Dwindling Options

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 19, 2018

With Billy Ham and now Matt Harvey off the board, the Giants are running out of Flap-favorites to sign. This Tulo thing, man, everyone keeps saying “hey it’s no risk since we only pay him the minimum” but if he produces like a *minimum* player what is the point? I guess I’d rather see him out there over Panik although Panik would be better defensively.

Tulo has hated the Giants since he was a kid, I can’t imagine he’d sign with us unless there were literally zero other suitors…..

1. Bozo said, on December 19, 2018 at 7:30 am

With the Rule 5 kids, the Giants still have 3 spots on their 40 man roster. We need another OFer, I like Marwin Gonzalez because he’s solid and can play anywhere. We should pick up another Starter, if they want a lefty, just get Holland again. If they want a RHer, I say take a chance on Jeremy Hellickson. The final slot has to be a catcher, fuck it, just get Hundley again, he knows the staff and can hold the slot until Garcia is ready. Plus with Pablo, we do have a third catcher on board.

No Harpers, no Machados, no Grandals, no Tulowitzkis and no Keuchels.

• sfsarge said, on December 19, 2018 at 9:52 am

I agree with this 100%.

• gianthead said, on December 19, 2018 at 1:33 pm

Isn’t Kikuchi a better option for 5th starter…more upside

2. mrsprtdude said, on December 19, 2018 at 9:52 am

@Paul… San Dog is correct I live in So Cal! Moved from the bay area ( walnut creek) in 1985 to go to Long Beach State, and never moved back up north.

I post at night because that’s when i hit the computer:) I’m an owner operator/ of a physical therapy clinic so i don’t get home till 7:00pm I also run a personal finance business. I get on my computer around 11 or so..Catch up on email and then check out the Flap! an almost nightly occurrence (during the season for sure) since 2010.

• djloo27 said, on December 19, 2018 at 3:26 pm

When do you find time to stare into space or just sulk around?

3. gianthead said, on December 19, 2018 at 1:32 pm

I thought Tulo grew up a Giants fan???

4. unca_chuck said, on December 19, 2018 at 1:33 pm

He’s from Cupertino right?

• gianthead said, on December 19, 2018 at 1:34 pm

That was my memory…how could he hate the Giants??? If he grew up a Fodger fan than F HIM!!!

5. gianthead said, on December 19, 2018 at 1:47 pm

If he grew up an A’s fan while he was born in 1984, so he would have been an A’s fan during the 90s during the Bonds/Kent years and when the Giants began their Bay Area domination and then he intentionally became an A’s fan, them he is an idiot!!!!

Isn’t Longoria maybe a better right-handed hitting fit for 2b than Longoria??? Panik/Hanson against righties and Panda at 3rd against some righties…

• gianthead said, on December 19, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Sorry wouldn’t Longoria at 2b be better option than Tulo??? Longoria seems more athletic than an heel injury-recovering Tulo??? I would not experiment with Tulo in left. 1b also makes sense against some lefties and when Posey is not playing…

• djloo27 said, on December 19, 2018 at 3:10 pm

If Belt could be traded, I like the idea of turning Longoria into a 1B.
        Yanks seem determined to trade 3B Andujar – especially if they sign Machado.
        It would also free up 3B for a run at Arenado next year…

• djloo27 said, on December 19, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Aside from one game at SS as a rookie, fuckin’ Longoria’s never played anywhere but 3B.
        He’s listed at only 6’1′ – I thought he was at least 6’3″.
        Worst contract in SF history at the moment…

• gianthead said, on December 19, 2018 at 7:24 pm

Completely agree…all in on Arenado!!!

6. unca_chuck said, on December 19, 2018 at 4:42 pm

The rumor mill has us jizzing all over Tulo and his workout, FWIW. Look up Tulo giants and you get:

“most interested”
    “impressive presence”
    “most impressive presence”
    “significant interest”
    “Surging tumescence”
    “Giant hard-on”

Ok, I made up two of those . . .

7. snarkk said, on December 19, 2018 at 4:48 pm

No Tulo. No, Nein, Nyet.
    The guy hates the Giants.
    More to the point, I thought with ZMan at the helm, the Giants would STOP signing old, injury prone dudes who are cheap, and produce commensurate to their price…

8. Flavor said, on December 19, 2018 at 4:51 pm

Tulo grew up in the south bay but he’s on record as always hating the Giants. I don’t know who he liked as a kid.

9. Flavor said, on December 19, 2018 at 5:49 pm

loved Chris Farley so much. I wasn’t a big Sandler guy but this is a great tribute song

10. willedav said, on December 19, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Tulo is from Sunnyvale/ Fremont HS. Pretty sure Blade and family know him and iirc he is one here who provided the he hates the Giants always has info.
    I coached the oldest son of guy who used to be Varsity b-ball coach at Fremont and the kid used to wear Tulo #2 Rox jersey to practice. Tulo did play b-ball there too.

• Flavor said, on December 20, 2018 at 5:56 am

Actually Tolbert said it most recently on KNBR—said not only did Tulo hate the Giants when he played for Colorado but he hated them as a kid, too.

11. xoot said, on December 19, 2018 at 8:43 pm

Whoa! Zaidi’s dealing now.

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2018 at 6:28 am

He’ll be 34 in June, but I guess that makes each arm only 17…

12. willedav said, on December 19, 2018 at 8:54 pm

East Coast fans familiar with Shake Shack? They just opened one at Stanford shopping ctr on El Camino…any locals been there? Hours long lines first day. Reports I read in Chron very positive., on bun burger and fries.

• Flavor said, on December 20, 2018 at 5:56 am

I work near there, maybe I’ll go stand in line for an hour nevermind people would die better off not going…..

