Landing The Big Fish

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 14, 2019

Hey, whattya know, there are *mystery teams* in on Machado and Harper.

Lol. I remember the days when the hot stove season had some interesting shit cooking up on it. Those days are long gone as *insiders* try to trick you into clicking on their bullshit with rumors about *mystery teams*.

Anyway, I don’t believe we are in on either of these guys. Nor should we be.

1. sandog said, on January 14, 2019 at 8:05 am

I’m holding out hope that we ARE a mystery team on Harper–and I have been wondering/hoping that is the case for a while. Bring in Harper and then let Z-Man do his platooning and dumpster diving in center field and left.
    10 years 300 mil? Fine. 2 years 80 mil? Also fine
    As you may recall, we were also a mystery team who swooped in at the last minute when we signed Bonds.
    Maybe the reason Dr. Z has done nothing is that he wants to see if we can get Harper in here.
    He was part of the Dodger brass that signed Kershaw to that huge deal—right?

• Flavor said, on January 14, 2019 at 8:11 am

I think he’s just assembling his staff, I highly doubt Z is doing anything. But we’ll see. sD sorry we couldn’t connect this weekend. 4pm?

• sandog said, on January 14, 2019 at 8:59 am

5 ish?
        Got my hands full with RedHawk basketball until them

• Flavor said, on January 14, 2019 at 10:37 am

2. willedav said, on January 14, 2019 at 8:27 am

reading the Machado story on MLBTR, consensus seems to be even if White Sox get him they aren’t ready to contend anyway for a few years so you gotta wonder what the appeal (other than $$$) of going to 100 L team is.

• alleykat69 said, on January 14, 2019 at 9:24 am

Machado’s going to end up in Philly is my guess..

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 14, 2019 at 8:47 am

Seems like the Oracle naming rights could help with the cost of Harper.

• sandog said, on January 14, 2019 at 8:58 am

Insert Ryan Gossling clapping GIF here……

• djloo27 said, on January 14, 2019 at 9:05 am

He’s a much better choice…

• sandog said, on January 14, 2019 at 9:27 am

I dunno. Those claps look a bit derisive. I want enthusiastic applause for Dirt’s tremendous logic!

4. alleykat69 said, on January 14, 2019 at 9:23 am

Were bringing back a small fish,
    Derek Holland 1year 7 mil & a club option woopee.

• sandog said, on January 14, 2019 at 9:28 am

Good move. I’m happy with this as well.

• djloo27 said, on January 14, 2019 at 9:47 am

At least we won’t have to forfeit a game every 5th day…

5. Flavor said, on January 14, 2019 at 10:38 am

Holland coming back on a deal like that is what I expected.

• Flavor said, on January 14, 2019 at 10:39 am

and you know what? Right on. He was fine last year. We can rebuild and still send out some competent starters throughout the season. Ain’t like he’s blocking someone.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 14, 2019 at 10:48 am

Still sort of funny (sad) that on Friday the club was foreshadowing an upcoming signing aaaaand…..Holland.

7. alleykat69 said, on January 14, 2019 at 11:44 am

Yeah Holland is are mystery signing lol.

8. sfsarge said, on January 14, 2019 at 12:15 pm

I really hope that the Giants are not in on this guy. Especially after the numbers he put up last season. Say they get him and everyone else sucks (which they do), he’ll never get anything to hit. Now, let’s talk money, 2 years 80 mil. Ok cool, what’s the point, this team is probably at least 3 years away from being decent again. 10 years 300. Now we’re talking a significant chunk of the payroll tied up in a guy who it remains to be seen will be worth it even in the first few years. And everyone knows the last 5 to 6 years of these deals end up being pretty painful. There’s a reason no one really gets paid like that anymore.

• blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2019 at 12:20 pm

You read my mind Sarge (i.e., 3 years before being decent again). Good post.

9. blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2019 at 12:18 pm

Expectations are off the chart here . . . Our existing contracts and putrid farm system means Zaidi’s hands are tied. Even a genius like him can’t make lemonade out of this shit. Regardless, Farhan is an eternal optimist and indicates as the off season develops, more opportunities to improve the squad will occur. I believe him. Read this article about an interview he gave Friday (link to audio link and partial transcript is imbedded) . . .

