Cardinal

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 31, 2018

Yesterday was a good day, I pushed the Tampa Bay game and won the other 3 in dominant blowouts. A last second field goal in Florida prevented a day of perfection. With Zaidi committed to doing nothing this off season let’s keep the gambling train rolling down the tracks with….what’s this? The Cardinal? Oh my.

I don’t know a single thing about Pittsburgh except what I’ve read about them which isn’t a lot. They have a couple of bruiser running backs. Stanford will be without Bryce Love although it has felt like they’ve been without him all year.

I’m intrigued by this match up. David Shaw, who sucks, is ok at game prepping if you give him this much time. His bowl record of 4-3 should be better but he has a couple of Rose Bowl wins sprinkled in there and that’s probably what keeps the alumni from shit canning him.

Shaw would rather blow another man’s load in his own face than blow out an opponent. Stanford giving 4 points just screams to take Pittsburgh. If I were betting, which I’m not, that’s the route I’d go.

______________________________

I’ve been trying to figure this ad from the 70’s out for the last hour. What are they selling here? And did Namath slather this stuff on to woo the ladies or was he saying he doesn’t but you should? I don’t get it.

Screenshot 2018-12-31 at 7.50.11 AM

1. willedav said, on December 31, 2018 at 7:26 am

Shaw has his own style of play calling (which I’m not defending) and he certainly adjusted this year as his running game wasn’t up to par with passing attack. But man does he recruit major talent–he got Bryce Love to come all the way out West from the Carolinas and bypass SEC, he has NFL level Arciga Whiteside tight ends linemen and of course one of premier QBs in Pac12, who is only a redshirt soph iirc.

Any coach can only do so much with what they have, as witness skill players at Cal. Shaw also has one of top running backs in NorCal coming in, Austin Jones out of Section champ Bishop O’Dowd. It’s half the battle to bring in more talent than competition and they are top 20 in nation. amazing given academic standards there.

• Flavor said, on December 31, 2018 at 7:35 am

he’s very good at recruiting, no arguments with him there. Stanford just won, I think, there 26th straight Director’s Cup. That’s an incredible record that will never be broken. And, as you alluded to, unreal that they can do it with those academic standards (although admittedly it’s easier to recruit the smart swimmers and tennis players than it is bball, football, etc…..

2. willedav said, on December 31, 2018 at 7:39 am

Other thing Shaw has going for him is the ability to beat the hated intra state rival, one of the single most important things to all alums. He has owned Cal, winning last 7 or 8 in a row. Covers up lot of sins.
    San Jose St has been so bad for so long I don’t pay much attention; they won 1 game all freaking year. Wouldn’t matter though if they could knock off %!*% flipping Fresno, which instead embarrassed Pac 12 in bowl game.

• Macdog said, on December 31, 2018 at 8:26 am

Hey Wille, check this out. Game-winner in final of local hoops (NJ) holiday tourney, tie game with 1.1 left.

• zumiee said, on December 31, 2018 at 8:44 am

Go Fresno St.! 🙂

3. alleykat69 said, on December 31, 2018 at 8:13 am

I don’t think Namath predicted a winner with this Pub Cologne nor used it..

4. Bozo said, on December 31, 2018 at 9:15 am

Well shit, all these years I’ve been putting a dab of whiskey behind my ears thinking it was pub cologne.

5. unca_chuck said, on December 31, 2018 at 9:22 am

Pub cologne. Smells like stale beer and peanut shells.

• snarkk said, on December 31, 2018 at 10:13 am

Pub Cologne — stink like crap without the effort…

6. djloo27 said, on December 31, 2018 at 1:19 pm

Always thought Namath was a big Brut guy…

7. zumiee said, on December 31, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Insult to injury, Harbaugh lost his bowl game.

8. Flavor said, on December 31, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Cardinal. Shocker, they didn’t cover.

• zumiee said, on December 31, 2018 at 5:11 pm

Pretty crazy play at the goal-line.

9. snarkk said, on December 31, 2018 at 5:45 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Flappers !!!!!! …

• Flavor said, on December 31, 2018 at 5:57 pm

where you at my man?

