Mariners are sending $60 mil to Wilpons, meaning Mets only owe Cano $26 mil. He can still hit well enough even by 40 to make that worthwhile i’d imagine, plus they get the kid closer.

Like Bozo says, hard to see what Seattle gets out of it besides couple kids and J Bruce. Yikes. Sounds like they just threw in the towel to Stros and A’s.

OK so without Curry or Green (or Cousins or McKinnie) GS takes Toronto to OT on the road and loses one possession game, which I didn’t see any of. IF GS is healthy they have more top players and sounder bench. Any team that allows Jerebko to get 20 on them in their own building, wow.
    Only team that beats them is themselves, if they play sloppy don’t protect rim/rebound and won’t share the ball.

3. unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2018 at 10:32 am

This is a pretty good scenario for the Dubs. Jerebko is proving to be a valuable guy off the bench. Looney is coming around, and the bench is proving to be deeper and tougher than in recent memory, even with Livingston being basically a ghost. When Cousins gets here, we will be even more dangerous.

Seattle did it last year with smoke and mirrors. I guess they figure they can do the same and get younger in the process. Doubtful they go to the postseason with the A’s and Astros in their division, but who knows? If the Giants had done this in 2015 or 2017, we’d be in better shape.

4. cousinboogie said, on November 30, 2018 at 11:32 am

It’s really frustrating as a Dubs fan to have to win close games and deal with tough competition again like every other team in basketball history (except for Team USA). Struggling to win games and championships is unacceptable so we not only need Curry and Cousins and Durant and Green etc. etc. we also need at least Kawahi, LeBron, and Westbrook on the Dubs for me to feel comfortable about watching my team dominate the NBA without having to stress out like normal fans of every other merely mortal team has to do.

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 11:53 am

It’s an impressive dynasty they’ve built. They’ve already won 3 championships and their window is still wide open.

5. zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 11:59 am

The new 30 for 30 documentary on ESPN is very well done and powerful. The story of the downfall of Bobby Knight at Indiana Univ. It’s a great film because it begins as a story about Knight and then eventually becomes the story of one of his former players. It tells a story that a lot of people hadn’t heard before.
    It’s very troubling to me to see footage of the student and community reaction when Knight gets fired. It brings up all of my misgivings about the Midwest. In Trump country.

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 11:59 am

I think I saw the film on ESPN 2, but I can’t remember for sure.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 30, 2018 at 12:26 pm

Reds reportedly non-tendering Flavor’s main man Billy Hamilton.

7. blade3colorado said, on November 30, 2018 at 12:56 pm

Off topic . . .Trump’s 2 main men, Putin and Saudi Crown Prince high fives. lol

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 3:22 pm

They both have the awesome feeling of knowing they own an American president.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2018 at 8:30 pm

comrades-in-arms, or other appendages

8. blade3colorado said, on November 30, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Today is the deadline for the Giants to offer a contract to their arbitration-eligible players: Sam Dyson, Hunter Strickland, Will Smith, Gorkys Hernandez, and Joe Panik.

For shit and giggles, I hope Strickland and Panik are non-tendered.

• alleykat69 said, on November 30, 2018 at 2:37 pm

I’ll settle for the Gorkster and Dyson vacuum not to be tendered..

• blade3colorado said, on November 30, 2018 at 2:56 pm

Gorkys would be fine in my book too.

9. djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 3:06 pm

My man Wilmer Flores non-tendered.
    Anybody catch the latest Kareem Hunt highlight video?

• djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 3:37 pm

Chiefs are screwed because their star running back is a dumb fuckin’ animal.
      Can’t wait to get to the bar where I can vent properly…

• alleykat69 said, on November 30, 2018 at 4:25 pm

Yeah he sure is a fuckin dumbshit.Smacked her around pretty good,all on hotel cameras.
        This happened back in February? and just now coming out? And he’s played the whole year? Shit this is Ray Rice all over, throw in Ezkiel Elliot as well, without the suspension so far,another black mark for the NFL

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2018 at 4:41 pm

on KNBR yesterday they were discussing the risks associated with drafting Reuben Foster and we got snake eyes while the Chiefs who took Hunt took the same risks and it worked out great for them. Whoops. Guess not.

10. blade3colorado said, on November 30, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Hunter trying to keep the dream alive . . .