I’m giving Farhan at least 3 seasons before the turn around is complete. That’s how bad this roster and farm system is.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 14, 2019 at 12:26 pm

I’m not expecting the club to sign Harper but with I’m not against it.

10. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2019 at 12:40 pm

Well, you are either rebuilding or hoping against hope that the vets come through and we don’t populate the DL like pepperoni on a large pizza.

Machado or Harper would be a move to bolster a shakey roster, but I think it would set the team back another 2 years. Like to 2023.

11. snarkk said, on January 14, 2019 at 1:48 pm

Giants had the great Bonds in the 2004-2007 dark years. Surrounding him with crap players resulted in loads of walks for him, lots of losses. Harper is not close to Bonds on what he brings to a lineup. I fail to see the attraction for this guy to be in SF the next few years surrounded by a meh lineup…

• sandog said, on January 14, 2019 at 2:19 pm

Totally disagree. Harper ain’t Bonds, but he’s one of the 3-4 best hitters in the game. Career OPS of .900 is the real deal. And I don’t think our present team is crap. I believe Buster and our infield have a few good years left in them. Their contracts are horrible, and it will get ugly at some point, but I don’t think we are there yet.

12. djloo27 said, on January 14, 2019 at 3:05 pm

His stellar rookie season is one my earliest baseball memories.
    Requiescet in pace…

13. djloo27 said, on January 14, 2019 at 3:09 pm

Francesa reports that the early forecast calls for an arctic blast to hit KC on Sunday.
    Possible game time temperature of minus -10 (not including the wind chill)…

• Macdog said, on January 14, 2019 at 3:25 pm

Did he give the forecast for the NFC title game, too?

• alleykat69 said, on January 14, 2019 at 4:05 pm

I’ll take the under !!

14. bryceharpershair2097 said, on January 14, 2019 at 5:10 pm

Stop talking smack, Giants fans. I’m taking my talents to Southern California and winning titles with the Dodgers. I’ll single handedly destroy SF’s minor league pitching. LA is now title town! Go Rams!

15. gianthead said, on January 14, 2019 at 5:16 pm

You know who is leaking there is a mystery team in on Harper??? Scott Boras…his bitch ass self will do anything to squeeze more millions into Harper’s pocket, including making up shit and he has done it in the past. Even if there is a mystery it ain’t the Giants…them spending $7 million on Holland shows they are not going all in on a Harper.

Willedav, the reason Machado likely ends up with the White Sox (was my landing spot for him couple weeks ago) is that he gets to play with his bro in law in Yonder Alonso and apparently one of his best friends in John Jay. Some times those things are more important than winning and Machado has shown it is more about himself than necessarily winning or being a champion. I thought he would go balc to the AL as his preference because I still believe because of the pitching overall, the DH and the stadiums, it is easier as a hitter being in the AL.

• alleykat69 said, on January 14, 2019 at 5:51 pm

A possibility for sure GH with Whitesoxs.
      However Machado also has strong ties with Phillies new infield coach Bobby Dickerson, so this carousel ride continues..

• willedav said, on January 14, 2019 at 7:37 pm

mm I read that stuff about White Sox but I don’t really buy it as big deal. Neither of those two are likely to be around next year. What wouldn’t surprise me is Machado signs 2 yr deal (or longer) with opt out and if Sox aren’t any closer to contending he’s outta there.

16. Flavor said, on January 15, 2019 at 7:27 am

Mahomes is 6’3 and he’s got probably the best vision of the field of any QB in the league. Fanny said all of this a couple of days ago, not before the draft

17. snarkk said, on January 15, 2019 at 7:34 am

It’s going to be colder than a freezer in KC for the Pats/Chiefs. This favors Pats. Sad to say, but Brady has to be favored over Mahomes. I can remember the last time Chiefs were in the Super Bowl, hell I can remember vaguely SBI when they got smoked by the Pack. I hope they make it back this Sunday…

18. alleykat69 said, on January 15, 2019 at 7:55 am

Yeah I’m pulling for the Chiefs I think we’re all sick of Brady&Bellicheat.
    Pat’s run game has been on fire lately that has to be a concern for a shaky Chiefs defense though in this snow game..
    If Brady&Brees advance will they call this the “Depends Bowl”? Two 40 year plus QB’s going at, that would be a 1st in a SB.