10. Flavor said, on December 31, 2018 at 6:02 pm

I was in The City today taking my daughter and her boyfriend to the Academy of Sciences. I was actually thinking how awesome it is that I don’t have to gear up to go out tonight. Anyway, now at home, bbqing some steaks later, I told Katie she could have some champagne and she’s all excited. The years are just clicking and slipping away, aren’t they?
    Serious question: How long do you guys want me to keep the blog going? LOL, I mean, the rest of our lives? It seems to be hitting a wall. Or maybe it’s a fence, I don’t know what to call that thing anymore. I’m not suggesting I pull the plug on the Flap tonight or anything but really, how many years we gonna do this? At some point we gotta shut ‘er down…..

• zumiee said, on December 31, 2018 at 6:07 pm

11. willedav said, on December 31, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Oh man thx Mac. Deflection off the inbounds and a score.
    The Olympic champ beach v-ball gal from Stanford (whose name escapes me) used to play HS b-ball locally for top program and was on ball as part of their full court press.
    I saw her deflect an inbound pass up in the air to herself and then lay it in without a dribble. Totally depressing to opponents.

• willedav said, on December 31, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Kerri Walsh.

• Macdog said, on December 31, 2018 at 7:24 pm

The player who deflected the inbounds pass is a Notre Dame commit for football.

12. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 31, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Happy new year, Flappers everywhere in FlapU. Over here it’s 2019, drinking my first cup of morning coffee in the new year, all seems well. Craig, I and I’m sure everyone would understand if you want to stop Flappin’ at some point, it’s a lot of work for you over a lot of years now.

This is more than just a blog, it’s a global community that has fostered friendships based on baseball. A higher calling is difficult to find. The Flap is my morning newspaper, has been for years. Maybe you need a successor. Start grooming someone to pass the torch. Or maybe a return of the Unstable Boys. Here’s hoping for a lot more good Flappin’ in the new year for everyone…

13. djloo27 said, on December 31, 2018 at 7:31 pm

I couldn’t say it any better than Paul. The regulars would really miss it and could try to keep it going.
    You’ve done a lot for us and it’s not your responsibility for life…

• djloo27 said, on December 31, 2018 at 7:49 pm

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 31, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Good one.

14. Flavor said, on December 31, 2018 at 9:16 pm

“it’s not your responsibility for life”. That’s an interesting take. When I started the blog I did it as a joke because of something that happened at The Splash, I can’t remember what it was. I moved it over to wordpress after that because it made it much easier to send trolls and all their bullshit flittering off into my spam folder. I still love reading all their bullshit they take so much time to write…lol.Chuck, why don’t you send that idiot at your blog into neverneverland? He posts too much.
    Anyway, this place has always been important to me. It constructed and honed my attention to something positive and necessary back when my life was in a fair amount of crazy disarray. It’s funny, we started winning world series trophies when I had a lot of shit going on personally…..I never really stopped to think about that until right this minute…….
    Moving forward……Twin stopped posting here regularly in 2014 or so and then he died a year ago yesterday. A huge part of this place went with him. Just as I type that I know he’s rattling around somewhere in the afterlife pissed off that I’m even bringing up the idea of ending The Flap. I love that, lqtm.
    Of course, I’m not ending it. There are some fantastic threads back in the day of me threatening to end it and it was 100% caused by my frustration with Twin. Now? I just need more from the team. It’s just been such a long dumb lame slide, and to be honest my interest in the sport is marginal right now, at best. The game has just changed a lot.
    I don’t know what I’d do with my mornings before work if I didn’t have my coffee and The Flap to craft in the dark at 5am, finding new ways to chatter up the dudes from the night before adding to the back of their baseball cards……
    It’s the last day of another year I’m trippin’ on this, it’s stupid. But it’s a fair question, how long does this go on? How long do we all go on? At some point it all ends. Everything fucking ends. Happy New Year.

• djloo27 said, on December 31, 2018 at 9:44 pm

Twin thrived on battling with people here. I think it became too civilized to keep him interested.
      He sure was one of a kind. Although he (and poor Stix) are greatly missed the place has rolled on.
      I’m sure that 10+ years, the joy of 3 titles, and the dim long-term prospects of our team have taken a toll.
      Anyway, I just hope you do what’s best for yourself.
      You don’t owe us. We owe you – big time.
      Happy New Year, friend…

• Flavor said, on December 31, 2018 at 9:48 pm

thanks Loo. I’m not a big “I love you man” guy but I fucking love you man, happy new year.

