Squeezing Correa

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 31, 2019

This is a good example of what dumb shit going on with how mlb pays its best players:

screenshot2019-01-31at6.01.04am

Really Astros? You gonna go all the way to arbitration with this stud over $750K? Pay this man his money….

I know they don’t play the same position but would you rather pay Correa a paltry 5 mil next year or Manny 25 to 30 mil?

Anyway, we don’t have problems like this. Zaidi is too busy deciding our outfield between this coveted group: Mike Gerber, Drew Ferguson, Steve Duggar, Mac Williamson, Austin Slater and Chris Shaw.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

1. alleykat69 said, on January 31, 2019 at 7:03 am

Yeah Zman will show off our 3 to 5 mil total for all are outfield combo at fan day as everyone says “Who are these guys?”

2. willedav said, on January 31, 2019 at 8:36 am

Read that McC chron story with B Murphy…btw those 2 imo not a lot of baseball sense. His point re: the FG guy and wins above average is OK but the thing about value of guys who can hit fastball is nonsense.
    ML hitters can hit fastballs, esp off guys like Strick who eventually leave them up and out over plate without lot of movement.
    The better pitchers can spot them where you can’t do much with them except singles to opp field and then kill you with off speed stuff in the dirt if they are ahead. Being able to recognize them early enough to lay off them and to hit your pitch once or if you get it is the skill that separates good hitters from bad.

Don’t like 30 yr old players? I’d gladly take Goldschmidt JD Mart Verlander J Turner C Morton L Cain right now just to name a few.

3. willedav said, on January 31, 2019 at 9:04 am

Chron has previews for local college baseball teams. Starting 2b for Cal is soph Darren Baker.
    According to J T Snow, the little guy’s fav hitter on 2002 team was Kenny Lofton which is why he went out there to grab his bat while Snow was crossing the plate from 3b.
    Still funny to watch that.

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 31, 2019 at 9:16 am

McCovey Chronicles has taken a turn for the worse since Brisbee turned it over.

5. snarkk said, on January 31, 2019 at 9:17 am

This arbitration program seems to have some silliness in it…

6. gianthead said, on January 31, 2019 at 9:33 am

We need to go whiter for our outfield…where is Rob Deer…what they are dicking Correa over is difference between championship organizations (Houston got one…let’s see them repreat) what the Giants used to have, but what the current Dubs ownership understand and reflect and what Eddie D brought to the Niners. Winners take care of their players and make them play harder for you.

Hopefully this puts some long-term thoughts on Correa’s mind about his eventual gree agency…I’d take him every day over Machado…

7. gianthead said, on January 31, 2019 at 9:39 am

Friends back home in the Bay were emailing me pics of lovely shots around the Bay yday, so I sent them my pic of myself yday in Virginia..

• gianthead said, on January 31, 2019 at 9:43 am

It was zero degrees getting into my car and -7 wind chill…coldest morning of my life. How were the New Yorkers in Loo, Mac and Paulie???

• djloo27 said, on January 31, 2019 at 2:17 pm

Not all that bad, GH.
        For Stix, this would be a heatwave…

• sandog said, on January 31, 2019 at 9:59 am

That’s a good one G!

I’d rather have Correa for 5 mil than Manny for 30 as well, but only Manny is a free agent, so let’s open the checkbook and get it done.

8. snarkk said, on January 31, 2019 at 10:30 am

I’d have no problem with Melky in SF. I didn’t have a problem with him coming back years ago. If Posey still has a problem with it, he needs to get over it. With the current stable of OFers, Melky looks like he could help…

9. willedav said, on January 31, 2019 at 10:44 am

Even best orgs often have a position they just can’t fill. Boston signed Pablo away from SF to play 3b for $100 mil and he was terrible. They’re still paying him.
    Next they went with T Shaw and dumped him after a .720 OPS season. Then they picked up Nunez and brought up the Devers kid. Devers first season was .800 OPS, last year.730 albeit with 20 bombs.
    Meanwhile, I read MLBTR story about Tampa that mentioned Arroyo, who has been mostly injured and ineffective even at minor league level. Figuring out what prospects can really do, or not, ain’t easy.

10. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2019 at 11:04 am

Yeah, but we are going on 40 years without drafting a viable outfielder. that’s some serious suckage.

11. Flavor said, on January 31, 2019 at 11:21 am

I’d start the OF with Duggar in CF and WIlly in LF and fill out RF after that. Willy was great before the concussion. Sure, he’s injury prone but no one on our roster has that kind of power. Ride his big bat till he gets hurt again.

• unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2019 at 11:43 am

Which will be tomorrow . . .

• Flavor said, on January 31, 2019 at 11:59 am

maybe but I’m not holding the concussion against him, that was a freak thing and lots of times it takes till the following season to fully recover.

• unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2019 at 12:11 pm

I’m kidding but I hope the gets through a season w/o going down a la Belt and his 14 random weird injuries.

This team has been waylaid by injuries these past 4 years.

12. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2019 at 12:06 pm

This thread is why I’m totally convinced the owners were talking amongst themselves re: long-term deals.

If he is gonna get chippy over $750,000 then they are colluding.

13. sandog said, on January 31, 2019 at 12:29 pm

I can’t see 30 egomaniac owners all agreeing to hold contracts down. Someone would break ranks for sure IMO.
    As for our outfield, I think it will be platoon city.
    Gerber/Mac Ferguson/Duggar Slater/Shaw shit like that. Hopefully not exactly that. Hopefully a couple of guys mixed in there with those knuckleheads who has had some actual major league success.

