Eye of the Tiger

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 14, 2019

Zumiee had a great line last night that really drove home one of the problems with the Giants over the last few years:

He said, “This whole Giants organization is like Mick in the Rocky movie needing to help Rocky get back the eye of the tiger.”

And he’s right. Everyone loves to point to how *professional* the Giants players are. How there is a “Giants Way.” That worked during the *salad days* but for the last few years “The Giants Way” has been nothing more than players striving in vain to live above the smell of their own shit.

Now, getting back *the eye of the tiger* certainly isn’t going to fix this team. Most of these fellas are past their prime and even recapturing that *eye* ain’t gonna do shit. But a return of that attitude would be nice to see and maybe something the future new guys can build on…..

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 14, 2019 at 8:08 am

I was digging Zum’s Eye of The Tiger analogy. Minor quibble in that I’m pretty sure it was Apollo pushing Rock to get back the Eye of The Tiger

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2019 at 8:46 am

the most awkward embrace of all time, Nice find

2. Flavor said, on February 14, 2019 at 8:45 am

Twin used to live here.

3. Flavor said, on February 14, 2019 at 8:55 am

by the way Loo, that’s a great point. Part of Rock losing his EOTT had to do with losing Mick. That, and living in that boujee house….

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 8:59 am

You mean Dirt.

4. zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 8:56 am

The Giants need to find out this season who among the group: Slater/Duggar/Shaw/Williamson is part of the Giants’ future. That may not seem like ‘trying to win,’ right now; but in the bigger picture, it is about building a winner, and getting back to contending for the playoffs on a regular basis, IMO.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 14, 2019 at 8:59 am

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 14, 2019 at 9:11 am

Agree with you there Zum. I think Shaw and Williamson could provide solid coverage in the OF. I like Duggar too but something about him dislocating his shoulder scrambling back to 2b untouched struck me as odd. I think he’ll have a hard time staying healthy which was the case in the minors for him. Slater is a solid bench player imo.

7. snarkk said, on February 14, 2019 at 9:24 am

I saw the first Rocky a coupla times.
    Liked it.
    Saw none of the sequels.
    Did I miss anything?…

• willedav said, on February 14, 2019 at 9:29 am

ha you saw more than I did. The most recent one was supposed to be pretty good with Rock as mentor to the kid.

• wilcojoe said, on February 14, 2019 at 9:39 am

My two boys (10 and 7) love watching the Rocky movies. They actually act out the fights, where one is Rocky and the other is either Apollo, Mr. T,the Russian, etc…I pretend to be the announcer, ala what’s his face , the “Let’s get ready to rumble” guy…Quite honestly the first four movies were very enjoyable. Not Oscar material mind you, but good, clean fun. The last two Rocky movies were garbage but the Creed movies were pretty good. They did kill off Burt Young’s character before the Creed movies began, so that ticked me off.

8. willedav said, on February 14, 2019 at 9:27 am

Couple things about Parra. One, he can play CF unlike the other young guys not named Duggar. Two, he has hit well at Giants home park, .310 career BA. Schulman says he will be on roster too. Minor league signing was just a technicality due to 40 man being full and “he is expected to be on the team.” Other than Hanson dunno who else would play CF. Just say no to Cameron Maybin.

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 9:39 am

I would think that Hanson is a Zaidi kind of guy, a bench guy that can play infield and outfield, and has some pop in his bat. Hanson just needs to keep showing some improvement. Hopefully he took thousands of ground balls in the off-season. Does he have a strong commitment to getting better?

9. willedav said, on February 14, 2019 at 9:40 am

Read an interesting sports book called “Tigerland” set in Columbus Ohio 1968/69. Tells story of Columbus East HS an all black school that won basketball and baseball state championships in same school year. One of best players was Ed Ratleff who played for Long Beach St and was also top pitcher. Other one was Dwight (Bo) Lamar who played at SW Louisiana before NBA. One other player went to Illinois and played with Nick Weatherspoon who was on rival Ohio HS team.

Lamar had attended a different HS where the coach was not going to let him play until he shaved off his Afro.
    Those who lived in other neighborhood and knew how good he was from playground convinced his Mom to move so Lamar could play for East High. Book goes into life in ’60s for black families and athletes, many of whom led by single moms who often had migrated north in search of better and safer life.

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 9:56 am

Great review, Willie; thanks! I haven’t read a sports-related book in a while. I got deep into the Trump/Russia books, and then transitioned to books about fascism and totalitarianism, in general. Madeleine Albright’s book “Fascism: A Warning,” is a terrific book, every page has interesting insights, and written in a very engaging and readable style. “The Road To Unfreedom,” by Timothy Snyder is also a great one. I feel like I learned a lot. I’m currently reading Orwell’s “Animal Farm.” I think I ‘m “getting” that book in a deeper way now. Orwell was so great. His writing just cuts through the B.S.

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 10:05 am

There’s a great animated film version of Animal Farm that I saw in high school, shown to us with grave seriousness by history teachers who were military veterans, a lot of whom are probably Trump supporters now, so how’s that for irony?