15. Bozo said, on December 31, 2018 at 9:51 pm

Twenty nine minutes (and counting) after midnight here and I find myself wanting to yell at an umpire. “Hey Blue, if you had one more eye, just one more eye…you’d be a cyclops”.

The other day i ended up in the WordPress world of weirdness. I saw that the flap that day had folks not only from the USA, but Vietnam (Paul?) and Germany (?). For what ever reason I started looking at old threads,back when the Flap first went all WordPress, do you know what I found? It appears the Giants couldn’t hit shit, Ownership sucked, Management sucked, Bochy was a blockhead, and without a doubt, Sabean sucked and the Flap chugged through all that. We also celebrated 3 World Championships, youngsters becoming All Stars, and within the community, there were births, marriages, graduations and other personal wins. The Flap also withstood Giants losses, deaths, fires, hurricanes and lost bets. Still each day there was a place to cheer, cry, stand on a soap box or just tell mostly true stories. For that, all of that, I send a huge thank you to you, Craig.

Sadly, that took me over twenty minutes to write. Happy New Year, Big Flavor and to the rest of the Flappers out there.

• Flavor said, on December 31, 2018 at 10:05 pm

oh man, you guys are killing me. I wasn’t fishing for anything, just asking a general question about when this all should naturally end. But I love hearing stuff like this, it makes the entire shitty year here at the Flap worth it.

16. zumiee said, on December 31, 2018 at 10:24 pm

I can’t blame CNN for firing Kathy Griffin from doing their New Year’s Eve show, but, man, she was missed on that show tonight. It was awful without her. All the New Year’s TV specials are awful. She was the only one that was ever funny on any of those shows.

17. zumiee said, on December 31, 2018 at 10:28 pm

Happy New Year, Flappers!

• zumiee said, on December 31, 2018 at 10:29 pm

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 31, 2018 at 10:54 pm

Just let it ride big man-stay on the wave until it crashes and whatnot. Wishing you all a happy healthy and prosperous new year.

19. stanfurdfootball said, on January 1, 2019 at 12:54 am

I went to Stanford……football games! Boom!

20. Flavor said, on January 1, 2019 at 8:33 am

Happy New Year, Flaps. My morning started off with a plunger to free up a choked up toilet. Touch and go there for a bit. But I got ‘er done. Now, bowl game mania!!!!!!

21. Flavor said, on January 1, 2019 at 9:08 am

I mean, come on, a working sewer system is literally the only thing separating us from the wildebeasts who roam the earth…..

• zumiee said, on January 1, 2019 at 9:29 am

• djloo27 said, on January 1, 2019 at 9:45 am

At this point of my life, clogging the bowl gives me mixed feelings…

• Macdog said, on January 1, 2019 at 10:05 am

Sounds like you got an early jump on New Year’s bowl day.

• djloo27 said, on January 1, 2019 at 10:07 am

Excellent!

• willedav said, on January 1, 2019 at 11:36 am

2 ply tp one of the great inventions of mankind.

22. blade3colorado said, on January 1, 2019 at 9:53 am

Happy New Year everyone . . . I related to what Craig said about the Flap – “. . . this place has always been important to me. It constructed and honed my attention to something positive and necessary back when my life was in a fair amount of crazy disarray.” This past year hasn’t been much fun, but I remember (and remind myself sometimes every day of) this quote:

“Every one of us is losing something precious to us. Lost opportunities, lost possibilities, feelings we can never get back again. That’s part of what it means to be alive.”

I hope you keep the blog going Craig.

• djloo27 said, on January 1, 2019 at 10:29 am

Happy New Year, Blade.
      Hope things are working out for you and the family…

• blade3colorado said, on January 1, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Happy New Year Loo. Thank you . . . I posted something on Facebook which captures my 2018 and hopes for 2019:

“My New Year’s resolution is to make better bad decisions.” 🙂

• Flavor said, on January 1, 2019 at 10:43 am

wise words, Blade. Any update on your daughter?

