The Greatest

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 28, 2019

We needed a new thread if for no other reason than to get rid of that terrible headline…..

Magowan probably wasn’t our best owner. He never won it all. And he was, at best, just kind of an owner who looked the other way as the steroid era took over. But without him we wouldn’t have gotten the ballpark or won those 3 now dusty beauties.

So I guess you could argue he’s been our greatest owner. Ever.

Thank you Peter, we owe you everything.

screenshot 2019-01-28 at 5.37.11 am

1. Bozo said, on January 28, 2019 at 7:05 am

I’m sure there are a lot of people who will disagree with me, Selig and probably the Safeway union(s) come to mind, but in my books, Peter Magowan was a great man.

I’m pretty sure his percentage of ownership shares are still significant, so I hope they stay with his family (maybe a few shares to Mays and Bonds just to piss some of the other owners off).

Maybe the City honchos could change King street to Magowan way, so the ballpark, no matter the name, will be at the corner of Magowan and Mays.

• Flavor said, on January 28, 2019 at 7:32 am

Great idea. Baer was on knbr this morning fawning over magowan’s legacy and their “37 year friendship”. Disgusting.

• Bozo said, on January 28, 2019 at 8:09 am

I keep thinking that when Magowan stepped down from being the Managing Partner, he had to sell off some of his shares. And, if I’m remembering this right, Baer was able to buy a few shares and that was how he was able to sleaze his way into becoming one of the 30 owners.

• gianthead said, on January 28, 2019 at 10:55 am

Baer has his entire livelihood thanks to Magowan…wasn’t Magowan forced to sell the bulk if not all his shares are he did so “voluntarily?”

2. willedav said, on January 28, 2019 at 8:28 am

Off that original $100 mill Giants are now worth $2 billion and that’s probably a conservative estimate. Quite a haul for those still alive and raking.
    And zero excuse for not putting competitive team on the field, lux tax be damned. The idea bad contracts are hampering the team is just not true—SF could jettison anyone underperforming and not be Pirates.

3. unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2019 at 9:14 am

Willie, the problem is, they can’t keep signing bad deal after bad deal. Well I guess they could, but they had the highest payroll and 89 losses last year. 187 losses the last 2 seasons. Add Harper and his 500 gazzillion, and we are an 82 loss team with yet another onerous contract. Their problem is drafting. They are hamstrung by a depleted farm system. They’ve had a scrub OF and shit bench for the last 6 years. I still don’t know how we won in 2014. The last hurrah of post-roid ball.

Saw Peter once right after we moved to The Creek. Magowan’s ‘local’ Safeway is the one in Alamo near our house. Gave him a quick ‘hi’ and ‘thanks’. He smiled and gave me a quick knowing head nod.

Crazy that the team almost went to Toronto even before the St Pete move. Lurie giveth and Lurie (almost) giveth away.

4. Bozo said, on January 28, 2019 at 9:16 am

With the passing of Stretch, Hank and now Magowan, three of my favorites in Giants history didn’t make it through this winter. Somebody please wrap Mays up in some bubble wrap.

5. gianthead said, on January 28, 2019 at 10:53 am

The right title since he never owned a majority of the team stock was that he was the best managing owner when the consortium bought the team. Neukom stuck his head up and the rest of the jealous owners chopped it off.

6. gianthead said, on January 28, 2019 at 10:59 am

Oh I miss he died…woops…great first name. My loan interaction with him was at a game at RFK probably with the Nationals second season and he was at the game with George Will. Giants losing and about the 7th he gets up to leave, so I started heckling him…of course if this happened a couple of years later after our first world series, I would have said something nice..

7. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on January 28, 2019 at 11:35 am

I moved to the Bay Area in the Summer of ’92, went to as many games as possible, assuming it would be my last chance to see NL baseball. No doubt in my mind Magowan is the best Giants owner. Giving equal weight to architecture and funding, I’d make a case for Pac Bell Park as the most generous gift any sports owner ever bestowed upon a city.

8. Flavor said, on January 28, 2019 at 12:29 pm

heard on the radio this morning, maybe you all knew this but I didn’t, that Magowan signed Bonds to his deal BEFORE he owned the team. That’s some gangsta shit right there.

• snarkk said, on January 28, 2019 at 1:12 pm

I’ll go with the flow and assume there was no condition consequent in the Bonds deal that Magowan would own the Giants eventually …

9. snarkk said, on January 28, 2019 at 6:41 pm

Would anybody miss Larry Baer if he rode off into the Sunset District ?
    I assume the Giants PR machine runs itself pretty much by now.
    Whenever I hear the guy on radio or see him in an interview, I just get the feeling that the guy is disingenuous, uh, that is, full of crap. Happy talk, glad handing, and generalities, for the most part.
    Can’t argue with the marketing success of the Giants since Magowan and he took over, but it just feels like I need a shower after the guy talks.
    In contrast, Dusty Baker talked this morning on KNBR about Magowan. He said he had ups and downs with Magowan, but was mostly complimentary. Said that Magowan even loaned him money when Dustry had IRS troubles, which he did not have to do. And, that Magowan took a flyer on him when he hired him as Manager back in 1993, when Dusty had been a coach for a while, but no manager pedigree. He was much appreciative of that leg up from Magowan that started another career for Dusty that proved lucrative for himself and his family. A good conversation; I like Dusty. He’ll be 70 this year…

• Flavor said, on January 28, 2019 at 6:46 pm

I’m tired of Baer but not in the same way I was tired of Sabean and Evans. Baer doesn’t really impact the product on the field. He’s a superficial fuck to be sure but most marketing people I know are like that. He’s not going anywhere anyway.