• willedav said, on February 14, 2019 at 12:17 pm

Zum, Tigerland dragged a bit; the basketball scenes of individual games, where the outcome is already known were tough to get through. But the other stuff about School Principal, life in Columbus, politics of the day (MLK murder etc.) and of course Ohio St (which wouldn’t recruit black players right on their doorstep) were fascinating. At the end was a big surprise==author goes over how the lives of lot of the boys wound up. And of course the context of conservative Ohio, Kent St. shootings happened next spring 1970. Tough times.

10. zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 9:43 am

I thought the first three Rocky movies were good; but number four seemed to jump the shark, and I didn’t see the rest.

11. willedav said, on February 14, 2019 at 9:49 am

I do get the grief over Parra being another LH bat though. This in addition to Belt Panik Crawford and Duggar, plus Shaw.
    Pablo and Hanson are also way better LH than RH. Part of the problem with Hanson, who could replace some of the others vs. tough LHP if he could improve RH splits.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 14, 2019 at 10:02 am

The original Rocky movie was the best imo. People forget that it won an Academy Award for Best Picture. Sort of hard to believe that it beat out Taxi Driver. Both pics portrayed real poverty in America in a way that I don’t think it has been since until maybe Rourke’s movie The Wrestler in ’08.

• Macdog said, on February 14, 2019 at 11:22 am

All the President’s Men and Network were two other really good ones that Rocky beat out that year.

13. zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 11:20 am

No confirmation on a Harper signing by the Nats.

• sandog said, on February 14, 2019 at 11:57 am

So you’re saying there’s a chance….

14. sandog said, on February 14, 2019 at 12:21 pm

I thought Rocky was good and that was one of the movies from my era that I enjoyed showing my kids. They thought it was pretty good. I thinked they liked The Warriors better, but that’s totally understandable as The Warriors is arguably the greatest movie of all time.
    Rocky 2 holds a special place in my heart as I think it is the only movie I ever saw at the theatre with my dad—just he and I with none of my other siblings there. He wasn’t a big movie guy, my dad. And neither am I for that matter.

15. alleykat69 said, on February 14, 2019 at 3:57 pm

How about Golfer Matt Kuchar, he is getting hammered and rightfully so by media everywhere for stiffing his caddie of atleast the normal 10% of a caddie’s fee after he won a tournament that paid him 1

16. alleykat69 said, on February 14, 2019 at 4:03 pm

Shit quick post again!!
    Any way Kuchar won a tournament worth 1.3 mil and he paid the guy 5 grand!!
    What a freakin cheapskate!
    Then he sticks his foot in his mouth more by saying,w

• sandog said, on February 14, 2019 at 4:10 pm

That was super lame and I’ve always been a Kuchar fan.

17. djloo27 said, on February 14, 2019 at 4:04 pm

Zumie was absolutely on fire last night.
    Not a fan of the Rocky movies.
    Found them rather hokey and platitudinous.
    I’m ashamed to admit that I haven’t seen The Warriors…

• Macdog said, on February 14, 2019 at 7:53 pm

Their next game on national TV is Feb. 23 on ABC.

18. alleykat69 said, on February 14, 2019 at 4:11 pm

Jesus Christ I can’t type this stuff out!
    Kuchar said well the guy only makes 200 bucks for a week so this should make him happy!
    10% of winning that tournament should of have that caddie atleast 13,000 bucks!
    Fans are going to start calling him Douche instead of Kuch from now on.

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 14, 2019 at 4:18 pm

20. alleykat69 said, on February 14, 2019 at 4:18 pm

Tolbert&Lund was talking about setting up a Go Fund Me account for the caddie lol 😂 which would bank a lot of dough for that guy I would assume..

21. djloo27 said, on February 14, 2019 at 4:31 pm

When I was about 15, I hung out in the bar on the corner and I would run bets to the OTB a few blocks away for the old guys. My idol there was a blind traffic cop (retired) and one day he hit a triple for 3 grand.
    He gave me a lousy 20 bucks. One of my great disappointments in life…

22. zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 6:08 pm

One of the things that helped the first Rocky film become so popular was the great soundtrack music composed by Bill Conti. He’s had a great career composing soundtracks. It’s impossible to imagine that movie without that memorable music.
    The movie came out of nowhere. Stallone created a phenomenon from scratch. In an era before big media, the movie became a big hit from good old fashioned word of mouth.

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 6:11 pm

I could get all esoteric and make a claim that in a post-Vietnam War, post-Watergate era, the film touched a national pride that was fizzling.

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 6:18 pm

And the film had a very sweet romantic subplot that gave it an extra level of depth. The film would probably seem kind of slow to a lot of today’s younger viewers.

23. zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 6:51 pm

From Pavlovic:
    “Heard the Giants have interest in Yangervis Solarte. Had a down year with Blue Jays, but he’s versatile and they’re still looking for infield depth.”

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Sure, he’s fine. Has some RH pop, bring him aboard.

24. Flavor said, on February 14, 2019 at 6:58 pm

That smiling Fuck Kooch is up a creek on this one. You cannot unring a bell, my grand pappy taught me that…..

