New England. Again.

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 21, 2019

Ugh, is this why everyone hates the Warriors? If Golden State kept doing this for 15 more freaking years, I can’t even imagine how much I’d hate them if I wasn’t a fan. I hate Tom Brady. The rest of the league should be embarrassed that they continue to let this old man saunter into the Super Bowl year after year….

You know, when I put out the call “for a nice first quarter sack that drives his dumbass into the ground” I was hoping it would come earlier than the middle of the 4th quarter. And when I said “Smash him” I was kinda hoping the 15 yard penalty they would take would be for a little more than the defender tapping him on the shoulder pad.

The protection the refs give Tom Brady is crazy. He’s probably pissed they didn’t issue a formal apology. Read this proclamation to the kingdom loudly in your best bad British accent:

“Dearest Most Excellent Majesty:

We sincerely apologize for allowing the plebeian from Kansas City to lay his soiled hand upon your chosen shoulder! If it happens again we shall guillotine him on the 50 yard line! No serf shall ever again lay hands on his highness!”

And before they called that bullshit shoulder tap penalty, the refs completely ruined the New Orleans game with the worst non-call for PI I think I’ve ever seen.

Here’s a way to fix all of this: Let penalties be reviewed, too. Same rules apply, if you challenge it and lose you lose a time out.

Both games yesterday were decided or severely impacted by referee incompetence. That just can’t continue to happen…..

1. Flavor said, on January 21, 2019 at 6:10 am

racing should only happen in the Winter time in California and Florida.

2. Bozo said, on January 21, 2019 at 6:34 am

Not only was the PI not called, it was also a helmet to helmet hit.

The Refs get what, about $200 grand a year? Don’t know if they get a bonus for doing the POs but somebody sure tipped them heavy for the Saints game.

I think I’ll see what PBS has on February 3rd, maybe the History channel will run a Viking soap opera marathon, or maybe I’ll check out the Refs in an Aussie Rules Football game…

3. Bozo said, on January 21, 2019 at 6:37 am

24 days until our pitcher and our catcher report, maybe Farhan Luke will get some other guys to keep those two company.

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 7:49 am

Great line! Wish I thought of it…

4. Flavor said, on January 21, 2019 at 7:03 am

Brady has dropped back to pass 81 times in these two playoff games. Yet to be sacked, he has been touched 2 times. I know their OC deserves a lot of credit for that. But unless this is the best OC of all time a fair amount of blame for not getting to him has to go on the defense and the DC. How can you put together a game plan that doesn’t focus entirely on disrupting this guy?

• willedav said, on January 21, 2019 at 7:10 am

Exactly and it works vs. all good QBs. Pats got after Mahomes who is lot more nimble than Brady and sacked him a few times. That one before half took them out of FG range. Still, kid had dang good game and Chiefs are fun to watch.

5. Flavor said, on January 21, 2019 at 7:08 am

i don’t expect the Saints fans to ever get over this. To this day, this game in ’84 pisses me off as much as it did the day it happened. Great read for Niner fans, btw

• Bozo said, on January 21, 2019 at 7:12 am

True dat.

• zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 7:33 am

Yeah, for a few years Zimmerman was a great NFL writer.

• zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 7:34 am

The only consolation was that Washington got trounced in the Super Bowl by the Raiders.

• unca_chuck said, on January 21, 2019 at 9:14 am

Niners Radiers woulda been EPIC.

• snarkk said, on January 21, 2019 at 10:18 am

This goes to my point yesterday, and I absolutely do remember that BS PI call on Lott that cost Niners the game, essentially. Phantom call. Niners in ’80s had to go through 3 top organizations to get to a SB. Dallas, Giants, Skins. I’d venture to say each one had far better defenses than the Chargers and KC this year. Pats face crap competition for over a decade in their division, and skate to home field most playoff seasons…

6. alleykat69 said, on January 21, 2019 at 7:33 am

Belichick always has a game plan in place,this time it was double teaming Hill all game and it worked for the most part.Then keeping Mahomes in the pocket with pressure up the middle, which totally worked in the 1st half..
    Hell it should of been 21-0 at half if Brady doesn’t give them a gift with that pick.
    Yeah we all wanted the Chiefs to win, but experience prevailed in the end.

• Flavor said, on January 21, 2019 at 7:58 am

the Chiefs D was dead man walkin’ the last couple of drives in the game and definitely in OT. They would have won if dumbass hadn’t lined his whole body up in the neutral zone.