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2018 at 6:26 am

Shake Shack is a pretty big deal here for a lot of people. There’s one at Citifield and on busy nights I’ve heard you can wait on line for 3 innings . I ate at the one by Barclay’s Center last year. Thought the burger was real good, but the fries were nothing special…

• sandog said, on December 20, 2018 at 7:17 am

Agree. Fries are like the ones you buy at the grocery store and heat up yourself. Crinkle-cut style. Don’t taste any better than the store ones either.
        Also agree burger is good and the bun is real good too. I think we have 2 of them in SD. I’ve only gone once. Need to get back there. I also had a shake that I thought was solid, but not spectacular.

13. sandog said, on December 20, 2018 at 7:22 am

FYI, I like the idea of bringing in Tulo and seeing what he can do. We need RH power big time. Why not see what he has left? The anti-Giants thing has always bugged me a bit too, but I give him credit for taking a side and being an A’s fan. That lines up better with my sensibilities anyway. I can’t stand the A’s or the Warriors.

• gianthead said, on December 20, 2018 at 1:33 pm

Sacrilege on our Dubs Dawg!!!

14. willedav said, on December 20, 2018 at 7:58 am

re: the Venditte guy. Isn’t there a rule he can only pitch from one side to a hitter? Doesn’t he have to signify what arm he is going to use per AB? Do splits show a dominant side? So in other words if he shows he is going to pitch LH couldn’t mgr send up RH PH to counter that?

• alleykat69 said, on December 20, 2018 at 10:32 am

Yes he has to declare ahead of time now.Tolbert brought up a story when he was in the minors and he was facing a switch hitter and the hitter was switching back and forth and so was the pitcher, and the ump got pissed off and told the pitcher your pitching only one side!! Not sure if the batter had too..

15. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2018 at 10:15 am

The only home run hitters, or reasonable facsimiles, are guys like Tulo. If you want the Giants to get some power, you need to make deals like this. Low risk, high reward.

Shit, Pablo worked out on a deal just like this. Why not? Cheap and easy. If it doesn’t work out, he’s an easy cut.

• sandog said, on December 20, 2018 at 10:39 am

Tots agree. We need some RH bats and the pickings are slim. I’m not sure if I even want Pollock.
      Steve Sax grew up in my area a diehard Giants fan. He got over it when the Dodgers started paying him.

16. Bozo said, on December 20, 2018 at 11:49 am

If Tulowitzki,would except a non-roster ST invite, by all means bring him in. Otherwise, I’d spend more energy and the last 3 roster spots on signing an OFer, Catcher and Starter.

17. alleykat69 said, on December 20, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Tulo is a better fit for Padres imo

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2018 at 1:16 pm

He and Matt Latos can write “I hate the Giants” on their balls.

18. gianthead said, on December 20, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Best thing at Shake Shack are the shakes…burgers ehhh…5 Guys for me any day.. .

• gianthead said, on December 20, 2018 at 1:31 pm

5 Guys fries also hands down way better than shake shack but not the shakes…

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2018 at 2:01 pm

The fries are good a 5 Guys, but holy shit, when my son worked there he’s give me a lunch bag full of them when I got an order. thought it was just me, but it wasn’t fries for days.

Love their burgers. The bacon cheeseburger is excellent.

19. bryceharpershair2097 said, on December 20, 2018 at 1:52 pm

We need to sign Puig and Bryce Harper and mortgage our future for them. Puig has a great smile and Harper has beautiful hair so we’ll get the ladies and the casual fans filling up the ballpark with this bullshit. You know you’d die to have Bryce and his sexy man hairdo on the Giants for millions of dollars. Sign him up!

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2018 at 2:00 pm

Wow. Get a life, skippy.

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2018 at 3:41 pm

He may be on to something, Chuck…

20. djloo27 said, on December 20, 2018 at 3:50 pm

Daniel Murphy to the Rox. Woulda bet anything he was going to Yanks…

21. djloo27 said, on December 20, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Wonder what kinda deal Lemaiheu’s lookin’ for…

• Flavor said, on December 20, 2018 at 4:17 pm

I’m not super interested in any hitter from Colorado. Ellis Burks worked out. Now you gotta pay these motherfuckers too much coin to find out if they can do it away from Coors….

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm

I don’t want him either, but Arenado’s another story. That’s why Longoria’s deal is worse beyond the money. He blocks that position for guys that will be, or already are available…

22. djloo27 said, on December 20, 2018 at 4:31 pm

I completely forgot that the Rox finished only one game back last season.
    I pretty much forgot the whole season, period…

23. djloo27 said, on December 20, 2018 at 4:32 pm

Seems like Blade’s been missing lately.
    Hope he’s worked out that situation…

24. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 20, 2018 at 5:42 pm

Yeah, gotta be careful about accurately assessing some Rox hitters. Burks was different, he already had a good handful of successful years before heading to Denver, these others, not so sure. And completely agree with Loo about Wrongo. If the Mighty Z does little else other than get rid of that contract as painlessly as possible, he’d already be worth his hiring.

25. Bozo said, on December 20, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Looks like, Hector “The Concussed One” Sanchez, is ready to rock and roll.

26. Flavor said, on December 20, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Bring me this man, he could literally save my interest in the 2019 season….

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 20, 2018 at 8:43 pm

Damn, that’s sweet. Played a lot of sandlot and driveway whiffle ball as a youngster and had one nasty pitch that *looked* like that, but with a hardball? Sweet.

• willedav said, on December 20, 2018 at 8:58 pm

um tough to hit sure but how does a “curveball” wind up shoulder high?

• unca_chuck said, on December 21, 2018 at 8:41 am

Like to know the speed of that pitch.

27. alleykat69 said, on December 20, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Cause it ain’t a curve ball, it’s a submarine riser!