The Weekend

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 15, 2018

So just wait till Boogie starts playing!! Lol, man, I don’t know what’s wrong with the Warriors. I think it’s reasonable to assume they just don’t care much about the regular season anymore but that’s a dangerous tact to take. This is not the same team of the last couple of years though, not even close….

Franny, who sucks, was trying to sell this take on KNBR last night: Because teams don’t let players practice as much in the off season as in the past, the Niners are JUST NOW coalescing as a team and that’s why they beat Denver (and he gave them a shot to beat Seattle). Uh Franny, wouldn’t that same amount of practice time apply to ALL the teams? Why were most other teams not a 2 win team going into Week 14? All the practice they’ve done this year just finally kicked in? It was the dumbest, simplest take I’ve heard from a KNBR host recently and that’s saying something with Radnich still employed there….

Zaidi is doing nothing. There aren’t even any good rumors to dig into….

1. willedav said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:26 am

Yeah great ballgame, first Q was fantastic. surprised Giles never got in. For 34 minutes Bogdanovich wasn’t very productive. Game of runs, Warriors got last one in. Kings shot selection at end left lot to be desired and they stood around and stopped moving.
    They need some new blood as Robt. Cray put it.
    Jones is hurt again, Bell is useless, McKinnie I like Cook pretty ordinary Jerebko liability on D Igs/Livingston almost done. Core 4 + Cousins fine, not much beyond that…how many stay open to ?.

Didn’t J Will play b-ball with Randy Moss at W Va?

Hank had same take as SanDog–Z not doing a deal just to do one. Wants to add 2 starting OFs back up C pen and rotation help. Expects young guys he picked up to challenge ST and be ready in Sac to fill in if necessary.

2. unca_chuck said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:33 am

From Flav’s Dub list yesterday, I’d have Thurmond and Attles on that list. They were insane defenders. And you gotta love player/coaches,

Barnett was harping on the fact that Fox was on fire, and other Kings were jacking up 3s. A very good point. Feed the hot guy. Something the Warriors understand. I don’t really know how Shumpert is working out for the Kings, but he looked like a non-entity last night.

3. djloo27 said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:54 am

• Flavor said, on December 15, 2018 at 9:19 am

hey, the 70s were a tough decade for everyone.

4. willedav said, on December 15, 2018 at 9:10 am

Thx Unc gotta run to work but that was pretty cool. Loo too that was pretty funny.

Yahoo has the vid with the moon stuff Kings put up during Warriors intros last night, pretty funny. I think even Steph was clapping and his buddies were yukking it up. Intro guys nowadays are awful yelling and screaming.

Would have loved to be PA guy, ala D Callaghan.
    “In his 8th year from the University of Iowa at 6-8 number 42 the Hawk Connie Hawkins.”
    Used to give number too after a hoop…”Double zero is Johnny Moore.”

5. sandog said, on December 15, 2018 at 9:55 am

Didn’t get to see Kings game. Or Chiefs game. Or anything today. Crazy busy with high school basketball, but my team is playing better and has a chance to take 3rd place in Day 3 of a tournament in Warner Springs today, so that is cool. Beautiful drive right over the top of the Laguna Mountains to get out to this tourney each day from my school in Pine Valley. Cool to see the reaction of my kids to some of the forrest areas and great views of the drop down to the Anza-Borrego Desert floor. They’ve been pretty good about enduring my tunes as well. Royal Blood went over well with a few of them.

Shumpert, surprisingly, has been damn good for the Kings. Playing well, and sounds like a great teammate.
    And I have no problem having MB3 earn his minutes. We don’t get to keep our draft pick after this year, so let’s try to win some games. Bjelica has for the most part, played great for SacTown.

• Flavor said, on December 15, 2018 at 11:14 am

is this the team of kids you like or the asshole group? lqtm

6. zumiee said, on December 15, 2018 at 3:24 pm

Something that was exposed again for the Kings last night is the lack of a decent back-up point-guard. When the coach’s options off the bench are Yogi Farrell and Frank Mason, those are grim options.

