LIII

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 1, 2019

I’m seeing an o/u of 56 and a line of NE -2 maybe 2 and half depending where you look. I’m taking the under because I think both these teams are going to try to run the ball and maybe that bleeds the clock off a little more than usual. Plus, the defenses are ok. If a conservative game plan is in the offing, for either team, this game is going under 56….

The point spread? Easy one. I’m taking the Rams and the +125 money line. As usual, I am putting the call out to SMASH BRADY EARLY. Put him on his ass.

Hey, if that happens, I’ll feel like a winner and the rest will be playing with house money….

1. Bozo said, on February 1, 2019 at 6:01 am

I’m only doing squares this year. I have a final score win for $900 and one that does quarterly #s (I need to recheck the payouts on that one).

Back to the “Squeezing Correa” thread, I gotta believe that increasing salaries came up at the Owner’s meetings the last few years. Collusion? I’m not as sure as I was when Bonds was black balled. Knock out the penny pinching teams, the bigger spending teams already with bloated salaries and there is probably just a few teams left in play. When you have Machado and Harper as FA, I wonder if the asshole factor hasn’t also come up, to keep some teams away from talking long term deals with those two. On collusion, I guess my question would be how many teams would be lined up right now if Trout was the FA?

12 days until pitchers and catchers report.

• Flavor said, on February 1, 2019 at 6:23 am

I’m usually the one who gets the square game going at work. This year, someone circulated a FREE square game. I was too disgusted to even offer up a competing game. Who plays for free? I’m just playing at draftkings this year…..

• Bozo said, on February 1, 2019 at 6:38 am

I never even heard of a free square game, whats the point?

• Flavor said, on February 1, 2019 at 8:08 am

Don’t know. Some lady is running it.

• djloo27 said, on February 1, 2019 at 3:09 pm

In Brooklyn, they’re called boxes, not squares.
        There’s a well known pool run out of Staten Island that’s like $ 10,000 per box.
        I think the winner got robbed or something a few years ago after collecting…

2. blade3colorado said, on February 1, 2019 at 7:26 am

“As usual, I am putting the call out to SMASH BRADY EARLY. Put him on his ass.”

This is frickin’ easy to accomplish, e.g., promote one of your defensive ends from the taxi squad and it’s his job in the 1st quarter to destroy Brady until he gets penalized out of the game or Tom’s on a golf cart.

3. willedav said, on February 1, 2019 at 7:37 am

Bozo is right. You don’t need to invite 30 to collusion conference, only 8-10 max. Over cigars/poison of choice someone asks “Hey have you heard from so and so?” And response is, “He can FOND. I’d no sooner talk to him than my exes lawyer.”

4. unca_chuck said, on February 1, 2019 at 7:55 am

fond? Fuck off ‘n’ die?

• willedav said, on February 1, 2019 at 8:21 am

yes. gal I used to play softball with 40 yrs ago first time I ever heard it.

5. willedav said, on February 1, 2019 at 8:28 am

Hope Hanson is part of back up mix, for IF and OF. He has speed and some pop from LH side. Lot of things to work on sure but fun guy to watch.

Hey Sixers in Sac next, they are physical team and fun to watch too. Simmons ever learns to shoot (FT pct is ridiculous) they’ll be tough. They had at one point McConnell and Reddick in the game at same time, 2 white boy Gs, very odd these days. And their bench guys (unlike Warriors) can shoot too. Like Boston tho they still take dumb shots and screw around with ball a lot. Maybe with Bron gone they get to Finals like either of them should have last year.
    Gotta laugh at the fascination 7 foot guys have with 3s? One of my fav trumpet players, Woody Shaw wrote a tune for Art Blakey called Love for the one you can’t have.

• Macdog said, on February 1, 2019 at 9:05 am

Sixers were knocked out by the Celtics in East semis last year.