19. willedav said, on January 15, 2019 at 8:26 am

I didn’t see much of Colts/KC game but it was really cold and snowing then and Chiefs moved the ball and shut down Luck. Colts had great stats on 3rd down coming in an their O line was supposed to be great but couldn’t get job done.
    If they can get after Brady and slow down running game (neither of which Chargers did at all) should be a ballgame. Special teams and turnovers always important too.

20. willedav said, on January 15, 2019 at 8:33 am

Beside QBs. other match up is Andy Reid vs. Belichick. hmmnn

• gianthead said, on January 15, 2019 at 8:46 am

I think the key to the game is that Pats defense wont be able to stop KC….maybe the weather will but that also is a problem for Pats.

21. xoot said, on January 15, 2019 at 9:38 am

No more five fives? Nowhere to go but up? Or the impossible scheme. From Baggarly’s story about the Holland signing:

“Giants president Farhan Zaidi made a bold statement shortly after taking over in November, saying it will be the mark of a successful offseason if the team comes to camp with Rodríguez and Suarez penciled in as Triple-A depth pieces. That’s a whole lot of ambition, and it’s probably not an attainable goal. But the point holds: Zaidi inherited a woeful lack of starting pitching depth. And when Holland’s market did not extend beyond one guaranteed year, re-signing him became the simplest math of all.”

22. unca_chuck said, on January 15, 2019 at 11:41 am

The biggest factor is the refs. NE won’t get their gift calls on the road.

23. wilcojoe said, on January 15, 2019 at 11:52 am

Yesterday was an epic day for laughs on social media. Between Trump’s fast food and candelabra welcome to the Clemson Tigers and the new Jets head coach’s crazy eyes press conference, I had to keep asking myself, “is this shit really happening?”

24. unca_chuck said, on January 15, 2019 at 12:29 pm

I’m semi-serious on that.

25. alleykat69 said, on January 15, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Gase looks like he did 12 rails of coke before he came out for that interview..

26. unca_chuck said, on January 15, 2019 at 2:53 pm

That’s up there with Jim Tomsula farting during his presser. One of the recent highlights of his tenure as 459er head coach.

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2019 at 4:12 pm

lol that is hilarious. The inserted farts during her pauses were the best

27. foxboroughfanatic1212 said, on January 15, 2019 at 3:53 pm

You guys will jump right back on our Patriots bandwagon when Kansas City loses on Sunday. As much as you don’t want New England to win again you won’t want the Rams or Saints to win a championship. But my Patriots don’t have a chance and the LA Rams are now a dynasty, so you’ll see them lift trophies while destroying the 49er twice a year.

• gianthead said, on January 15, 2019 at 6:45 pm

So is this stalker???? Yeah us Niner fans are Patriot fans…nor do we care about the Rams or Saints…

But how on fire are us real fans Warriros tonight…oh you are going to claim to be a Celtics fan now…

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2019 at 7:20 pm

Nuggets not ready for prime time.

28. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on January 15, 2019 at 7:09 pm

This bit of insight from an MLB story: “The Giants are probably hoping to see an offensive rebound from their 33-year-old third baseman this year.” *Probably*? The only rebound I want to see for Longoria is when he tries to latch on to another team after Z releases him after failing to find any takers for the guy…. Trouble is, other than Longo or Pablo, who’s on 3rd?

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2019 at 7:22 pm

San Dawg has hopes for Longo and I see where he’s coming from. Got one year of NL ball under his belt, that’s huge. There won’t be an ounce of pressure on him. I could see him going 20/80 if he doesn’t get injured again.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on January 15, 2019 at 7:31 pm

That would certainly be nice if he does that, it would be just what the team needs. Would’ve loved to have the Longo of 5 years ago. Just not sure he has it in him anymore….

• snarkk said, on January 15, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Watch, the dude is going to be hurt a lot…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on January 15, 2019 at 8:06 pm

That’s what I would guess will happen. But hey, if he is going to be SF’s 3rd baseman, then I hope SanDawg is right…..

• unca_chuck said, on January 15, 2019 at 9:08 pm

Mebbe we can get The Duffster back

29. snarkk said, on January 15, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Yep, Dubs laying a major can of Whupass onto the Denverites.
    Adults are playing tonight…