P and C

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 12, 2019

Pitchers and catchers report today. Man, this used to be a day circled on the calendar, right? Now, it’s just a day.

On KNBR this morning they were debating who are starting 5 will be. After Bumgarner it got very difficult for the hosts to assign #’s.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, the team is assembling in Arizona right now….

1. sandog said, on February 12, 2019 at 7:41 am

Nightengale actually has the Giants as a front runner for Harper??? Unbelievable. That fires me up big time.
    Blows me away that we aren’t all in lockstop begging for this guy to sign with the Giants.
    Baer needs to pull rank on Zaidi to make this happen and then let the Z man play around in the corner with his platoons, and dumpster dives, and guys who can pitch with both hands to fill out the rest of the roster.

• Bozo said, on February 12, 2019 at 7:52 am

Brilliant post. I agree 100%.

• blade3colorado said, on February 12, 2019 at 7:52 am

I’ve read the same thing Peter . . . A tip of my hat to you for thinking this would not be far fetched. You kept the faith and just about all sports media are now saying that we are front runners. That’s not all though – I’m going to bow at your altar if this actually comes true.

I only disagree that Zaidi wouldn’t be on board, i.e., I do think all things considered, Harper’s age of 26, coupled with his out of this world potential, means that he is a centerpiece to build around. Consequently, I do think Zaidi would enthusiastically support this. In any event, I’m looking forward to this coming to a close, so we know what’s what going forward.

• sfsarge said, on February 12, 2019 at 12:44 pm

I’m starting to come around on this. I’m kinda hoping it happens now.

2. Bozo said, on February 12, 2019 at 7:48 am

Our new MLB scribe, Maria Guardado, has our starters in this order –
    LHP Madison Bumgarner
    LHP Derek Holland
    RHP Jeff Samardzija
    RHP Dereck Rodriguez
    LHP Drew Pomeranz
    with Andrew Suarez, Tyler Beede, Ty Blach, Chris Stratton and Shaun Anderson as additional rotation options during the season.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 12, 2019 at 8:05 am

I heard that segment too and sort of felt bad for Ty Blach who didn’t even get a mention. Switching our Vogt for Hundley tell Krukow the club is in “win now” mode. lulz.

4. xoot said, on February 12, 2019 at 8:36 am

The Athletic has added a fantasy baseball feature. It’s also added Grant Brisbee, on the Giants, and far as I can see it’s deteriorating in several other areas, too, as it expands. Or spreads. But Lockhard’s still on the job; and Baggarly still publishes there:

“Maybe the Giants shock the industry and get Bryce Harper to ignore their recent franchise struggles, the California taxes, their reported preference for a shorter contract and their 421-foot power alley in right-center that requires a $12 Uber ride plus a majestic launch angle to clear. Or given all of the above, maybe it’s more likely they come up short on Harper and their fallback plan becomes the twin gallons of human spackle who answer to the names Marwin González and Josh Harrison.

“Point is, the Giants are going to sign another player or two. It seems like a waste of my time, and yours, to speculate on who those players will be. . . .”

5. alleykat69 said, on February 12, 2019 at 8:49 am

I don’t see Rodriguez as a #4 starter he should follow Bum as the #2 starter he’s earned it!

• blade3colorado said, on February 12, 2019 at 9:06 am

I agree AK that he’s earned it, but Bozo’s post is spot on based on multiple articles (at least 4 I’ve read), where both Rodriguez and Saurez are going to have sophomore issues going forward. Essentially, this is based on analysis of their “Saber” numbers last season. I hope not though . . .

6. willedav said, on February 12, 2019 at 9:54 am

Good hitters adjust to the yard. Pulling the ball at Oracle, whether you are LH or RH is shortest distance for a bomb. Down the line in RF is not much more than 310 iirc. Hey if guys like Panik and Hanson can do it so can Harper. Aubrey Huff hit 26 HRs as LH and Harper I’m sure counts himself as better hitter than that
    Hope SF offers him some $$$ incentives, like hit 30 HRs or have 600 PAs and play as many games as possible.

7. willedav said, on February 12, 2019 at 10:00 am

Aubrey Huff numbers from 2010:
    .290/.385/.506 for .891 OPS

26 HRs 5 triples 35 doubles for 66 XBH
    at home 12 bombs 30 XBH

tell Harper he beats those he gets extra couple mil

8. alleykat69 said, on February 12, 2019 at 11:03 am

Huff really did put up great numbers in 2010, I personally thought he carried that team especially in the 1st half of the season with clutch bombs game winning hits, should of been a A/S participent imo..

• willedav said, on February 12, 2019 at 11:58 am

yeah and like uribe and burrell no one wanted him. Tampa let Burrell go in mid May, Giants signed him and he hit 18 bombs in 340 ABs, .872 OPS.

9. willedav said, on February 12, 2019 at 12:07 pm

Chron mentioned something about Mac I sure didn’t remember—it was Harper that hit the foul ball he was chasing April 24 when he got hurt.
    And to file under Joy of Spring, here’s his take: “Obviously Bryce is a tremendous player. If we’re able to get him he’s going to help the team win games…From a personal perspective I think I and Duggar and Shaw and Slater bring a lot more to the table than people realize.”

• xoot said, on February 12, 2019 at 12:28 pm

Duggar’s injury prone. Bum’s probably not an ace now. Pudge Jr.? We’ll see. Not since 2008 have we seen a Feb. roster this weak and/or suspect.

