Not Happening

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 11, 2019

So now it comes out that the Giants are only interested in Harper if it’s a short term deal. See? Total waste of time. This was just done as a PR stunt for the fans and probably the players, too. Harper ain’t signing no 2 year deal.

This guy cares about 2 things: 1) a monster deal (otherwise you don’t hire Boras) and 2) climbing the HR ladder (something that he won’t do at Oracle unless they move the fences in. This dude ain’t no Bonds).

So Baer gets to keep waving the phony pom poms and Zaidi gets to keep saying “I’m still in a meet and greet mode.” Utter horseshit and the fans continue to get played like rookies…

1. willedav said, on February 11, 2019 at 8:09 am

Disagree. by now it should be obvious, neither he nor Machado are getting 10 yr/$300 mil+ deals. It’s NOT happening. If they want to play baseball they will have to take shorter deal. My guess would be no more than 6 yrs with varying opt outs. Doable for SF; Z shouldn’t give up on this.
    I think biggest issue for Harper is finding an org with mgmt. he trusts and guys he wants to be around, in other words total opposite of the Nats. He is from Cal, so maybe heat and humidity of east coast isn’t to his liking either.
    Plus maybe Boras brings Marwin Gonzalez to the table with him too.

• gianthead said, on February 11, 2019 at 8:59 am

Well Haprer does have a 10 year $300 mill on the table with the Nats. He is obviously not interested and I have commented here before that Harper has not been a presence at all in the DC area as a community presence. He is a man unto himself…probably much like Bonds in personality. Ovechkin is the superstar here and he has grabbed that mantle. Harper has no interest. I think he views himself as an outsider and maybe that is what SF stand south for him as maybe a location/culture much closer to his personality/tastes. Plus it has got to get old playing in the summer heat and humidity here. Has to be oppressive on a player…

• gianthead said, on February 11, 2019 at 9:00 am

Should read: SF stands out

2. willedav said, on February 11, 2019 at 8:23 am

A’s signed Hundley to minor league deal. Should be able make the team over there. Good guy while he was here tho I can see why Zaidi decided 35 yr old backup unnecessary.

• Bozo said, on February 11, 2019 at 9:22 am

And then the Giants signed 34 yr old Stephen Vogt to a minor league contract. It seems like Zaidi loves signing ex Dodgers and As.

• xoot said, on February 11, 2019 at 9:35 am

Yeah. There’s something strange and unsettling about that habit, as if he’s thinking, well, we’re gonna tank this year no matter what, so who do I know who can fill in while I try to figure out who to hire as GM . . . . and which players to go after next winter.

3. gianthead said, on February 11, 2019 at 8:49 am

Last week when news emerged that brass had met with Harper I thought what would work for both sides is a 2 year year $35-$40 mill per year. He gets the highest yearly salary and then the ability to get a much longer term deal while still 29 and the chance to pursue a team that may be in a more competitive position in 2 years. 2 year deal is great for us and think would be acceptable to Harper’s camp. Maybe add in a player option with a sub $30 mill year option since we are over-paying up front in the first 2 years…

• gianthead said, on February 11, 2019 at 9:06 am

Other thought is a 3-year deal at $35 mill each and then a 5 year option at $27.5 mill each. The full value would be just over $240 mill over 8 years so he is basically at that $30 mill year average and gets to claim highest annual salary in the game…

4. blade3colorado said, on February 11, 2019 at 9:13 am

Agree with Flav, this is a total waste of time thinking he might sign here. He’s not going to sign a short term deal, MUCH LESS a short term deal with SF, a place where bombs go to die. See his spray chart for bombs . . . seems like quite a few go to left center (Oracle’s graveyard). In my opinion, this is all Baer hype, with him pulling our collective chain.

If he signs any short term deal (very doubtful to me), it will be to a place which will enhance his statistics, whereby he has another chance at a long term deal. Again, I doubt it – he’s 26 right now – this is a “sweet spot” for Boras and him to strike a mega deal while the iron is hot.

5. Flavor said, on February 11, 2019 at 9:42 am

There is some question whether 10/300 was EVER actually on the table from Wash. Personally, I don’t believe it was, nobody from Wash ever confirmed that.