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 8:03 am

Walrus brain could’ve called a TO to at least give them a little breather on the winning drive as Romo suggested…

7. willedav said, on January 21, 2019 at 8:11 am

Point Wilco made about OT is big topic. College rule 25 yd starting point makes it too easy for FG which is how you wind up with games like LSU-Tx AM that go on forever into 70 point range.
    But coin flip shouldn’t decide the game. Giving Mahomes a chance to run Chiefs down the field only seems fair.

• wilcojoe said, on January 21, 2019 at 8:24 am

That’s why I think the rule is actually better suited for the NFL where defense is (most of the time) actually valued. I don’t think we would ever see a situation like that in the NFL. I would also prefer seeing the ball started at around the 35 yard line. I think it would add more excitement, create some real strategy (especially considering the option of going for 2 point conversions) and most importantly be fair.

Funny you mention that LSU-A&M game, which also had a very controversial call that led to the Tigers getting upset. It’s been a rough year for folks in Cajun country.

8. djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 8:21 am

Carl Banks (who I usually can’t stand), just convinced me that the NFL OT rule is fine as is.
    It’s not designed to play to your team’s strength. Make a fuckin’ stop, hold ’em to a FG.
    Get the fuck off the field and give your offense a chance…

9. wilcojoe said, on January 21, 2019 at 8:32 am

From what I am seeing on social media, I don’t think the Super Bowl is going to have the ratings boost everyone thinks by having two big market teams. It seems everyone outside of New England and LA was rooting hard for the Cheifs and the Saints. I am seeing a lot of “going to sit this one out” type posts.

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 8:44 am

I’m going to sit this one out…

• blade3colorado said, on January 21, 2019 at 8:44 am

I’m part of that demographic. lqtm

• Bozo said, on January 21, 2019 at 8:47 am

10. unca_chuck said, on January 21, 2019 at 9:11 am

Been saying for a while these game-altering penalties should be reviewed.

11. unca_chuck said, on January 21, 2019 at 9:17 am

Reid should have taken a shot at the end of regulation. He had 12 seconds to run one last play to the end zone,

He never got the ball back. Playing it safe doesn’t work in the NFL. Esp against Belichick.

• snarkk said, on January 21, 2019 at 10:22 am

Reid and McVay did absolutely the same gelded coaching move at the end of the games. One more crack to the end zone to outright win a trip to the SB, and time for that one play, then you kick the FG if it doesn’t work. Who doesn’t want that? McVay got bailed out in OT. Reid didn’t, as is his MO…

12. wilcojoe said, on January 21, 2019 at 9:22 am

Loved the headline in today’s New Orleans Picayune. “Reffing Unbelievable!”

• alleykat69 said, on January 21, 2019 at 9:35 am

Yeah WJ their was also a highway sign after the game that said “We were Robbed “

13. alleykat69 said, on January 21, 2019 at 9:26 am

17% is now what Brady will have played in all of SB’s played.Thats just unreal to fathom..

14. alleykat69 said, on January 21, 2019 at 9:33 am

Yeah Chuck anytime you have a slither of chance to go for it in the end of regulation you do!
    Pats are also 3-0 in OT,all game winning TD’s in championship games against Raiders (tuck game) Atlanta SB,Chiefs Championship game!
    They win the coin toss it’s over!

15. Flavor said, on January 21, 2019 at 10:23 am

I’m not boycotting the SB that’s lame. I’m going to gamble on it front/back/sideways and will have a blast doing so…..

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:34 pm

I’m not “boycotting” it. I just dislike the whole thing, mostly because my team is never in it.
      I can’t look at the Pats anymore. I’m in a couple of box pools. Another thing that I’m not allowed to win…

16. unca_chuck said, on January 21, 2019 at 10:27 am

Not boycotting, I just won’t go out of my way to watch. It’ll be our first full day in Puerto Rico besides.

17. snarkk said, on January 21, 2019 at 10:41 am

Hey, my Bears Boy Goff, only 24 years of age, went 25-40 with a TD and some great late clutch throws in a hornets nest of an oppo stadium. The kid is going to be really good by the time he’s 27…

18. snarkk said, on January 21, 2019 at 10:48 am

Looks likely I will be in Valley of the Sun at least 3-4 days in first week of March.
    If anybody is going to be there for STraining, maybe we can sync up…

19. gianthead said, on January 21, 2019 at 10:48 am

Bozo, NFL refs do get a sizable bonus by getting to do playoff games. You should be able to give each coach a challenge or one each half for non-calls or to challenge a penalty.