10. snarkk said, on February 12, 2019 at 12:22 pm

ZMan is at work.
    Gerardo Parra just signed to a minor league make good deal.
    (Un)fortunately, he’s now arguably the best Giants outfielder.
    He’s 31, but is at least maybe a little progress towards OFer competitiveness.
    I still believe this Harper stuff is a bunch of PR foolishness. Stanton redux…

• sandog said, on February 12, 2019 at 2:00 pm

I like the dumpster dive philosophy, but why another lefty? I don’t want any left hand hitters not named Bryce Harper.

• snarkk said, on February 12, 2019 at 2:16 pm

17 doubles in 401 ABs last year with Rox.
        OPS of .714.
        He’s not exactly star material, but he’s decent, and has a +arm in the OF.
        ZMan will take time to systematically dump crap talent and replace with a little less crappy to better talent.
        Oshit being DFA’d another case in point…

11. Macdog said, on February 12, 2019 at 2:03 pm

More moves.

12. zumiee said, on February 12, 2019 at 2:37 pm

OK, I’m going to take the bold move of increasing Harper’s chances of signing with the Giants up to 15%. I feel kind of wild and out of control moving it up that high, though.

13. mrsprtdude said, on February 12, 2019 at 2:53 pm

Hundley signed a minor league deal. WTF??? If he could be had for that why the hell didn’t we sign him???

Can someone explain how he could be had for a minor league deal? And since he signed one, then what possible reason would there be that we not be the ones to do it?

• blade3colorado said, on February 12, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Hundley hit .241/.298/.408 with 10 homers in 305 plate appearances. Defensively, this is what I read – “his framing work last year graded out near the bottom of the league, but he was roughly average a year prior. Similarly, Hundley’s caught-stealing rate dipped to a below-average 21 percent in 2018, but he was a bit above the league mean at 29 percent in 2017. He’s generally drawn average or better marks in terms of blocking pitches in the dirt.”

• djloo27 said, on February 12, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Blade, are you in touch with your Bronx roomie, Chi?
        And where the hell is the under appreciated, Lurker John?

14. blade3colorado said, on February 12, 2019 at 3:36 pm

Last I spoke with him was about 2 weeks ago regarding the spring training trip with snarkk . . . This was his response:

“Thanks for reaching out. I had plans to go with both of my kids this year (typically just me and my daughter), but just too many other things going on.

Sucks, as my daughter’s old boyfriend was hired as the pitching instructor for the Brewers this year and he said he would hook us up with tickets.

I’ll be back to the Flap. Miss the fellas…I just lose steam for spending a lot of time there in the off-season.”

• djloo27 said, on February 12, 2019 at 4:22 pm

Thanks, Blade.
      It takes about 10 seconds to feel like Chi has been your pal for years.
      LJ is a super solid poster who really knows his stuff.
      Hope they both return soon…

• blade3colorado said, on February 12, 2019 at 5:05 pm

De nada Loo 🙂 . . . Yeah, agree that LJ knows his stuff (albeit, I disagree with his politics. Ha.).

• djloo27 said, on February 12, 2019 at 6:10 pm

Lurker John and Twin would’ve been interesting reading…

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 12, 2019 at 3:50 pm

Who give a shit about Hundley? That dude taking up roster space was indicative of how Sabean lost his dumpster diving edge. Instead of guys like Uribe/Burrell/Blanco/Petit, who had actually won with other clubs or had starter level talent they brought in Hundley who’s only trip to the post season was with Baltimore in 2014. Good guy, future in broadcasting, Willie-Mac award winner, yadda, yadda. Best of luck to him, I guess.

• snarkk said, on February 12, 2019 at 6:29 pm

A big reason Hundley was brought in was that he and Melancon were big Buds from college.
      With Melancon a certifed Bust, and a new FO leader who finally doesn’t much like old talent, Hundley was a fair to poor defensive piece of surplus baggage …

16. pawliekokonuts said, on February 12, 2019 at 4:04 pm

I’m with sfsarge (coming around), and Magnus, the other day: If we get Bryce, fine. If not, fine. I feel so zen-like. I suggest that those who say we are frontrunners (Nightengale) consider that another source (Bowtierosenthal?) says Bryce wouldn’t even consider a short-term deal. So what is short or long? Yes, all men delude themselves. How about a 4-year deal with huge bucks and huge options?

17. pawliekokonuts said, on February 12, 2019 at 4:07 pm

That Russian video the other day was funny because the dude who could not get his shirt on was not acting. He must have been SPECTACULARLY hung over. Quentin Tarantino or Martin Scorcese could not have filmed a funnier seen.

18. gianthead said, on February 12, 2019 at 5:17 pm

San Dog must have been on cloud 9 for the last 48 hours…

• djloo27 said, on February 12, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Cloud nine, you can be what you wanna be
      Cloud nine, you ain’t got no responsibility
      And ev’ry man, ev’ry man is free
      Cloud nine, you’re a million miles from reality…

• willedav said, on February 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm

I’m doing fine
        On cloud nine

Great tune

• blade3colorado said, on February 13, 2019 at 7:50 am

This and Ball of Confusion are my favorite Temptation tunes.

19. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 12, 2019 at 7:48 pm

I also remember just before the 2012 World Series, Nightengale ragged on the Giants and picked Detroit to win it 4 games to 1 …..

20. willedav said, on February 12, 2019 at 8:11 pm

Lakers lost to the Hawks tonite not good look. LB with triple double 16 assists so you know who had the ball most of the night.
    LA now 1-4 in Feb overall 28-29. Not good.

21. willedav said, on February 12, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Since neither James nor Magic are going anywhere, Coach Walton will take the rap for this.
    Always had soft spot for Utah Jazz, going back to Darrell Griffith Adrian Dantley Ricky Green days. KInda funny GS giving away Baron Davis bobblehead with them in town–already heard the replay of his poster dunk over Kirilenko.