Quiet Time

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 23, 2019

Now that we’ve all fully and completely gotten past the travesties of the last NFL weekend (haha, good luck getting past that one, New Orleans fans) we now move into….The Dead Zone. Nobody remembers an NBA game in February. NFL is in hype-mode for 2 weeks. Hockey is…..still going on? And baseball has never been slower. Although really, that should change. At some point you would have to think that Machado and Harper will sign this and play this season.

That means nothing to the Giants, of course. The quietest, lamest off season in this team’s history is upon us. Remember Sabean’s first off season? Wow! Bang! Bang!

Zaidi has chosen a path less traveled. This almost seems like a path untraveled.

1. willedav said, on January 23, 2019 at 8:12 am

More I think about Dirt’s POTD the more I think he’s right, and the lack of FA signings surprises me. As Kris Bryant said, “Why wouldn’t you want Bryce Harper on your team?” For SF obviously he upgrades the LU and the OF immediately. Superstar players generate fan buzz and get them into the park. A team like the Astros would be a hit anytime they came into Oakland to play A’s.

2. goldenstateglobetrotters said, on January 23, 2019 at 8:15 am

February is a good month for the Warriors to go for a few more All-Stars. As a loyal Dubs fan, I think we won’t be set until we get Lebron, Kawahi, and Westbrook at the very least. Winning by only twenty points or less is unacceptable and the Western team in the All-Star game should be only Warriors. And we can’t keep getting screwed by officiating in our blowout wins over the Clippers. Go Dubs!

• snarkk said, on January 23, 2019 at 8:49 am

As a long-time Dubs fan, I hate how the Dubs crush opponents now.
      I was so used to their decades of crappy play, bad trades, turnstile coaches, and a dipstick owner, I’m totally lost with all this winning.
      I dearly miss all the utter futility that happened until that darn Steph turned up.
      I look fondly back at having Sleepy Floyd’s 51 point game against the Lakers in ’87 being one of few highlights of 4 decades of crapdom. That Sleepy memory, repeated ad nauseum during the constant losing, was comforting to me like a kid’s blankie. Now, it’s gone in a sea of success.
      It really galls me that there are no longer 20 win seasons, with no hope of getting out of laughinstock land. Good times then.
      I light up when I think of how listening to Don Nelson crack Frank and Mike on KNBR was the zenith of the Dub’s week.
      Now, instead I have to listen to Steve Kerr’s intelligent, crafty repartee with a media he has eating out of his hand.
      I hate how Steph hits 30 footers like I eat Doritos.
      KD, Klay, Draymond, now Boogie, how can a Dubs fan stand all those great players on his team? It’s disheartening.
      Basketball should look really hard and ugly, not like a beautiful roundball version of Giselle with Steph in the title role and Draymond leading the dutiful Wilis.
      Shoot, my team’s players should be taking regular beat downs, not handing them out like candy.
      I loved the Dubs being the Lakers bitch since the late ’70s, not the other way around. That was something I could depend on.
      I thought I’d get back, too, in the losing groove with the Giants now, since they’re crap again. Those 3 championships grated the hell out of my negativity. Timmy, MadBum, Buster — taking the Series with all sorts of excitement, those guys were killing me. So, I thought I could depend on the dogmeat Dubs to keep me down from that 3 in 5 nonsense.
      But, no. The Dubs had to go and win 3 of 4, and be the best team in the NBA. By far. Maybe of all time.
      I’m on a bad streak as a fan having my teams be such winners.
      It almost makes me cry that winning championships seems so easy for my team, and that all the rest of Dubs fans enjoying this damn success see it as payback for 40+wilderness years. Sigh, what’s wrong with them?
      Don’t get me started, but this reminds me of the dark days of my Niners.
      Bill Walsh ruined everything.
      And, fuck Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott and Jerry Rice, too…

3. willedav said, on January 23, 2019 at 8:27 am

Meanwhile, “Authorities say former Raiders rb D McFadden posted bond after he was arrested on a DUI charge when he fell asleep in the drive thru lane at a fast food restaurant in suburban Dallas.” yeow

4. snarkk said, on January 23, 2019 at 10:46 am

LHP Drew Pomeranz reportedly goes to the Gigantes.
    Hmm, maybe activity by the ZMan is overrated…

5. zumiee said, on January 23, 2019 at 11:59 am

The ZMan never did gigantic free agent signings with the Dodgers. He is fully onboard with the sabermetric thinking on that.
    If the Giants are somehow somewhat competitive at the All-Star break this season, he may go for a roster addition or two, but won’t take on any gigantic contracts.
    My guess is his biggest focus right at the moment is trying to unload Smarj or Longo or Melancon, or any combination of the three.
    It’s “lipstick on a pig” time. The other GMs are so analytics driven now, though, it’s really hard to pull off a bamboozle anymore.

• zumiee said, on January 23, 2019 at 12:04 pm

Those three COMBINED for a 1.3 WAR last season, as they were getting paid high salaries.
      Good luck, ZMan!