Of course not all potential penalties or non-calls will have camera coverage. It was a terrible non-call and if it was against the Niners, we would all be pissed. But the Saints and Brees were lucky that the Rams player simply did not glance over at the ball because he had one of the easiest int and pick 6s in playoff history. He makes that play, game over. Saints at least got it into OT. I have no heartburn over the non-call…

• Bozo said, on January 21, 2019 at 11:09 am

It was two non-calls, it was also a helmet to helmet hit.

The one ref who was watching that play must have gotten an extra bonus…from the Rams.

20. gianthead said, on January 21, 2019 at 10:53 am

I think you could have easily seen Mahomes make a mistake and throw an int into the end zone trying to force a td. I thought kicking the field goal right there was the right call. If you can’t have your defense stop Tom Brady one crucial time, do you deserve to be in the Super Bowl???

Thankfully was not gambling even though I had the Rams. I would have had the Chiefs and the under, which looked like a lock after the first 3 qtrs…

21. Flavor said, on January 21, 2019 at 11:03 am

Pereira on knbr right now saying we need an 8th ref in the skybox not stopping the game for a review but just being in the ear of the head ref . I’d support something like that

• snarkk said, on January 21, 2019 at 11:28 am

So, OK, what does SkyRef say to the umpire on the field?
      Joe the side judge just blew it? Then what?
      Unless Joe’s PI non-call is reversible, SkyRef adds nothing…

• Flavor said, on January 21, 2019 at 11:58 am

calls, or non calls, get changed all the time during ref conferring immediately after the play. Pereria noted that the 2 refs who were right there normally would confer. This time that didn’t help. Having a skyref who could also confer would fix that.

• snarkk said, on January 21, 2019 at 1:26 pm

OK, got it…

22. zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 11:23 am

A huge amount of homes have Super Bowl gatherings no matter who’s playing. It’s become a kind of national event.
    The most unfortunate thing is how awful the long halftime shows have become. We used to get U2 or Prince or some other great act. Now we get total crap.

• Macdog said, on January 21, 2019 at 11:32 am

Hey Zum, big game in Brooklyn today! Who had the Nets and Kings both over .500 this far into the season?

• zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 12:41 pm

Yeah, it’s a whole different feeling for Kings fans these days. A feeling of coming out of a long time in the wilderness. They’re finally drafting picks well, after about a 10 year period of ineptitude in the front office. Cousins was a strong draft pick in those days, but he was the exception.
        I’ve got today’s game on; it’s starting right now. I have today off on the MLK holiday.

• zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 12:44 pm

And so great for Brooklyn to have a pro team. I know what it means to Sacramento to have a team.

• zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 12:46 pm

Both teams play a fun, up-tempo style.

23. zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Yikes, the Nets are really good. 🙂

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 1:51 pm

If there’s any juice in Brooklyn over the Nets, I ain’t feeling it.
      Gotta look up their attendance figures…

24. djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 1:54 pm

I had a thought before that I haven’t heard from anyone. How about the guy lined up next to Dee Ford noticing his big fuckin’ arm and telling the idiot to back the fuck up?

• Macdog said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:07 pm

Hey Loo, how come you don’t like Banks?

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:11 pm

I have no money to put in them…

• Macdog said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:15 pm

I’m just the straight man.

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:36 pm

What did you mean?

• Macdog said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:40 pm

“Carl Banks (who I usually can’t stand) . . . . “

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 3:19 pm

Ohhh, sorry – short-term memory is so shot. I think he’s a little too full of himself and I don’t care for his voice or his clothing line which is just a rip-off of other people’s stuff. Translation: I’m probably just jealous of the SB titles. I don’t doubt his knowledge and he was certainly a helluva LB…

• Macdog said, on January 21, 2019 at 3:26 pm

Ok. He gives a lot of quirky, off-the-wall takes, some that are good and some that are WTF is he talking about. And he doesn’t hold back on ripping the Giants, who have offered plenty of reasons to do so the last two seasons.

25. zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:09 pm

D’Angelo Russell can flat-out shoot the ball.

• Flavor said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:19 pm

Fakers did get Kuzma out of that trade but Russell, right now, would be the second best player on their roster. He coulda been the LA “Kyrie” for LeBron

• Macdog said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:20 pm

Yeah, Magic couldn’t get rid of him fast enough, haha.

• Flavor said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Magic probably wanted a clear path for Ball who, frankly, isn’t very good. He’s ok. But I think it’s clear that was a wasted #3 pick or whatever he was

26. zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:13 pm

That’s too bad the Nets aren’t getting better attendance.