• gianthead said, on February 11, 2019 at 10:37 am

No one has seen any written offer but because of the Nats fans and his presence for the team and fans and there was indeed an offer made at the end if the season, I would bet my right testicle that the Nats put $300 mill on the table. There was no reason for them not to. Would be a huge black eye for the team here not to bring him back or look like they didnt do everything they could do to bring him back. And there is not many long-term contract commitments for the Nats, would not make any sense for them not to have made that offer.

I’ve been here 26 years this summer and these DC sports fans are completely bed-wetting bandwagoners. Redksins still dominate the sports chatter here year in and year out and what was once a multi-year waiting list for season tickets for the Redskins, now they cant sell a game out and now want to build a new stadium even though the existing one is just 20 years old. If Harper leaves and the Nats flounder, fans will stay away…

• blade3colorado said, on February 11, 2019 at 11:13 am

GH, do you agree that the Nats (even without Harper’s signature on a contract), have had a successful off season? Just my take and admittedly, you probably know better than I, if Soto continues to bloom and the Nats win the Division, Harper will be forgotten.

• gianthead said, on February 11, 2019 at 12:11 pm

If they cant bring Harper back, I do not think they can view it as a succesful off season. They will have an immediate decline in attendance without Harper. Can their pitching keep them in a division hunt without Harper anchoring the lineup???? Maybe. But they are loaded with young players. Does a veteran rotation with an inexperience lineup produce a pennant winner? I dont think so. Still think Phillies win the division…when news broke of Guants meeting with Harper last week, all if my Nats fan friends here reacted with horror army the prospect of Harper landing in SF…

6. alleykat69 said, on February 11, 2019 at 10:11 am

The usual smoke&mirrors with the Giants as far as Harper,Farhan Zaidi just wanted to excite the fans( not (Flapper experts) for lamefest to talk about. Like I’ve said Big fat Zero chance of signing him..

7. Macdog said, on February 11, 2019 at 10:21 am

Speaking of the A’s . . .

• gianthead said, on February 11, 2019 at 10:47 am

As an A’s hater, this is hilarious…

8. alleykat69 said, on February 11, 2019 at 10:57 am

Yeah the A’s totally screwed themselves now, Murray has to give them their 4 mil back, but they get a comp pick back for this, although the still will retain his rights..

9. alleykat69 said, on February 11, 2019 at 11:09 am

Kareem Hunt signs with the Browns..that is all I have.,

10. blade3colorado said, on February 11, 2019 at 12:11 pm

Commissioner has his head buried in the sand, especially about attendance declines (consecutive 3rd year in decline and lowest since 2003) and revenue sharing:

“We’re hopeful that we see a rebound from last year, but, again, difficult to predict at this point,” he said.

He said he doesn’t think the operation of the free-agent market was an issue affecting ticket sales.

“I do think that negative commentary surrounding the game that is not factually supported can have an impact on attendance — assertions about clubs not trying to win and the like, I think that’s not helpful,” he said.”

Huh?

More BS here . . . http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25952976/no-designated-hitter-draft-changes-likely-mlb-season

11. alleykat69 said, on February 11, 2019 at 1:21 pm

I’ll say this if we had Joe Lacob as majority shareholder instead of Charles Johnson, Bryce Harper would be a Giant right now! This bunch with Baer are clueless.Hes not signing a 2-3 gig at 26. Like Jerry Maguire..Show me the money 💰!!

12. Bozo said, on February 11, 2019 at 1:51 pm

This probably doesn’t mean fuck all, but right now Betonline has the Giants as favorites to sign Harper (even odds).

13. zumiee said, on February 11, 2019 at 3:20 pm

From KNBR on Facebook:

A day after dropping a report that the San Francisco Giants are planning on offering Bryce Harper a “lucrative short-term” deal, Bob Nightengale of USA Today hopped on with Gary & Larry to discuss specifics.

“The Giants don’t want to give a 10-year contract,” Nightengale began. “Nobody does, but the Giants certainly don’t want to. You’re not going to saddle a brand new executive in Farhan Zaidi and say ‘here you’ve got a $300 million contract on the books, you can’t do much with it otherwise.’

“What their game plan is is they’ll probably offer a 5-6 year deal at good money. Probably $30 million a year or so, or probably more even, to try to get him. And say, ‘You know what, do you want a short-term contract to come to San Francisco, or do you want a long-term contract and go to Philadelphia.’”