• snarkk said, on January 28, 2019 at 6:54 pm

Yep.
        I have no hard evidence, but I think Baer puts business way before baseball product, and it’s really showing big time the last few years. ATT/Oracle is like a damn annuity, regardless of the product on the field, like Wrigley when the Cubs were Crap. Oracle + bobble heads and [ insert ethnic ] nights = a gimme 2.8 million butts in seats…

• djloo27 said, on January 28, 2019 at 7:52 pm

Seems like they give away some piece of shit almost every single game…

10. djloo27 said, on January 28, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Does anyone remember when the earliest possible release of Stix could be?

• sandog said, on January 28, 2019 at 8:53 pm

It would be easy to google, but I’m gonna say their first album came out in 1974.

• sandog said, on January 28, 2019 at 8:54 pm

Bad humor, sorry. I hope it’s soon, the guy has paid his dues in my book.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on January 28, 2019 at 8:54 pm

lulz

• sandog said, on January 28, 2019 at 8:58 pm

When I first read it, I actually thought he WAS referring to the band! I always read the blog backwards, so I figured a big classic rock discussion must have broken out.

• Flavor said, on January 29, 2019 at 5:45 am

lol I thought the SAME THING. I was revving up my Stix knowledge.

11. willedav said, on January 28, 2019 at 8:53 pm

There is a photo of P Magowan in flap bucket. Credits to whom for it not listed. Mac?

12. willedav said, on January 28, 2019 at 8:57 pm

Lot of 50 yrs stuff going on (Woodstock yada yada) 2019. Heard 3 cuts yesterday off EP short song release of upcoming Santana music for later this year. Stripped down group, pretty mellow groove, with some vocals. Not my style but…He’ll be performing in Bay Area I believe this May
    Wonder if Warriors bring him back for anthem during playoffs.

• Bozo said, on January 29, 2019 at 7:05 am

New Orleans Jazz fest will be celebrating their 50th this year. Santana is on the bill one day and if his wife, Cindy Blackman, is playing drums I’ll catch some of that set for sure. Won’t be going out the day the Stones and Tom Jones play.
      MLB is gearing up for what would have been Jackie Robinson’s 100th birthday party this year.

• willedav said, on January 29, 2019 at 7:25 am

that’s mrs. los? If that’s the gal that played with him before Warriors game (playoffs 2018), she’s fabulous. They did a duo version of nat anthem that was spectacular.

• Bozo said, on January 29, 2019 at 7:33 am

That was her. She is one of my favorite drummers, alive.

13. snarkk said, on January 28, 2019 at 9:47 pm

I’m seeing Rocks v Giants on March 3 at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, Phoenix.
    1:10 pm start.
    Let me know if you’re in the area…

• blade3colorado said, on January 29, 2019 at 7:05 am

I don’t think you saw my original post responding to your query about 2 weeks ago . . . Depending on taxes – (complicated this year and last year, as I am doing an amended 2017 tax return); and a trip to either Montivideo, Uruguay or Abruzzo, Italy – I might be up for this.

• snarkk said, on January 29, 2019 at 8:41 am

Ok, we‘ll trade emails…

• blade3colorado said, on January 29, 2019 at 8:58 am

What’s the first letter of your email (so I can do a search)?

14. zumiee said, on January 28, 2019 at 10:22 pm

Nice Magowan tributes on the MLB Network today.

15. djloo27 said, on January 29, 2019 at 4:08 am

Nothing does more for one’s popularity than dying.
    Seems to be all the rage lately…

• Bozo said, on January 29, 2019 at 8:00 am

“Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.” – Yogi

16. Bozo said, on January 29, 2019 at 8:11 am

So 16 days until pitchers and catchers report. We already know Joey Bart is getting an invite and since we have so many arms trying out, I’d imagine Rupp will get an invite.
    I’m wondering if the catcher that Zaidi brought over from LA’s low minors, Hamlet Marte will get a look and is his nickname Shakespeare? Maybe they will just call him Bill.

• Bozo said, on January 29, 2019 at 8:26 am

Aha, he is on the list – here is the non-roster invite list if anyone is interested. http://m.mlb.com/sf/roster/nri

Lovegrove and Anthony Garcia are going to be my ST longshots.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 29, 2019 at 9:50 am

Good call on Garcia. With 25 bombs he had a decent showing in the PCL last year. Between him and Williamson it could come down to who’s still standing when camp breaks.

• Bozo said, on January 29, 2019 at 10:45 am

True that, Dirt. Besides being a corner OFer with right handed pop, he has caught a little and touched a 1B mitt.

17. alleykat69 said, on January 29, 2019 at 9:28 am

Thats the best the Giants can do for Magowan is a plague?BFD Marvin Bernand has one ferchrissakes.

• djloo27 said, on January 29, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Great typo, Kat…

18. xoot said, on January 29, 2019 at 11:01 am

The Giants will find an appropriate way to honor Magowan. As long as they don’t bring back Poetry Day at the Park, one of his early Candlestick busts, it’ll be good. It’ll be good PR, too.

19. gianthead said, on January 29, 2019 at 1:10 pm

Looking at the 40 man roster…how can we have 5 white guys and that is it??? 5 of the whitest white guys you have ever seen….

20. djloo27 said, on January 30, 2019 at 4:02 am

Feels like the Flap All Star break here…