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 4:43 pm

To Alex’s credit he participates in the comments section of his Tweet. Some of the fans are not feeling it about Pence.

@SunnyOliver12 Replying to @PavlovicNBCS
      He also made major swing changes last year when he was on the disabled list and didn’t hit any better. No player ever seems willing to admit to the end.

Alex Pavlovic
      ‏@PavlovicNBCS
      Why should they?

‏@SunnyOliver12
      So they go out with some dignity

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2018 at 8:26 pm

good dialogue

11. Bozo said, on November 30, 2018 at 4:45 pm

I’m thinking our highest priority right now should be signing a catcher. Not only as a backup, but as insurance if Posey’s hip doesn’t respond before the season opens.

• blade3colorado said, on November 30, 2018 at 5:04 pm

Ahh, you reminded me of something I read today . . . Apparently, the Giants are kicking the tires (doubtful) on Realmuto and Posey may not be recovering on schedule (who knows?).

• Bozo said, on November 30, 2018 at 5:22 pm

I think the Nats are going strong after Realmuto. I was only thinking about maybe resigning Hundley, but getting Realmuto would change a whole lot going forward.

• Macdog said, on November 30, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Nats traded for Gomes from Tribe.

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2018 at 5:46 pm

that should tip the scales in favor of the Nats winning the World Series this year…..(as you know, I think quite highly of Atlee’s son in law….

• Bozo said, on November 30, 2018 at 6:09 pm

So the Nats get Gomes AND he’s Atlee’s son in law? My neighbor, who I go up to DC to see games with, used to play HS ball with Atlee. Whoa, gotta be in the front row now.

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2018 at 6:42 pm

Me and San Dawg text each other about Yan Gomes happenings at least 3 times a week during the season…..

• Bozo said, on November 30, 2018 at 6:46 pm

Road trip. See you and Dawg in DC this year?

12. Macdog said, on November 30, 2018 at 5:27 pm

From Heyman on Twitter:

Joe Panik, giants settle st $3.8M

Sam Dyson, giants settle at $5M

Panik actually gets $3.85M, a bit better. Deal is guaranteed #SFGisnts

13. Flavor said, on November 30, 2018 at 5:28 pm

Strickland and Gorkeys gone. Finally. Panik back at 3.85 mil

14. Macdog said, on November 30, 2018 at 5:32 pm

And . . .

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2018 at 7:33 pm

Moves way overdue…

15. Flavor said, on November 30, 2018 at 6:04 pm

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Another reason why I don’t pay much attention anymore to the NFL.
      Dudes going out of control off the field, regularly. Chiefs couldn’t have figured out in 9 months, without a video out to the public, that he lied? The vid comes out, they’re shocked just shocked, and he’s cut within hours. Gimme a break…

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 8:49 pm

This year is the least I’ve paid attention to the NFL since about 1979.

• djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 8:57 pm

How about giving me a fuckin’ break? This was the only thing in life I was looking forward to…

16. willedav said, on November 30, 2018 at 7:12 pm

Among others non-tendered, including Cory Gearrin by A’s is a certain swift footed CF for a NL Central team.
    lqtm
    Oh and Ehire got a raise to re up with Twins @$1.3 mil.

17. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 30, 2018 at 8:07 pm

Maybe I just don’t pay enough attention to this stuff, but I was surprised to see Dyson making more money than Panik…..

18. pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2018 at 8:29 pm

Billy Hamilton Beach not tenderized

19. zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Spurs dynasty officially over. Back to back 30+ point losses.

20. djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 8:53 pm

So now that my Super Bowl hopes are dashed because our star RB is an out of control, ignorant, zoo animal, my new goal in life is to consecutively drink one pint of each of the 12 beers on tap at my local dive. The bartender is psyched. Should happen within a week or two. Thank Christ there are no IPAs. We haven’t set a time limit…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Sounds like a worthwhile mission. There was a bar in Harvard Square long ago that had 69 different bottled beers, and if you drank all 69, of course you were enshrined in the immortal 69 Club. T-shirt included. I think I made it to around 50, damn.

• djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:07 pm

What was the time frame?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:09 pm

I don’t remember a time frame, I think the point was to accomplish the rarified task as quickly as possible. I “enlisted” over the course of a month, but then I tired of it….

• djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Well this is a 1.5 gallons – at least half of which I don’t like.
        What’s a reasonable time limit?