6. gianthead said, on January 23, 2019 at 12:14 pm

Wow what a signing of Drew Pomeranz (tongue firmly in cheek)!!!!

NHL is such an non-entity that I totally the Sharks were in town last night and could had a free game to watch on TV. Oh well. Dubs here this Thursday but couple hundred dollars for a decent seat does not seemworth it….

• gianthead said, on January 23, 2019 at 12:18 pm

I’m all for just grabbing some potential players that may still have some upside like Pomeranz, but not sure what value he brings. Bullpen if they move Will Smith or Watson???

I thought they should have been a little more ambitious and went after Asivail Garcia. He signed just a one year deal for $3.5 mill and he has demonstrated more potential pop upside then the existing OF we have.

7. Bozo said, on January 23, 2019 at 12:43 pm

So much for Gerber. The Giants OF is so competitive, players are getting DFAed before putting on a uni.

• alleykat69 said, on January 23, 2019 at 1:05 pm

Back to selling baby 👶 food..

• Bozo said, on January 23, 2019 at 1:25 pm

Yup, whirled peas for everyone.

8. sandog said, on January 23, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Gerber’s gone? I had him penciled in to a left field platoon with Mac.
    Now I need to go back to the drawing board.
    Thank goodness we still have Drew Ferguson.

I like the Pomerantz signing. He has had some good stretches in his career. I’d feel better about him in the rotation than Suarez. Pomerantz throws a knuckle curve. Not the Burt Hooton variety, but the one where one of the knuckles on the throwing hand is in contact with the ball when he throws a curve. I remember watching a segment about it when he was on the Pads—very interesting stuff IMO.

9. djloo27 said, on January 23, 2019 at 3:40 pm

Markakis only gets one year/6 million to stay in Atlanta…

10. djloo27 said, on January 23, 2019 at 3:45 pm

Getting ready to watch Harden drop 70 on the Knicks…

• Flavor said, on January 23, 2019 at 4:02 pm

up to 70 now, eh? I’m going with 42 and he sits the 4th Q

• Macdog said, on January 23, 2019 at 4:07 pm

It’s the Knicks, Harden won’t get close to 70 because he won’t have to.

• Flavor said, on January 23, 2019 at 4:25 pm

they’re really doing a number on Penis Kanter. Even with Kornet out he can’t crack the starting 5.

11. Flavor said, on January 23, 2019 at 4:03 pm

Pomeranz. Whatever, fine. He’ll probably pitch ok at Snoracle actually…..

12. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on January 23, 2019 at 4:43 pm

Tom, kudos for your very funny 8:49 response to that annoying troll….

• zumiee said, on January 23, 2019 at 6:51 pm

Yeah, that was very cool.

13. Macdog said, on January 23, 2019 at 5:51 pm

Truly lulz, Harden has 36 at the half and the Knicks are winning.

14. Flavor said, on January 23, 2019 at 7:09 pm

15. Flavor said, on January 23, 2019 at 7:13 pm

how in the actual fuck do you go 5/20 from 3 and still drop 61. That is INSANE

• willedav said, on January 23, 2019 at 7:39 pm

shoot 25 FTs and make 22 of them. 17-38 from floor. 38 shots, in 40 minutes.
      A Trier, Arizona guy had 31 pts 10 boards 12-18 from floor for Bricks.

16. willedav said, on January 23, 2019 at 7:50 pm

The night Harden beat GS here in OT I thought Iguodala did the best job on him. He laid back a half step off his outside shot but wouldn’t let him drive and stayed down on all the pump fakes. If you go up he will lean into you and then flop. He does same thing on the step back. If you come forward to get closer to his shot he leans into you for the foul. Like him or hot he’s a crafty mofo.

17. djloo27 said, on January 23, 2019 at 8:16 pm

I would overplay him and try to force him to go right, but WTF do I know?

• willedav said, on January 23, 2019 at 8:42 pm

sure, very good point. also puts you closer to that shooting hand. He is so adept at shot fakes it’s really tough to keep off the line and he has killer crossover too. but yeah I’d rather live with him shooting 3s and going right.

When GS beat Houston in playoff Rockets missed something like their last 25 or so from 3..

18. snarkk said, on January 23, 2019 at 9:19 pm

The Pomeranz signing.
    More of these incremental moves to come.
    Has to be, because the Giants stuck contracts situation is dire.
    Plus, the farm system stinks, so it’s near impossible to make a trade of prospects for a good prospect, or for a decent MLB player.
    It’s now coming into focus what a total crap job SabEvans did as front office leaders since the 2014 championship. They’ve left a huge, stinking steaming pile in the “Oracle” offices for ZMan to clean up. 3 years minimum before this thing turns around to a playoff contender…

19. Irish Kevin said, on January 26, 2019 at 11:28 am

I think the scouts and the people who do the drafting should all be fired, how can you go wha15 + years without draffing a great OFder? And when you think about it, they got Bonds because he was a free agent? Anyone know who the last home grown power hitting outfielder was?