7. djloo27 said, on December 15, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Speaking of bench players named Mason, who remembers this guy who passed away without fanfare earlier this year?

• djloo27 said, on December 15, 2018 at 4:17 pm

As Zumiee would say he was a grim option.
      His middle name was “Stetson”…

• zumiee said, on December 15, 2018 at 4:22 pm

I don’t remember him. His cap seems too big.

8. zumiee said, on December 15, 2018 at 4:24 pm

Kruk and Kuip are appalled anytime they see a batter using a double-earflap batting helmet. They sometimes refer to the Great Gazoo.

• zumiee said, on December 15, 2018 at 4:26 pm

• djloo27 said, on December 15, 2018 at 4:30 pm

David Wright got the Great Gazoo mocking after the Cain beaning…

• unca_chuck said, on December 15, 2018 at 5:01 pm

Cuz there’s nothing funnier than a major brain injury.

9. unca_chuck said, on December 15, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Vaguely remember Mason. He must have played sometime around 1969-70 cuz that’s when I started following all the team not just the stars.

• djloo27 said, on December 15, 2018 at 5:03 pm

He actually played a lot in ’69…

• sandog said, on December 15, 2018 at 7:26 pm

.540 OPS in 1971, while coming in 3rd in the league in errors for second basemen!
        Not exactly Farhan’s kind of player.

(We lost by 3, for those who care) We did at least get up a pretty good look from 3 as time expired.

10. sandog said, on December 15, 2018 at 7:27 pm

Anybody feeling a young Don Criqui look alike with that Don Mason card?

• djloo27 said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:16 pm

You’re uncanny with this stuff!

11. zumiee said, on December 15, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Oklahoma has a player that looks like Larry Bird’s inbred son.

• zumiee said, on December 15, 2018 at 7:40 pm

• sandog said, on December 15, 2018 at 7:41 pm

I remember watching this guy last year. He can stroke it pretty well from outside.

• zumiee said, on December 15, 2018 at 7:49 pm

He’s grown his hair longer since that photo, and it’s a better look for him. Although he might get tired of hearing about Bird every time people meet him.

12. sandog said, on December 15, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Zum and others—where you at on Mad Men? I’m kind of hooked on the reruns after never watching it before. I don’t love it love it, but I think its pretty good and it is giving me another thing to talk about with my daughter—which is always a plus.

• zumiee said, on December 15, 2018 at 7:46 pm

I haven’t seen the show yet. I’ve heard good things from people, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 15, 2018 at 7:50 pm

I liked Mad Men (saw most of it during its primetime run), especially as I worked in the ad/PR business for years in the US, and also loved the cultural references of that time. Oddly enough, I do binge-watch reruns for some shows (Breaking Bad, Ozark, etc.) but that’s one I don’t think I’ll rewatch, but liked it first time through.

13. sandog said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:02 pm

We listened to “Don’t Say No” by Billy Squier in the van on the way home. Solid hard rock album IMO, though I never really cared much for “The Stroke,” which was the big hit on that record.
    I only had 2 players in the van with me. We stopped at a place called Dudley’s Bakery, which is a bit of an institution in the greater San Diego area—located out in the middle of nowhere . They make like 20 different kinds of bread. I told both players to pick out a loaf they thought their family would like and I’d buy it.
    One went for the Jalapeno Cheddar and the other for the Julian Apple Bread. I had to drag them in there, but once they saw all the choices on the shelves, they got really into making their selection.
    I went for their Hawaiian Sweet Bread, which I have earmarked for some French Toast in the morning.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:06 pm

I was wondering if you had driven the whole team in Harvey…..

• sandog said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:15 pm

HA! Harvey has his winter coat on these days.

14. Flavor said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:17 pm

So what’s the end game here for Pence? Is this literally just a love of the game move by him? Why is he doing this?