• alleykat69 said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Yeah would love to get my skink on with you Loo!
      Is it me are does TMZ always make the NFL have egg on their face?
      Ray Rice, Karem Hunt caught on video then the teams involved always play the” plausible deniability card” till their star player is busted then the orq finally has to step in out of embarrassement once the “Cover Up” broke as the Chiefs new back in February he was a abuser..

• djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:25 pm

AA would need an airfield to hold me…

21. djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:00 pm

Dyson’s a piece of shit, like the rest of the team…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:03 pm

Which is why I was surprised he’s making more than the (for now) everyday 2nd base guy…

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:16 pm

Zaidi sees something he likes in Dyson’s analytics. Can’t imagine what that is, though.

22. zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:21 pm

George H.W. Bush passed away.
    His version of the GOP doesn’t exist much anymore.

• djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:23 pm

Do we get a day off?

23. djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:22 pm

What about The Fresh Wince?

• Macdog said, on November 30, 2018 at 10:02 pm

From the Giants’ web site:

Left-hander Will Smith was tendered a contract and is thus considered signed for 2019

• djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 10:04 pm

Can always count on Mac the Fact…

24. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:23 pm

RIP

• djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:29 pm

Motherfucker was 94. Tell it to my stillborn cousin…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:33 pm

Sorry about your cousin, dj

• djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:39 pm

Thanks, Dirt. He still managed to achieve more than me…

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Great photo.

25. djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:35 pm

To me, Bush’s death is absolutely nothing compared to McCovey’s passing.
    Anyone who disagrees should quit posting here…

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:40 pm

Sounds like you’ve had a few already.

• djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:43 pm

Yet my grammar remains flawless…

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:47 pm

True.

26. zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:49 pm

I don’t care who wins, but the Denver/Portland match-up has been a great game.

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:50 pm

Both teams have giant talented Euro centers.

27. zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:54 pm

Was Strickland the dumbest SF Giant ever? He has to rank very high.

• djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 9:57 pm

Ruben Rivera?

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2018 at 10:15 pm

Unforgettable sequence of baserunning. Total catastrophe.

• djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 10:20 pm

He also stole Derek Jeter’s glove so he could sell it…

28. djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Twin used to get mad when anyone said Cain was dumb…

29. djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 10:12 pm

Is Le’Veon Bell available?

30. unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2018 at 10:20 pm

Hah! You are on fire, Loo. Hunt is the least important Chief, DJ. They’ll be fine. Although I have no idea who their backup RB is. If it was Tyreek Hill, they’d be in trouble.

Dumbest Giant? Roger Metzger.

Ooops.

• djloo27 said, on November 30, 2018 at 10:21 pm

It’s Spencer Ware.
      And who do I have to blow to get a POTD?

• unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2018 at 10:33 pm

Shit, you got a truckload full of them.

31. djloo27 said, on December 1, 2018 at 6:01 am

At the moment the Giants have 4 outfielders on the 40 man roster.
    Duggar – Slater – Mac – Shaw
    I think I’m done with sports…

32. […] “djloo27 said, on December 1, 2018 at 6:01 am (Edit) […]

33. mrsprtdude said, on December 1, 2018 at 7:15 am

GHW Bush. Yale. Baseball team captain. WW2 combat pilot. Shot down floating at sea came with in minutes of being captured by the Japaneze. Congressman. Ambassador to the UN. Director of the CIA. VP.
    President. Father of a president. Most people work their whole lives to ascend to ONE of those type positions…

The last president who cared more about country than politics?
    Imagine in today’s world. A Republican who vowed famously to never raise taxes. Then did it because he thought it was the right thing to do for the country. In fact I will add this to the list. A republican president who raised taxes…RIP GHW Bush

• zumiee said, on December 1, 2018 at 7:21 am

Well said.

34. willedav said, on December 1, 2018 at 7:20 am

Big Game over under is 46. I’d put it more like 40 for Cal who isn’t likely to score more than 24.

Not going into BH wars but…if rosters got expanded to say 27 and limit was put on how many pitchers a team could carry or be active in a game, the speed and D guys would have easier time holding down roster spot.

Given the size of bullpens/amount of relievers used in a game makes it really rough to justify position players that struggle to hit. Too bad, years ago I used to love guys like this.