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:20 pm

It’s a Knick town no matter how much they suck. Brooklyn is mostly hipsters and various ethnic and religious sects who stay with their own and want little or nothing to do with any “outsiders”…

27. zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:35 pm

Kings look a step slow in the second half. The afternoon game-time factor may have kicked in a little.

28. zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:37 pm

Yep, this game is over. Nets were the sharper, quicker team today.

• Macdog said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:43 pm

Always good to beat one of these superior West teams 😉 Also, Nets have been without one of their best players, Caris LeVert, since mid-November.

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 3:24 pm

That name sounds a lot like my favorite Net ever – the late, great Levern Tart…

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 3:26 pm

I think Sonny Dove was killed trying to drive over an open drawbridge in Brooklyn…

29. zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:43 pm

Shumpert was 1-9 from the field. He stunk on both ends of the court. The Kings like him a lot as a good team guy, clubhouse guy; but he’s too inconsistent on the court.

• zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:43 pm

1-10 now, as he misses a layup.

30. zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 2:46 pm

And the game ends up a blowout. That’s disappointing. Maybe the Kings partied in NY City last night.

• Flavor said, on January 21, 2019 at 3:05 pm

you Kings fans seem to make a lot of excuses for the Kings. Just an outsiders observation.

• zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 3:19 pm

Probably true. 🙂

• zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 3:26 pm

Warriors can have Shumpert if they want him. 🙂 🙂

31. blade3colorado said, on January 21, 2019 at 3:04 pm

I just looked at a good online display of all the SB rings . . . Only problem is that the last one is New England’s SB LI ring. Question – are the Eagles still in the process of approving/making their rings?

• zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 3:28 pm

The website is most likely late on updating. That happens sometimes on the World Series ring website.

32. alleykat69 said, on January 21, 2019 at 4:02 pm

Not saying I’m a NBA talent evaluator, but I was really thinking 🤔 the Kings should of drafted Luka Donicic over Bagley?
    Thoughts from you Kings fans on that pick?

• zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 5:43 pm

Others may think differently, but I still would rather have Bagley. The Kings need his aggressive post-play. He’s only 19. His potential is huge. And he runs the court well, which fits in with their style.

33. zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 5:45 pm

When Shumpert was at 1-5, he should have stopped shooting. Uh, dude, there’s a reason the opponent is leaving you so wide open.

34. zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 6:44 pm

The 76ers are thumping the Rockets pretty hard tonight. Defending the honor of the East. 🙂

• Flavor said, on January 21, 2019 at 7:02 pm

Harden is masking maybe the worst offensive performance by a team this year. NONE of their other players can hit a shot tonight

35. djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Harden at the Garden this Wednesday.
    The Knicks do not know the meaning of defense.
    I smell a contest – (probably with no prize).
    I predict he goes for 67…

36. djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 7:51 pm

I have a very personal and emotional memory of the day after the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King that I will never forget and still means a lot to me. I’m not skilled enough to write it out. I would just say that the white kids at Andries Hudde Junior High in Brooklyn were taught an amazing lesson about life by a little grey haired Italian (?) assistant principal named Mr. Tedeschi that took about 1 minute. I wonder if I’m the only one who remembers it 50+ years later…

• Flavor said, on January 21, 2019 at 8:25 pm

a tease like that deserves at least an attempt at the story

37. djloo27 said, on January 21, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Leave it to me to attend a school named after a man who died on his way to Maryland to open a brewery (Per Wikipedia). The word in school back then was that he was a notorious horse thief…

38. zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 9:21 pm

Warriors are in juggernaut mode tonight.

• willedav said, on January 21, 2019 at 9:41 pm

Thompson was just unreal. He had as many points in 3rdQ as entire Lakers team who were down 30 by then.

• Flavor said, on January 22, 2019 at 5:53 am

going forward, this is how it’s going to be. I don’t expect Cousins to be the Boogie of old but with 4 all stars taking the floor every night (I don’t really consider Draymond an all star but he’s a great facilitator out there) it will be damn near impossible for all 4 to go cold on the same night. So, every game someone is going to go off. Tough for the rest of the NBA to stop when you can’t risk double teaming anyone….

• unca_chuck said, on January 22, 2019 at 8:31 am

Draymond not an all star?

• Flavor said, on January 22, 2019 at 9:01 am

He’s an all star because he’s been an all star. But in terms of using the term for stud offensive studs, obviously he isn’t one.

• unca_chuck said, on January 22, 2019 at 11:14 am

He’s the best defender in the league by a mile. the Warriors don’t win anything without him.