25. Flavor said, on February 14, 2019 at 7:00 pm

KNBR guys this morning were talking about athletes who don’t tip—said Scottie Pippin is known in Vegas as “No Tippin’ Pippin” that one had me lqtm

26. snarkk said, on February 14, 2019 at 7:46 pm

I just read some articles on this Matt Kuchar thing.
    Dude is clueless. What a Dbag.
    Only $5K for looping on a full tourney where he won $1.3 million?
    I know more than a bit about golf, and that is flat ridiculous, no matter the guy wasn’t his regular tour caddy.
    Kuchar doubled down multiple times thereafter, saying in various ways he saw nothing wrong with it.
    This dude deserves serious shunning.
    US pro golfers are not known for their world views, nor generosity. Lots of ’em are me me me prix, and this guy looks like he’s currently leading that pack…

27. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 14, 2019 at 7:58 pm

I know some Flappers have expressed in the past a bit of fatigue with MadBum’s red-ass-ery sometimes on the mound with his stare-downs, etc. But talking about eye of the tiger, etc., I hope he (and Buster too, they are the default royalty and leaders of this team) bring a bit of… shall we say *energy* to the field this year to keep this team jumping and going all out. I’ve never seen MadBum in person up close, only on the ballfield… saw one ST video of him sauntering toward the clubhouse and he looked like one menacing dude I would not want to fuck with. Bring it, dude. Stay off the dirt bike, focus on winning, and just bring it… time for him and Buster to lead by example. The players aren’t going to get much motivation from Bochy, so it might as well come from our 2 southern boys (who also have 6 rings between them)….

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 8:11 pm

We love Bochy, and he’s a slam dunk Hall of Famer, but this is probably a season Bochy will just kind of glide through, get the $6 million for the season, then either retire or take a fake front-office position, like Baker, Evans, and Sabean.

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 8:13 pm

Which of those guys will get caught sleeping under their desk like George Costanza?

28. Macdog said, on February 14, 2019 at 8:00 pm

I always liked Rocky and Bullwinkle.

• willedav said, on February 14, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Tremendous show thx Mac.
      Hey how about Monmouth leading league now. At Rider this weekend?

• Macdog said, on February 14, 2019 at 8:48 pm

Yep, big game at the Broncs Zoo tomorrow.

29. zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 8:02 pm

Bart is #41 on FanGraphs top prospects chart.
    Vlad, Jr. is #1.
    Jr. is real chunky compared to his dad. He’ll need to be careful about his weight.

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 8:05 pm

Bart at #41 while still in Single A is impressive.

30. zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 9:34 pm

From Schulman:
    “The Giants managed to complete a full workout around a rainstorm Thursday. One highlight was Aramis Garcia’s batting practice. The catcher crushed pitch after pitch with a slight uppercut he apparently developed over the winter.”

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 9:35 pm

Schulman:
      “Add reliever Reyes Moronta to the list of players who have arrived in camp in the best shape of their lives. Moronta said he lost about 15 pounds over the winter. He was listed at 241 in the 2018 media guide.”

• snarkk said, on February 14, 2019 at 10:20 pm

Isn’t this line repeated every ST by some beat writer about some Giant player(s)?…

• zumiee said, on February 15, 2019 at 12:36 am

Yeah, it’s a pretty standard ST story. Hopefully he keeps the weight off.

31. snarkk said, on February 14, 2019 at 11:43 pm

I just read an entire article by Jason Stark in the Athletic about the state of MLB teams heading into ST. How many times did he mention the Giants? ZERO. And, he usually likes the Giants…

32. snarkk said, on February 14, 2019 at 11:53 pm

The Athletic has a ranking of the top 101-200 MLB prospects right now.
    Giants have ONE on that list — Heliot Ramos, at 153.
    The review says he hasn’t hit a lick so far, but he has time yet. But,if that bad hitting continues, he’s going to spiral down in the top 200.. I say just let him play …

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2019 at 11:59 pm

The Giants have only three major prospects right now, and they’ll all be in Single A this season: Bart, Ramos, and Anderson.
      Zaidi was hired to improve the situation. It will take time.

• zumiee said, on February 15, 2019 at 12:05 am

Ramos has a lot of potential, especially for power-hitting. Hopefully with good coaching, he will keep improving. Do the Giants have good coaching in the minors? Zaidi will be evaluating that.

• zumiee said, on February 15, 2019 at 12:08 am

I wouldn’t say Ramos “hasn’t hit a lick” so far. He strikes out a lot, but he’s shown some pop with his bat. His OBP in the minors so far is .333. That’s not bad.

• snarkk said, on February 15, 2019 at 12:13 am

It’s not bad OBP, but not great for low minors if you’re a real hot prospect. He’s just 19, so we’ll see. He doesn’t seem a can’t miss prospect…

• zumiee said, on February 15, 2019 at 12:14 am

It’s important to remember that Ramos is only 19 years old.

• zumiee said, on February 15, 2019 at 12:17 am

I see your point. But it’s up to Giants’ player development. If the Cardinals had the same exact guy and they turned him into a better player, then the Giants have a systemic problem that needs fixing, big-time.