• sandog said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:24 pm

It totally has to be a love the game deal. I wish him the absolute best and am curious to see if he changes his swing and can hang on. I think it is a real longshot.
      Over/under on MLB at-bats for Pence next year?
      I will go with 37—and that is probably 37 too high.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:24 pm

What team is that? Some of those guys look familiar, but I don’t know what Pence is up to here…

• sandog said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:27 pm

Winter Ball–Puerto Rico maybe?

• djloo27 said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:30 pm

Q. Why would anyone do it?
      A. To get away from their wife.

• sandog said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:37 pm

“We’re gonna come around at 12 with some Puerto Rican girls that’s just DY-IN’ to meet you!”

• Flavor said, on December 16, 2018 at 7:53 am

I’d bet anything she’s down there with him. She is ALWAYS there.

15. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:38 pm

Dawg, if you and any other Flappers have a handful of days this summer (I’ll be back in the US for a bunch of it this year), we should do a Harvey/Flap road trip mini-palooza. Late June Giants play in LA then go to AZ then back home and then back down to SD. Unfortunately, as fun as that might be, you’d need a couple of weeks off…

• sandog said, on December 15, 2018 at 8:42 pm

Would be awesome! Harvey doesn’t stray too far from home, but an SD Flapalooza featuring Harvey would be outstanding.

16. zumiee said, on December 15, 2018 at 9:25 pm

Billy Squire had his time in the sun. He hit it big about the same time Foghat did, but I liked Foghat more for some reason.

17. djloo27 said, on December 15, 2018 at 9:40 pm

How come no one ever mentions Boston? (The band)

18. unca_chuck said, on December 15, 2018 at 10:24 pm

Cuz they are overrated.

19. unca_chuck said, on December 15, 2018 at 10:29 pm

I don’t know. Boston, Foghat, Kansas, Journey after steve Perry were all hard rock lite. Or maybe it was just cuz I got over those bands in like 8th grade, and moved on to Blue oyster Cult, Ozzie, talking Heads and Iron Maiden. Billy Squier had cred. Until this. This video literally killed his career.

I don’t know if this was some kind of misguided flashdance joke , but this killed him. Kind of a shame.

• sandog said, on December 16, 2018 at 10:23 am

I remember this controversy. Heard an interview once where he tried to explain what he was thinking at the time. It wasn’t super convincing.

20. willedav said, on December 16, 2018 at 9:38 am

Hey Kings fans—is Bagley OK? he only played about 5 minutes vs. GS. He went up for rebound and landed awkwardly in 2nd Q and never returned. Warriors announcers (who were very high on Kings btw) said knee sprain.

• sandog said, on December 16, 2018 at 10:24 am

I’m hearing bone bruise and to be re-evaluated in 10-14 days.

• willedav said, on December 16, 2018 at 11:16 am

Oh that sucks. Hella coaching job my man with 5 only kids who had played multiple games last couple days going against full squad.

21. willedav said, on December 16, 2018 at 9:45 am

Pence probably winds up in Independent league somewhere. Feels he can rebuild his swing doesn’t want to go out like he did and still has something to offer at ML level.
    Maybe whomever signs Machado attaches the Rev to him and he learns to run out dribblers.

22. mrsprtdude said, on December 16, 2018 at 11:37 am

Never seen this video before. Literally laughing. I liked this song and seeing this may have ruined it for me:)
    SD Flappaloza sounds good.
    @ SanDog..My wife was crazy about Mad Men. Always trying ti get me to watch. I guess i never got it. Watched 3-4 times. Didn’t grab me…

• unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2018 at 1:26 pm

Yeah, unreal to even consider what was going through everyone’s heads on this,

23. willedav said, on December 16, 2018 at 1:09 pm

Joe Mixon out of Freedom HS in Oakley with second TD of game and 117 yds rushing that should doom the Raiders to lose to Bengals who had lost 5 in a row coming in. Raiders hit FG to cut lead to 23-16 with 5 minutes left then give up 77 yd KO return and TD two plays later.
    Gad both locals are bad.

24. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2018 at 2:16 pm

Haven’;t seen Mad Men or Orange is the New Black. Watching Poldark. 18th century English deal. Semi interesting.

25. zumiee said, on December 16, 2018 at 3:25 pm

I’ve been watching DVRed episodes of the latest season of Better Call Saul. This season kind of lost me, but I’ll keep watching. Pre-quels are always a dicey proposition.

26. zumiee said, on December 16, 2018 at 3:31 pm

I kind of drifted away from dramas for a while. There are lots of comedies I watch.
    Loudermilk
    Mom
    Modern Family
    Big Bang Theory
    Brockmire

• djloo27 said, on December 16, 2018 at 5:37 pm

I was a big MF fan, but it’s been dreadful for at least 2 years now.
      Sooner or later they all “jump the shark”…

27. willedav said, on December 16, 2018 at 4:24 pm

YAH! F the MFing Seachickens!

• unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Good to see our 3rd string QB beat the fucking Hawks. Yeah, baby!

28. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Niners win! Horrible reffing all around that game. The one thing you have to say is the team hasn’t given up or tanked it.

• willedav said, on December 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Shanahan didn’t exactly stick up for Wilson but that was big time run to set up FG and a defender did try and swat ball out of his arm too. Great W for Saleh and his D too to shut down Wilson last 3 times he had ball.

29. zumiee said, on December 16, 2018 at 5:16 pm

Lakers got scalded by the Wizards. It’s a beautiful thing.

30. zumiee said, on December 16, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Kings defeat the Mavs.
    Fox, 28 points.

31. zumiee said, on December 16, 2018 at 7:05 pm

First win over the Seahawks since 2013.

32. zumiee said, on December 16, 2018 at 7:52 pm

The one and only Bill Walton….in one half-court possession he managed to reference Bruce Springsteen and the Bill of Rights.

33. djloo27 said, on December 16, 2018 at 9:31 pm

I can’t stop watching this.
    I watched it live.

• zumiee said, on December 16, 2018 at 9:43 pm

The real beginning of the decade of the ’60s.

• djloo27 said, on December 17, 2018 at 4:53 am

I wonder how many people made themselves a cup of Nescafe after Cronkite’s first bulletin…

34. zumiee said, on December 16, 2018 at 9:33 pm

“The Oakland Raiders don’t currently have a home for next season, but may end up playing across the Bay at AT&T Park, according to a report by Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports.

Following last week’s lawsuit by the city of Oakland accusing the Raiders and the NFL of an illegal move to Las Vegas, the team is no longer certain to play their games at the Oakland Coliseum next year, especially considering their lease with the stadium authority runs out at the conclusion of the 2018 season. The Raiders’ new home in Vegas won’t be completed until 2020, leaving where the team plays next season up in the air.

Though the Raiders could still work out a deal with the Coliseum for a new one-year lease, it’s very possible they will end up playing elsewhere in the Bay area, in Southern California, or even out of state. According to LaCanfora, one of the potential venues is the San Francisco Giants’ current home, which has never before hosted an NFL game.”

35. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 16, 2018 at 9:40 pm

Walter Cronkite, considered the most trusted man in America at that time. A member of now fake media. Amazing how things change. Who would be the most trusted person in the US at this point? Endless choices for least trusted….

• zumiee said, on December 16, 2018 at 9:48 pm

Douglas Brinkley wrote a good biography of Cronkite. I thought it would be a big seller, but it wasn’t. He’s pretty forgotten these days.

36. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 16, 2018 at 10:07 pm

I still sometimes “sign off” my classes with “And that’s the way it was, …..” …. My parents always watched Huntley/Brinkley but I was completely a Cronkite guy growing up…

37. djloo27 said, on December 17, 2018 at 4:49 am

Assuming he acted alone, I think the argument can be made that Lee Harvey Oswald had the greatest impact on US history from 11/22/63 until 9/11/01…

• djloo27 said, on December 17, 2018 at 5:00 am

Then again to paraphrase Twin, you can make any fuckin’ argument you want…