39. zumiee said, on January 21, 2019 at 10:37 pm

Bell is unhappy with his amount of playing time these days, but that’s what it’s going to be with Cousins on the team now.

• Flavor said, on January 22, 2019 at 5:53 am

whatever. He can sit, watch and learn. He makes a lot of dumb mistakes.

• willedav said, on January 22, 2019 at 7:57 am

he’s pretty dang lucky to be here and my guess he’s gone after this season. Flav’s right he makes way too many dumb mistakes, and he has zero offensive skills compared to other NBA guys his size.

• unca_chuck said, on January 22, 2019 at 11:13 am

If Cousins doesn’t stay (likely), then they’ll prolly keep Bell. He is a good defender.

40. unca_chuck said, on January 22, 2019 at 8:34 am

Bell can follow McCaw into oblivion.

• willedav said, on January 22, 2019 at 10:13 am

yes. He’s like the 8th best forward/big on team and no possibility of getting past Jerebko Looney McKinnie, or Jones once he is healthy.
      Short story on Chron website re: argument with Kerr. Still trying to find out what that was about. Did Webber say anything about it? I had stopped watching by then.

41. unca_chuck said, on January 22, 2019 at 11:12 am

Kerr said during the 1st quarter break that he was sure Weber was ripping him about something that happened during the game. I didn’t really catch what Kerr said, but they all got a good laugh out of it.

• unca_chuck said, on January 22, 2019 at 11:15 am

I think it had something to do with Cousins.

42. willedav said, on January 22, 2019 at 12:21 pm

Bell might be OK at defending guys more his size but not against bigs that kill the Warriors at the rim like A Davis Randle KA Towns Capela Adams yada yada. And LBJ will do same to them when he gets healthy and go right to the rack and at least draw fouls if not the and 1.
    He can’t hold candle to Iguodala or Green at D end either. He just doesn’t seem to be able to figure out how to improve enough to get to that point. Right now he’s stuck doing fractions while the others are doing calculus.

43. unca_chuck said, on January 22, 2019 at 12:27 pm

For a 2nd team guy, he’s OK. He’s still young so there’s time to improve, but if he doesn’t show signs of growth pretty soon, yeah, he’s gone.

44. djloo27 said, on January 22, 2019 at 3:19 pm

Waiting to hear if Bonds makes HOF…

45. djloo27 said, on January 22, 2019 at 3:21 pm

Of course not…
    Rivera
    Halladay
    E. Martinez
    Mussina

46. djloo27 said, on January 22, 2019 at 3:29 pm

I’m not sure Francesa knows Halladay is dead.
    He just congratulated him…

• Flavor said, on January 22, 2019 at 4:06 pm

oh man I hope that dude posts that clip on twitter.

• Macdog said, on January 22, 2019 at 5:02 pm

Yesterday, he thought a photoshopped picture of Todd Gurley exchanging jerseys with a referee after the Saints game was real.

• Flavor said, on January 22, 2019 at 5:13 pm

i saw that

47. Flavor said, on January 22, 2019 at 4:07 pm

• Flavor said, on January 22, 2019 at 4:10 pm

they’re gonna vote him in on his final year. These fucking bitches enjoying Bonds twist in the wind. Fuck them. Look where the % is trending, I’m telling ya, they’re gonna vote 75% in year 10.

48. alleykat69 said, on January 22, 2019 at 5:29 pm

Bonds&Clemens will go in as a tag team in their final year no doubt!
    But that smuck Schilling should never get in, let the hall have is ketchup sock 🧦 🥫only !
    Glad to see Edgar Martinez finally get in on his last chance,he revolutionized the DH position like no other imo..

49. Flavor said, on January 22, 2019 at 5:34 pm

WTF is wrong with this guy?

50. Flavor said, on January 22, 2019 at 7:20 pm

if I had to listen to this guy daily I’d throw my radio out the window

51. snarkk said, on January 23, 2019 at 12:05 am

Rivera
    Halladay
    E. Martinez
    Mussina

OK, how many of the BBWAA or whatever it is that voted for these guys are 100% certain that each one of the above new entrants NEVER, EVER used PEDs during their careers? EVER. Anybody 100% certain I want to hear from on how that certainty came about. If any writer is NOT certain that each one of the 4 he/she voted for has never been a PEDS user, then that writer’s vote is bogus to let any one of these above 4 players in, but not Bonds or Clemens…

52. djloo27 said, on January 23, 2019 at 5:10 am

I’d set the over/under for Harden tonight in NY vs. defenseless Knicks at 52.5.
    And I’ll take the over…