Harper was reportedly offered a 10-year, $300 million deal from the Nationals at the beginning of the offseason that he turned down. According to Nightengale, the Nationals have fallen out of the sweepstakes for Harper. So have the Los Angeles Dodgers.

“They are definitely out of it,” Nightengale said.

“Right now I really do think it’s the Giants and the Phillies. It’s a two-team race here.”

Nightengale also broke down why Harper is enticed by the Giants.

“The big thing I think is proximity. I think the fact that it’s an iconic franchise, you’ve got 40,000 fans a game, always electricity and buzz there. And you can be the face of the franchise, and you can be the modern day Barry Bonds. Bonds meant so much to the Giants back then, and (Harper) wants to be that guy now. So I think a lot of things.

“I think the tradition of the organization and the fact that he’s never won a playoff round, and this franchise won three World Series in five years.”

All things considered, Nightengale believes it’s a coin-flip between the Giants and Phillies when it comes to predicting who gets Harper.

“With the Giants moving in and all the optimism, I do believe it’s a coin flip. I think for the Phillies to get Harper, they’re going to have to grossly outbid the Giants to get him, I really do. I think if it’s close he goes to San Francisco, if there’s a huge gap, it’s tough to walk away from that kind of money.”

• zumiee said, on February 11, 2019 at 4:14 pm

OK, I move up the Giants’ chances of signing him to 10%.

14. djloo27 said, on February 11, 2019 at 4:19 pm

Can anybody make some sense out of that spray chart Blade posted up above?
    I can’t…

• Macdog said, on February 11, 2019 at 4:35 pm

He doesn’t hit many triples?

• djloo27 said, on February 11, 2019 at 4:51 pm

Mac does it again! Exactly ZERO triples in 2018.
        He had 9 as a rookie followed by a TOTAL of 9 in the past 6 years…

• djloo27 said, on February 11, 2019 at 4:56 pm

It’s an odd stat – makes you wonder about his hustle, which is very often a factor in triples.
        I only want him because it would make SanDawg happy…

15. unca_chuck said, on February 11, 2019 at 5:31 pm

Hah! No one else has triples alley tho. I’m sure he’d get a couple. 34 hrs is >>>>> than 0 triples.

Fuck, I don’t know. If we can get him for a 5 year deal, why not? 10 years? The owners have killed those.

16. unca_chuck said, on February 11, 2019 at 5:32 pm

Our entire outfield combined in the last 3 seasons hasn’t hit 34 homers. I think Gorkys ius the leader at 10 least year.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 11, 2019 at 6:58 pm

That’s a rather stunning statistic….

• Bozo said, on February 11, 2019 at 7:02 pm

McCutchen had 15 before he was traded last year.

17. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 11, 2019 at 6:41 pm

From a distance, Harper has always seemed to me a bit of an idiot, but I really don’t know much about the guy as a person. Who knows how important the money is to him? (I’m guessing, a lot). There are players like MadBum (and others) who play where they want to and say “how much money do you really need?”, and there are players like Greinke who clearly stated they would go for the most money. Harper’s relatively younger age, as Flappers have said, is a big reason to get him, and it’s also a possible reason he *might* take a shorter-term contract and still be young enough to get another big contract later. Ya’ll are right, this is probably all just PR, but if Z does manage to land the guy, that changes everything…

18. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 11, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Two examples of *old* Giants still ticking: Romo gets a contract offer from the Jays (good for him)… and Bochy is asked if this is his last year and he says “We’ll see” (not good for anybody). I’ll be surprised if Bochy lasts the length of the season.

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 11, 2019 at 8:07 pm

• zumiee said, on February 11, 2019 at 10:25 pm

They used to allow photographers on the field during play. It made for great photos in those days.

• zumiee said, on February 11, 2019 at 10:28 pm

Allowed photographers in foul territory, I should say.

• djloo27 said, on February 12, 2019 at 3:45 am

Great, something else for Mac to run into…

20. mrsprtdude said, on February 12, 2019 at 6:57 am

Hundley signed a minor league deal. WTF??? If he could be had for that why the hell didn’t we sign him???

Say Something....

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s