• djloo27 said, on January 31, 2019 at 4:03 pm

Over/Under on total bombs those 6 guys hit as Giants in 2019: 18.5

14. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2019 at 12:50 pm

When the bottom line saves them all from themselves? I do. And I don’t think it’s anything like they hammered this out with tense negotiations, they just said ‘don’t do anything insane’.

15. Bozo said, on January 31, 2019 at 1:00 pm

Hey, y’all keep forgetting about Anthony Garcia in that OF mix. The dude is going to have a monster Spring, a get some saran wrap on the furniture kinda Spring.

16. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Coulda had an Anthony Garcia sighting. My wife has a biz conference in Puerto Rico, so we are leaving on Saturday for a week there and extend the trip for a week in the virgin islands.

I looked up the Winter league schedule and it ended 2 weeks ago! One Anthony Garcia plays outfield for the Gigantes de Carolina at Roberto Clemente stadium. Woulda been great to see a game there.

Guess I’ll have to suffer with Painkillers and beach time. Gonna scuba dive there for the first time. Can’t fricking wait!!

25 ding dongs and 91 ribeyes . . .

• blade3colorado said, on January 31, 2019 at 3:25 pm

Be careful Chuck . . . diver here. You probably already know this, but you should avoid pain killers when diving, especially salicylates, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Acetaminophen is alright, but just in general, the rule is try to avoid taking any type of medication when diving. That being said, have a blast . . . I’m envious.

17. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2019 at 3:52 pm

Nope. no drugs. No Ibuprofen?

18. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2019 at 3:53 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. I hadn’t heard about NSAIDs.

19. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Doh! I see. Painkillers are a local drink. 4 oz of rum with 4 parts pineapple juice, 1 part cream of coconut and 1 part orange juice, shaken and served over the rocks.

Apparently the place to get them is The Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost van Dyke Island in the BVI. We’ll be there next week.

• Bozo said, on January 31, 2019 at 4:16 pm

Sounds tasty.

20. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2019 at 4:04 pm

Fun fact: The original Painkiller was created in the 1970s by Daphne Henderson at the Soggy Dollar Bar at White Bay on the island of Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands.

21. zumiee said, on January 31, 2019 at 4:37 pm

I’m all for some platooning in the outfield, but the Giants are only going to carry 4 outfielders. Belt can play some leftfield when needed, as the 5th outfielder.

22. zumiee said, on January 31, 2019 at 4:39 pm

I expect the roster to be:
    13 pitchers
    6 infielders (Sandoval will be one of the back-ups)
    4 outfielders
    2 catchers

• zumiee said, on January 31, 2019 at 4:41 pm

I’m not sure who the back-up middle infielder will be. It seems like there’s a choice between going for a good hitter or a good fielder. I don’t know if they have anyone who is both.

• alleykat69 said, on January 31, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Geez 13 pitchers?
      We’ve all bitched about that in the past shaking are heads but now maybe so in the Zman thought process of (openers) who knows who gonna start from game to game and for how many batters?

23. djloo27 said, on January 31, 2019 at 6:11 pm

Wow, Knicks trade KP…

• Macdog said, on January 31, 2019 at 6:35 pm

I hope they have a backup plan for Latvian Heritage night next month.

• djloo27 said, on January 31, 2019 at 6:53 pm

Lozzles! Bet the Giants have one of those…

• Macdog said, on January 31, 2019 at 7:04 pm

They probably have all the Baltics covered.

24. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2019 at 6:41 pm

Saw that. Is AD going to the Knicks? With KD net year?

• Flavor said, on January 31, 2019 at 6:51 pm

Knicks have nobody to trade for AD. But I think the idea of Durant and possibly Kyrie to the Knicks next year can take on some fresh life…..

• djloo27 said, on January 31, 2019 at 6:54 pm

You love KP, Flav, IIRC…

• Flavor said, on January 31, 2019 at 7:50 pm

absolutely. Can’t wait for him to finally get healthy, I hope he plays a little for the Mavs at the end of this season. He’s great for the league.

• unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2019 at 8:14 pm

Even with Bron Bron singing to Kyrie?

• djloo27 said, on January 31, 2019 at 8:31 pm

Just sinking in how huge this trade is out of nowhere.
        I’m light on NBA knowledge, but seems like Knicks might’ve done ok…

25. djloo27 said, on January 31, 2019 at 8:03 pm

My favorite chick is on Jimmy Kimmel tonight.
    I hope she hasn’t changed too much in 58 years…

26. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2019 at 8:10 pm

Imbiid and Cousins are having nice battle tonight. Cousins is nowhere near great shape but he’s passing like a madman.

27. Macdog said, on January 31, 2019 at 8:31 pm

Hey Flav, I heard this one yesterday and found myself yelling at the radio, FFS, let her finish a fucking sentence.

• djloo27 said, on January 31, 2019 at 8:33 pm

I really like her.
      She shares my hatred of parades…

• Macdog said, on January 31, 2019 at 8:40 pm

I like her, too. She does a good job on the few occasions when she fills in on a weekend.

• unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2019 at 9:34 pm

Is Francesa mentally challenged? JEsus. He’s a litttle fond of his own voice.

• zumiee said, on January 31, 2019 at 9:49 pm

Probably just really lazy like Radnich. They both don’t put in preparation work. They just wing it, and it shows.

28. unca_chuck said, on February 1, 2019 at 7:46 am

He sounds like he got hit in the head with a 2 x 4.