• blade3colorado said, on January 1, 2019 at 12:23 pm

It’s complex Flav. I think I indicated that my mom and I were going to bring Michele back to the bay area so she could see her USA relatives during our family Christmas get-together, but it fell through due to unreasonable demands from my wife. I ended up eating thousands of dollars in airfare and hotel accommodations. The money didn’t matter, but not having Michele here hurt tremendously. Consequently, Christmas was bittersweet when I visited the bay area. Everyone was disappointed that my daughter was not here. This was made much worse due to a favorite aunt (my godmother) I was very close to passing away on the day I drove back to Colorado. Tomorrow I fly back for her funeral and memorial on Thursday.

• Flavor said, on January 1, 2019 at 1:19 pm

tough couple of months for you, hang in there.

23. zumiee said, on January 1, 2019 at 10:08 am

High profile gig for Dave Flemming, doing the Citrus Bowl on ABC today.

24. zumiee said, on January 1, 2019 at 10:39 am

I thought it would take longer for Penn St. to rebuild their football program after all the horrible crimes, but they did it somehow.

25. willedav said, on January 1, 2019 at 11:39 am

Central Fla having tough time so far backing up #1 claim, lol. LSU played Bama and couldn’t score 1 point whole game; their D was tough but O got nothing going at all. So far 24 in first half and 3 passing TDs from the QB.

• willedav said, on January 1, 2019 at 11:49 am

just scored with 4 seconds left in first half, nice drive cut lead to 24-21. Fun ballgame. LSU coach cracks me up.

• Flavor said, on January 1, 2019 at 11:53 am

I know. He’s stomping around, they have literally no more cornerbacks left to even put on the field. Man, if Central Florida can give Mack even a little bit of protection they should roll easy in the second half.

• Bozo said, on January 1, 2019 at 12:10 pm

LSU’s coach scared me during his interview and that was when he was being nice. I can’t imagine what that guy is like when he goes off. I’m rooting for LSU but it looks like the second half is going to be a shootout.

26. zumiee said, on January 1, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Snell, Jr. is an exciting running back for Kentucky. Looks like an NFL talent.

27. mrsprtdude said, on January 1, 2019 at 2:12 pm

Happy New Year Flappers…

To paraphrase the others Craig you have given more than I or we could ever give back.

It’s hard for me to imagine but I can barely remember a time where I had no one to share Giant thoughts with. A place to share in excitement, sorrow, and the fun of the games. No this isn’t life or death, but in a way it is intertwined with the emotions we get watching our team. The Flap IS my Giant family.

We were all in bonus time from the moment you posted your video after 2010. “Did this just happen?”, and after we repeated and had “the knowing head nod”

All I would ask is when it does come to an end that you announce it a few days or weeks in advance, so we all get some time to reminisce and appreciate a little longer.

Cheers to Craig, and all you Flappers for a healthy happy prosperous 2019

All the best, Mike

• Flavor said, on January 1, 2019 at 2:50 pm

great post, and thanks. When I shut her down I’ll definitely give everyone a heads up

28. willedav said, on January 1, 2019 at 4:07 pm

it doesn’t seem to matter how many teams you could have put into college playoffs—Bama and Climzun would have thrashed them all.

29. mrsprtdude said, on January 1, 2019 at 5:13 pm

For sure. Washington is average at best. Alabama would be crushing OSU right now…

30. zumiee said, on January 1, 2019 at 8:25 pm

Willie Cauley-Soft is in the process of blowing another game for the Kings.

• zumiee said, on January 1, 2019 at 8:28 pm

He can’t rebound, he can’t shoot, he turns the ball over, he’s terrible on defense, and he’s terrible at free throws. Other than that, he’s OK.

• djloo27 said, on January 1, 2019 at 9:17 pm

Welcome to the Soft Parade…

31. zumiee said, on January 1, 2019 at 8:41 pm

The Kings have a lot of young guys that still have a lot to learn. Portland just had more veteran basketball IQ at the end.

32. Macdog said, on January 1, 2019 at 9:25 pm

So much for Tulo . . .

• alleykat69 said, on January 1, 2019 at 9:49 pm

Rather of had that Japanese pitcher Kuculli(sp for sure?) who signed with the Mariners.
      Guess are Japan Town/Chinatown combo isn’t enough to lure him here. Money talks and he got the best deal, so Farhan continues his dumpster diving and a boring winter continues..