• Flavor said, on February 1, 2019 at 10:23 am

Last night I said Durant and kyrie will be knicks next year. Today on saying “book it”

• gianthead said, on February 1, 2019 at 11:36 am

imo Kyrie is opting out and going to Lakers…KD stays one more year and then he and Anthony Davis end up in 2020 in NY…

6. gianthead said, on February 1, 2019 at 11:41 am

One of the signs of the Giants continued disinterest in talking to Harper has to be because he is representsted by the devil himself Scott Boras…I think the Giants decided long ago they are never dealing with that lying back-stabber sob… sorry Dog!!!

• alleykat69 said, on February 1, 2019 at 1:03 pm

That would go with Machado as well another Borass client. Shit does that scumbag represent most of the F/A out there???

7. Macdog said, on February 1, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Derek Law was designated for assignment to clear a roster spot for Andreoli.

• Bozo said, on February 1, 2019 at 2:04 pm

Zaidi sure is waiver wire loving dude.

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 1, 2019 at 1:46 pm

This Andreoli guy is Bowker Gang material. Good news is D Law will have plenty of time for The Twitter.

9. alleykat69 said, on February 1, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Geez this guy is Andreoli is even below Bowker gang status..

10. unca_chuck said, on February 1, 2019 at 2:55 pm

Yeah, been saying that KD is leaving since before the Draymond fight. And I think the Knicks as well.

11. djloo27 said, on February 1, 2019 at 3:39 pm

Francesa likes the Rams +3 even though that’s not the line. He’s been known to do this to suit his selections…

• Flavor said, on February 1, 2019 at 4:11 pm

well that sucks. Glad I’m playing at draftkings and not betting on the Rams but I still stick by my no-money bet on the Rams but I’d take the ML

12. Flavor said, on February 1, 2019 at 5:31 pm

it’s crazy how Law got df’a for some random dude like Andreoli. I mean, this guy is just an absolute nothing.

• djloo27 said, on February 1, 2019 at 5:57 pm

DFA: Doughy Fuck Axed

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 1, 2019 at 6:11 pm

lulz

13. Bozo said, on February 1, 2019 at 5:34 pm

OK, I suck at this – SF pitchers and catchers 1st workout is actually on the 14th, full squad workouts start on the 18th.
    Chi was much better at this. Where is that dude?

• djloo27 said, on February 1, 2019 at 5:59 pm

He’s always busy with his dog.
      I think he’s sending him for dancing lessons or something…

• Bozo said, on February 1, 2019 at 6:49 pm

Chi and his dancing dogs, now that spells entertainment.

• djloo27 said, on February 1, 2019 at 9:19 pm

• snarkk said, on February 1, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Hope he’s ok…

14. snarkk said, on February 1, 2019 at 6:02 pm

Derek Law.
    I’ll be very surprised if somebody claims him.
    I hope I’m very surprised…

15. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 1, 2019 at 6:09 pm

Are some of you actually and really advocating for Brady to be mauled and hauled off the field on a golf cart? Or are you speaking metaphorically? Just curious.

• willedav said, on February 1, 2019 at 7:25 pm

Gotta admit, I haven’t been much of a fan of Boston teams but I don’t have anything against Brady.
      The hostility from Niners fans for him over GOAT and Belichick for his surly demeanor (etc) is a bad look. One of the locals who writes for Chron has been bad mouthing them and game all week.
      Get over it. Rams got to play 2 games each vs. couple of the worst teams in all football this year in their own division. Take a look at who has top 4 picks in the draft. The Niners and Cards have been flat awful for years now.
      Yes putting pressure on any elite QB is always part of game plan. Yet neither Chargers nor Chiefs could do much about it despite fact Brady is 40+ and not exactly nimble.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 1, 2019 at 7:31 pm

Good example of a key strategy to put pressure on a QB in the Super Bowl would be Cowboys-Broncos back in ’78 game. Tom Landry of course knew Craig Morton very well and knew he had zero mobility, so Harvey Martin and … Too Tall Jones? Randy White?… just teed off on him all game long. Broncos were never even in that game because of that…

16. Flavor said, on February 1, 2019 at 7:52 pm

I want Brady to get hit a few times the way Montana got hit for his entire career. If he can deal with it and keep playing, good for him. My guess is that he gets hit, gets skittish and plays like shit all game. Unfortunately the *getting hit* part is the hardest thing to see happen.

17. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 1, 2019 at 7:59 pm

Brady can definitely get skittish, even if he’s not getting hit a lot, although getting hit a lot would certainly make him more so. Watch him when he comes to the line of scrimmage. When he’s “on”, he’s talking to his players, surveying the D, etc., got a confident look in his eyes. Both losses to the NYGiants, he never looked comfortable, got to the line and sort of had a scared look in his eyes, no talking to his players, just hike the ball and hope. He had that same look at times last year in losing to the Eagles. You’ll be able to tell pretty quickly which way he’s gonna go….

18. zumiee said, on February 1, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Nuggets/Rockets 83-71 at halftime. Not a clinic on how to play defense.

19. djloo27 said, on February 1, 2019 at 8:27 pm

Only Boston team I ever rooted for was the 1967 Red Sox.
    Only Patriot I ever liked was the great RB, Jim Nance.
    The NHL killed the once great Ranger-Bruin rivalry…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 1, 2019 at 8:50 pm

Nance was great. He had some rough times after retirement. Met him once sometime in the ’80s at a cancer fund raiser, he was in a wheelchair, think he’d had a stroke, but he was smiling and telling all sorts of stories, just seemed like a great guy. Died way too young.

20. alleykat69 said, on February 1, 2019 at 8:50 pm

Yeah I remember Jim Nance Loo.
    Great hardnose runner,think he might of been a mvp of the league one season?
    Coolest Helmets as a kid for me was the Boston Patriots one with the minuteman snapping the football, just thought they were badass!

• djloo27 said, on February 2, 2019 at 10:32 am

You’re right, Kat! Had to look it up…

21. unca_chuck said, on February 1, 2019 at 10:57 pm

Willie, some of it has to do with the cheating. Stealing signals. Spygate.

Ken Willard was the man!

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 6:09 am

Brady is also a Trump fan too big of a pussy to admit it. Remember when he had that dumbass hat in his locker and reporters were asking him about it and he *skirted* around the issue. Then the hat was gone and no one pushed him about it again. NE press treat Brady with kid gloves. That guy’s whole fucking life has been getting treated with kid gloves.

22. Bozo said, on February 2, 2019 at 6:45 am

Paul, I’ll admit that for a brief moment I had hoped that both team planes would crash and the Super Bowl was cancelled. So in a way, I guess I wanted Brady to get smashed. Now, I’m just thinking about cooking up a mess of chicken wings with some nachos on the side.

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 6:51 am

Hey, if Brady gets hurt, so be it. It’s a tough man’s game, or at least it used to be. I just want him to get smashed, hard, and then let the “Brady’s” fall where they may…..

23. willedav said, on February 2, 2019 at 7:49 am

” some of it” “I just want him to get smashed” OK .
    Hey as kid it bothered me the Celtics and UCLA b-ball won all the time. But to denigrate accomplishments over stuff like politics and sweatshirts/ supermodels yada yada, you’re sailing down the big river in Egypt.

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 8:46 am

disagree. These players don’t live in a vacuum, what they’re into, not into etc… can easily be factored into why a fan may like or dislike a player. Obviously we don’t know a lot about most of these guys. As info becomes available, I adjust my opinions of them accordingly…..

24. willedav said, on February 2, 2019 at 8:35 am

Even Alex Pavs has column on Harper to the Pads making sense…wonder what buzz from fanbase is down there and how much would it take, yrs/opt outs.

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 9:01 am

I’m sure Harper is simply using the Pads as leverage. Would be shocked if he signed with them.

25. Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 8:49 am

even if you just look at his football *accomplishments* I think he gets way too much credit for the 5 wins. The last 2 alone were because 1) Carroll went insane down on the goal line and 2) Shanahan became an enormous pussy in the second half. Either of those 2 coaches don’t choke like that and he’s still sitting at 3.

• willedav said, on February 2, 2019 at 9:03 am

happy sailing Big Guy. “too much credit for the 5 wins.” No one does it by themselves, agree. But QB always gets credit/blame, fair or not. Namath was all the rage in NY his D was real star.

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 9:08 am

actually I think Joe gets the proper amount of credit for his 4. They don’t win all 4 without his heroics. Brady had to hope for a FG first, right? And then the last 2, again, he was sitting on the sidelines while the coaches choked the game away….2 weeks ago? KC defense were dead men walkin’ on that OT drive–although I do give him credit for making the plays on that drive

26. Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 9:20 am

i certainly recognize why Brady has fans and I do appreciate his longevity. I just think he gets way too much credit for the 5 rings and he’s kind of a douchbag to boot. And we have 3-5 more years of this shit because he’s never going to retire if he wins tomorrow.

27. djloo27 said, on February 2, 2019 at 10:31 am

My favorite Brady was Marcia…

28. snarkk said, on February 2, 2019 at 11:16 am

I’d like to see Goff do well in the SB.
    Unlike Rogers, at least Goff will give a shout out to Cal, he’ll be a good spokesman for Cal, win or lose.
    Aaron Rogers has turned into some kind of Dbag — with his family issues, and disses Cal because they fired Tedford — which was not only justified, but overdue…

29. alleykat69 said, on February 2, 2019 at 11:20 am

Bolt ties 40 yard dash NFL combine 4.22 record in sweats&sneakers ..yeah slow news day on the Flap.

30. djloo27 said, on February 2, 2019 at 11:51 am

I don’t care about Brady either way. He deserves a ton of credit for what he’s accomplished with a constantly changing roster. I just can’t relate to someone who appears to have it all. Maybe that’s why I could never warm up to Jeter. I can’t stand “perfect” people. Give me a good “fuck-up” any day…

• snarkk said, on February 2, 2019 at 12:12 pm

Spring training fodder…

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 12:26 pm

i mean, I’m trying to stay positive about moves this dude is making but this shit is like “WTF is this? How does this help short or long term?”

• alleykat69 said, on February 2, 2019 at 12:42 pm

Got that right BF, just stockpiling AAA arms I assume.This chump has had 2 TJ surgeries and still stinks 😷 what’s the point in this sign?

• blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2019 at 12:53 pm

Our starting pitching is so tenuous that he’s simply stockpiling cheap arms in triple A. No way, no how, is he going to sign a 1st line starting pitcher, with the contract commitments we already have.

• snarkk said, on February 2, 2019 at 1:42 pm

We’ll see this season if Boch, on his way out, is still the genius with pitching he’s been or supposed to be. The Pen might as well have a turnstile installed on it…

31. alleykat69 said, on February 2, 2019 at 1:16 pm

Are in quality outfielder as well..

32. djloo27 said, on February 2, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Giants message to fan base:
    Take your 3 titles and STFU…

33. snarkk said, on February 2, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Any CA team seriously looking at Harper is at a disadvantage off the top — 13% CA state income tax rate on high earners, $300M contract in TX has a Padres gross up equivalent of $345M. That’s a material difference, unless the Pads consider $45M over 9 years as not a big deal. Maybe that’s the case…

• djloo27 said, on February 2, 2019 at 1:54 pm

Not sure about this, but don’t you pay tax separately for each state you work in?
      Like on a road trip you pay that state’s tax rate.
      IDK, I heard something like this somewhere…

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 2:02 pm

yes, this is true. Their taxes must be a bitch to do.

• snarkk said, on February 2, 2019 at 2:03 pm

All states have their own rules. Some have special rules for pro athletes, who get taxed on a pro rata time spent in the state basis. But, domicile is key. If Harper met statutory domicile in CA (183 days), all his comp would be subject to CA tax, with some credits given for tax he pays for states with reciprocity. Suffice to say, CA teams are at a tax disadvantage big time vs. no income tax states like AZ, TX, FL. If you play an extra month into post-season, your domicile in home ball park state really gets dicey. Players and their agents pay close attention to how many days they spend in the home ball park state, if that state is not where they live offseason. That’s one reason why these dudes get the hell out of town the day after the season ends. Flying in and spending a long weekend at Fan Fest is costing these dudes tax money – unless the team grosses them up. Buster seems unusual, he’s apparently got a big spread in Orinda, and hangs around the Bay Area a lot. Maybe he doesn’t care about establishing CA domicile…

34. snarkk said, on February 2, 2019 at 3:28 pm

blade, nice talking with you.
    I shot you an email…

• blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2019 at 3:52 pm

Same here Tom . . . I shot you one back.

Flavor and Wilco, I may be activating my DraftKings account again (no idea if they still exist or they are part of the other outfit now, of whom, I forgot their name). Anywho, I might be picking your brains on NBA specifically. More or less up to date on all things baseball (even paid attention in Saigon).

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 4:14 pm

right on. Fire it up. I play mostly at DK but still a little at FD too

• blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:30 pm

Thanks. Fan Duel . . . That’s the one I forgot.

35. Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 4:50 pm

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 4:51 pm

this dude’s career seemed to be trending the wrong way till Zaidi stepped in.

36. zumiee said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:01 pm

Tough break for the national broadcast, no LeBron tonight.

• willedav said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:05 pm

Ha. He said he was pretty burnt after playing 40 minutes in OT win over Clips. And apparently could have played earlier if he felt like it. Meanwhile helps the narrative along that only LB can help Lakers win and that Walton sucks without him if GS blasts them tonite. Guy is insufferable.

37. willedav said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:02 pm

On MLBTR Harper talking to SD thread, lot of interesting stuff. One guy (right up my alley) suggested it was all part of collusion conspiracy. The big spenders pick one unlucky small market team out of a hat to overpay–voila Myers Hosmer and now Harper to the Pads while they get hidden kickback from big shots to help them cover it all.
    And result is the PR that small market teams really do spend money to compete instead of tank.

Part of the Pavs take was that by signing Harper the Pads dump off what would now be a surplus young OF or 2 for SP that helps make them relevant right now, in an admittedly weak division.

38. zumiee said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:19 pm

I bought the new issue of Baseball America. Who’s the big featured prospect on the cover? Keibert Ruiz, a catching prospect for the Dodgers, drafted by Zaidi.
    We get annoyed by this endless parade of talent coming from the Dodger farm system. We have Zaidi now, with the hope he can duplicate that for the Giants. He may or may not be successful in that quest, but it was worth giving him a try, IMO. We should judge Zaidi about 3 years from now.

• blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:28 pm

“We should judge Zaidi about 3 years from now.”

39. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:22 pm

Bozo, lulzing about your 6:45. Yeah, nachos and wings sound preferable to plane crashes…. 🙂

40. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:32 pm

Yeah, Z and his plans and his moves and/or non-moves definitely will need a few years to unfold. The 2019 team might kinda suck, but at least it will be in the context of moving forward longer term, unlike the last couple years of suckitude that just had the feeling of going nowhere but down for the foreseeable future. I won’t really mind if they suck this year as long as they’re a) somewhat entertaining and b) building on something a bit down the line.

41. zumiee said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:36 pm

Top 10 Giants prospects according to Baseball America:
    1. Joey Bart, c
    2. Marco Luciano, ss
    3. Heliot Ramos, of
    4. Shaun Anderson, rhp
    5. Sean Hjelle, rhp
    6. Logan Webb, rhp
    7. Gregory Santos, rhp
    8. Alexander Canario, of
    9. Luis Toribio, 3b
    10. Jake Wong, rhp

• zumiee said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:47 pm

The international players on the list are real young.
      Luciano, 17
      Ramos, 19
      Santos, 19
      Canario, 18
      Toribo, 18

• zumiee said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:52 pm

Anderson was acquired in the Nunez trade.

42. Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:42 pm

Lebron is such a pussy

43. Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:43 pm

I’ve got a buddy who bought tix on stubhub today to take his 7 year old son to see his first NBA game, Lebron is his favorite player. Oops.

• blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:50 pm

Wow! Just a quick and dirty check of Stubhub . . . One ticket left at $140 (and the rest go up from there). Unfrickingbelievable that there’s no explanation for his absence. I wonder how many other 7 year old children got disappointed this evening?

• djloo27 said, on February 2, 2019 at 6:26 pm

Never too young to learn about life’s little disappointments.
        It was very clear to me at age 7 that it’s a cold world out there…

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 8:06 pm

lol, judging from his recent facebook pic posts he’s spent about $500 on merchandise to distract his son from his sadness….

44. zumiee said, on February 2, 2019 at 5:59 pm

It’s looking like Bart and Ramos will start the season for San Jose. A good season to catch some Single A games.

45. zumiee said, on February 2, 2019 at 6:02 pm

Hjelle is 6’11” and will likely start the season in San Jose.

46. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 2, 2019 at 6:49 pm

My first baseball game was when I was around 5, it was early ’60s, I think ’61. My Dad took me into the city to see my idol, The Mick. Unfortunately, Mick had just injured himself, so he wasn’t playing…. perhaps among the early injuries that would eventually end his career. How bummed was I? Very. For about a half hour. There were so many other players to watch, and just the awe of being at Yankee Stadium was enough.

47. willedav said, on February 2, 2019 at 7:12 pm

If LA didn’t have LB, like tonite, they are actually a cool team with some good young players.
    And now starting to hit some shots and getting after GS on D end after rough start.

48. zumiee said, on February 2, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Something I don’t like about Cousins is all the reaching in on defense. Who wants their big center trying to strip the ball for steals? It’s a way to pick up fouls.

49. Flavor said, on February 2, 2019 at 7:52 pm

50. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 2, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Reading Craig’s link to the story about Brandon Beachy-keen, the writer says this: “While the Giants feel good about their big league rotation, they do not have much in terms of starting pitching at the upper levels of the minors.” Uh…. do the Giants really feel good about their big league rotation? Do any Flappers feel good about their big league rotation? They probably won’t be able to do much to improve it, but I’m seriously questioning that anyone feels good about it….

• willedav said, on February 2, 2019 at 8:16 pm

Yes, I do. Bum plus Holland and DRod at top is certainly OK. Add in Pomeranz and a 5 from Suarez Strat etc..

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 2, 2019 at 8:28 pm

Ok…. I’d forgotten about Pomeranz. I’d feel better about it if Cueto was good to go. Suarez might be fine, not sure about the cast of characters of Stratton, Beeduh, Blach et al. Holland I thought was more for long relief and spot starts. Guess we’ll see.

51. zumiee said, on February 2, 2019 at 8:18 pm

Baer is committed to the Giants starting on the road every season. That’s gotten kind of old. First seven games on the road this season.

52. zumiee said, on February 2, 2019 at 10:12 pm

Kings defeat the Sixers! Great win!

53. snarkk said, on February 2, 2019 at 10:21 pm

If the Giants feel good about their starting rotation then they must be pounding Fentanyl…

54. mrsprtdude said, on February 2, 2019 at 11:05 pm

Same as Chiefs game…. Mahomes / Reid at home vs B & B? You know what happened
    Now Mckay and Goff vs B& B? Goff is not a Superbowl winner. Unless Donald is the MVP Pats win..

• Flavor said, on February 3, 2019 at 7:00 am

this could definitely happen. So far, it doesn’t matter how good the pass rush is, Brady dumps it off to White so fast you’d need to be the speed of light to get there in time to smash him.